Satisfication

Run and Hide (Hiatus)

-----A year later-----

 

“Wow you’ve been all over!”

“Yeah, I’ve been traveling for the past year.”

“That’s amazing. Where are you heading now?”

“I think I’m heading there.”

Sammy pointed to the screen filled with places from all over the world. She didn’t know why she felt like going in that direction but she was tired of traveling America, Canada, and parts of Europe. It was time to head to Asia.

“South Korea,” the girl nodded agreeing with her decision, “Why there?”

Sammy picked up her backpack, “Just a feeling.” she simply said before walking away.

As Sammy got into line she looked back on all the places she’s visited. Out of all the places none of them felt like home to her. She was looking for a place where she felt she belonged. Back in London she had family but she never felt like she belonged with them. Her family had great expectations of her.

She had gone to private school, she had the grades, and she had the trust fund. All she needed was to graduate from University as a lawyer and get into politics and marry another wealthy man.

But that wasn’t what she wanted. Samantha, who always liked the name Sammy, better, didn’t want her life planned out. She hated following orders and since her family was built around orders she didn’t feel like she belonged with them. So the day she turned 21 and was able to touch a quarter of her money, she took it all out and ran away.

Sammy lined up to buy her one way ticket to South Korea. Pretty soon she checked in her luggage and boarded the plane. She’s done it so many times that it had become a regular routine. It felt like five minutes to her but it was really an hour or so to get into the international gates.

She didn’t know what she would do when she’d get there but it was far from home.

And that all that mattered to Sammy.

--

When Sammy’s arrived she took a bus to Seoul and just walked around the streets. She started looking for a job right away. She walked into a noodle shop where there was a “help wanted” sign. It was the first and last time she thanked her father for forcing her to take 6 different languages. Luckily one of the languages she chosen was Korean.

As soon as she walked into the place though, the man in the kitchen quickly came out. He looked annoyed and completely tired. Sammy took a look around the place and it was fairly busy and the man seemed to be the only one working at the moment.

He shook his hands at her and tried to push her out of the store. He was telling her “No foreigners” to her in English.

“Sir, please stop I speak Korean.” she spoke.

The man stopped and looked at her.

“Ahh,” he nodded his head.  “Sorry but no more customers. Can’t you see I’m busy.” he huffed.

“Sir that is why I’m here, I can help you.” she smiled and held the help wanted sign.

It seemed like he didn’t want to really give a foreigner a job but he didn’t have a choice. It was too much work for one person to do.

“Okay. I’ll see how you do and I’ll decide if I’ll hire you.” he nodded.

Sammy smiled and happily nodded. She followed him back into the kitchen and he pointed to the corner telling her to leave her bag there. He then threw an apron at her and told her to hand out the food to the customers. She happily agreed and went to work.

She freely spoke with the customers and it seemed like she was doing a good job. A few hours later when the place was empty Sammy heard the door open and a girl walked in.

“Dad, I’m sorry I’m late.” she spoke and walked to the kitchen.

“Seung Hee, where have you been?” he asked.

The girl went on to talk about how she almost lost her apartment because of late rent and that she had to agree to go on a date with the landlady’s son if she couldn’t get the money today.

“Aish, you always get into trouble. You should get a roommate.” he huffed.

“Dad, you know how hard it is to find a trusting person these days.” she pouted.

He nodded, “Just help close up.”

She smiled then turned around and finally noticed Sammy, who was busy cleaning the floor.

“Hello!” Seung Hee smiled. “Who are you?”

“Hello,” Sammy slightly bowed, “I’m Sammy Edwards. Your father hired me for the night.” she answered.

“For the night no you’re here permanently.” he announced. “Sammy right?” he asked

Sammy nodded then smiled, “Thank you sir.” she bowed respectfully, “I’ll work really hard.”

She got back to work with a smile on her face while her boss’s daughter got to work but stayed quiet. Sammy didn’t take much notice of her since she enjoyed keeping a low profile.

“So, Sammy where are you from?” the daughter asked.

Sammy looked at her a bit surprised at the sudden voice. “Oh, umm I’m from England.”

“Wow. That’s cool I have to admit.” She smiled genuinely, “So how long have you been in Korea? Your Korean is very good.” she added.

“Thank you.” Sammy spoke quietly, “I’ve been learning for three years now. I –uh am a fast learner I’ve been told.” she meekly added.

“That’s lucky, I’m Shin Seung Hee.” she smiled.

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you.” Sammy bowed.

“You’re so formal! How old are you?” she asked.

“I’m 22.”

“I’m 22 too, so there’s no need to be so formal with me” Seung Hee laughed.

Sammy lightly smiled agreeing with her and a small laugh came out of her.

“You didn’t answer my first question.” Seung Hee spoke.

“This is actually my first day in Seoul.” she shrugged.

“Your first day?!” SeungHee asked in a surprised voice.

Sammy nodded.

“Do you have a place to stay?” she asked.

“Yah! You two are not done working!” her father cut in. “There’s still an hour till closing! Get cleaning!” he shook his fist at them.

“Yes, dad.” SeungHee sighed.

She looked back at Sammy and suppressed a giggle which made Sammy do the same thing. The two girls continued to quietly talk to one another as they worked forming a small friendship between them.  The two were so caught up in their conversations about their favourite movies that they didn’t realize it was time to close. Seung Hee’s father had to turn off the lights in order to get the two attentions.

“Yah! It’s time to leave.” he announced.

Sammy stood up quickly, bowed to her boss and then went to grab her duffel bag and jacket. Seung Hee noticed how huge her bag was and wondered why she didn’t leave her bag at home.

“Sammy? Why did you bring a huge bag?” she asked.

Sammy looked at her startled by the question. She bit her lip trying to come up with an excuse but her mind was coming up blank.

“Do you not have a place yet?” she asked.

Sammy sighed but nodded her head. Seung Hee shared a look with her dad and they both knew that she found her roommate.

“Well now you do! You’ll live with me!” she grinned.

“Oh no, I possibly can’t” Sammy waved her hands at her.

“No really I need someone to help with the rent.” she smiled.

“Sammy you’ll live with Seung Hee. She needs someone to get her to work on time.” the older man included.

Sammy bowed her head at him and hid a smile of pleasure and relief. She nodded at Seung Hee which made her laugh with glee. She grabbed a hold of Sammy’s arm and they both left.

The owner of the restaurant watched as the two girls walked down the street. His daughter was walking with a hop in her step and his new worker looked to be relieved. He nodded his head at them then looked at the stars.

“Do you see that honey? I think our Seung Hee has found a new friend.” he smiled walking home.