Prologue

Star-crossed

“Your Majesty, the Humans are coming at us with the Bombs. We need to get out of this Forest, fast.” Ito, the Queen’s servant said while helping the Queen gets down the sedan. The newborn baby in the Queen’s arm didn’t cry or much less gave out a whimper as they hurried down the tall bushes with only a handful of guards protecting them.

 

“Where is the King?” the Queen demanded, hearing the distant sound of the Bombs behind them. She could put her baby down and fight the Humans but for how long will she last? She must protect her child no matter what.

 

“He’s fighting against the Humans, your majesty. We have to escape to the Palace.” Ito hastily replied, trying her best to expel more light from her hands as she guide her Queen through the Forest. The fog that night was getting thicker and thicker and the Bombings sounds didn’t reside. The Queen’s stamina was reaching its peak and it’s going to be the baby’s milk time.

 

“I can’t go on anymore.”

 

“No, please, your majesty. You have to go on. We’re almost there.” Ito pleaded, “I’ll help you carry the princess.”

 

“No!” the Queen said defensively, clutching to her baby even tighter. “I must hold her. She’s too precious.”

 

Ito lowered her head, feeling guilty. “Then we must leave.”

 

Suddenly, one of the guards collapsed onto the ground, motionless. Followed by the other and another. Panicked gripped her heart as she backed against the tree with Ito. Ito generated more light and managed to light up the area around her.

 

Humans surrounded them. One of them stepped forward, a huge Bomb held in his hand.

 

“Your Majesty? Listen to me very carefully.” Ito whispered as softly as she could. She did not lift her gaze away from the man though. “I’m going to release my light and then we’ll run as fast as we can, do you understand me?”

 

The Queen nodded, pulling her baby closer to her chest. The man stepped forward but darkness blinded him before he could reach for Ito. “Run!” Ito shouted and they both ran.

 

“Chase them!” the Humans said but soon, their voices faded away and the Queen slowed down her pace.

 

“Ito? Ito where are you?” the Queen called but Ito didn’t reply her. Fear consumed her as she stopped in her tracks and looked around the Forest wildly for any signs of Estrovians or Ito. But only darkness greeted her. She looked down at her princess which she and her husband decided to name her Jael. Lee Jael.

 

“I’m sorry my child but I have to put you down for awhile and call for help. Please stay safe.” The Queen placed Jael down and made a comfortable place for her to sleep in. She covered Jael with the leaves but made sure there’s space for her to breathe. The Queen bend down and kissed Jael on her forehead one last time and her forehead glowed. “I’m going to seal your powers until you reach 18 years old in case anything happens. I love you, Jael.”

 

Hovering her palm above Jael’s tiny body, she recited, “O’ Spirits of the gods, please seal away whatever powers the Princess of Estrovia, Lee Jael, possessed until the day she turn 18.” When she was done, the Queen stood up with her eyes glowing violet and prepared to manifest her own Aether , however, she failed to notice a Human creeping up behind her and managed to plunged his knife straight through her heart. The Queen’s scream pierced through the silence of the night.

 

The entire Forest stilled. The Fog cleared. And the nightlife stopped their orchestra as if mourning for the loss of their Queen.

 

Eventually baby Jael joined in the mourning, for her cries were not for milk, but for her mother, which she would never see again.

 

**

 

“There, the Queen is here. I killed her, Commander Park.”

 

“Well done. Now bring her back to the lab for experiments. Where’s the King?” Commander Park asked.

 

“He was dead, too. Lady Kim killed him with her Bombs. The King didn’t expect us to attack on this day when they decided to travel through the Forest for inspection.” The Guards chortled and Commander Park joined in.

 

“Of course. Technology will prevail. Stupid Estrovians. Now get ready to call the army before we storm into Estrovia and take over their Kingdom.” Commander Park turned to leave but a whimpering sound stopped him. “What’s that noise?”

 

“Probably the birds.”

 

“No. It’s not.” He ventured deeper into the Forest and found a source of light glowing from one of the bushes. His heart softened when he found a baby in between the bushes, covered with leaves. The light emitting from her forehead disappeared the moment he touched it.

 

“What’s that?”

 

“A baby.”

 

“Who’s baby?” 

 

“I don’t know.” Commander Park carried the baby and her whimpering stopped. A bright smile appeared on her face. “I’m taking her in.”

 

“What if she’s an Estrovian? It’s too dangerous, Commander. We must eliminate her.” Commander’s Park subordinate said, unsheathing his blade. Commander Park glared at him, stopping him from moving.

 

“What can a baby do? I will train her to be a Human if that’s the case. And besides, if she’s an Estrovian, we can conduct more experiments by using her.” Commander Park began cooing the little on in his thick, gruff arms.

 

“If you say so, Commander.”

 

“I will name this baby Park Kyung Mi which means honor and beauty. I will make sure she doesn’t betray and become part of us. She’s going to be our most powerful ally if things goes wrong.” Commander Park muttered, a weary smile crested his face.