Home Is Where the Heart Is

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

August 24, 2014

Isabel was just about 100% better; although, she wouldn't have missed this day for anything.  "Umma!  Hurry up!"  She twirled around in the studio's trailer.  She loved her hanbok and couldn't wait to wear it for the wedding. The gold skirt twinkled prettily in the light of day and the jeogori (jacket) was an apple red.  Sylvia braided her hair and added accessories.

 - "Umma will be out soon," Esther called.  Abigaíl was dressed in her own complimenting hanbok and Esther was arranging her hair. "Abi-ssi must really stop pulling at her hair or we'll never be done and Jaejoong-ssi will be upset."

 - "It's just...can't I have my ears covered?  They stick out."  Abigaíl hated her ears.

 - "Omo child!"  Esther laughed behind her hand.  "What nonsense.  Abi-ssi, your ears do not stick out."

 - "They do, Esther!"

 - "Arraseo, I've got an idea."

Twenty minutes later, Abigaíl emerged in her modern hanbok and traditional hair with a few curls properly hiding her ears.

 - "Wow sis, you look amazing!"

 - "Umma!  You look like a princess!"

 - "And I thought I had a monkey but I really have a princess!"

 - "Come on, let's go see Appa."

Jaejoong looked equally stunning in his own golden hanbok.  He and Abigaíl stood quietly admiring each other.

 - "Appa isn't Umma yippeun (pretty)?"  Isabel said.

 - "Beautiful," he said, making Abigaíl blush.

 - "Okay, you two; I don't want her face completely red.  Jaejoong, you can make her blush all you want on your own time.  Right now we need pictures," the photographer called their session to order.  "Alright, now walk holding hands with Isabel in the middle."  They were amongst some trees in a grassy area.  The red's in the hanbok’s stood out nicely from the lush green.  "Now, Jaejoong, stop and give your fiancé a big smooch.  Isabel, sweetie, I need a giggle out of you.  I know it won't be too hard.  Mom and Dad look pretty funny locking lips, don't they?"  Isabel performed her part perfectly.  She loved to see them kissing.  "Now, just do what you normally do."  I'll follow along with the camera.  The three walked along, Jaejoong tried to put his arm around Abigaíl and she would push him away but he came back for more, sneaking in a kiss on the cheek.  "Perfect!  You guys are just too cute.  Stalk your fiancé a little, Jaejoong."

 - "I think he did stalk her until she said yes."  Sylvia who followed along commented.

 - "Perfect!  Look back and smile at him.  Let him know you won't be caught that easily."

 - "And I won't be," Abigaíl walked a little faster.

 - "Ah, but you see jagiya, I always get what I want."

 - "I'm loving those hungry faces you're making, Jaejoong.  Now get your bride!"

Jaejoong walked faster, knowing Abigaíl could hardly walk in the traditional shoes.  "Caught you," he said, embracing her from behind and swooping in for a kiss.  "Five more weeks and you're officially mine."  Jaejoong still held her from behind and very easily dipped her and began to place kisses all over her face.

 - "Jaejoong, stop!"  Abigail said in between laughing.  "Stop, I can't breathe."

 - "That's great Jaejoong, now let her up before she passes out from laughing."

Jaejoong helped Abigaíl stand and she smacked him.  "That's for dipping me without telling me."

Jaejoong brought her in for a slow and deliberate kiss.  "That's for loving me."

 - "Wow, that must have been some kiss, Abigaíl is glowing."

 - "They're always like this," Sylvia said.  Implying her Sister and Brother-in-Law's behavior was nothing spectacular.

They spent the next half hour or more on a sheet on the ground, in different poses.  His head in her lap, her head against his shoulder and of course various kisses from sultry to sweet.  "That's a wrap, guys!  Let's go to the carousel and get our groom down on one knee."

California

Ilana sunk gratefully on the bed of the hotel suite.  When she got off the plane she shook uncontrollably.  If it hadn't been for Joy on her lap, she would've lost it.  She tried the breathing exercises, she tried keeping her eyes fixed on the window, and she tried thinking of her friends, of Jihoo.  Everything helped only for a short time.  She had thrown up as soon as she found a restroom.   Thankfully, her luggage was only a carry-on and she was able to use its handle to support her on her way to the shuttle.  Although somewhat comfortable with public transportation in New York, she didn't want to try and get off a plane, alone for the first time, to look for a bus.  She just hired a shuttle.  It was less expensive than a cab.

The hotel was owned by her company and she raised a few eyebrows arriving there when her own home was about a mile away. The staff knew her name but never by sight.  Only the general manager had been there in her parent’s day.  Joy was extremely happy to be let out of her carrier and was sniffing around.  Ilana had asked if someone could get a litter box for her and within fifteen minutes Joy was gratefully doing her business in the bathroom.  Closing her eyes, Ilana willed her heartbeat to return to normal.  She had left a message for her boss advising her that an emergency arose and she would be unable to return until Wednesday.  She wanted to use this time to accept her parent's death.  She wanted to do that for Jihoo.  If he could do it, when he was over half her age when he lost his parents and all the other chaos that ensued, then she had to do this.  She wanted to at least put that nightmare behind her.

Ilana had always had Nana to keep her company, there shouldn't be any reason that as an adult, she couldn't now accept that her parents were gone and her life has gone on.  She had to be thankful for Nana.  Yes, Ilana paid her a monthly salary but she is almost like a Grandmother to her.  Nana went above and beyond the call of duty for her.  It was Ilana's own pain that never really let her see what was around her.  Jihoo became autistic and she had stopped living.  She really wanted to live again, to live for Jihoo's sake, if not her own.  He'd done so much and endured so much for her.  He would scold her if he heard her thoughts of paying him back but she just wanted to give to him all he gave her and she had to rid herself of useless fears in order to do so.  She was still frightened, she still held back, unsure of what the future might hold.  At the very least she wanted to be happy for a day, two days, however many days it was fated for her to have.  She didn't want to think of tragedy striking.  She just wanted to live for the now.

New York

After a grueling day of picture-taking Jaejoong, Abigaíl, Isabel and Sylvia enjoyed a much-earned dinner at the Shake Shack.  Giant hamburgers, French fries, and milkshakes were the perfect ending to the day.

 - "I can't wait to see your pictures," Sylvia said.  "Which one do you think you'll be using?"

 - "Mmm,” Jaejoong acknowledged, munching on a fry.  "Mollah, na think I like the ones with my head in your Unnie's lap or catching her and giving her a kiss.  Those will be for our U.S. invites.  We'll send the more formal ones at the carousel to Seoul.  Na don't think my relatives would approve of such a display of skinship."  He laughed.

 - "I think they were great!"

 - "It was tiring!"  Abigaíl pouted.  She hadn't liked taking picture after picture at her Sister's wedding.  She thought no one got to enjoy the reception.  "We spent too much time taking pictures at Luciana's wedding and not enough time having fun."

 - "Gwenchana, jagiya, that's why we took so many pictures now, so we can have fun on our wedding day.  You know, why don't I ask your Brother in law to be a groomsman and you can ask Ilana.  I'm sure Luciana would prefer standing with her husband.  This will make a great opportunity for Jihoo and Ilana to practice.  Maybe they'll get the hint and be the next couple to tie the knot, as you Americans say."

 - "That's a great idea!  You said Dr. Jihoo had to go out of town unexpectedly?  Do you think Ilana's okay?  Maybe we can drop some food off for her."

 - "Deh, Jihoo made it sound like she still wasn't well yesterday.  Tell her she's not allowed to go back to work until she's better."

 - "I'll send her a message."  Abigaíl began to type and hit send.  "We can go by on our way to pick up our things at your place."

 - "Aww, come on sis, let's just stay until Mom and Dad get back.  I'm done with my summer class, I'll watch Isabel."

 - "Deh Umma, juseyo?"  Isabel chimed in.

 - "You already forfeited a week of child care, because she was sick,” Jaejoong added.  "Wouldn't it be best if you save this week’s tuition?  You can use that money to do something special for your Halmoni.  Or a wedding present for me?"  Jaejoong brought his head to hers.

Abigaíl pushed him back.

 - "Yeah sis, Jaejoong does a lot for you and Isabel, I'm sure you want to get him a nice wedding present."

 - "Umma, we can buy something nice for Halmoni."

 - "Jagiiiii, come on, you know you want to.  Juseyooo?"  Jaejoong tried doing his aegyo.  He knew it irritated her but she might give in just to keep him quiet.

 - "Come on sis, please?  We'll clean the house for Esther as a thank you."  This way it wasn't like they were staying there and mooching off Jaejoong.

 - "Deh Umma, juseyo?"

Jaejoong was giving Abigaíl puppy dog eyes and making whimpering noises.  Abigaíl secretly wanted to stay but didn't want to give in too easily.  She wasn't about to let Jaejoong think he won.  She had been enjoying letting them beg her.

 - "Ah!  Alright!  If you guys keep quiet, I'll say yes!"  Abigaíl noticed they were attracting stares.  "Sylvia, you better help Esther and Isabel you will pick up your things, not Esther."

 - "I will, sis.  Promise."

 - "Deh Umma."

 - "Jaejoong, don't you dare by anything else for Isabel.  We have toys at home that we can run and get after work.  No sending Esther and Mr. Yoo to the store for toys."

 - "Deh, jagi.  I promise."  Jaejoong was overjoyed and punctuated his statement with a kiss.  It was settled, everyone was to be on their best behavior or Abigaíl wouldn't hesitate in taking them home.

 - "Kansamnida!"  The three shouted and Jaejoong gave Abigaíl's head a quick kiss of gratitude.

 - "You don't know how happy you make me."

Abigaíl was delighted on this inside but they were making enough of a scene for her to choose to ignore the comment.  "By the way, Ilana hasn't text me back?"

 - "Maybe she's napping and I'm sure Jihoo made sure she had everything she needed before leaving.  I wouldn't worry too much."

Los Angeles, California

Ilana and Joy napped for about an hour.  She still felt shaky and worn out, with a slight headache.  It was no wonder Jihoo wanted her to rest.  "Mianhae, I'll rest when I get home, I promise."  It was a good thing she turned her phone off.  She didn't want anyone tracking her.  There was still some daylight and Ilana wanted to walk the places she and her Mother had walked.  She longed to sit in her rose garden but didn't want anyone knowing she was in town.  She used to climb the back gate all the time.  That, she knew she wasn't up to.  It also wouldn't work, because the cottage where Min and Suzy lived was close to the gate.  She walked aimlessly for a while.   Ilana rarely visited the town center because of the memories she had never wanted to bring to mind.  It was as if she was a tourist in her own hometown.  The ice cream shop was still there and she ducked in to order a cone.  There was nothing special about the ice cream; it was only that she and her Mama frequented the place together.  There was now a Starbucks where a tea shop had been.  Ilana almost burst into tears to see that the music store was gone.  Her Mama and she used to go in for vocal and piano music.  She continued her exploring and was overjoyed to see the toy store was still there.  It was not the same owners but the toys were basically the same, retro and unusual and very expensive.  Walking in, it even smelled the same.  She felt the tears dropping one by one as she walked.  Caressing the toy piano, she sat on the floor next to it.  Having a Fazioli (piano maker) at home, they would still come and play on the toy at the store.

 - "Hi!  Can I help you?"  An older lady came up to her.

 - "Oh!"  Ilana was caught by surprise and realized her face must look horrendous.  She wiped at her face, to at least dry the tears.  "I'm sorry, I was just remembering coming to this store as a child.  I won't bother you, I'll just look around.  Can you ship anything to New York?"  She thought about the little toy piano for Isabel.  But Dr. Jaejoong's house had a real piano in it.  Still, it was worth considering.

 - "Yeah, we can do that.  Is that where your home is now?"

 - "Yes..., yes it is."  New York had been home for a year now.  She had friends and a pet and someone she loved.  So yes, New York was home.

 - "Hmm, sounds like you weren't planning to feel at home there.  El hombre propone y Dios dispone (Man proposes but God disposes).  Do you speak Spanish?"

 - "Yes, I've heard that before and No, I suppose I didn't expect to feel at home."  Ilana wandered around the store, looking to seeing what Isabel might like.  Her eyes alighted on a tea set and table and thought Isabel would love that.  There were other nostalgic toys that Ilana picked up, smiled at and put back down.  She caressed dolls and teddy bears, tutus and tried on puppets.  All things she used to do with her Mama.  The memories were overwhelming.  Perhaps she shouldn't have done this alone but she was here now.  She had been in the store for almost an hour.

 - "I'm sorry, I'll be closing soon but let me know if you need more time."

Ilana wiped her face.  "No, that won't be necessary, thank you.  I'm done.  I'd like the piano and the tea set with table."  She decided to send the piano to her kids at the hospital and the tea set to Isabel.  It was a good thing she had brought her phone in case of an emergency.  But she decided to send Isabel's gift to the hospital as well; this way she didn’t need to turn on her phone.  She returned it to her pocket, still powered off.

The lady rang up her purchase.  "Both items will get shipped on Monday.  So nice to meet you, Ilana.  I'm Pat."

 - "Thank you for letting me loiter in your store, I appreciate it very much."

 - "Ilana, if you're still in town, we have a women's Bible study Tuesday morning's.  I'd like to invite you to my Church.  It's just down the street here," Pat handed Ilana a card.  The girl looked like she could use the comfort that only the Word of God could give.

 - "Oh, I'm leaving Tuesday morning and possibly meeting someone before I go, thank you," Ilana tried to politely return the card.

 - "Hey, keep it, if your return gets delayed or the next time you're in town swing by.  Here, I'll write my name and number on the back.  If you want prayer for anything or just need someone to talk to, I'm available."

 - "Oh, thank you."  Ilana didn't have the heart to tell her she and God weren't on speaking terms.


Noon, Seoul, Republic of Korea August 25, 2014
Night, New York, NY August 24, 2014

Jihoo had finished his grueling PowerPoint presentation.  It was a four-hour meeting but the board needed a point by point agenda in order to approve next year’s budget.  It took Jihoo many approaches to the same topic for them to grasp the picture.  They wanted to know where the money would come from and how it was guaranteed.  They wanted to know how it would be applied and also any staffing requirement changes.  They wanted to know every minute detail as if he hadn't been explaining all this before.  He didn't blame them really.  The addition of the fourth clinic changed everything considerably.  They were just protecting him and his Grandfather.  In truth, Jihoo was just irritated because he was in Seoul and Ilana was not.  He'd been calling her since he landed but was getting no response.  It was now noon, eleven P.M. in New York.  Why wasn't she answering?  She should have been resting.  She had only been without a fever for a little over a day.  Extremely worried by now, he sent JaeKyung to her apartment and gave her the code to enter if there was no response.  Jihoo's phone began to ring.

 - "Yeobosayo JaeKyung-ah?

 - "Yah, Jihoo-yah, she's not here."

 - "Mwo?"

 - "Neither is Joy, I looked everywhere for her.  In fact, her food dish is gone, too. How many pieces are in her luggage set?"

 - "Four - two uprights and two totes.  In fact, they are on the top shelf of the closet."  He knew because he put it away for her on their return home.

 - "Deh, they're on the floor now and..." JaeKyung ped the luggage.  "A piece is missing.  The smaller upright, it's a carry on size, right?JaeKyung was an expert traveler.

 - "Deh."  Jihoo couldn't understand where Ilana could have gone.  He still had a ton of meetings and paperwork to attend to.

 - "Gwenchana, we'll find her," JaeKyung could tell Jihoo was worried.  Between WooBin's people and hers, they'd find her. "She couldn't have gone far or for very long with only a carry-on."

That was some comfort to Jihoo but he wouldn't be at ease again until she was back home and knew why she left without telling him.


Morning, Los Angeles, California August 25, 2014

Ilana woke after a restless sleep to an unfamiliar bed and surroundings on top of being emotionally exhausted.  The usual nightmares plagued her; Joy was her only solace.  Somewhere around nine-thirty, she returned to the suite and cried.  The poor cat didn't know what to do, she just curled up next to her Umma and purred.  She wished Ajussi was here, he always took care of her Umma.

Ilana had gone from the toy store to the used bookstore.  That also changed ownership but was the same layout.  She headed straight for the children's section and ran her hand absently over the books.  All the classics were proudly displayed as well as new classics, like Harry Potter and Magic Tree House.  Her hand stopped just past "M" and looked to see what was on the shelf.  To the left of her hand was the Anne of Green Gables series.  Pulling a copy out, she sat on the carpet to read.  How many times did she and her Mama come in to buy books and sit on this very carpet to read?  Oh, they could well afford new books, but her Mama said a used book has a story of its own to tell.  Wrinkled pages, stains, and rips tell of a fabulous journey that rivals that of the story inside the book.  Ilana began to read and get lost in Anne's story.  It had been a long time since she had read the series.

 - "You must really love that book, you're crying."  A woman's voice said.  She had a teenage boy with her.  "You've been reading aloud to yourself for the last fifteen minutes."

Ilana wiped her face.  "I guess I have.  I apologize if I was disturbing you.  I got lost in the story."

 - "No, of course not.  I'm a teacher, so I was just getting a few books for my class.  Are you a teacher too?"

 - "No," Ilana waved the idea away as impossible.  "But I sometimes read to the kids at the hospital."

 - "Presbyterian?"

Ilana almost panicked at the mention of her cousin's hospital.  "Ah, no.  I'm not from around here."

 - "Oh, well, have a nice stay.  You've got about an hour before the store closes.  Enjoy your book."

 - "I will, thank you."  And she did.  Ilana didn't move from the spot on the carpet until just before closing, purchasing a ton of books for herself, Isabel and the hospital.  She couldn't fit them in the carry on but at least she could ship them back home.  "Home," she thought again.  Wasn't this her home?  She was a stranger in her own hometown.

That revelation hit her hard and she cried the three blocks back to the hotel.  There were so many things she wanted to ask of Jihoo but not sure if it would be wrong of her to do so.  She wondered if he felt like he didn't belong in Seoul anymore.  He told her they'd both run away from home but why did it feel like New York was more home than home?  No, she didn't want to bring up sorrowful things anymore.  Could she just be happy, without the pain?

Sighing she finished getting ready.  Dressed in capris, tank top and long-sleeved shirt, she said goodbye to Joy.  "Joy-ah, I'll be back later.  Be good for the maids."  She gave her companion a head scratch before walking out the door.  Dropping off the books at the front desk for shipping, she felt a little dizzy.  She realized she hadn't eaten since the plane ride and even then she scarcely touched her food.  Not that she was hungry but she could hear KyuJong and Jihoo scolding her.  Subconsciously, she felt her collar, the ring was still there.  Hopefully, after today, she'd be able to wear it.  Ilana stopped at a crepe restaurant she and her Mama used to frequent, sometimes they'd let Papi join them. 

In the end, she only took a few bites of the crepe, it was too hard.  "Does it get easier?"  She mentally asked Jihoo, she didn't think she'd ever have the nerve to really ask him.  Turning on her phone to get the bus information that would take her to the cemetery; she saw twenty missed calls from Jihoo.  Knowing he'd scold her for not waiting for him, she chose to ignore the calls.  But at the same time, she knew he'd be worried.

Ilana:  Gwenchana, I'll see you tomorrow.

She powered back off as soon she hit send.


Seoul, Republic of Korea, Pre-dawn August 26, 2014
New York, NY,  Afternoon August 25, 2014

Jihoo was lying in bed, not sleeping.  All he could do was pray and worry, worry and pray.  The prayer was supposed to erase the worry but he was human after all.  He dared to hope that God wouldn't have let him and Ilana go through that emotional battle, just to take her away from him.  He was cut off from his mental arguing with God to hear his phone announce a message.  It was Ilana.  "Gwenchana?  Chincha?"  He said to himself.

Jihoo:  Anngwenchana.  Jeongmal, where did you go, why?

Sitting up in bed, Jihoo massaged his head.  Was it possible to get a migraine at three in the morning?  His phone rang next.

 - "Yeobosayo?"  He answered urgently.

 - "Yah, we found her."  It was WooBin.

 - "Where?  How is she?"

 - "Anieyo, we just know where she's at.  My guys have been tracking her all night.  It's a good thing we had all her private info already.  They were able to trace her credit card.  She hasn't made any calls except for a little while ago; she sent you a text, right?"

 - "Deh, what did you find out?"

 - "She booked a flight from Newark to LAX and has a return flight booked for tomorrow night.  It looks like she planned to get back around the same time as you.  She spent almost two c-notes (U.S. slang for $100) at a few stores last night and looks like she ate out somewhere this morning.  She's in a town twenty miles south of Los Angeles; it's where she grew up.  We have someone going to look for her.  What do you want us to do?"

 - "Just make sure she's alright."

 - "Arraso, I've got the phone number of her family residence and I'm texting it to you.  And her flight information.  Dude, you two owe me.  I expect my niece and nephew to be named after us."

Jihoo chuckled, "kansamnida, I'll let you two come over for dinner."  Jihoo had received the text.  "I got your text."

 - "Peace out," WooBin said.

Jihoo wondered why she had gone home all of a sudden.  If something was wrong with her Nana, she would have told him, so he thought.  She wasn't running from him because she said she'd see him when he returned.  He eagerly called the house, hoping she was there.

 - "Casa de la Familia Contreras (Home of the Contreras Family)," Nana answered the phone.

 - "Ilana Contreras, por favor (please)."

 - "Lo siento, la Señorita Ilana no se encuentra (I'm sorry, Miss Ilana isn't here)."

 - "Sabe cuándo vuelve (Do you know when she'll be back)?"

 - "Quien habla (Who's calling)?"  Nana was getting wary of the stranger.

Jihoo searched his brain for the words, "Amigo y vecino (friend and neighbor).  Es urgente que hable con Ilana (It's urgent I speak to her)."

 - "Si deberás es amigo, sabrá cómo comunicarse con ella (If you're really her friend you would know how to get a hold of her)."

 - "Fue a (she went to) Los Angeles but just told me she was okay and she'll see me tomorrow, por favor (please)?"  Jihoo couldn't get his brain to speak the language fast enough.  Then he remembered, "Usted pidió cuidar a su niña, no (You asked me to watch over your girl, didn't you)?"

 - "Ay Dios Santo (Oh dear God)!  Doctorcito (Young Doctor)?"

 - "Sí, me trajo comida (Yes, you brought me food)."

 - "Ay Dios Mío (Oh dear God), mi niña no ha venido aquí (My girl hasn't come here)."

 - "If you see her, call me."  Jihoo ended the call after giving the woman his number.  Where was that girl and why hadn't she gone to her house.


California August 25, 2014

 - "Dios mío (My God)," Nana prayed.  "Cuide a mi niña (take care of my girl), en donde este (wherever she is) y bendiga el doctorcito (and bless the young Doctor)."  She briefly wondered if she should call Suzy, but didn't want to worry the girl. She had to leave the situation in God's hands.  Only He knew why she was here and leaving tomorrow.

Ilana arrived at the cemetery and headed for the flower shop.  Picking out a mish-mosh bouquet of pink carnations, telling her Mama that she loved her, purple hyacinth to say sorry for getting into trouble and crimson roses, because not a day went by she didn't mourn for them.  Getting directions to the gravesite, she took the tram up the hill.  Walking down would not be a problem.  Her parents were in what they called a semi-private estate.  About the size of an office cubicle, they were surrounded by a wrought iron fence with rose bushes on both sides and plenty of grass in the middle.  A short stone wall separated the walkway leading to the estates from the surrounding property.  There was even a fountain nearby; her Mama must have picked the plot out.

Tears rushed forward when Ilana entered the gate to the property and viewed her parent’s picture on the black slab of marble in front of her. “Mama!  Papa" She sat on the blanket she had brought and continued crying.  She didn't cry when she was given the news, she never came to the funeral to cry.  Ilana now cried for the fourteen years she never shed a tear.  It would have been sixteen, except her friends and Jihoo were always making her cry.  "I'm sorry, Mama, Papi!  I let you down!  I'm sorry!  I know you're not here, you're somewhere else but this is all I could do to talk to you.  I'm sorry, I never came to you!  I'm sorry!  I've been so lonely.  I couldn't sing or play.  Mama, I couldn't feel the music anymore.  It was just noise and that scared me.  If it weren't for my friends, I'd still be in that same state of mind.  Why did God take you from me?!  Why did He take Jihoo's parents too?!  Why did you have to leave me?!  Jihoo says God has his plans and in those plans, perhaps we were supposed to meet.  Is that true?  I tried to go with you but Kike and Juan Carlos stopped me.  Why couldn't you just take me with you?"  Ilana had to stop and catch her breath.  Trying to steady herself, she took a deep breath.  "Papi, Jihoo plays the violin way better than you.  I thought you were perfect until I met him. Ilana tried to joke.  "His playing is beautiful, Papi.  It's a perfect extension of who he is and what he's feeling.  He was only four, when...his parents were in the accident.  Music, the violin, was the only way he could express himself.  Before I knew who was playing making the music, I knew sometimes the person playing it was sad and it made me sad too.  I'm sorry I can't make music anymore, Mama, it hurts too much.  It's not the same without you.  I'm sorry, me perdona (do you forgive me)?  I'm a terrible daughter, I know.  I didn't continue my music, I didn't take over the company, perdóname (forgive me).”  Ilana placed the flowers in the allotted vases and wept some more.


Seoul, Republic of Korea, Dawn August 26, 2014

 - "Yeobosayo?  What did you find out?"  An anxious Jihoo answered WooBin's call.

 - "Mianhae, it took us a while, but we know where she's at, right this moment.  One of our people is on their way there.  She used her card at Rose Hills Memorial Park.  It didn't take rocket science to figure out that her parents are buried there."

 - "Ah, paboya, why didn't she wait for me?  Aish, I would have gone with her.  Why does she insist on handling things on her own?Jihoo spoke to himself more than WooBin but WooBin knew this already.

 - "Yah, what's going on with you two?  You put off coming to Seoul because she was sick and now she's in LA with her phone turned off?"

 - "It's a long story.  Naega just worried for her.  I'm going to get the pilot to try and move up our take off.  Even if it's by two hours, I can be in Newark when she lands."

 - "I'll call you back as soon as our people get to her."

 - "Na won't be able to concentrate until I hear back from you."

 - "Ara, we'll find her and tail her until she's on the plane back to Newark."

 - "Komapta."


Los Angeles, California, Afternoon August 25, 2014

Ilana spent hours talking to her parents about everything that happened in her life, her friends and Jihoo.  "Papi, what do I do?  Don't you think he deserves better than your daughter?  Na, I mean I..., told him everything, hoping he'd realize I wasn't good enough for him.  But he insisted; he even gave me his Umma's...” Ilana shook her head, "Mama's ring.  What do I do?  Mama, I really want what it symbolizes.  Papi, am I wishing for a fairy tale?  I thought I didn't need love.  No, I thought I didn't want it.  Not after, you know...I even rejected YoungSaeng and it hurt me to hurt him like that but I just couldn't do it.  I couldn't picture giving my heart to any man like that.  Then Jihoo came along and there was a new aching in my heart.  It made me wonder, what real love was?  Like you and Papi had."  Somewhere along the way, she had directed the conversation to her Mother.  "Can I be that selfish?  Mama, I have so many scars. How can this be right?  He's amazing and beautiful and I-I just feel ugly.  He tells me I'm yippeun, it means pretty.  He scolds me when I don't believe him.  Mama, I'm scared.  I can't stand seeing him hurt.  I don't want to be the one that hurts him.  Everything about me is like rubbing salt in his wounds.  His wounds were healed and he reopened them for me!  How is that fair?!" Ilana's voice was going from talking for hours.  She was exhausted and her cough was picking up but she had yet to achieve peace.  At that moment, she could easily just die and go with her parents so Jihoo would never have to endure her pain again.  "I'm tired, Mama, Papi.  Que hago (what should I do)?"  She sobbed.


Seoul, Republic of Korea Mid-Morning August 26, 2014

Jihoo was on his way to the different clinics before he left later that afternoon.  Yesterday afternoon, he'd had to give the museum his attention.  Thankfully, he didn't need to deal with the school or the sports stadium this trip.  His phone rang as he drove.  "Yeobosayo?"  He used the car's Bluetooth to answer.

 - "Yo, Jihoo, my man.  Alright, they've spotted her.  She hasn't moved from her parent’s graveside."

 - "So she's been there for about five or six hours?  What has she been doing?"

 - "Mollah?  Dude, what are you supposed to do when you go to grave sights?  They're keeping their distance and are just observing her.  All they said was she's sitting on a blanket and hasn't moved."

Jihoo pulled over to the side of the road and leaned his head against the headrest.  "Has she eaten at all?"

 - "They didn't say.  They've been observing her for a few hours now.  I'll find out more when they call me back."

 - "Komapta, WooBin.  I owe you one."

 - "Ara, Na won't let you forget."

 - "Let me know when she leaves," Jihoo sighed, terminating the call.  He could imagine what was happening.  She'd never been to the cemetery before.  It must be overwhelming and yet, she chose to face it alone instead of with him.  Why?  The worst was being here and she was in Los Angeles.  Even if he wanted to, he couldn't reach her before she left.  "Lord, let her be safe, juseyo.  My faith is imperfect and yet, you gave her to me to love and protect. I can only have faith you won't take her from me."  Jihoo drove off to his scheduled meetings.


California, Late Afternoon/Evening August 25, 2014

Ilana was exhausted and coughing and the breeze in the hills was picking up, making her shiver.  Just not ready to leave yet, she laid stomach-down on the blanket, with her knees bent up.  How many times had she and her Mother done that in the garden?  Resting her head on her folded arms, "Mama, I'm scared.  I held something back from him.  I-I was too scared to say it.  What if...what if it really is too much?  When he kept staying by my side, I really didn't want him to go.  Despite my fears, I don't want him to go, Mama?  What do I do?  I have to tell him, don't I?  I have to tell him about...the others?"  She wept silently while exhaustion took over and she dozed off.  An unlikely place to take a nap but when it's impossible to keep your eyes open anywhere will do.

WooBin's spies had kept a distant eye on Ilana all day.  It was getting very late, the park gates would be closing soon.  It was also just about dark outside and Ilana hadn't moved from her vigil.

 - "Hey boss," the spy spoke into the phone.

 - "Was up?"

 - "The gates are going to close and the girl hasn't moved."

WooBin knew it was late.  The fact that Jihoo hadn't called him back was only due to him most likely being extremely busy.  But he knew they had to get Ilana back to wherever she was staying before something happened.  "Arraso, get your partner to approach her and somehow get her back to where she's staying."

 - "Ten-four, boss."  The man turned to the lady next to him.  "You’re up; I'll head down to the side gate."

 - "I'll give you a call," the lady said.  With a flashlight, she approached Ilana.  "Is this girl asleep?  Who sleeps at a cemetery?  Excuse Me!"  She said loudly and shining the light on Ilana.  "Hey!  Park's closed, you need to leave."  When there still wasn't a response, the lady banged the gate with her flashlight.  When there still was no response, she opened the gate and nudged Ilana's foot with her own.

Ilana felt herself being nudged and someone's voice yelling.  She sat up abruptly to find it was nighttime and a light flashing in her face.

 - "Hey!  You gotta go or I'll call the police.”  Sleep drunk, cold, and coughing, she nervously stood up and picked up the blanket.  The cotton sleeves of her shirt were no match for the cool wind that blew through the hills at night.

 - "Hey, I don't see a car nearby.  Where did you park?"

 - "I-I...walked," Ilana finally spit out.

 - "Come on, there are wild animals in these hills.  Some of them are human; I'll take you down in the cart."

 - "That’s ok," the lady was currently more frightening to Ilana than what might or might not be out there.  Head still foggy, Ilana began walking in the opposite direction of the main road.

 - "Hey!  You're going the wrong way!"  The lady walked up to her.  "Come on, you'll be down the hill in five minutes."

Ilana resigned herself and got in the cart. Powering on her phone to check the bus schedule, she realized she missed the last direct bus to the town center.  She'd now have to take two busses.  She also saw the missed text from Jihoo.  As she didn't have anything to tell him yet, he'd have to wait until their return tomorrow.

 - "I'm sorry," the lady said.  "Was it recent?"

Ilana shook her head 'no'.

 - "Ah, but I bet it still hurts, huh?"  They were approaching the main gate and Ilana saw there was only a small opening left.  "Well, here you are, be careful going home.  There’s not that much light on this street."

 - "Thank you," Ilana got out of the cart and ran across the street to the bus stop.

The lady waited with lights off, at the gate until she saw Ilana get on the bus and called her partner.  "Twenty (location) is on the bus heading South on Workman."

 - "Ten-four, I'm on it.  I'll call the boss at her ninety-nine (final destination)."

An hour later, Ilana arrived at the hotel exhausted, shivering, and coughing.  She sunk into bed grateful for Joy's comfort and wept.

The man waited to make sure Ilana didn't come back out before contacting WooBin.  "Boss, have a ninety-nine for you."

 - "What's your twenty (location)?"

 - "ILC Inn."

 - "Ten-four (understood), keep on her until she's on that plane tomorrow 4-10 (agreed)?"

 - "Ten-four boss."

WooBin terminated the call.  Once Jihoo advised them she hadn't gone home, they suspected she was staying at her family's hotel.  Like what happened at her company, no one was willing to give them information.  This just confirmed their suspicions.  It meant the entire staff had already been briefed not to say anything about their special guest.  Now, he needed to contact Jihoo.


Afternoon, Seoul, Republic of Korea August 26, 2014

Jihoo was spending the last hour before he left with his Grandfather and JanDi.  He had just terminated his call from WooBin.  He was only slightly relieved that she was no longer in the cemetery.  He wouldn't be completely relieved until she was back in New York.

 - "Gwenchana?"  JanDi asked.  "Did WooBin need anything?"

 - "This boy is most likely worried over his admin,” Grandfather teased.

 - "Deh, Harabeoji.  She's stubborn and has a bad habit of not following her Doctor's orders."

Grandfather chuckled, "Jihoo-ah can scold her all you want when you get back."

 - "Deh Harabeoji."  Jihoo had told no one about their conversation.  Only JunPyo had asked him soon after his arrival.

 

"Did she tell you?"

"Deh."

"Ottoshimnika (What are you going to do)?"

 - "Mollah?  She went home without telling me.  I don't know what I'll find when I get back home."

Los Angeles, California (Morning)

Ilana had wanted to return to the cemetery before her departure but she slept right through the wakeup call.  She was groggy from lack of sleep.  She'd had odd dreams overnight or during her nap at the cemetery or both.  She couldn't remember.  Ordering tea and a light breakfast, she ran around getting her and Joy packed.  Her coughing was insistent while she was getting ready.  Drinking her tea helped but she looked at her food without appetite and only picked at it, eating only enough to honestly say she did eat.  Getting a hot tea from the cafe to go, she and Joy left to meet the shuttle in the parking lot.

 - "Annyǒnghi kyeseyo, Umma, Appa.  Bogoshipoyo," Ilana said as her plane finally took off, an hour late.  She didn't know why she spoke in Korean.  It just seemed appropriate.  These last few days had been exhausting.  Drinking another hot tea and slightly less than half a sandwich, she then asked to have her bed made.  She still didn't trust her dreams but she really wanted to get some rest before getting to her destination.  Placing the pet carrier next to her on the bed, she ended up closing her eyes.  Her thoughts drifted to the very vivid dream of her parents.  She'd only ever dreamt of them in her nightmares.  This was different; she was having a conversation with them.

 - "Cariño, ya no temes mas (Dear, don't be afraid any longer)?"  She saw her Mother smiling at her and she could smell her perfume.

 - Dios me envía su amor y su verdad, hija (Daughter, God will send forth his loving-kindness and his truth)!  No tengas miedo, el amor viene de Dios (Don't be afraid, love comes from God)."

 - "Papi!  Cuando Dios me amó (When did God love me)?  Me dejo sola en este mundo (he left me alone in this world)."

 - "No Chiquita (little one), tuviste a Nana (you've had Nana), quien a orado por ti desde que estabas en mi vientre hasta hoy (who's prayed for you were in my womb until today)."

She knew her Mother was right and felt chastised.

 - "Nosotros to queremos muchísimo, cariño (We love you so much, dear)."  She felt her Mother's hand on her head as she used to her hair to get her to sleep.  She had forgotten.  "Te dejamos lo mejor de nosotros (We left you the best of ourselves).  Crecistes con mucho amor, mi niña (You were raised with lots of love, my little girl).  Ya es tiempo de que abres tu corazón (It’s time that you open your heart)."

 - "La verdad te liberará, hija (Daughter, the truth will set you free).  Te trajimos al mundo con mucha felicidad (We brought you into this world with much joy).  Ya no estés triste (Don't be sad anymore)."

 - "El amor está en tu alcance, hija (Love is within your grasp, daughter)!"   Her Father almost pleaded with her and then turned to her Mother and smiled.

The more she told them she was afraid, the more they told her to open her heart.

Ilana had dozed off, the stewardess nudged her awake.  "Miss, we're about an hour or so before landing.  Allow me to raise the bed and get you more tea for your cough, yes?"

 - "Yes, I'd like that, thank you."  She placed the carrier back under the seat and decided to freshen up.  Had it not been for Joy, she wouldn't have spent the money on a first-class ticket but now she was happy that she did.  Ilana had been able to get a little more rest and of course, a direct window seat and joy had extra room as well.  Taking off her blazer, she rolled up the sleeves of her sweater to wash her face.  The cold water made her shiver.  Even in the light sweater and tank top, she had to throw on the blazer and ask for a blanket because she was cold.  Perhaps she was just overtired, she thought.  She took out the scarf Jihoo had given her and some gloves to put on after she reapplied her makeup.  Trying to hide the tear stains and dark circles on her face, she sighed once she was done.  Jihoo would see right through her and scold her.  "Jihoo-yah," she whispered.  "Eottoke (What should I do)?"  Subconsciously, she brought a hand to her chest and felt the ring.  Almost as if sleepwalking, she removed the necklace from her neck.  It was a beautiful ring, white gold and simple but elegant.  Fear gripped her heart.  Could she dare wear it?  Still examining the ring, she had a vision of a woman with Jihoo's smile.  She was beautiful just like him.  Ilana smiled as tears fall down her eyes once again.

They had landed and Ilana felt at peace, if not entirely herself.  Still very tired, cold, and irritated with her coughing, she used the handle of the carryall to steady her while she disembarked the plane. 

Newark, NJ

Jihoo had arrived thirty minutes prior to Ilana's landing.  What would she say to him?  How would she look after facing such a hurdle on her own?  He would've wanted to be there for her, but knowing a little of how she thought.  She had to prove to herself that she could do this for him.  "Paboya," he thought.  Her flight was delayed an hour and he gave his driver leave to take his dinner or relax.  Jihoo was a little too nervous to eat.  He hoped she hadn't made herself sick.  It was very late in the U.S. when WooBin finally advised him she had gone to her family's hotel.  That was over eight hours since WooBin told him she was at the cemetery.  He didn't realize he was wearing a hole in the tile with his pacing when his driver came up to him.

 - "Dr. Yoon, the plane is not going to land any faster for all your pacing."

Jihoo chuckled, "you're right."

 - "Here, have a sandwich.  You can't greet Miss Ilana on an empty stomach."  He'd driven for Jihoo many times and never seen him in this state of nervous anticipation.  The Doctor always portrayed perfect calm and confidence.  He'd only met the young lady once.  But even if the Doctor didn't know it then, he always thought they made a good match.

 - "Thank you, I scarcely ate on the plane."

 - "Or slept."  The usually meticulous Doctor's face showed dark circles under his eyes.

 - "You know I can't sleep when there is work to be done."

 - "Hmm, I thought Miss Ilana was pleasure - not work."

 - "She's both," Jihoo smiled.  He'd take the work before the rest. It made the reward that much sweeter.

United Airlines flight 1244, now landing

The PA system had just announced Ilana's flight.  Jihoo stood nervously, sandwich now forgotten.  She wasn't expecting him, what would her reaction be?

Ilana stepped out of the jet bridge and into the airport.   She was looking forward to going home; her body was cold and achy and longed for nothing more than a hot bath and her bed.  "Gwenchana, Joy.  We're almost home."  Ilana had no luggage to pick up, so she moved slowly in the direction of the exit.  Looking up, she was met with a sight she wasn't expecting to see.  Standing frozen in her spot, she didn’t know whether to run in fear or run into his arms; she wanted to smile and she wanted to cry.  In the end, she did nothing but stare wide-eyed, not knowing what to do.

Jihoo saw her step from the jet bridge, she walked slowly.  She was tired, he'd seen her that way countless of times.  Then she looked up and saw him, every emotion crossing her face but she acted on none of them, remaining rooted in place, Jihoo as well.  Her cough broke the spell and he was at her side in instant.

 - "Ilana-yah, gwenchana?"  He had his arms around her, soothing her back until the coughing ceased.  He saw her nod her head and lean into him.  Resting her head against him and holding him just as tight.

 - "I'm just tired," she said, suddenly getting emotional.  It felt so nice, so normal to hold him and have him hold her.  She didn't think she could let go even if she had to.

It slowly dawned on Jihoo, that something was very wrong.  He pulled her away from him slightly.  Her face registered confusion but also pallor and exhaustion.  Taking in her long sleeves, blazer, gloves, and scarf, he felt her face.  "Ilana-yah, you're fever is back!"  He thought she had been shaking from emotion but now seeing her as bundled as she was, he knew she had the chills.  "Let's get you to the car."  He turned to the driver.  "Take her things and we'll meet you at the curb."

 - "I'll go immediately."  He was already slinging Joy over his shoulder and walking quickly with the carry-on.

 - "Agassi, climb on my back."

Ilana was about to protest but began to cough instead.  "Gwenchana, I can walk," Ilana breathed heavily once recovered.

 - "Andwae," Jihoo was already crouching down.  "If Ilana wants to faint in the airport, I'll be more than happy to call an ambulance."

 - "Andwae!"  Ilana hesitated for a second but knew if she really did faint, although she didn't think she would, he would call an ambulance.  She climbed on; at least she was wearing pants.  She was so relieved to be back home, that riding on Jihoo's back through the airport, didn't bother her as much as it should.  She really was exhausted; so exhausted, she felt her eyes closing as Jihoo walked.  Then she realized something.  "Jihoo-yah?"

 - "Mmm."

 - "You're here - at the airport.  You knew?"

 - "Deh, na told Ilana, every time I leave something happens."

 - "Oh, but what happened?"  As far as Ilana knew, the only thing she did was leave the state without letting him know.

 - "Amugeotdo anieyo (never mind)," he shook his head and chuckled.

The second-row captain chairs had been pushed together and once the SUV was out of the airport Ilana fell right to sleep.  Jihoo's medical bag was handy and he was able to reach over to take her temperature.  It was just under 104 (40c) and her pulse was faster than her normal, just like the day her flu symptoms became visible.  She needed rest and she needed it now.  "Ilana-yah, did you not sleep the entire time I was gone?"  Her cough had gotten into her lungs but it didn't sound severe.  He wouldn't be able to tell over all her layers.  "Ilana-yah, did you find your answer?"  He asked as he took one of her gloved hand in his and kissed it.

 - "Kike," Ilana mumbled.

 - "What about your Oppa?"  Jihoo asked.

 - "Tell Jihoo," she said.

This was different.  What did she want her brother to tell him?  "Yah," he tried nudging her awake but she wouldn’t budge.

New York, NY

Once they arrived at the apartment, Ilana still wouldn't wake up.  Lifting Her onto his back, he took her to the door and entered her passcode.  He had already memorized it.

 - "I'll let the cat out Dr. Yoon and leave her carryall, here by the door, next to your bag."

 - "Thank you for your help today."

 - "Don't mention it."  The driver saw his own way out.  He didn't need to wait for a tip because Jihoo paid him generously at the end of each month.

Jihoo laid Ilana on her bed, arranging the blankets so that she was under them.  He removed her shoes, her blazer and after assuring himself she had a tank top under, he removed her sweater.  He noticed the ring was no longer on the chain.  Finally, removing her gloves, there was the ring on her right hand.  "Wae didn't Ilana-yah tell me?"  He tucked the blankets around her and took a towel from her bathroom to dampen it.


August 27, 2014

Jihoo had stayed by Ilana's side all night.  She only opened her eyes for a few seconds before closing them again.  There weren’t any fever dreams this time, but she every now and then called for her brother.

"Kike...tell Jihoo...scared."

It was still early; he had already sent a text to SungRyung, advising her of Ilana's relapse.

 - "Kike...," again, Ilana called out to her brother.  Her temperature climbed all night and was dangerously close to 105 (40.55c).  He had already started her on the IV.  Thankfully, he had taken several kits last time, just in case.   "Kike...tell..."  After listening to Ilana call her brother again, he decided it must be important and took out her phone.

Miami, FL

Ricky Martin had just risen and was eating breakfast on the patio.  It would get much warmer later.  His phone rang and he smiled to see who was on the other line.  "Manita!  Me tienes abandonado (You've abandoned me)!"

 - "I apologize, this isn't Ilana."

 - "Why do you have my Sister's phone and where is she and who the devil are you."  Kike was afraid, for his sister, and angry.   If she was in danger, he was a two or three-hour plane ride away.

 - "I believe you need to calm down first."

 - "Tell me about my sister!"

 - "I've been attempting to since you answered!"  Jihoo was getting equally frustrated.  "She's been running a high fever and calling for you all night.  Your sister said you live in Miami?  How fast can you get to the airport?"

 - "Wait, what's going on?  Who are you?"

Who was Jihoo, really?   "The one who loves her."  She had accepted the ring, so he spoke with confidence the next statement.   Even if it wasn't 100% true.  "I'm her fiancé."

 - "Perdón (Excuse me)?"  Kike was going to blow a gasket.  "My sister doesn't even have a boyfriend."

 - "She does now and you have an hour to get to the airport. You're flying American and I'll have someone waiting for you at La Guardia when you arrive.  I'm Jihoo Yoon; we'll talk more when you get here."  He gave his best F4 authority and terminated the call.  "Arraso, Na have your Oppa coming."  Jihoo bent to kiss her forehead and then followed up with a cool damp cloth.  She was still very warm; the antiviral hadn't kicked in yet.

Ricky Martin remained frozen for a minute longer.  What exactly was going on?  If this was a trick for ransom, he wouldn't be sending him a plane ticket and a driver?  The plane ticket arrived in his text messages and that prompted Kike to hurry and throw things in a backpack and go.

1:00 PM, New York, NY

Jihoo was wiping Ilana's face again.  "Kike...tell..."

 - "Shih, it's Jihoo, Oppa is on his way."  Jihoo shushed her.

 - "Jihoo-yah?"

 - "Deh?"

 - "Sarang...scared."

 - "Ara nae sarang, we'll get through this together."  He caressed her hair.  Joy had come on the bed and meowed for her Umma.  "Joy-ah, maybe you can get through to her."  The kitten pawed at her Umma's face.

  - "Joy-ah, she's stirring."  Ilana was, in fact, trying to move away from the paw that kept tapping her face.  "Choah goyangi!"  The cat, on top of Ilana's chest, meowed right in her face.

 - "Joy-ah?  Why are you out of your carrier?"  Ilana thought they were still on the plane.

 - "Ilana-yah, you're home, open your eyes."  He caressed her face.  She was still weak.  It would take more than one night's rest for her to recover.

 - "Home?"  She smiled in her sleep and Jihoo did too.

 - "Deh, open your eyes."

Ilana wanted to go toward Jihoo's voice but she was so tired.  She couldn't walk anymore.  "I'm so tired."

 - "Gwenchana, I'll carry you."  He carefully climbed on the bed opposite of her and lifted her to lean on his chest.  He wanted her to feel the rise and fall of his chest, breathing in time for her.  He wrapped one arm around her midsection and the other caressed her hair and face.  The fever was still high, but it was starting to go down.

Ilana felt the cold go away and replaced by a warm blanket.  She felt a small weight on her stomach and thought it was Joy.  She tried feeling for the fuzzy head, even that action hurt.  Her arms and wrists ached but instead of fur, she touched a smooth hand.  This made her jump in reaction.  Eyes open, now, she somewhat recognized her room.

 - "Yah, yah, it's me, you don't have to be afraid."  Jihoo didn't let her go, just continued caressing her hair.  "Gwenchana, you're safe, no one's hurting you."

He felt her relax again as he began massaging the back of her neck with a gentle rhythm.  Only then did she see her cat curled between her and Jihoo.

 - "Joy-ah, you were next to me."

 - "Mmm, she's not happy Umma is sick again.  How do you feel?"

 - "I'm tired; it hurts just to keep my eyes open."

 - "Gwenchana, sleep a little longer, Na have a surprise for you in about an hour." Her Brother's plane had landed and he figured he'd be arriving soon.

 - "Na...Don’t like....surprises."

Jihoo's massaging was putting her right back to sleep.  "Ilana will like this one."

 - "Shiro," she said and drifted off again.

Ricky Martin’s plane had arrived on schedule.  He managed to hide behind a hat and dark glasses and wasn't bothered in the airport.  Only grabbing a few things, he didn't have any luggage.  He didn't know how he was supposed to find the driver until he saw a sign that said Contreras on it.  That had to be him.  "Excuse me, did a Mr. Yoon send you?"

 - "Yes, right this way, Mr. Martin, I'll be taking you to Miss Ilana's apartment."

 - "So she's home?"

 - "Yes, did you expect her to be elsewhere?"  The driver was a bit smart with the celebrity but he was used to dealing with puffed-up egos.  Not that this man was coming across that way, he just wanted to nip any type of that behavior before it started.

They drove to Ilana's apartment in silence, Kike trying hard to figure out what was happening and the driver would refuse to release information.  "I trust you'll find your Sister in good hands, Dr. Jihoo is one of the top physicians at New York Pres."

 - "This Doctor claimed to be my Sister's fiancé; you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

 - "I know they are close, I don't know anything more, sir.  We'll be there in fifteen minutes and then you can ask them all the questions you want.  Ah, Dr. Jihoo said she just recently changed her passcode, if you don't have it, please text her phone and he'll answer the door for you."

 - "He's in her apartment as we speak?  Are we talking about the same Ilana Contreras?"

 - "I assure you that we are.  We'll be there in ten more minutes."

Arriving at the Coleman Tower building, Kike practically jumped in the elevator to the tenth floor, texting his Sister's phone.

Jihoo had begun to doze off when Ilana's phone rang with a message.  He silenced it immediately and carefully removed himself from Ilana who was still leaning on him.  He opened the door and let Ricky Martin in, wondering why Ilana had told him her Brother was one of his dancers.  Kike walked in and Jihoo bowed to him.  "I'm Jihoo Yoon; it's a pleasure to meet you."

Kike, still not knowing what to make of this man, could only ask about his sister.  "Excuse me; I'd like to see my sister."

 - "She's in her room, she's still very weak, so she fell back asleep once she woke."

 - "But what happened?"

 - "She had the flu, got better, ran home for a few days and relapsed."

 - "She went to her house?"

 - "No, she stayed at a hotel."

 - "But why?"

 - "I'm not too sure; I wish she would have waited for me.  She went to see her parents?"

 - "She did?  Her birth parents?"  Kike knew that her guardians, Edgardo and Hermila were in Puerto Rico, they haven't seen Ilana in a while.

 - "Yes, her birth parents."

 - "Do you know?"

 - "Yes, I know a lot of things.  You and I, I imagine can discuss things later.  At the moment, Ilana has been calling you in her sleep.  I'll leave for a while and let you two have some time to talk.  I have patients I need to see, I just got back into town as well.  I've written the door's passcode and my phone number in the kitchen if anything comes up."  With that Jihoo walked out the door.  He thought it best to give Ilana and her Brother space to talk.  Jihoo imagined he had shocked the other man, announcing that Ilana was his fiancé.  He was curious to know what her reaction will be when her Brother tells her what he said.

Kike just couldn't wrap his head around things.  Ilana had said no to YoungSaeng but less than a year later, she not only had a boyfriend but a fiancé?  He decided it was time for answers.  His sister was still sound asleep.  Kike felt her forehead, she really was hot.  It had been a while since he'd seen her so ill.  "Ilana, chica?  Manita, es Kike (it’s Kike).  Despierte, quieres (Don't you want to wake up)?"

 - "Kike..., tell...Jihoo," Ilana mumbled.

 - "Oye, chica, de que se trata todo esto (Hey girl, what's this all about)?"  Ilana's fever was playing tricks on her again.  Now, she thought she heard Kike's voice.  She tried feeling around for Jihoo but her arms felt like lead.  Kike took her hand and smoothed her hair, "Manita?  Despierta (wake up)."

She didn't understand why she kept hearing her Brother.  "Jihoo-yah?"  She struggled to open her eyes.  "Jihoo-yah, I hear Kike," she opened her eyes to see her Brother's worried ones staring down at her.  "Kike!"  The burst of excitement caused her to begin coughing and a water bottle was brought to her lips.  "How?  Where?"  Ilana thought her head would explode with the questions she wanted to ask, but couldn't spit out.

 - "Que está pasando (What's going on), chica?"

Ilana knew Kike's Puerto Rican accent came out strong when he was upset or agitated. "M-mollah?  I-I don't Know?"  She didn't know why she was so nervous.

 - "Entonces, quién sabe (In that case, who knows)Me llamabas en tus sueños (You were calling me in your dreams)?"

 - "I was?  Oh, I...guess?"

 - "Chica, I just heard you say, 'Kike tell Jihoo'.  Who is he and what do I need to tell him?"

 - "Oh," Ilana pet Joy's head to calm herself.  Thankfully the kitten hadn't left at the entrance of the stranger.  "I-I went to-to see my parents, Kike."

 - "So, I heard...and...?"

 - "I want this, Kike, but I'm scared."

 - "What do you want?  He said he knew a lot of things, was there something you didn't tell him but you want me to?"

Ilana shook her head, "I-I want...I don't know..., to be happy.  I-I did leave something out, I-I couldn't say it.  It was different talking about the one, but the multiple, I-I just couldn’t do it.  Unless he asked and he never did but what if it's the one thing that will put him over the edge and he'll say 'I can't do it'."  She was rambling, fresh tears falling down her face.

 - "Tranquilízate (calm down), I don't understand what you're trying to say."

 - "Ugh!  I really wish there was a way to extract memories and then I wouldn't have to say anything."

 - "Manita, unless you tell me, what is going on, I'm leaving."

 - "No!"  Ilana began coughing again.  "I-I didn't-didn't tell him everything about that time, those-those six months."

 - "Does it matter?"

 - "It-it matters to me, I-I'm afraid to not tell him.  It-it means I don't trust him, I do but-but not with this.  What if he finally says 'enough'?  'I can't take it'?"

 - "Well, do you think he will?"

 - "Anieyo but what if he does?"

 - "Is he your fiancé?"

Ilana was surprised at the question.  "I-I don't know, he-he gave me his Umma's ring and...I-I put it on."  Ilana looked at her right hand.

 - "Than, I don't think you have to worry but you've been honest with him up to now, you need to continue being so."

 - "I-I didn't tell him you were my Brother.  I didn't want him looking at the website.  I told him so many lies before but he made me tell him everything I'd been hiding."

 - "Then you need to finish this."  He saw her pleading look"No, I can't, this is your story and I’ll be there when you talk but it's got to come from you.  If this is what you want, it's gotta come from you.  I'll support you like I always do."

Ilana just nodded her head.  This she already knew, why did she allow herself to get so worked up.  She had felt such peace upon landing.  It was almost like her parents and Jihoo's Umma were giving her that peace.  Most likely the hallucinations of her fevered brain but she'd take it.

Several hours later, Ilana still dozed in and out.  She had told Kike a little about her relationship with Jihoo but her cough got in the way and Kike told her to rest.  "I'm back," Jihoo announced, before walking into Ilana's room.  "She's been dozing in and out," Kike said, rising from the bed.  "Her fever only went down to 103.5. She needs to talk to you."  The unspoken statement from Kike was 'are you willing to take care of her?

Jihoo's response, 'I wouldn't be here if I wasn't'.   "I brought samgyetang, it's chicken soup.  Do you want to wake her up?  Or should I?"

Kike rubbed his hand through his hair.  "Work has kept me busy this year but I hate to admit it, she needs you right now and not me.  If you make her happy, keep her smiling, I'm happy.  Otherwise...” Kike looked at his sister's suitor; they were about the same height and both muscular.  It would be a fair fight.  Kike laughed a little, "I don't think I have to worry, the look on her face when she told me about you.  I know you won't let her scars win.  I'll get a tray, you wake her up."

For the first time in days, Ilana ate well.  Samgyetang was always a favorite with her.  Kike talked about his upcoming album and Jihoo commented on how they'd stayed up late on the night of his performance in Chile.  All In all, Jihoo and Kike were getting along well.  Their chatter was making Ilana drowsy again until Kike caught her nodding off.

 - "No te duermas (Don't fall asleep), chica.  Remember, you wanted to tell Jihoo something."  Kike saw her worried face.  "I'll be here; I'm not going anywhere until you tell him."

 - "Ilana-yah, mwo?  No more secrets, right?"

She shook her head, he was right.  If she really wanted this, it had to be with no secrets.

Jihoo took her hand, "what is it, tell me?"  He saw the tears begin again and he couldn't stop them, he had to let her say what she was thinking.

"Ji-Jihoo asked...me if...there was anything else Na wanted to say about those...six months."  Kike put a hand on her shoulder.  Ilana looked down at the ring he had given her.

Jihoo noticed her gaze.  "Ilana-yah, I'm not going anywhere."

She nodded, "you see it was only the one at first," she closed her eyes and swallowed.  "But later it became different people and sometimes...sometimes...at the same time."  Ilana began a coughing fit and Jihoo took her in his arms and rubbed her back, soothingly.  "I couldn't stop them, even if I tried," she sobbed.

 - "Gwenchana, gwenchana, no one will ever hurt you again.  Sarang, nae sarang," he held her tightly against his chest, murmuring inaudible words in Korean.  Kike thought he should exit the room, but Jihoo saw him.  "It's okay, we haven't any more secrets."  He was smiling, with tears in his eyes.  "But why didn't you wait for me to go home with you?"

 - "I am home, I realized where you are is home," she cupped his face.  "Na told Umma and Appa all about you and when I still didn't know what to do, Na saw your Umma's face smiling at me.  It gave me peace; it was comforting and beautiful, just like her son."

 - "What does this mean to you?"  He took the hand with the ring gently, as it was also the one with the IV.  "Will Ilana accept everything I'm offering?"

 - "Na want to be happy, for however long.  One day, two days, gwenchana."

 - "Paboya, I’m not letting you go ever."

 - "Jihoo-ah, do you promise?"

 - "Mwo?"

 - "Do you promise not to let go?  Even...even if I ever ask you too?  Can...you promise me?  I don't know what I'd do, if...if I couldn't see you again?"

 - "Greomyo!"  He hugged her hard and she back at him.

Kike sat back with tears in his eyes.  He never thought he'd see his Sister open up her heart like that to anyone.  If she didn't do it for YoungSaeng, he thought for sure no one could accomplish it.  But this man did, "Thank you, Lord," the old Catholic in him came out.

Jihoo kissed Ilana's cheek and forehead.  There was plenty of time for a kiss on the lips.  He'd take it slow.

 - "Estoy feliz (I'm happy)," Kike said.

 - "Na do, Oppa, Na do," Ilana teased and stuck her tongue out at him.

 - "Me las vas a pagar por ser me preocupar (You're going to get it for worrying me)," he conked her on the head with a small pillow.

 - "Yah!"  She was cheated out of striking back by a cough.  Jihoo sat next to her on the bed and grabbed her hands.  "Yah, respect your Oppa."

 - "Jihoo-ah...Na don't."  She was turning bright red.  "You don't want...to be called...Oppa...do you?"

Jihoo laughed.  "Whatever Nae sarang wants to call me is fine.  Jihoo is just fine."

Ilana sat up and reached for his face to kiss his cheek.  "Gomawo, sarang."

 


Most of you guessed she went back home to her parent's grave.  She had much to tell them and she imagines them talking to her as well.  This was a time zone nightmare, 3 different time zones!  Aish?  I don't know what your author is thinking half the time.  Alright, next chapter will bring us closer to the wedding! 

***Anyone reading from Spain, please correct my grammar.  I don't mean to mess things up.  lol  I don't even use Ud so this is difficult form me.***