Night

Star-crossed

 

Author’s POV

 

It was nearly midnight by the time Jael and Kai fell asleep in their respective beds. Before they slept though, Jael prayed that Kai would just be a good boy tonight and not harm her in any ways (coughs) that she could think off. She volunteered to take the upper bunk and Kai had no choice but to take the bottom one.

 

“Night, Kai,” Jael mumbled, pulling the covers up to her chin. She felt the bed shifted when Kai moved and anticipated for his reply but when none came, she closed her eyes and prepared for sleep to take over.

 

“G’night, Jael. Sleep tight.” Kai said. And a couple of moments later, the both of them drifted to sleep.

 

Being the owner of the house, L had stuff to do. He had to reactivate the security systems that surrounded all four corners of his little apartment and also the cameras that were above his house. He also made sure that there weren’t any surrounding portals near his place too.

 

L planned to keep his stay here a secret until this mission is over – or if there’s a need for his rank to interfere with his mission that he’d sworn to help. It was already 2a.m by the time he’d activated the last camera. Leaning back against his chair, he closed his tired eyes, hoping that it’ll bring him to somewhere instead of this crude world where no one wants him.

 

The Commander and his Guards comrades abandoned him just when he’s about to die; his own Dad sold him off to Guard trainings just to prove that the Mayor is capable of producing powerful, Guard children.

 

Shrewd life, really shrewd life.

**

 

 

“I don’t want to be a Guard, Dad. I want to be an artist. I want to draw,” L was pleading and begging with his Dad. He does this everyday ever since he knew that his own Dad is about to send him off to the City where the Commander promised to take him as a private student.

 

However, his Dad’s replies would always be the same. “You don’t have a choice, Myungsoo.”

 

“But, Dad!” little L tugged and pulled the hem of his father’s shirt, his feet dragging along with his Dad until he suffered bruises and cuts but his Dad didn’t let go or show any sympathy to this poor little boy who was basically gifted in the arts. The door slammed shut right in front of little L and his fortitude crumbled, knees on the ground and started to sob. His gentle, precious hands banging against the door, thinking that if he does this everyday, his Dad would just change his mind.

 

But it never happened. His Dad was laughing happily when L was being sent off to the Commander. A feeling stirred inside of L when he witnessed that scene. It was a forbidden feeling to feel for one’s parents.

 

It was hatred.

 

“What’s your name, punk?” Commander Park asked, squatting down to his height so that he could have a better view of this frail, young child.

 

“L,” L answered. The Commander patted his head and chortled out loud.

 

“Short and sweet. The way I like it. Now, in my place you’ll have to listen to me, all right?”

 

L nodded. Commander Park gave off a feeling to L that if he didn’t listen to him, he’ll be severely punished. He didn’t want to die that early. L still wanted to survive and escape this nightmare.

 

“Good boy,” he patted his head again. “Since your house is too far from mine, I’ll buy you one nearby here and we’ll have our lessons in my basement – is that understood?”

 

L nodded his head again.

 

“Good boy.” Commander Park checked his digital watch for the time and then looked back at L. “There’s still time before bedtime, let’s have our first training, shall we?”

 

L nodded.

 

**

 

A loud, splitting clang woke L’s up from his dream and he pivoted from this chair, heart still beating fast because of the short but realistic dream that he’d just recalled. Shaking his head, he massaged the bridge of his nose and cleared his thoughts for a moment.

 

“Oh, .”

 

A voice called from the outside and L went out to see what was happening. His kitchen was lit up and just behind the bar counter stood Jael. She was flapping her hand up and down, flustered because she dropped a glass cup and probably woken up Kai and L.

 

“That cup is quite expensive,” L whispered, coming up to her from behind. She stifled a scream, goose bumps exploded behind her neck and then spreading to her hands. She sighed loudly when she realized that it was L.

 

“God, L! I thought it was, you know, that floaty, floaty thing,” Jael sputtered chastely, rubbing her neck. “I’ll clean it up, don’t worry.”

 

L crossed his arms, lips curling upwards as he watched Jael picked the glass pieces up. “Just a warning – you should really wear a pair of gloves - ”

 

Due to the lack of light in the kitchen, Jael accidentally pricked her finger and she yelped, shaking her finger up and down and refrained herself from hopping up and down. “Ouch, ouch, ouch.” L’s hand shot out next to her, taking her wrist and inspected the cut.

 

“See, told you so,” he said, pulling her towards the basin and washing the cut. Pain sting her little finger and despite the small little cut, it really hurt like hell. “Stay here, I’ll bring over the first-aid kit.”

 

“Okay,” she told him and L returned an instant later with a little green box. He took out a plaster and carefully wrapped it around her cut, applying just the right pressure on it so that her finger wouldn’t feel too tight. “There you go.”

 

“Thanks.” She said nimbly, flexing her fingers.

 

“Go back to sleep, I’ll help to clean this place up.” L said dismissively, bending over to pick up the remnants of the glass skillfully and emptied all of them in the waste bin without suffering a cut. Jael drunk her glass of water before heading back to her room again, thanking L one last time.

 

“Thanks L. Sleep well,” she said, turning around. L was about to call her – to tell her the truth about she and Kai but stopped midway and said something else instead.

 

“I will. You too. And call me if you need anything,” L said. Feeling a little guilty when he didn't tell her the truth. Maybe next time. Jael let out a laugh before heading back to her room. She bit down on her lips when she saw Kai sleeping peacefully on his bed and she had to literally climb up without waking him up.

 

The moment she placed both legs one the first step, Kai’s hand wrapped around her ankle, refusing to let go no matter how she tried to flick. She peered down at him and frowned when she noticed that he’s still had his eyes closed.

 

“Kai are you… Sleep walking?” Jael asked, arching her back to pry his fingers off her left ankle. Before she knew it, his other free hand grabbed her arm and he pulled to his bed. Kai wrapped his arms around her and held her close, refusing to let go.

 

“Kai! Wake up!” She slapped his face and he let out a groan.

 

“Stop hitting me!”

 

“Oh! Good! You’re awake – now let me go.”

 

“I’m sorry, but that’s impossible,” he muttered with his eyes closed. “Sleep.”

 

“How am I supposed to - ”

 

“Shhh, just sleep,” he cooed, putting his covers around Jael’s body too. His legs entwined around hers and she was buried in his chest. Since it was practically useless to fight against Kai, she relaxed herself instead and shifted comfortably in the position. With their bodies pressed against each other and listening to one other’s breathing, for the second time this night, the both of them went to sleep.