Encounter

Star-crossed

Guards were patrolling the Forest everywhere and I had to ninja my way through in case any of them recognizes me and report me to my Dad about this. I hid behind the big trunks and mentally cursed about the lights that illuminated this entire piece of land. This event is not going to work for me. I should turn back and go home.

 

However, the more I stayed and lingered in the Forest, the more I didn’t want to leave and here I am, standing  just right before the border that Haeyoung warned as about. It wasn’t basically a visible border but the difference between the two sides is very big. There is no light.

 

There is no light on the other side. But the trees and bushes and even the animals on the other end seemed more kinder and when the wind blew, it just make the sight before me like a walking orchestra, inviting me to join their musical. I bit my lip and looked around me. I know I may be the stupid-est Human ever but it’s just a step. I lifted my foot up and crossed that border, stepping on the soft ground. When I feel that it’s safe, I brought my other foot over.

 

The nostalgia hit my chest with a hard pang. The trees around me swayed as if clapping and pulling me forward. Before I knew it, I lost track of the border and ventured deeper into the Forbidden Forest. The flowers that bloomed beautifully brushed against my legs as I walked and the tiny birds chirped.

 

I shouldn’t be feeling blissful or anything but this is too real to be true. If any Estrovian caught me here, I doubt I would be able to make it out alive. Maybe I should leave. I sighed and turned back to where I started and walk but stopped mid-way when I feel the sudden eeriness rising behind my back. Goosebumps popped all over my skin as I bend down to take my knife from thigh.

 

The wind grew stronger, preventing me from reaching my legs. I stumbled back and my back hit against the tree. Before I could get back on my feet, somebody stood in front of me, his hands wrapped around my neck but didn’t apply any pressure. I looked up.

 

Eyes the colour of sea waves stared into mine. It glistened in the dark and even though it’s supposed to be scary, but I was star struck. I couldn’t see the rest of his features though but am hundred percent sure this guy is an Estrovian.

 

I kicked his shins hard, making him release the loose grip around my neck. But with inhumane speed, he got back up and didn’t hesitate to wrap his fingers around my neck again. This time he squeezed it hard. I choked and cough, lacking the strength to fight against him.

 

I was losing consciousness, becoming lightheaded and dizzy. If I could just bring my arm up and punch him on his face, I’d loosen his grip around my neck.

 

“Don’t fight it,” he breathed into my ear. “Just give up already, human.”

 

I attempted shaking my head, but the movement only makes him squeeze my neck even tighter. I panicked. My vision started blurring. I couldn’t make out the tall trees and bushes around me anymore. Get a grip, Kyung Mi. Just do what you usually do during training. Bringing my hand up, I grabbed the Estovian’s shirt and pulled it over his head, blocking his sight. And it worked! He loosened his hold and I collapsed onto the ground, my legs trembling.

 

“Oh ,” he cursed, finding his way out of his shirt. I wasted no time and sprint into a run, darting out of the Forest. However, my legs were still weak and I was still feeling faint from just now. This was a bad idea. Going to the Forest was a stupid idea. I shouldn’t have listened to Daehyun. Heaving heavily, I heard feint footsteps from behind me, slowly getting louder and louder.

 

Then the footsteps were gone.

 

WHACK

 

The Estrovian knocked me down from behind and I crumpled onto the damp ground. My ears rang and the world spun. He stepped beside me, blue eyes boring into mine. “You should heed my advice next time, human.” I swung my leg out at him but he dodged it easily. I reached my thigh for my knife but he saw my action and grabbed my hand, pinning me behind my back. He straddled my legs, stopping my movement completely. I winced in pain.

 

“So, tell me – What are you doing in the Forest? And honestly, you’re quite a beauty considering the fact that you’re a human.” His tone was cocky, and by the way he acts, I’m sure he’s one of the nobles in Estrovia. I ignored him.

 

“Why aren’t you saying anything? Scared that I’ll kill you?”

 

“Just kill me. That’s what all your kind do, right? Killing. Murdering.” I snapped, twisted my neck to catch a better view of him. My breath hitched; this Estrovian was even more gorgeous now that I see him clearly. The moonlight rays reflected his striking blonde hair and stormy blue eyes these are the effects of shape shifting into an Estrovian. He shifted his head a little and I caught the sight of his button-like nose and luscious plump lips.

 

A jolt of spark pierced through my skin so sudden that I cried. “No, you’re the ones who are kidnapping my people for god-knows what reason. I don’t actually hate your race, you know. But sometimes it’s quite disappointing that you humans have these kind of mentality.” He scoffed and loosened his hold on my wrist after that the Estorvian got up, looking down at me with those blue eyes that now slowly resided back to its usual dark colour. Even his hair, too, turned back to dark brown.

 

“Isn’t it true, then? Do you kill people?” I asked, tearing my gaze away from his hair. The Estrovian raised a brow and squat beside me and lifted my chin up. I furrowed my brows at him and spotted a serpent-like thing snaking its way up from his collarbone to the back of his ears. It’s the Estrovian Mark that my professor was talking about. Because of the dark, I can’t see it clearly but I am sure that the mark is beautiful and deadly. Though I don’t know how deadly it is.

 

“Doesn’t mean we have the power, we use it to kill, sweetheart.” He said softly. This time, his touch shocked me in another way that makes my stomach churn with butterflies and my head woozy. He held my gaze for a few seconds and let the silence comfort us. Then, steeling his eyes on me again, he dropped his hand, the warmth leaving me instantly.

 

“Just go, human. Make sure you don’t ever step into here again.”

 

I left.

 

But a part of me tells me that I will come back.