Heatstroke

Star-crossed

 

Author’s POV

 

L knew the person in the carriage was Kyung Mi – who’s now known as Jael. He, too, wanted to go to her and ask her questions about this world, about her true identity but unfortunately, he was hauled away from Peto before he even got the chance to say ‘hi’.

 

“Stop moving away from me, fella. I won’t be responsible for you if you get lost.” Peto said, pulling L’s black cloak along like a little child. L grunted and shrugged Peto’s hand away.

 

“I can walk just fine,” L said, trudging beside Peto.

 

“Change of plans, we’re going to farm some vegetables instead. It’s cheaper and definitely fresher.” Peto chortled and rubbed his belly tummy again. “Man, can’t believe you’re our blessing in disguise!”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing man. Just me and my random blabberings. Come on, let’s hasten up and get home fast. If I were you I don’t want to stay out too late at night.” Peto said, turning back to give L a toothy grin. Something behind that smile irks L but nonetheless he at least have to listen to his savior’s words for now. 

 

**

 

“So your idea of blessing in disguise is this?” L slammed the plow against the hard ground. His nostrils flared as he clenched the stick hardly. The sun just made everything worst. Under the shade, Peto was lounging comfortably and sipping his iced tea, enjoying his day.

 

“Yea! It’s only a hundred of vegetables. How hard can it be? A favour for an old man for me?”

 

L’s jaws tightened and he resisted the urge to just go away from this hellhole. He’d collected fifty vegetables and his hands are filled with blisters. There’s no protection between his palms and the stick. He cleaned the line of sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand and continued plowing the veggies. A moment later, he noticed a group of people streaming into the farm.

 

Curious, L looked up and noticed that the men’s attire are those of the Estrovian’s military. Right in front of the soldiers stood a young man and a lady. Could it be…? He squinted his eyes and narrowed his gaze onto the lady. Jael… What is she doing in a farm? Does Jael know that Kai isn’t really her cousin?

 

A fence partition blocked L from having a clearer view of them and when the soldiers stood in their positions, he couldn’t even see her anymore. “Hey! Get back to work will ya!” Peto yelled from where he was sitting. L gave out a pissed grunt before digging some more vegetables.

 

“Can’t believe I’m actually doing this,” L spat while digging into the ground again and again. After what seemed like forever, Peto gave L his approval and he could finally rest. The urge to find out what Jael and Kai are doing was too much. While Peto gathered the vegetables in the side, L snuck off to the next farm and found the both of them coming towards here.

 

L hid behind the nearest pillar and held his breath when he felt Jael standing just behind him, only the pillar blocking their way. When Jael or Kai didn’t talk, L peered out from the pillar and noticed something was amiss with Jael. She was not in her usual self and –

 

L quickly reached out to her when he knew that Jael was falling. Luckily he caught her in time and she landed safely in his arms. Kai turned just when L was saving her and from his expression, he was shocked.

 

Jael leaned against L, sighed when she thought that she’s safe in Kai’s arms. “Thanks, Kai.” She groaned.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kai asked.

 

“Gathering veggies?” L replied, a tint of playfulness in his tone.

 

This time, Jael made the painful effort to look up. Confusion flickered across her eyes and she pulled back from L’s embrace. “Oh my God… Exactly L; what are you doing here?”

 

L raised a brow and pointed to the other farm. “Gathering vegetables, Kyung – I mean Jael.” The name escaped from him sounded gentler than how his expression shows now. Jael actually shuddered and had chills going down her spines when he uttered her name.

 

“No, serious, Human. What are you doing here?” Kai snapped, jaw clenching. “Why are you even gathering vegetables in Estrovia when you should be in your world?”

 

L shifted his gaze from Jael to Kai. “I have my reasons. Besides, I want to talk to Jael and not you.”

 

“No, you cannot talk to her!” Kai hissed.

 

“Why not? Will you talk to me, Jael?”

 

Suddenly, Jael’s body rocked back and forth before falling again. This time, she fell on Kai. Panicked gripped the both boys in the farm. “Jael! Jael!” Kai patted her pale cheeks. “She must’ve suffered a mild heat . Kyungsoo!” he called.

 

L rushed off to get some water from the store just beside this farm whereas Kyungsoo hurriedly rushed to Kai’s side along with the soldiers. “Get a doctor, now!” Kai shouted.
 

“Go get the doctor!” Kyungsoo passed on the message to the rest of the soldiers. “Some of you remain here to guard the Prince and the Lady.”

 

“Yes sir!” the soldiers saluted, their heavy metal suits clanking loudly against their body when they ran. Jael was breaking out in cold sweat and her lips are white pale. She shifted back to her human form because of her lack of energy. Kai grasped her hand and pulled her close to him.

 

L came back a short while later with a jug or water and a wet towel. “Place her down.” Kai listened to L and placed her down gently. With the wet towel, he cleaned her forehead, her neck and then arms to cool down her body temperature. L then checked her pulse to see if her heartbeat was still beating fast. “Somebody fan her.”

 

Kai tore the sleeve of his shirt and used it as a fan. L then made his way to her collar and ed it. However, Kai stopped him from doing so, grabbing his wrist. “What are you doing?” he hissed.

 

“Stop being a hero. Can’t you see she has trouble breathing?” L was yelling and shoved Kai’s hand away. “Don’t forget you’re just her cousin. I am not.” L snapped and ed her collar, only stopping when it reaches her chest. He continued dabbing the towel into the jug and rubbed it around Jael’s body, cooling her down.

 

That sentence stung Kai in the heart, burning it and shattering his heart to a million pieces. That’s right, Jael was only his cousin and he knew it.

 

I know. That’s why it hurts. Kai thought.