Farming

Star-crossed

 

“Keep us in sight within fifteen meters but don’t make a ruckus in Town.” Kai instructed his soldiers and they nodded in unison. Kai requested Kyungsoo to be the only one staying beside us whereas the rest be somewhere further.

 

“Why can’t you just send them away?” I asked. “I mean like it’s not going to be that dangerous, right?”
 

Kai flicked my forehead and it stung with immediate pain. I glared at him whilst rubbing my forehead to reduce the pain. “Nothing is safe when it comes to a Royal and a pretty lady.”

 

“Yeah, Kai’s right.” Kyungsoo added.

 

Instead of scowling like Kai had expected me to, I grinned wildly. “So you’re saying I’m pretty? Thanks for the compliment, I am so flattered.” I flipped my ashy hair, making sure I hit him square on his face. Kyungsoo started snickering beside us when Kai grumbled when my hair slapped him.

 

“I swear if you don’t stop doing this I’m not going to bring you around.” He gnarled, attempting to be fierce but his expression showed otherwise. I joined in Kyungsoo’s laughter, making Kai even more provoked. He huffed and frowned then stomped off without us. I looked at Kyungsoo, and shook my head.

 

“Is he really your best friend?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged cutely. “Sometimes I, myself, doubt so too.”

 

“I heard that!” Kai hollered from the front.

 

“Oops…”  We both said, getting caught from Kai. “Well, at least now he knows.” I added.

 

“Stop talking behind my back and hurry up!” Kai called and we hurried on to catch up with him. This was a quieter part of the Town and occasionally I get curious stares from the public but more of them were more like ‘admiration’ stare rather than ‘rude stare’. I felt comfortable returning back smiles.

 

Just then, while I was casually looking at a shop which sells very cute hair clips, an old lady accidentally crashed onto me. She fell and all the contents spilled out from her bags of groceries. Most of the food are vegetables. “Gosh! I’m so sorry!” I helped the old lady up and brushed her skirt. “Are you hurt, granny?”

 

“No, sweetheart. I’m fine.” She replied, patting my hand and assuring me that everything is all right.

 

Kai and Kyungsoo witnessed this and helped to retrieve the vegetables that fell out from the cloth bag that she carried. I felt bad for her. All of these vegetables will become dirty. “Granny, I’ll you home and buy some new vegetables for you, is that all right?”

 

Her eyes widened. “No, it’s fine. Don’t waste your money. I’ll just washed it more thoroughly later.” She said.

 

“Here, granny. We have all your veggies. Where’s your house? We’ll send you home.” Kai said, smiling kindly. The old lady laughed, a murky sound coming out from her.

 

“You all are such kind souls. I live just around that corner.” She pointed to the small hut on the right of the Town. I took her elbow and we started walking slowly. She limped weakly and I felt really bad for bumping into her. I should’ve watched where I was going.

 

After we reached her place, we placed her stuff on the small wooden table and bid good-bye to her. However, Kai approached her and told her something that we couldn’t catch on. She smiled even wider and said, “I’ll be waiting!”

 

Kai pedaled backwards until he was just beside me. “What did you say?”

 

“Something,” he said. “Oh and we have to go somewhere before lunch.” A corner of his lips curled, his eyes glinted bright blue.

 

“What are you thinking?”

 

“We are going to farm.”

 

**

 

The sun was blazing hot as it shone against my skin. I swear my face is going to be burnt if I don’t get out of here soon. I desperately needed water and my stomach is grumbling even more loudly, crying for food. Why am I even here in the first place? I questioned myself while plowing the ground and pulling out the fresh vegetables then dumping them to one side.

 

“Most vegetables plowed win the bet!” Kai shouted from across me, reminding me of the stupid bet that I took up rashly. We’re supposed to just give that old lady a new set of vegetables supply and instead of buying them from the market, Kai rather getting it himself. And I can’t stop his determination in helping that old granny. I stuck the stick onto the ground and leaned against it, gathering my strengths.

 

Kai did the same thing but he looked more… visually appealing than me with his tousled hair hung loosely around his head and slick sweat dripping from his forehead. He smirked. “Giving up already?”

 

“No,” I replied. “I’m just looking.”

 

He raised a brow. “You don’t look well though. You can rest if you want.”

 

I tipped my head up and squared my shoulders. “I am not tired. Besides, we barely just started.”

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “If you say so~”

 

I went back to work, mentally cursing for being so stubborn and afraid to lose. This is killing me. At the corner of my eye, Kyungsoo and a couple of soldiers were keeping guard of this area. He noticed me looking at him and gave me a ‘you can do it’ gesture, pump the air. “Yea… I can do this.”

 

I pulled out another vegetable. “I can’t.” I muttered softly. And then another. “I can’t do it anymore!” I shouted, stretching my ached back and dropped myself onto the ground. “You win, Kai! I give up.”

 

Kai dropped his own stick and came over. He squat in front of me and made the effort to flick my nose. “That’s the way.” He looked at the pile of veggies I gathered and nodded approvingly. “And you didn’t do so badly. At least it’s better than nothing.”

 

“Yeah right. You’re just happy you won. Whatever. I don’t care. I just need food.” I snapped, feeling cranky under this heat. I was breathing in short gasps and Kai must’ve noticed that because he was lifting me up and stopped yapping about how great he is.

 

“Help us bring the veggies back.” Kai ordered and tugged me forward. My legs turned jelly-o and I think I’m going to suffer from heat if I did not drink. My forehead and arms were clammy with sweat and when Kai released me from his hold, the world did a 360 degrees turned and I doubled forward. The ground closed up on me and I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the impact.

 

A strong pair of hands wrapped around my waist and my head collided against something soft instead of the hard ground. My head throbbed in pain; the heat is really killing me. “Thanks Kai.” I groaned while muttering against his shirt.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Wait isn’t that Kai’s voice?

 

“Gathering veggies?” the person that was hugging me spoke. His voice sounded strangely familiar. I furrowed my brows and pulled back, meeting L’s black orbs. The black hoodie he wore fell behind his neck, exposing his dark coloured hair. I was right. I wasn’t imagining things just now.

 

“Oh my God… Exactly L; what are you doing here?”

 


A/N: Had a long day today... So no double updates! ): Will double update tomorrow instead! ^^

Oh! they finally met and talk! haha... :D