Preparations

Star-crossed

 

Jael’s POV

 

 

I can’t believe my luck. After thinking that Kai has finally overcome his ness period, now this thing happened. Kyungsoo and God knows who else had been kidnapped by yet again, my beloved dad and L is on the verge of dying. Okay, maybe not. He’s up and well now because of some miracle medicine and currently having a death stare competition with Kai.

 

Not my favourite.

 

“All right guys, stop it.” I said, standing in between them. L smiled at me but Kai just looked away, slipping into his dazed mode. “It’s been three days, we must plan quickly and set out by tonight.” I slammed a piece of paper on the table and a unfamiliar looking object which the Estrovians called a pen. “Write.”

 

“Like you, Jael. I type. Not write,” L chuckled, playing with the other pens. “It’s kinda fascinating how this works.”

 

I glared at him. “There’s no time to play, Myungsoo. We need to move on.” I snatched the pen away from him and turned to Kai’s direction. “Kai.”

 

He groaned and ruffled his hair, which seemed awfully greasy and messier today. But still, he’s still gorgeous. Kai staggered over and took the pen from me, drawing something on the paper. Both of us watched him wield that tiny looking object skillfully, filling up the thin piece of paper with his sketches of the plan.

 

“All right so we’ll be spies, right?” Kai asked, going into his serious mode. L and I nodded. “We can’t act suspicious in the Human World so we’ll try to blend in. Gather as many Humane stuff you both got and we’ll bring it over.” Kai then fished out a pair of bracelet. “Jael, take this. It’ll stop you from changing randomly. I’ll wear them too, in case.”

 

I took it from him gingerly and slipped it in my pocket. Wearing that really but there’s no choice.

 

“I have a private house near the Forbidden Forest. We can set it as our base camp for the time being.” L contributed and Kai wrote that note down.

 

“That’ll be great.” I said. “Can’t wait to see Daehyun!” I blurted out a little too happily and Kai glared at me whilst writing halfway through.


“Do you think we’re going back for a tour? We have to save Kyungsoo’s life.” He sneered, voice hardening.

 

“I know! All right. Don’t be so harsh.” I exclaimed, frowning at his sudden outburst. Kyungsoo must have meant a lot to Kai for him to react this way.

 

“We can create a portal from my place back to the Palace. In case anything happens we can immediately head back here.” L said, breaking the tensed atmosphere.

 

“That can be considered. But we have to take precautions. What if a group of them followed us and managed to slip into the portal as well?” Kai asked suggestively. I pursed my lips, brainstorming for ideas.

 

“Then don’t use a portal. We’ll just fight them head on.” I said. The guys looked at me as if saying ‘are you nuts’ and I immediately cleared my throat, shrugging my shoulders. “Well, it’s just a suggestion.”

 

“Anyway, we’ll set out today evening so prepare by then. We’ll gather at the entrance.” Kai folded that piece of paper and held it in his hand. “I’ll bring some miracle pills and other emergency stuff.”

 

“Okay, then I’ll just prepare some costumes for us. But I don’t think there is extra Guard uniform for Kai though. I didn’t throw mine away.” I said, glancing at L and then to Kai. He gave a smug look.

 

“Did you forget about the old tailor?”

 

I recollected the memories of the old tailor but none of them brings him out as a ‘fast’ tailor. I mean he sure can make clothes in one day but in just a few hours? I have my legit doubts. “I remember. What about him?”

 

“He can make a brand new set of Guard uniform for me in just an hour.” Kai pointed to L’s Guard uniform. “When I say he’s good, he is good.”

 

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms. “Then hurry now. We do not have time.”

 

**

 

By dusk, everything was ready. I was back in my black tank top and long gym pants and feeling like I’m in high heavens because of it. I can finally stretch my legs, bend forward and even twirl around flexibly. My body feels hundred times lighter and gosh, it’s amazing.

 

Slinging the backpack over my back, I head down to the entrance where the servants and soldiers bid me farewell and ‘have a safe trip’, I met up with L first. Ever since that gunshot incident, he really changed – for the better I guess. He smiles more often and really accepted the fact that the Estrovians are not as ‘evil’ as he thought at first.

 

“Hey,” I said, moving beside him. “You ready to go back?”

 

L smiled. “Not really. But it’s good to breathe the Human air again, right?”

 

“Right.” I answered him primitively. “Spy work. It’s my first time.”

 

He patted my head lightly and I blushed a little at his gesture. “You’ll be fine. You’re strong. Stronger than I am.”

 

I laughed and took his hand away, “What a twist of situation. I was still your student just two months back and now I’m stronger than you.”

 

“Interesting how life works, yea?” he snickered, slipping out of my grasp and attempted to pat my head again. Before I managed to turn my head away, a hand shot out and grabbed his. The atmosphere tensed and I almost thought it was some horror monster trying to kidnap me.

 

It was only Kai.

 

Dressed in Guard uniform, looking good. And scary.

 

“Stop touching her,” he hissed, shooting glares at L who can’t stop looking smug. I sighed again, forcing Kai to let L’s arm go.

 

“Kai, L’s just playing, relax. Breathe.” Instinctively, my hand reached out to his overturned collar and helped him adjust it back in place. Then, I trailed the buttons on his shirt, patting his masculine chest and repeated the word, “Breathe.” His gaze softened and he smiled.

 

“All right, love birds. We have no time, let us hurry.” L interrupted us and Kai pulled away first.

 

“We’re not love birds, Black Muddle,” Kai said, checking his backpack again. “Besides, we’re cousins.”

 

L raised a mocking brow. “Firstly, mood swing prince, my name isn’t Black Muddle. It’s L. And secondly, if the both of you are cousins, you shouldn’t be acting so intimate around her.” L retorted.

 

Kai ignored but I knew he was offended. Greatly. L hit his pride and I have a feeling this trip is not going to be so pleasant. Both of them might end up killing each other instead of killing our enemies. I slammed my hand against my forehead, shaking my head. “Guys, guys. Can’t you two just grow up?”

 

“No,” they said together at the same time.

 

I slammed my palm over my forehead again.