A New Change

Star-crossed

 

Jael’s POV

 

“Kyung – Jael! Jael!” Kai called for my name. I whirled around; uncomfortable in this olden time dress and shoes, nearly stumbling over a non-existent rock and unfortunately, landed on my cousin embrace.

 

“Oops,” I said, pulling myself up gingerly. A blush formed on my cheeks. “Didn’t see that coming.”

 

“It’s fine. But do be careful. I doubt no other guys would do that if weren’t for me. You’ll just kiss the floor,” he joked. Kai looked fabulous today. Maybe it was his attire – ancient Englishmen suit with a sword clung onto his hip. His royal blue shirt clung fittingly against his lean body. Kai didn’t style his chestnut brown hair like I’d expected him to. And I preferred it that way, tousled and really – natural.

 

“There’s a feast tonight, celebrating another ‘defeat’ against the Humans. I expect you to be there?” Kai said, noticing that he’s a little too close to me, he stepped back.

 

I pretended not to notice his distant gesture and smiled. “Of course. The Queen invited me, how can I not be there?”

 

“Of course…” he repeated, eyes downcast. “I guess I should go. I gotta feed the horses.” He spun around, ready to go but I held him back.

 

“Wait!”

 

“Yes?”

 

What should I say? I like you? “We’re cousins, right?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Look – I know it’s wrong and crazy but I like you, Kai. I just want you to know that.” I admitted, tears sprang out of my eyes. My heart was beating awfully fast and after saying that I felt the weight lying on my shoulders were gone so suddenly. Kai’s eyes softened and he cupped my cheek.

 

“Me, too. Jael.” He whispered my name as though he is tasting something new. “I love your name.” He repeated my name for three more times before he leaned in and kissed me on my lips.

 

**

 

“Jael, Jael!”

 

My body jerked awake, my eyes fluttered opened. I was panting hard as if I just experienced the worst nightmare ever. Just that, that wasn’t a nightmare but a freaking dream. I placed my arm over my eyes and inhaled deeply. Gosh, that dream felt so real. I touched my lips; it’s still tingling from the kiss.

 

“Look, if you don’t wanna get out now, I am not going to teach you how to control your powers.” Kai grunted, taking away my covers and draw the curtains opened. My eyes squinted and I grumbled.

 

“Just let me get some fresh air, Kai.” I said. “Please tell me I’m wearing something decent.”

 

“No, you’re not. So get up. I can’t believe I need to wake you up.” Kai muttered again and grabbed my hand, pulling my body up. His touch alone generated a spark in my heart. That feeling needs to stop. I can’t fall in love with my cousin. It’s stupid. I pulled my hand away from him.

 

“It’s ok. I can get up on my own.”

 

“Suit yourself. I’ll call in the maids to dress you up. Be down at the hall when you’re done.” Kai’s brows were furrowed all the time and I watched him leave my room with a slam of the door. I guess dreams better remain in dreams. I shuffled into the bathroom and wash up, slightly shock by the lack of hot water and something called ‘water tap’. I had to scoop a pail of water from the other room and bring it to the bathroom.

 

Very, very ancient.

 

When I’m done, I went outside of the bathroom only to find five maids waiting for me with my dress and hair accessories. All of them greeted me with a kind smile. “Hi…” I trailed, didn’t know what to say.

 

They curtsied and approached me. “Pardon for the intrusion but we’re going to dress you up, Lady Jael.”

 

Jael, huh. I grew accustomed to that name pretty fast. “Yea, sure. I promise not to fool around.”

 

They all laughed.

 

**

 

We ate breakfast in silence and even after breakfast, Kai didn’t even bother looking at me. As if I was some pest that will harm his eyes if he did stare at me. He led me through the outdoor fields and into another huge building. I had trouble walking in this dress and high heels and my legs were getting sore. If I walked any longer, I’ll get blisters.

 

“Where are we going?” I finally said when we entered the building. It was empty, totally empty except for wall partitions and ceiling tall windows. The floor was marbled and the sides of the wall hung candlelights but other than that – nothing.

 

“Meditate.”

 

“Now? In this?” I lifted up my dress. He narrowed his eyes on me.

 

“Is there a problem?”

 

I blinked, looking away. “No, not really.” As I looked around, I noticed how serene this room – hall is. It’s like when I sing, everybody will just stop and listen to me that kind of feeling. Perfect for meditation. “Is it possible to stand and meditate?”

 

“Unfortunately, no. I’ll be back in an hour’s time to check on you. Don’t slack.” Kai ordered, his tone was harsh and forced, like he didn’t want it to sound like that but he has to. I grabbed onto his shoulder, willing him to face me.

 

“What?” he hissed. “I don’t have a lot of time in the world.”

 

“Stop being a jerk, Kai.” I said. “You know, actually I – ” I squeezed his shoulders tighter, not sure if I should just say it and admit it. “I - ”

 

“Don’t say it, Jael.” Kai pushed my arm away; it dropped hopelessly along my sides. “We’re cousins and we remain that way.” He said stiffly. My mind reeled and I felt the walls closed around me. A part of me thought things will be different – like how it ended up in my dream. But no – this is reality. Wake up, Jael.

 

Kai left the hall and Jael meditates.

 

**

 

Author’s POV

 

 

“Hey, young lad, you all right?” L felt a tap on his shoulder. And then another tap. He wanted to open his eyes, to see what’s around him, but yet he couldn’t. His body was weak, so weak until he couldn’t even breathe properly. L gave up on trying and succumbed to the darkness instead.

 

“Honey, I think we should leave him. He’s a Human. Probably the one that attempted to kidnap the Queen!” the wife said, tugging onto her husband’s shirt, pulling him away.

 

“No, we can’t let him die just like that. Let’s take him in. If he’s really evil we can just send him to the soldiers. Or deal with him ourselves.” The man placed his bag down and bend to pick L up.

 

“But - ”

 

He lifted L onto his back, grunted when he noticed how heavy he is. Different from the light Estrovian. “It’s okay, dear. Just get my bag and we’ll get going.”

 

And just like that, L was brought in to Estrovia. He’s about to experience a brand new life he’d never thought of.

 


A/N: Welcome L to Estrovia! *Claps* 

<3