The Test

Star-crossed

 

About 18 years later

 

The security scanner scanned my thumbprint and my eyes before letting me in to the Academy. I was running late and yet all these devices are hindering my way. The Academy was deserted – probably all the students were in class except for me. I fished out my Tracker and hastily sent a text message to Daehyun, hoping that he would delay time before attendance taking.

 

As the Commander’s only daughter, I have to live up to everybody’s expectations. I aced all my subjects in school and I am also the President of the School Council. And just next month, the Academy is going to select our Specialty - the biggest thing of being a senior. There are three choices: Chemist, Doctor or Guard. 

 

A chemist is in charge of our welfare. They invent nutritional pills for us to consume whenever there’s lack of real food or water. They are the ones who made our life better. The Doctor is somewhat like a Chemist just that, well, they fix bodies. Lastly, a Guard. Trained under my father, the Guards are considered the most respectable Specialist in Earth.

 

I am so aiming to be a Guard. That’s for sure.

 

I ascended up the travelator and waited to be transported up to my class. I bit my lip and fidget in the step. The bad thing about this travelator is we can’t move around except to wait. The waiting time kills.

 

Ding Dong

 

The announcement bell rang. I took out my Tracker and waited for the Principal’s face to pop out. Mr. Park’s face appeared on the hologram, his moustache grew even longer than the last time I saw him. He gave a gruff smile before proceeding on.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen. The Specialty Selection has started. Lessons are hereby cancelled for the Seniors and all of you are to proceed to the hall and wait for further instructions. All the best.” Mr. Park closed the hologram. I pressed a button on the side of the travelator and changed my destination to the hall instead.

 

On the way there, I met my bestfriend Daehyun who rounded about the corner and got on to the same travelator track as mine. He cast me a bright grin and ruffled my already messy hair. “You nearly got into trouble today.”

 

“I know.” I said, flinging his hand away and straightened my hair. “I overslept.”

 

“That’s rare, you seldom oversleep. In fact – you never did. Did you take a sleeping pill?” Daehyun joked while we got off the travellator. The students were getting off the same spot, making the aisle narrower than usual. I stick close to Daehyun as we s through the crowd and got into the hall.

 

“I had a dream – I mean nightmare. So I guess I didn’t hear my alarm and slept through it.” I muttered, settling down in a seat not too far from the stage.

 

“Wow, that nightmare must been an adventure for you not to wake up.” Daehyun chuckled. He was exceptionally happy today, I wonder why… “Anyway I asked Haeyoung out for the Christmas Ball and guess what?”

 

Now I know why… I cast a sly grin at my best friend who can’t stop smiling. “What?”

 

“She said yes.”

 

“I knew it.” I slapped his arms and then hug him back, congratulating on that. He’s been crushing on the most popular lady of this school named Haeyoung but didn’t have the guts to ask her out. Luckily the Christmas Ball is round the corner and he asked her.

 

His eyes glowed with happiness. “This is the happiest day of my life. I’m taking her to Starbucks later.”

 

“Wow, that’s fast.” I replied.

 

“It’s not. I’ve been wanting to do this since I met her.” Daehyun’s cheeks grew red and he blew his fringe. He actually looked quite hot when I look closer but seeing his face everyday since when I was two grew into me. I guess I just take Daehyun as my elder brother. I like him that way.

 

“So which Specialist are you going to choose? A Guard?” I asked.

 

“No, my family are all Chemist, remember? Besides, I don’t want to be buffy, I like my body now.” Daehyun grinned, showing his set of nice teeth. I laughed at his silliness.

 

“Whatever. Well I’m going to be a Guard for sure.” I said.

 

“You don’t have to say it, everybody knows you’re going to be a Guard.” Daehyun smirked. “You’ve been dreaming of it all day long.”

 

“Ha, ha. I’m not that obsessed, you know,” I replied, pushing his shoulder away from me.

 

“Yeah, just be very careful of the buffy guys who would trample over your skinny frame once your training starts. I’m not going to save your poor when the time comes.” Daehyun shrugged, turning his attention back on stage where the Principal now stood.

 

“Silence please.” The Principal instructed and the mumblings stopped. “Thank you. Now, we will start assessing each one of you. When your name is called, please proceed to the room beside this Hall. Thank you.” The Principal passed his mic to the discipline master who gave orders on who to go first. It’s by alphabetical order so I’m somewhere in the middle.

 

“Guess I’ll be going ahead first?” Daehyun said giving me a thumbs-up and then a pat on my shoulder. “All the best!”

 

“All the best to you too. Don’t mess up.” I showed him my thumbs-up too.

 

He flashed me another grin, full of confidence. “I won’t.”

 

**

 

When it’s my turn to go, I stood up and adjusted my uniform, making sure that I was perfectly ready for the trail. I wasn’t actually sure what’s going to happen when I walk through the door – maybe a monster attacking me? Or I need to answer a bunch of questions?

 

Anticipation bubbled in me as the teacher opened the door for me to enter. Inside was not what I was expecting. Bombs, all different kind of bombs displayed on the table as if beckoning me to pick them up. The room was all white and a behind the bomb table was three sets of closed doors.

 

The door closed behind me, living me alone in the room. I steadied my breath. The PA system cackled. “Welcome, Park Kyung Mi, ID number 180777. In this room, you have to choose your Speciality. The three doors will open before you and only you will make your own decisions. Well then, all the best.” The announcer didn’t say what’s going to happen or anything and just left me there. I bit my lip, waiting anxiously for the doors to open.

 

Not for long, the three doors swung opened and two figures stepped in, only the middle one didn’t have anybody. Both of them stepped into the light. I didn’t have the chance to think or to breathe when they lunged at me with a dagger on their hands.