Birthday

Star-crossed

 

“Enjoying your birthday party so far?” my dad came up to me, swirling his glass of wine on his hand. “I have more events planned for you later.”

 

I faked a smile. “Yeah, it’s fun. Thanks Dad, for hosting this.” I said, avoiding his gaze. It’s not even like my birthday party. More like some ballroom dance for his wedding anniversary. I tried hard not to scowl and put on my best fake smile throughout this celebration. Dad even forced me to put on a dress that was way too revealing for me. I hugged myself even tighter.

 

“You’re welcome, Kyung Mi-ah. Please don’t just stand here and try mingling around with the sirs. They are very friendly actually.” He said, casting me a smile before scooting off to his friends. I exhale a sigh. This is totally not my party.

 

“Oh and before I go off, come with me. I have to introduce you to this young man.” I followed my dad through the large swarm of crowds and into the center of the ballroom. The guests’ eyes were on my every movement and me. I bit my lip – a habit that I can never get rid off no matter how hard I try and kept close to my bed. I lowered my head when he stopped walking and hid behind him, away from the crowds.

 

I hated crowds. Never was a fan of ‘center of attention.’ If only Daehyun was here… But yesterday’s encounter felt so surreal – too mystical for my own good. I met an Estrovian but he didn’t kill me.

 

He didn’t kill me.

 

It’s so weird, so bizarre. In my whole life I was taught that Estrovians murder without blinking. They are heartless, ruthless and extremely thirsty for blood. But the boy I met yesterday seemed perfectly normal. Except for his eyes and hair colour that eventually changed back to normal, he seemed really fine.  

 

“Kyung Mi?” I snapped my head up when I heard my name and realized that my dad wasn’t here anymore, instead the gorgeous young man replaced him. “Kyung Mi? Are you all right?”

 

I didn’t know I was staring, like literally staring at him with my mouth hung open and looking like a retarded moron. I shook, cleared my head and looked away. “Um, yeah.” What the heck is he doing here?

 

“Great. I thought something happened.” He said. “I’m Myung Soo. But I prefer people calling me L.” L introduced himself. Trying not to be rude, I turned my attention back to him, purposely avoiding his eyes.

 

“Hey, I’m Kyung Mi… I mean you knew that already.” I stuttered, heat rose up to my cheeks. L chuckled.

 

“Don’t be nervous. Wanna dance? I bet you’ll be comfortable dancing.” He suggested, taking out his hand, waiting for me to take it.

 

I looked away again. “I’m sorry but I at dancing.”

 

“Oh really,” he took his hand back. “Then lets sit down and talk. Like you, I hate crowds.” He grinned and took my hand and pulled me through the crowds effortlessly. I yelped as I nearly tripped over somebody’s leg but L caught me in time.

 

“Wow, I’m sorry. I’m not really good with ladies.” He apologized, pulling out the chair for me to sit. “Here, please sit.”

 

I smiled and sat. “Thank you.” L settled down beside me, passing me a glass of orange juice. I took it, appreciating his kindness. He didn’t seem so bad like I’d expected after all.

 

“So, tell me, why did you want to be a Guard?” L asked. “No offence, I’m just curious.”

 

I played with my drink, circling my fingers around the glass. “I don’t know. I just kinda grew up learning how to be a Guard. I guess it’s just in my blood – you know my dad…” I answered.

 

“Ah, I see. That’s cool. Training’s going to get tough, I won’t go easy on you ‘cause you’re a girl.” He joked, flashing a set of perfect white teeth. Well that broke the ice. I laughed.

 

“You better not.” I added.

 

“Woah, I like your guts. Anyway, I gotta leave now. I’m having a meeting with your dad and the committee. I see you around. Goodnight, Kyung Mi-ah.” He gave me a brief hug. “Oh and happy birthday. 18 years old is a magical age.” I blushed and said my thanks before watching him leave.

 

My birthday celebration ended without any cakes but I was happy I made a new friend. I went up to my room and got changed before settling into bed. Just a few more minutes before turning 18… I wonder how is it like. I let my thoughts drift off awhile before sleep kicked in. The night wasn’t that bad after all. And L… he’s such a charmer. I hope Guard trainings will be fun.

 

I closed my eyes and relaxed myself and waited for the familiar sound of the clock striking 12 midnight.

 

Tick, tick, tick.

 

Dooongggg~

 

I smiled. “Happy birthday- ommfp,”

 

My oxygen supply was suddenly cut off and I couldn’t breathe. Terror-stricken, I clutched onto my blankets and struggled to comprehend what was happening. When it didn’t work, I clawed my throat wildly, as if somebody’s hand is there and trying to strangle me. I could feel my body getting colder and colder by the second, and the blood pressure on my head increase.

 

I thrashed around my bed, hoping that it would alert one of the servants or trigger the system but I was loosing strength fast.

 

What is happening?


My body was icy cold at first, and then burning hot as if there’s fire in my room. Then a strong gust of wind appeared out of nowhere, making everything in my room fly around. I stared, wide-eyed. But my nightmare wasn’t done. The wind died down and water – water from my hands begin splashing out. I was so frightened until I’m trembling.  My whole body was soaked, including my bed. Then, the ground started shaking, from a slight tremor to a violent, ground-shaking earthquake. I screamed, and screamed and screamed. The back of my neck seared and nothing I do can help sooth it.

 

“Stop this!”

 

Suddenly, I could breathe again and everything died down. When I opened my eyes, I was lying on my bed. Hurriedly, I checked myself. I wasn’t soaked wet. I turned the lights on and realized my stuff weren’t strewn all over.

 

Was it all a dream?

 

I raised my hands up, not surprised that I was still trembling.

 

Did I turn crazy? Maybe that Estrovian from yesterday cursed a spell on me or something. This is so not funny.

 

I got out from my bed and went into the toilet to clear my thoughts and also to relief myself. This is making my bladder go crazy. I turned the water tap on to wash my hands and face one more time before heading back to bed. Lifting my head up, I nearly let out a yell.

 

Staring back at me from the mirror was one pair of glowing, violet eyes. And my hair – it wasn’t brown anymore. It’s ashy white. Wide-eyed, I noticed the back of my neck glowing. I craned my head to get a better look at it. Bile rose up my throat and I swallowed.

 

It is the mark of Estrovia.


Author's Note:

Finally I kinda finish most of the introductions! Most probably will be showing the other side of the world soon! Stay tuned! 
Do comment and subscribe! 

<3

P.S: BAQIAH AND JOYCELYN YOU BOTH UH, LAST WARNING! >:(