Best Friend

Star-crossed

Author’s POV

 

 

Ito was sitting on her chair, rocking herself back and forth as she took a picture frame, brushing her thumb over a particular figure on the old photo. It was a photo of the Queen and King. Beside the Queen was young Ito, being pulled in for a candid photo shoot. At that time the Queen was already eight months pregnant and baby Jael was about to be born.

 

“How are you, Thia? I have good news for you. I found your daughter, Jael. She really look like you – long, wavy hair and those violet eyes. Beautiful.” Ito sighed and placed the photo close to her chest. “I don’t know whether I’m doing the right thing, Thia. We’re blood-sworn sisters, right? The temptation was too much. How could you leave me alone?”

 

Ito placed the picture frame beside the chair and stood up. “It’s all for our own good, Thia. Jael will still become a Princess but the Queen’s throne isn’t meant for her. You know it… Do you?”

 

A knock rapped on the door. “Your Majesty, lunch is ready.”

 

Ito wiped the tear that leaked from her eyes away before squaring her shoulders and lifted her head high. Nothing will make her regret becoming the Queen of this world. Nothing. Not even her best friend’s daughter. With the raw determination that shone in her face, she strode out of her secret chamber that only Ito can go in.

 

**

 

 “Okay, I can do this. So I just have to think about a colour and my respective Magic will appear?” We were back in the training hall the next day after spending one whole day listening to Kai rambling about the five different Elements.

 

“Yes,” Kai answered. “Maybe the switching Elements part is hard but the rest should be fairly simple because you’ve done it before with Fire.” He stood beside me, crossing his arms like how my ‘Dad’ used to instruct me.

 

“Whatever, let’s get this over and done with. It’s not like I would need all five of them anyway.” I said, switching my Aether Core to blue, which represents Water. Aiming for the wall, I released my Magic and water started to gush out from my palms. The ticklish sensation almost made me lose it but I bear with it until Kai told me to stop. “

 

“Enough. Next, Ice.”

 

We continued practicing for the next three hours until a soldier interrupted our training session. “Your Highness and Lady Jael, the Queen wishes to see you both now in her study.”

 

“We’ll be there.” Kai nodded and the soldier scooted off. “We’ll continue tomorrow.”

 

I was nearly dying and with the lack of food, I should be fainting now. My stomach growled loudly, demanding to be fed as we made our way to the Queen’s study room. Didn’t even bother to change into a proper attire, I went into her study feeling restless and cranky as hell. I need food.

 

“Oh! Here you are! Have a seat, please.” The Queen said, pointing to the chairs in front of her. “Just want to inform Jael that her coronation ceremony as Princess Jael will be held this coming Saturday and she’d have to parade around the City.”

 

“I have a coronation ceremony? Wow.” I muttered. Kai glared at me and I zipped my mouth shut.

 

“I understand, Mother.” Kai turned to me again. “Jael, you do know how to ride a horse, right?”

 

I puckered my lips, feeling it’s dryness before answering him. “No. In the Human world we have cars.”

 

“Great.”

 

The Queen laughed. “Well, I leave the horse-riding lessons to Kai, then. Kai please guide her well and be patient. She’s after-all, just a girl.”

 

“I understand, Mother. Anything else?”

 

“No, you may leave.” The Queen waved and we bowed, giving her our respect before moving out of the room.

 

“I guess you’re fated to be my student.” Kai scoffed. My stomach grumbled even louder and I ignored his sarcasm in his tone.

 

“Kai, food. Now.” I was so hungry that I had trouble speaking. All these trainings will make me a glutton sooner or later. Kai acted like he didn’t hear me and looked away, deliberately talking to other soldiers to buy some more time. This is not funny. I am so hungry now I can even eat a cow.

 

No pun intended.

 

“Gosh, Kai if you’re not going to eat, I’ll be going off then. Jerk.” I stomped off without him, intentionally stepping on his feet before leaving.

 

“Argh!” he groaned in pain as he hopped around like an idiot. Hah, that’s for making me wait, Kai. Lifting my head up in the air, I sashayed (with utmost potential of being a bear instead of a model) into the dining hall and asked for food. A couple of minutes later, Kai barged into the dining hall accompanied by Kyungsoo.

 

“Welcome.” I snarled, holding up a fork and pointed to the chair opposite mine. “Take a seat and have a great lunch together, shall we.”

 

“Kyungsoo, have a seat too,” Kai said, ignoring me. Food was served and I chugged them up ungraciously, filling my ravenous stomach. “Please, seriously, eat like a lady will you?”

 

I raised my head up to him, strands of noodles dropping from all corners of my mouth as I talked. “Are you talking to me?”

 

“Oh for the love of God; do not talk when your mouth is full!”

 

Kyungsoo started chuckling at me and I reddened, swallowing the noodles immediately. “I guess you are talking to me.” Kai rolled his eyeballs and face palmed.

 

“Gosh, why am I responsible for teaching this cousin of mine stuff.”

 

“Because you’re the only Royalty here besides the Queen. Say yay to new cousin?” Kyungsoo raised up his hands but let them down awkwardly after noticing Kai not wanting to high-five him.

 

“I would prefer a male cousin rather than a female for various reasons.” Kai said, his lips when his food arrived. I swear I could hear his stomach grumble too but even if he did, he showed no signs of embarrassment like I did. I feel more like an idiot now.

 

“Various reasons. Yeah, right.”

 

“Um…” Kyungsoo started.

 

“What?!”

 

“What!” Kai and I said together in irritation. We both looked at each other while Kyungsoo flicked his gaze from Kai to me and then back to Kai, looking scared.

 

“Just wanna ask if I should prepare a horse or two horses for training later?”

 

“One.” Kai said.

 

“Two.” I said, staring down at Kai. He is really pissing me off real mad.

 

“Right. You know what? I’ll be at the side if you both need me. For now, I shall take my leave while you both bicker over lunch!” Kyungsoo scoffed. He took his plate of food and scooted right at the far end of the dining table. “Call me when you’re done fighting!” he yelled from the back.

 

“You call that taking your leave?! Come back here before I accuse you for defying my orders. I will not even care if you're my best friend!” Kai yelled back at Kyungsoo and he stood up immediately, scuffing back to his original positions. I have no idea what are these two boys were thinking but it’s better for me not to interrupt. 

 

Best friend, huh. I wonder how's Daehyun doing... 

 

Probably not anything good.