Peto

Star-crossed

 

“Dude, slow down, my legs isn’t being user-friendly now.” I groaned when Kai pulled me out of the hall and hurried down the stairs and through the fields. Only when I complained then he slowed his speed.

 

“Sorry,” he fell into step with me, taking little strides to accommodate to mine. His fingers were still around mine and the angelic side of me tells me to pull away, we should respect the fact that we’re cousins but the devilish side of me wants him to come closer instead and forget about everything – about being blood related. Kai seemed to grow wary about his fingers around mine and yank me away a little too harshly.

 

“Excuse me for being rude. Let’s hurry,” Kai murmured and quickened his pace again. I felt utterly broken by his actions but I guess if he’s the one moving away from me then there’s nothing I could do. We entered yet another building this time round and this particular building had soldiers stationed outside.

 

They saluted and opened the door opened when Kai approached. “Lady Jael,” they greeted and I nodded back with a smile.

 

“Where’s this place?”

 

Kai doesn’t have to answer it because the architecture and the things that were stored inside replied me the next instant. And I felt stupid for asking. The burgundy carpeted floor stretches all the way to the end of the library and rows and rows of books were stacked neatly. The library was huge and each row of books hit the ceiling. A short, pudgy female librarian came to us and asked what she could do to help.

 

“It’s okay, Aunt May. We can help ourselves.” Kai said politely.

 

“Well, you’re such a sweetheart aren’t you, your highness. I’ll bring in some hot tea and cakes that I made.” Aunt May smiled heartily and hopped back to her place.

 

“A library that allows food and drinks? That has never happened.” I said, running my fingers across the books feeling the dusty texture of it. No matter how grand this library looks, I believe nobody has ever really used them before. The books looked like it was rarely touched.

 

“You can’t be disrespectful to a Royal over here. So some rules were made an exception for us.” Kai boasted, pulling out a thick book and then another one. His eyes swept over the entire length of the cabinet before moving on to the next row. I followed him blindly, cursing when my feet accidentally kicked the wooden shelf.

 

“Ow…” I rubbed my toe, groaning in pain. Kai eyed me and then pointed to the direction where the chairs and tables were.

 

“You may want to take a seat. I’ll be quick.”

 

“Okay.” I said, staggering to the chair. It felt like heaven when I sank myself onto the chair. Taking off that killer high heel, I massaged my toes while waiting for Kai to come over. When he finally came over, he slammed the thick books onto the table with a loud thud and flopped his chair over.

 

History of Estrovia volume 1… Volume 2… Volume 3 and it goes on…

 

“Ok. My family writes all of these and I’m supposed to continue it but since I’m the Prince, I do not have the time for it. Now,” he took Volume 1 over and flipped the pages opened. Dusts particles started to come out of all places and I had to wave them away.

 

“Gosh, nobody even reads these,” I grumbled. “Look it’s so old.”

 

“It’s old, but doesn’t mean its not useful,” Kai said. “Here, read this.”

 

He handed me the book and pointed to one part of the book where it shows the Five Elements of Magic. Curiosity peaked in me and I brought the book closer and looked at the picture. It was a picture of a woman – probably the Queen of that era as she’s wearing a crown and dressed like a Queen and she was surrounded with the Five Elements’ colours. Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and White.

 

“What does that mean?” I asked, pointing at the picture. Irritation bubbled in me as I couldn’t read the ancient alphabets.

 

“The Five Elements are rare – in fact they are super rare because only the first female born of the Queen will inherit these Powers. This woman in the picture is your great great great great and it goes on grandmother. Do you get me?” he paused away, studying my facial expressions. When I nodded, he continued. “So you’re special, in a way. The rest of the books will teach you how to handle the separate powers.”

 

“Thanks for the information but it’ll help if only I know how to read the words.” I spread my fingers over the page of the book. “Tell me how am I supposed to understand this whole chunk?”

 

Kai pursed his lips, pretended to think. “Hmmm, good question. Why not I teach you?”

 

I mimicked him. “Hmmm, good answer. Go ahead then, Captain Obvious.”

 

“I’ll do my best, my lady.”

 

**

 

Author’s POV

 

 

 

All four corners of the wooden walls were staring at him when L woke up. His whole body ached and it didn’t help at all by lying on a wooden bed with no covers or pillows. L groaned and tried to lift his hand up to rub his eyes, but realized he couldn’t. Not because he was locked up – L was too weak.

 

Just then, a man came into the room with a cup of water. “Young man, you’re awake.” He greeted joyfully when he saw L awoke. “Here, drink some honey water. It’ll make you strong.”

 

L glared at the Estrovian and rejected his drink stiffly. What if it’s poison? What if they just want to torture him? To his surprise, the man wasn’t angry at all, instead, he laughed it off. “I’ll just put it here, aye? Lunch is going to be ready in awhile.” The man patted L’s shoulders. “I’m Peto.”

 

L opened his mouth to mumble something but his throat and vocal chords didn’t seem to work. What is wrong?

 

“It’s the after-effect of the Prince’s Magic, young one. Don’t worry. You’ll be better soon. I’ll see you later.” Peto placed the cup beside L’s bed and went out of his room, closing the wooden door softly. L didn’t expect this. Never in his life he thought that Estrovians would be the one saving him.

 

*

 

“God dammit, retreat, retreat!” Commander Park yelled and his Guards acted accordingly to his commands. However, L was lying pitifully somewhere near the bushes and no matter how hard he tried calling his mates for help, they didn’t listen to him but ran for their lives. Commander Park marched past him without even looking back once. Maybe he did, but he just didn’t want to acknowledge his dying presence. What good will Commander Park get bringing in a dying man?

 

Only more burdens.

 

L coughed out blood as he reached for Commander Park’s boots, desperately trying to reach for him but to no avail. When they left, he was alone. Alone and dying in the Forbidden Forest. Until Peto found him and saved him.

 

The so-called demonic Estrovians that L hated saved him.

 

*

 

“Why did you save my life?” L didn’t wake up for lunch that day, instead, he woke up feeling a little more stronger the next day. Together with Peto and his wife, Lily, they had lunch in a round table. Lily was still suspicious of L like how L was suspicious of them.

 

“Because that’s the right thing to do. I don’t care if you’re Human but when I see a dying person, I save him.” Peto affirmed. “And I got a reputation to hold, after all.”

 

L strained his arm muscle as he brought the food up to his mouth. He chewed slowly. “What reputation?” he asked after swallowing another mouthful of food. “Are you like a lord or something?”
 

“Better than that. I’m related to the Queen. I’m her brother.”

 

L raised a brow, amused by his words. “A Queen’s brother that lives in a hut? Wow.” He said, not believing him. “I expect something grander than that, Peto.”

 

“Well, Ito – I mean Her Majesty has her reasons for not providing us a large mansion and people to serve us. It’s for her own good and us, too.” Peto said, eyes lowering down to his own food. Lily didn’t utter a single word throughout lunch. “I’m a Historian, actually. But there’s a rule that says no relatives should be a Historian. So I had to be taken out.”

 

“That’s a pity.”

 

“Yeah, it is.”

 

Lily stood up and brought her plates to the kitchen, leaving the two of them alone. Peto went nearer to L. “And I know I shouldn’t tell you this but I trust you not to spread the news, all right?”

 

L placed his spoon down, eager to know about the secret. “The Queen - my sister, is a fake.”


A/N: If you read carefully, i mentioned Ito in chapter 1. She's actually Jael's mother's maid. :) 

To nom-ster who is the only one that noticed this: here's a cookie for you! :D
And no, Kai doesn't know this fact though. Sadly. Poor boy 

Hope you enjoyed!

<3