My Name

Star-crossed

 

Nobody dared to move when I shifted into my Estrovian form. The wind tugged against my ashy white hair. All pairs of eyes were on me, I could even feel Kai’s gaze boring behind my back. The Commander’s eyes widened in pure horror, his face morphed into something like a wicked lord would look like.

 

“I should’ve known. The moment I pick you up from the ground, I should’ve known.” He mumbled to himself, a devil-like grin appeared on his face. L’s mouth hung wide opened, disbelief crossed his eyes.

 

My lips trembled as the words came out of my mouth. “You picked me up from the ground?”

 

“I wanted to kill you at first. But you looked so humane and innocent so I kept you with me. Named your name after courage and loyalty to me but the irony of it, you’re an Estrovian. I should’ve known.” He repeated those three words again and sniggered to himself. “Now come with me, Kyung Mi-ah. You will help us with our experiments on Estrovian. I’ll promise not to hurt you or kill you.”

 

I spat at him, slapping his hands that reached out to me away. “No! You’re a monster! After all these years you don’t have any special feelings for me? I am, after all, your daughter!”

 

“Sadly, no. I trained you to be my Guard and nothing else. Now let’s stop with all these and come with me. L, take her away.” He snapped his fingers and L stepped forward. But before he could even touch me, Kai emerged from the bush and grabbed L’s arm, shocking him.

 

“Don’t. Touch. Her.” Kai hissed, rage glowed in his blue eyes. L yelled in pain from Kai’s magic and crumbled helplessly onto the ground, his hands burning.

 

“Oooh, another one. Perfect. Get your Bombs ready. Don’t kill them, though. I want them – the both of them alive.” The Commander ordered. The Guards aimed their Bombs at us and pulled the trigger. They pulled their arms back and throw it at us.

 

“Go there!” Kai pointed to the direction beside me and we jumped out of the Bomb’s way, escaped just in time when it exploded into Flames. The smell of the Flames made me nauseous and weak but I managed to hang in there. Kai rose from the ground and summoned a bolt of lightning, striking the group that was in front of us. He did that to the group next to them too.

 

If only I could call my Aether Cord…

 

I tried visualizing my own Aether Cord and it appeared in my head seamlessly. But when I tried to reach out for it, it’ll dodge and avoid me. Frustration bubbled in me and without having my power; I’ll be useless to Kai. Another bolt of lightning hit the ground, making the ground shake. “You go towards your right and rescue my Mother. She’s in the biggest cart. Kyungsoo is probably inside too, rescue the both of them while I try to block them.” Kai instructed. “You can do it. I trust you.”

 

“B-but - ” I stammered, fear gripped my heart.

 

“Yes you can. Believe in yourself. I’ll be counting on you. And... Sorry for just now.” he cupped my cheek, a wave of shock hit me but it was a pleasant one, and brought my head towards him. Kai planted a swift kiss on my forehead. “Go.”

 

My forehead tingled, an emotion that wasn’t supposed to appear in here – while fighting. I force back a smile and headed towards the cart. The Guards were busy fighting off Kai’s lightning that they didn’t notice me. Explosions were everywhere, but mostly from Kai’s bolt than the Bombs. Light is quicker than our arm motions. I safely arrived in front of the largest cart. Climbing up to the door, I broke the latch and flung the door opened. A woman in his late forties was inside, asleep. She was badly bruised and blood oozed from her knees, staining her white dress. A golden crown hung loosely on her head. She must be the Queen.

 

I crept inside and tapped her shoulder, but when she doesn’t wake up, I placed her arm around my shoulder and lifted her up from the floor. She was surprisingly light – probably an Estrovian trait and I carried her instead. I placed her onto the ground, away from the army and went on to the next cart. Kyungsoo was tied up inside, his mouth was taped and his limbs were locked up.

 

“Kyungsoo!” I cried, going to him. “Let’s get out of here. Kai is fighting alone.” I peeled the tape out from his mouth.

 

“The Prince? Where’s the Queen? Unlocked me, now.” He ordered, not feeling at least grateful of me. But I listened to him though. I took the sharpest object I could find and cut the ropes off. He used his own Fire to burn the rest of it and stormed out of the cart.

 

“Wait! You must bring the Queen safely to elsewhere! I’ll tell Kai that you’re safe.” Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks and turned back to me, hysteria flickered in his round orbs. He flexed his arms.

 

“Where’s the Queen?”

 

“There, right behind the tall tree. Go!”

 

However, instead of Kyungsoo going to the Queen, he came to me instead, clutching my shoulders tightly until it hurt. He bored his gaze to mine. “You go guard the Queen, I’ll defend Kai. Escape towards north and you’ll reach Estrovia. Show the soldiers this and they’ll call for help immediately.” He passed me a golden looking emblem with the mark of Estrovia on it.

 

“O-Okay,” I said, slipping the emblem into my pocket. “I’ll guard the Queen.”

 

“The whole nation relies on you, Kyung-Mi,” Kyungsoo’s eyes softened, his tone now softer, gentler. “Go. I’ll tell Kai to stop and we’ll catch up with you as soon as we can.”

 

He let me go and I dashed towards the Queen. Luckily, she’s still there. I lifted her up on my back and started running, without turning back. I didn’t know how long I ran, probably an hour, or just minutes gone by. But I could feel the Queen stirred behind me. She’s awake!

 

Sensing that, I pulled to a stop and placed her down. Her eyes fluttered opened, revealing a pair of blue eyes that looked exactly like Kai’s just that hers were a shade darker. She blinked at me; terror consumed her as she backed away from me, her arms outstretched as if she’d seen a ghost. “W-Who are you?”

 

“Um… Your Majesty? Look, I’m Kai’s friend and I’m here to save you - ”

 

“Y-y-you looked exactly like her,” she cut me off halfway.

 

“Her? Who?” I probed.

 

“The 67th Queen of Estrovia, Queen Lee.” The Queen said, but there was something wrong with her tone, she’s hiding something from me, but I couldn’t sense it.

 

“Erm… Excuse me?” I asked, immediately feeling dumb.

 

“Those violet eyes and ashy white hair – there’s no mistaken. You’re indeed their daughter.” I don’t know whether if she’s talking to me or mumbling to herself but everything seemed ridiculous until she said it.

 

She said my real name. It struck a familiar chord in my head and the name shook me to the bones.

 

“You’re the long, lost Princess of Estrovia, my niece – Lee Jael.”

 


A/N: Wait for it, there's till more truths coming up! :)