Lesson

Star-crossed

 

“Well, well, well. Congratulations my little girl, you’re one step closer to your dream.” Dad ruffled my hair and gave me the badge that states ‘Guard-In-Training’. I would have to wear that whenever I go to school from now on and the best part is – it’s an honor to actually have that badge.

 

“Thanks, Dad. You were really cool back there.” I said, sitting on our red velvet couch in the living hall. Dad pressed a button beside the couch and a bowl of his favourite grapes appeared in front of him. He began popping some into his mouth.

 

“Of course, I am the Commander. I’ll be passing you your personal training timetable later. And you’ll be meeting my assistant. He’s a very competent man and he’ll be the one training you from now on.” My Dad said, flashing his hologram right in front of my face. A picture of a young man popped up.

 

His hair caught my eyes instantly; it was so black that it appeared blue in some places. It barely touches the nape of his neck and his side burns curved at the side of his cheeks. His fringe flopped over his eyebrows and underneath that soft dark hair, a pair of perfectly almond-shaped eyes stare into mine. Like his hair, his eyes were also jet-black, forming two ebony orbs. His lashes were long and thick, which adds essence to his eyes. His lips were pulled into a thin line that somehow indicates that he is a guy that takes things seriously.

 

I could only find one word for this guy: Gorgeous.

 

“Pretty fella, isn’t he? He’s the Mayor’s first son. A second-rank Guard.” Dad said, closing his hologram. “Has a very promising future. And like you – he hates the Estrovians.”

 

I flinched when my Dad says that. Wasn’t I supposed to be happy that he actually hated them like the way I do? The Estrovians kill for fun. In all history textbooks, they say that all Estrovians are mentally unstable and they seek joy in killing. Dad even said that my mother was brutally murdered by them and he’s been seeking revenge for them ever since.

 

“How old is he? He doesn’t look that old to me…” Normally, to achieve a second-rank Guard status is considered impossible for the Humans unless you’re like my Dad – talented in his job, which is fighting. Only like 0.1% of the Earth population will be able to achieve that status. I assume this guy must be really talented then. To be one of my Dad’s favourite is a miracle.

 

My Dad let out a grunt, a habit when he’s thinking about something. “Three years older than you, I supposed. Quite a young fella. Suited just nice for you.” My Dad said, letting out a chortle. “By the way, it’s your birthday this upcoming Sunday. Any plans?”

 

Three years older than me and he’s achieved so much?! Impossible. I bit my lip and scrunched my brows. This guy is extraordinary. Turning back to Dad, I say, “Uhm, I have no plans for my birthday yet. Not thinking about having one though.”

 

“Good. Then I’ll host a party on Saturday to congratulate your acceptance to the Guard Academy and also to celebrate your 18th birthday. Finally legal, huh.” My Dad announced, turning on his communicator to relay this news to his butler who will make the necessary arrangement. I have always been a daddy’s girl and every year, without fail, he’ll host a birthday party for me.

 

The guests would be all of his friends. I appreciate his kindness though. But always making me dances with those old geezers that have really bad breaths. The only guy who always comes to my rescue was Daehyun, my best friend. But I doubt he would even bother saving me now that he has a girl.

 

I sighed, feeling bad to reject my Dad’s kind offers. “Yea, sure. Host that party. But I want to be free by 9am.”

 

“That’s a deal, then.”

 

**

 

The whole school was crazy by the time most of the Seniors reached the school. It was our last week of normal schooling before proceeding to our respective schooling quarters. Daehyun told me that only a couple made it to the Guards whereas most of them went for Chemist. But nonetheless, as long as you’re in one of these fields, there is a bright future for you.

 

Staying off campus and avoiding the chatty juniors was a tough work. I had to make a detour around the huge library and into block A – the Academy block. Walking past the administration office, I quickly hopped onto the travellator and keyed in my classroom number.

 

“There, there. The Commander’s daughter got into the Guard Academy. I heard she’s the only girl there.” Somebody said.

 

“Woots! Woots! Congrats daddy’s girl!”

 

“Hope she survives the guys training.”

 

“She looks weak.”

 

“Hot stuff.” One said. I rolled my eyes.

 

“Hey, feisty girl.” Daehyun came up behind me when I arrived outside the classroom, putting his hands around my shoulder. “Congratulations my dear friend.”

 

“Shut up. Let’s go.” I pulled him into the classroom. Grabbing a corner seat, I sat down and he did the same, beside me. “I need you to do me a favour.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“You’re coming to my party this Sunday. I don’t care if you have a date or anything but please just come. For my sake?” I muster up my best puppy eyes that always worked but he shook his head, his blonde hair shaking along with him. “Why?”

 

“I have a date… I promise to bring her out for a movie at night.” He said softly, avoiding my gaze.

 

“Wow, I’ve been your best friend for nearly 18 years and you’re dumping me for a girl. What a friend.” I blurted out, anger bubbling in me. “Fine, whatever. Go for your date. I don’t need your help anymore.”

 

“Kyung Mi I - ”

 

“It’s really fine, Daehyun. I shouldn’t have asked in the first place. Have fun.” I snapped, not bothering to answer him when he asked something. The lecturer walked in just in time and I – for the first time – actually bothered to concentrate on the lesson instead of daydreaming. I had private tutoring ever since young and I practically knew what is going to be taught. But today was different. The lecturer touched on something very interesting.

 

“Estrovians are fascinating creatures. Instead of constantly being accused for brutal murder and what not, they are actually the world’s most beautiful creatures. From the outside they may look like us but Estrovians have the ability to shape-shift into their ‘Aether’ form – the mystical form. Their eyes and hair will change colour according to their strengths and their mark of Estrovia will glow brilliantly in the dark. If you ever encounter a changed Estrovian, consider it your luck. Ok now let’s move on to the few powers that they possessed…”

 

The bell rung, indicating the end of class. I waited until all my classmates exited the room before I stood up. I approached the lecturer and he greeted me with kind eyebrows. I stifled a laugh. “What’s up, Miss Park?”

 

“Oh, I just wanted to ask where did you get all those information about Estrovian’s characteristics. All the textbooks I read didn’t have them.” I said, except for one and only my Dad has it.

 

“It’s a secret, Miss Park.”

 

“Well, it’s not when you tell me. I want to know.”

 

“I’m sorry but I cannot tell you where I got all these from. It’s forbidden by law.” He packed his books and nodded his head. I caught a glint flashed across his eyes. “Actually, Miss Park, the answer is quite simple. Make a guess. I’ll see you in the Guards Academy, then.” He smiled and hopped out of the classroom.

 

“The answer is quite simple? What the hell does that even mean?” I muttered, feeling lost and empty. He’s probably just lying. Shrugging my shoulders, I exited the classroom and my eyes flicked to the blonde hair just beside me. It’s Daehyun and his girl hugging intimately at one corner. I scowled and stomped past them, purposely knocking Daehyun’s shoulder.

 

“Stupid Daehyun. What best friends.”

 

 


Author's note: 

Double updates again! Hope you guys enjoyed...
Oh and 'aether' is like magic itself. Life energy around one's body. 

:)