Celebration Gone Wrong

Star-crossed

 

Author’s POV

 

Jael was ecstatic about this day; Her coronation day. She’ll receive the title of a Princess and will have to undergo several trainings hereafter and finally be able to help out with the Queen and her official duties. Never in her life would she have expected this day to come. Her life had changed. For the good or worse, Jael wouldn’t know.

 

The servants dressed her up grandly but not too over – because she’d have to ride through the city on Knight. Her hair was beautifully tied up in a bun, only leaving a small bundle of locks at her sides. A golden princess tiara was then placed on her head, fitting perfectly. Jael admired herself in the mirror, still can’t believe that it’s today.

 

“You look amazing, princess.” A servant said, smiling widely.

 

“I am not a princess… yet.” Jael said.

 

“Oh, don’t be too humble, princess. You’re born as a princess,” she said cheerfully, brushing Jael’s baby blue dress. Another servant came into the room, holding a pair of high heels. Jael’s mind reeled and she looked at her with her jaw dropping.

 

“You’re not asking me to wear that while riding a horse, don’t you?”

 

“It’s your attire, your highness. And it’s a tradition so I can’t have a say…” the servant lowered her head, handing the high heels over to Jael. Jael took it and scowled. Her luck is pretty bad.

 

“It’s fine. It’s not your fault.” She said limply, her lips forming into a thin line when she slipped into the heels. When everything was ready, Jael stepped out of her quarters and into the limelight.

 

**

 

“Princess!”

 

“Your highness!”

 

“Princess Jael!”

 

The loud cheering and shouting for Jael’s name started when she appeared in the entrance of the Palace. Knight was waiting obediently for her down at the steps and his saddle was changed to suit today’s celebration. Ministers, Nobles and other important guests all gathered in the front entrance, wanting to catch a glance of Jael.

 

The crowd parted when she was about to descend the stairs. Behind Knight was the Queen’s entourage. The Queen was sitting behind her own enormous carriage, waiting patiently for Jael to arrive. Jael cast a grateful smile to her direction, tipping a nod too before heading down to her own horse. And beside Knight stood Horizon.

And Kai.

 

His lips drew back into a smirk as he rested his hand on the hilt of his sword. Kai was clad in his own royal suit. His hair was styled up, revealing his milky white forehead that Jael’d never seen before. An air of confidence surrounds him, making her look puny and small around him.

 

Nonetheless, Jael lifted her chin up and padded to her own horse. “Morning, Princess.” Kai greeted when she pulled up just beside Knight. He was leaning close to her, close enough to make her body shudder and his deep, morning voice made Jael’s insides churned.

 

She cleared , pretended to adjust her saddle when his naughty hand s up to her waist. “Stop it.”

 

“Why? I’m supposed to lift you up anyway.” He said softly. Jael smiled at that. It’s true that their relationship is progressing; both parties aren’t hiding their feelings anymore but it’s still better to keep it low. Who knows what will happen when the Queen found out about this.

 

“Thanks for your help.” Jael said when Kai lifted her up on Knight effortlessly. She hooked her leg onto the stirrups. The feeling was weird because it’s her first time wearing a dress and heels to ride a horse. Hopefully nothing goes wrong. She grasped the reins loosely around her hands.

 

“You’re always welcomed. Don’t worry, I’ll be beside you if anything happens.” Kai winked discreetly and heat rose up to her cheeks, her smile spreading wider. She needs to get used to his teasing if not she wouldn’t live long. While they waited for the soldiers upfront to clear the way and announce for the celebration to start, Jael wondered where Kyungsoo went. She didn’t see him around anywhere.

 

“Kai, where’s Kyungsoo?” she asked, making a flitting gaze to her surroundings.

 

Kai shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. His subordinate told me that he’s sick today. I supposed he slept in.”

 

“Oh…” Jael pursed her lips. Kyungsoo was just fine yesterday. Maybe she should check on him later since Kyungsoo was one of her friend. Which brings back to her best friend, Daehyun. It’s been how many – weeks? Months? Since she last saw him. There’s no communicating device her for her to call him and she couldn’t possibly go back just to find him.

 

I hope he’s all right…

 

“Your highness, are you ready?” the soldier asked. Jael nodded her head and he waved for the front people to start moving. The band of musicians also received the cue and started playing their instruments, making everything seemed even grander. Throwing all negative thoughts aside first, it’s time for Jael to greet her own citizens as the Princess of Estrovia.

 

**

 

Everything was proceeding well when they finally reached the streets close to the gates. The citizens were singing along to the music played, cheering and applauding when Jael strut passed them and the short road march was finally coming to an end. A little village kid offered Jael some cute little chocolates and she took them thankfully. Kai was also enjoying himself and it made it even happier when Jael started laughing at some stuntman’s play.

 

However, just as they reached the grand entrance of the Palace again, somebody – dressed in all black, barged into the center of the parade and blocked Jael’s way. Knight was shocked by the sudden intrusion and halted abruptly, making Jael shrieked in horror, remembering the incident where she nearly fell to her death. The soldiers desperately tried calming Knight and luckily, Knight didn’t go off in a run.

 

The mysterious guy had his hoodie hiding his face he didn’t really look that harmful but still the soldiers and even Kai had their weapons out, facing him. “Who are you?” Kai commanded.

 

The man pulled his hoodie back, revealing a battered face full of bruises and fresh scars. His jet-black hair clung onto this face as sweat glistened on his forehead. He looked up at Jael before collapsing onto the ground.

 

“L!” Jael cried out, stumbling out of Knight and went up to him. “L!” she shook his shoulder and patted his cheek. He was still breathing, thank goodness, but very weak. He opened his eyes again and gestured for Jael to come closer.

 

Jael leaned in, listening to L’s words.

 

Breathing heavily, he managed to hiss out, “Kyung…soo….captured…. Humans…”

 

“Jael, what’s wrong? Why is he here?” Kai came forward, sheathing his sword back to his scabbard. The rest of the soldiers did the same. The crowd was silent, all watching the scene that is happening in front of them.

 

L lose consciousness then, his hand falling limply beside him and Jael looked up at Kai, lips quivering. “The Humans are at it again. Kyungsoo is caught by them.”