Chapter 1: Our Reunion

The Pretty Face behind the Curtains

Chapter 1: Our Reunion

I’m Kim Ji-eun, a girl who loves to read and a girl who believes in fairy tale.  My life is pretty simple except for the fact that my hair is always covering my face, the fact that my mom died when she has given birth to me and the fact that I’m miles away from my father and live with my grandparents.  Kay! Maybe I’m not a normal girl; I’m a bookworm for crying out loud!  I l love to read books and that’s what I do all day long I can survive without technology nor food but not without a book.  My classmates normally call me the Sadako Girl, Freak and others you get the picture.  Actually I never thought that I would meet my father again after all it’s been 16 years since because he left me in my grandparents care since the day I was born. My mom was the only child so after she died my grandparents took care of me.  I was kind of nervous and excited at the same time because after many years I will meet my real father.  But the bad news is I will have to leave my loving grandparents.  Even though it’s hard for me and them I really have to do this to familiarize myself to Korea my father’s nation.  My mom is actually a half-Spanish and half-Singaporean while my dad is a pure blooded Korean.  Actually for the past 16 years I’ve been studying how to speak Korean because I know this day would come.  Okay! Okay! Enough with the introduction let’s go to the part where my dad would pick me up at the airport.

After 2 hours of traveling I’ve finally reach my destination Korea, Seoul to be particular.  As usual my hair is covering my face so it took me and my dad a while to find each other.

“Ji-eun! My daughter is that you?!” my father exclaimed.

“Ne! dad it’s me! Ji-eun you’re daughter.” I said smiling beneath my hair.

“You really have grown a lot since then.  I remember holding you in my arms. Now you’re very tall and pretty.”” Okay! Enough with the chit-chat let’s go and I’ll buy you lunch you must be hungry from the trip.”

“Ne!” I answered while walking.

“Dad actually I’ve grown a lot are you nuts dad! If I hadn’t grown you will be much more terrified and besides dad you meet me I think only for a month then you left! DUH! And how can you say I’m pretty you don’t even saw my face.” I said in my head angrily while I and dad were driving.

“So Ji-eun how was Singapore?  How are your grand-parents?” my dad ask.

“Oh!  grandmom and granddad are fine , and Singapore was a lot of fun too.” I answered.

“How about you Ji-eun do you have any boyfriend?” my dad ask while looking at me curiously as if his examining me.

“I’m fine dad, and I don’t have a boyfriend and that’s not in my mind yet so don’t ask about it okay dad!” I answered irritated.

“Okay! That’s very good to hear.” He ended.

We stopped at a restaurant beside the river.  I think it really is relaxing our here.  I started to grab my backpack and get the book that I was currently reading titled “Hush Hush” it’s an English book but I know how to read and speak English as well.   The waitress passes us the menu.

“I’ll order one beefsteak and you’re best white wine please.  How about you darling what will be your order?” my dad said while looking at me.

“I’ll order a beefsteak, fries and a burger please and please I a soda.  Thanks.”  I ended.

Before the waitress leave I can see her surprise with what I have ordered.  Besides anyone would be shock that I have such an appetite for a petite girl like me.  After the lunch my dad tells story about my mom which I always hear from my grand mom.

 After an hour of traveling we stopped at a beautiful house.   My dad told me that this is the place where I, my mom and he should live.  It’s actually designed by mom during the time that my mom was pregnant with me.  It was very amazing and beautiful because it has a swing outside with a pretty  stones and plants around.  This is such a nice place for me to read lots of books I already can see myself reading lot’s of books.  Okay! I was very happy until my dad bring up a conversation.

“Honey, you’ll be going to school tomorrow!” he excitedly said.

“WHAT!SCHOOL!TOMORROW!?” I shouted.

“Yes, honey are you not excited?!” my dad said smiling.

“NOPE!AFTER  3RD GRADE DAD I WAS HOMESCHOOLED!” I said angrily.