The Raid

Star-crossed

 

Jael’s POV

 

“All right, I’ll just pick this revolver. Seems light and user-friendly,” I said, touching it’s shiny black futuristic body. I tested the pistol grip and tried aiming it at something else. It was lighter than any other guns and I personally like having a revolver.

 

“Do you know how to use it?” L questioned, tucking his own gun in his holster that was on his sides. He’d done picking his own gun and is now finding some clothes for concealing his identity.

 

“Yea, of course. It’s quite easy,” I said, sounding a little doubtful after saying that. Where do I aim? The head? The chest? L stepped behind me, grabbing my shoulder and turned it so that it was parallel to my legs. “L, I said I know…” He appeared beside me, raising a brow.

 

“Show me,” he taunted. “Aim at that guy,” he pointed to Kai who was busy picking his own weapon of destruction and not noticing me. I smiled smugly, lifting my hands up and aimed at Kai’s head. “That’s wrong,” L said, putting his hand under my elbow and patted it upwards. “Straightened your elbow, relax your shoulders.”

 

I did what he said and pretended not to notice his nearness towards me. Our shoulders were touching rather intimately and he was relaying instructions just beside my ear, his breath tickling it. Other than that, honestly, his method worked and I felt even more confident over my gun. “That’s the way. Now – shoot without hesitating.”

 

“Um, L… I got this. So can you please excuse yourself…” I mumbled, feeling a little uncomfortable with him standing so close to me. Just when he was about to pull away, Kai took this time to turned his head to my direction. His eyes flitted from me and then to L who was so closed to me. I immediately pulled my gun back and scooted away from L.

 

“I’m done,” Kai said, walking towards us. He, too, tucked his own gun into his own holster, looking like a real Human Guard now.

 

“I’ll pay so you guys can just wait outside,” L said, moving towards the counter. Kai stopped him by gripping his shoulder.

 

“Thanks for the ‘gun lesson’ just now. I’ve learnt a lot,” Kai mused, his two dark brown orbs glaring into L’s. L just gave him an innocent smile.

 

“It was my pleasure,” the tension in this small little hidden store increased and I had to roll my eyes again. What is really wrong with these two boys? Honestly. I stepped in between them and pushed the both of them away.

 

“You,” I pointed to L, “pay. And you,” I faced Kai. “We go out.”

 

I can’t believe I’m with them. Unbelievably childish. Oh gosh.

 

 

**

 

I remember this place; the whiteness of everything reminds me of the past life which I choose desperately to forget. Some parts have changed though – like the picture frame of me that was usually on his desk was gone and replaced with something else. Everything was an act that the Commander has scripted.

 

“Let’s rummage through the drawers. Probably have some key to the hidden room,” I said, pointing at the row of drawers just below the desk. The place was too quiet today and it felt so weird not having Guards around. There must be some trick going on because the Commander wouldn’t just let us in without going through any obstacles.

 

“I’ll keep a watch out here,” L offered while Kai and I proceeded to ransack the drawers. I expected it to be full of papers and documents but there were none and it’s weird – the Commander should have a lot of files and documents to work on but all the drawers are empty.

 

Is this a trap?

 

I pulled the bottom-most drawer and a key-card was inside. “I think I found the key but it’s so weird – it’s like trying to lure us into something. Probably this is a trap.” I said, lifting the key-card for the boys to see.

 

L approached me and I dropped the card on his palm. He inspected it with his own communicator devices. “It’s the real card to the secret room down this hallway.”

 

“Are you sure we’re going? It might be a trap. The Commander must’ve known that we’re here and set this trap for us.” I said, standing up and straightening my jacket. It was cold here and I am feeling anxious. Something is definitely not right.

 

“Maybe it’s the festival that he’s attending?” L said, gesturing for us to follow him as we snuck out of the room and hurried to the end of the hallway where there’s a high chance of Kyungsoo and the rest being trapped inside. It’s the only room that L doesn’t have the permission to enter even as a second highest rank in this world.

 

“Yeah but still – there should be Guards around here. But look,” I stopped and swept the room with my hand. “There’s none.”

 

“Since we’re here already, I don’t want to back out now. Just think of it as a golden opportunity.” Kai said, determined to rescue his best friend. “And it’s now or never.” We picked up our pace again and halted just in front of the laser-protected door. L brought the card up to the scanner but I held him back, meeting him with my gaze.

 

“Are you sure it’s going to be all right?”

 

“Do you want to rescue them or not?” L asked, eyes hardened as he hovered the card just above the scanner. “It’s not my duty to save Estrovians but I owe Kyungsoo one so I came to help you guys and repay the debt. That’s it.”

 

“You owe Kyungsoo…?” I didn’t mean to pry but since it’s out of my mouth – I wanted to know. Did something happened when Kyungsoo was kidnapped?

 

“Long story short – he kinda saved my life. But he still got kidnapped in the end.” L said dismissively. I can tell he didn’t want to talk about it so I didn’t probe any further. “So – to go or not?”

 

“We go, now.” Kai demanded, eager to save his best friend and not really think about the risks. I can’t really blame him though. I sighed and nodded my head.

 

“Yes, go.”

 

L swiped the card on the scanner and the laser slowly disappeared and the red light that showed on the scanner turned to green. It was safe to proceed. My heartbeat accelerated and anticipation climbed up in me when L twisted the doorknob opened. The door swung inwards and he stepped in first. Followed by Kai. Neither of them made any comments when they went in, I wonder what’s inside?

 

“So is there anything inside?” I asked, closing the door and made sure nobody saw us. I turned and stepped beside Kai, totally not ready for the scene that befall in front of us. A sharp gasp escaped from me and I opened my mouth to scream but my throat closed up – no sound came out. I tasted bile on my tongue and I resisted the urge to puke my lunch all over the white, marbled floor.

 

“Oh my God…Dae – ”my voice cracked and I slammed my palms over my mouth. My legs were shaking and the world spun. This is too much 

 

“This is really cruel…” I heard L muttered. Kai was staggering forward, dropping his gun that he was holding it the whole time.

 

Rows and rows of life-sized water container filled with Humans and Estrovians were inside. It filled up the whole room like some aquarium – just that there are no fishes or sea animals but people. My evil ‘Dad’ is conducting an evil and crazy experiments on these people and made them look so – horrifying.

 

All of them had their eyes opened, and their body poked with different type of tubes. They are still alive – barely breathing but alive. And just right in front of us was Daehyun and Kyungsoo’s container.