Hugging Home

Run and Hide (Hiatus)

The two girls took a cab back. When they drove by the noodle shop Sammy wondered if Seunghee and Mr. Shin had come back. The restaurant was closed for the day because Mr. Shin was out of town. The cab stopped outside their building and Sammy noticed the apartment light was on.

“Oh, Seunghee’s back.” Eun mi announced.

Sammy paid the driver and the girls rushed in finally feeling the cold air.

“Good night.” Sammy waved to Eun mi.

She waved back and slowly walked up the stairs. Sammy laughed then walked inside.

“I’m back.” She announced, “How was your visit?”

Sammy walked into the living room expecting to see Seunghee alone on the couch. She dropped her keys and bag seeing that she wasn’t alone. The man sitting next to her friend stood up.

“Hi Sammy.” Harry grinned.

“H- Ha- Harry.” She smiled and ran to her older brother.

 

----

 

Sammy couldn’t believe it. She was actually hugging her brother.  The only person she truly missed, a person that she hadn’t seen in a year. She finally let her brother go and laughed when she knew it wasn’t a dream.

“What are you doing here?” she asked wiping her sudden tears.

Harry smiled giving her another hug. Sammy laughed at her self. She couldn’t believe Harry was hugging her.

“I saw your photo on a news site.”

“What?” she asked.

“About Kpop?” he asked questioningly, “And who were those guys?”

Sammy laughed, “Don’t worry about it. Why were you on that type of website anyways?”

“It was actually Liz’s little sister that showed me. She’s a fan of the group.”

Sammy laughed. She couldn’t believe she was found in such a way.

“So I did a bit of investigating and here I am. You know you’re getting sloppy.” He teased.

Sammy scoffed, “I’m getting sloppy? Who did the investigating? I mean really how did you find where I was living.”

“Okay, okay but you are my only sister.” Harry laughed.

“But I’m glad you did. I’ve missed you.”

Harry sighed hugging his sister again.

“Do mum and dad know?” she asked.

He shook his head and Sammy’s heart rate declined. She wasn’t ready to see her parents, not after what she had done to them.

“You know they miss you.” Harry spoke.

Sammy looked at him but then quickly shook her head.

“I’m sure they do but I just can’t go home yet. Not after what I did.” She sighed and sat on the couch, “How are they?”

“I’ll get you some tea.” Seunghee suddenly spoke up.

Sammy looked at her friend and nodded her thanks. Harry came and sat down next to her.

“They’re okay, haven’t changed a bit. Dad is still teaching me the business and Mum has her book club and her fundraiser dinners. Same old, same old.” He patted her hand comforting her.

She smiled feeling better about her parents.

“But I’m not here to bring you back. I only wanted to see you.” He said, “I missed you. So does Elizabeth.”

“Oh, how is your fiancé doing? Have you guys gotten married?” Sammy smiled and examined her brother’s hand.

He shook his head.

“We both want you at the wedding. So we’re waiting.” He smiled.

Sammy stared at her brother in disbelief.

“What? You can’t wait for me. You two have been waiting for years now.”

“We’re not rushing the wedding. It’s not that important to us.” He stated.

“But you can’t use me as an excuse to not get married. Mum and Dad must be so angry with me.” Sammy sighed and hugged her brother again.

He patted her back, “It’s not because of you.” He chuckled, “You’re not the center of attention you know.”

Sammy laughed and pushed Harry away.

“I know.”

Harry looked around the small apartment nodding his head.

“This is a nice place.”

“It is. I really lucked out meeting Seunghee.”

“She’s nice.” He agreed.

At the mention of her name Seunghee walked in with a tray of tea and set them down.

“Here uh, tea.” She smiled and handed one to Harry.

Sammy smiled hearing Seunghee speak English. Harry smiled saying thank you in Korean.

“Oh! You know Korean?” she asked.

Harry nodded, “We have a few clients in Busan so I’m learning it. I’m not as good as Sammy though.”

“It’s very good.” Seunghee smiled.

Harry grinned and took a sip of his tea. He sat back down and Sammy grabbed her tea as well noticing there were only two cups.

“Where’s your cup?” she asked her friend.

“You two should talk. I’m just going over to my fathers for the night.” She nodded.

Sammy smiled and waved Seunghee goodbye.

“How long are you here for?” she asked Harry.

“Just a few days. I’m actually supposed to be in Busan right now but there were scheduling issues with our partners so I decided to come look for you.” He sighed.

She nodded. Sammy didn’t know what else to say. She was starting to feel guilty and selfish for leaving.

“How have you been? What have you been doing this past year?” he asked, “What made you leave?”

Sammy looked at her brother trying to come up with a suitable answer. She knew the answer to the first two but it was the last one that she had trouble answering. She knew the reason a year ago but now, looking back, she didn’t know.

“Currently I feel content. I’m happy.” She smiled.

“That’s good to hear.” He nodded.

“And for the past year. I’ve just been everywhere. I went to New York first, spent a month their being a tourist then moved on to Florida for a couple of weeks. After that I went to go work as a waitress in L.A. I was there for two months.  After that, I got work in Toronto as a temp for some art gallery then moved on to Vancouver just to get away.  I spent a week in Spain, Greece, and then ended up in China.  Now I’ve been here for almost a month and a half, going back and forth between 2 jobs.”

Harry looked at her disbelievingly.

“Wow, you have been almost everywhere.” He smiled.

Sammy nodded, “I couldn’t stay in one place for too long.”

“Okay well that was a brief overview of your year. You know you might have to beef it up when you see Liz.” He laughed.

Sammy agreed and promise she would. The room was quiet as Harry waited for his sister to answer his last question.

“Sammy,” he asked.

“I know. I can’t find the words as to why I left.” She sighed, “I guess you can say that I felt suffocated. I couldn’t handle the pressure as well as you did. I couldn’t follow in our parents footsteps.”

Sammy stopped realizing how dumb she sounded.

“I feel like a brat.” She sniffed.

Harry wrapped his arm around his sisters’ shoulders.

“You’re not exactly a brat.” He spoke.

“No, then I’m a horrible daughter.” she sniffled.

“Quit it Sammy. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. We make mistakes. We’re human it’s how we learn.” He sighed.

Sammy stayed quiet, letting her brothers words set in. They both stayed quiet for a few minutes. It wasn’t until they heard the door that they moved. Sammy wiped her tears and got up.

Seunghyun was waiting on the other side.

“Oh, what are you doing here?” she asked rubbing her eyes “Isn’t it late?”

He looked at with concern and invited himself in. Sammy didn’t care and let him close the door.

“I was worried. You didn’t answer your phone.” He answered, “Are you okay? What’s going on?”

“Nothing.” She answered.

“Have you been crying?” he looked into her eyes.

Sammy’s breath got caught in as she stared into Seung hyun’s deep brown eyes. They held so much concern.

“Sammy, who is it?” Harry asked from the living room.

Seunghyun looked in that direction. A puzzling look came across his face.  Sammy could also see jealousy.

“It’s a friend.” She answered just to .

Seunghyun looked at her in surprise.

“Who’s that?” he asked.

Without waiting for an answer he walked into the other room. Sammy followed enjoying seeing him like this.

“Oh, Hello, I’m Harry.” Her brother smiled.

Seunghyun looked at him then at Sammy.

“Who is he?” he asked again.

Sammy laughed and walked past him to her brother and getting another look from Seunghyun.

“Seunghyun, this is my brother Harry.” She smiled.

Seunghyun stood there with wide eyes but then he bowed in respect.

“Ah, hello. I’m Choi Seunghyun. Nice to meet you.” He spoke with respect.

Harry was surprised at his actions but nodded anyways.

“Are you guys…” he raised his eyebrows.

Sammy eyes widen at her brother and she shook her head. Harry understood her actions and knew not to ask.

“What did he say?” Seunghyun whispered.

“Nothing important.” She giggled.

“Sammy, I should be getting going.” Harry spoke.

“You’re such an adult.” She grinned hugging her brother.

“Yes, I am.” He sighed, “I wish I could stay the night but my meeting is in the morning.”

“I understand. I’m just happy to have seen you.” She said placing a kiss on his cheek.

“I feel the same.” He told her.

Sammy handed him his bag as they reached the door. She was tempted to take it as hostage just so he wouldn’t have to leave.

“If you come home then our next visit could be sooner.” He mused.

“It’s not time yet.” She sighed.

Harry nodded and took his bag. He gave her one last hug.

“Don’t be too long.” He whispered.

Sammy watched as the door close. She felt the tears forming but kept them in.  She felt a pair of arms wrap around her. She looked up and Seunghyun was watching the door close too. She wiped the tears away then turned around to wrap her arms around him.

“So what’s the real reason you came by?” she smiled.

“Are you okay?”

“I will be.” She nodded.

“How long has it been?” he asked.

“What do you mean?”

“How long has it been since you’ve been home?”

“What?” she asked.

“Sammy.” He sighed.

She stepped away from him and wrapped her arms around herself.

“What are you talking about?” she laughed.

She picked up the tea mugs and made her way to the kitchen. Sammy wasn’t sure if she was ready to talk about her family with him. They’ve only met a couple of weeks ago and she has only begun to like him. The way he looked at her earlier told her that he really liked her but she didn’t know if she liked him as much as he did.

“I think you should go home. You look exhausted.” She told him.

“I’m not exhausted and I rather be spending time with you.” He spoke walking to her.

“Seunghyun, please. I’m sorry but I’d rather be alone right now.” She whispered to hide the tears in .

“That’s not what you need.” He wrapped her in his arms.

Sammy unwrapped them instantly and turned to him, “But it’s what I want. Please go.” She walked over to the door and opened it.

“Fine.” He spoke with a frustrated voice, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

She nodded and opened the door wider. He let out an exasperated sigh then gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Good night.” He whispered then left.

Sammy closed the door then walked over to the couch. She wrapped herself with a blanket and closed her eyes.

She was missing home. 

 

~~~

Hi! are you guys! It's been a LONG time hasn't it? I'm so so so sorry!! This year has been extrememly busy and I can't believe it's been a year since my last update. So it's okay if you've forgotten this story. I have the chapters done and the story is almost finished. Thank you for reading and see you in the next chapter!!