As the Holiday's Approach I: Thanksgiving

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

November 20, 2013

Jihoo had left Seoul that the morning and would be touching down at JFK by 5:30 A.M. the same day. He slept for a while and had just awakened. They could use their phones and laptops at this time. It was about two A.M in New York. He checked his inbox which wasn't overly full. Ilana had made sure to distribute what needed to be handled to Dr. Jaejoong or if it was patient related she took care of it or gave it to the assistants in his office. He smiled; the way Ilana took care of things while he was out, he could start taking extra days. Of course, Jaejoong would kill him and quite possibly the director as well. While his mind was on his admin, he decided to see if she wanted a ride to work. It would make the difference if he went home first or not.

Ilana was only in a light sleep; sleep had been evading her the last few nights.  Though she told herself it was because of the cold she had come down with, she really knew it wasn't that. Her phone, on her nightstand, dinged with a text alert. Not sleeping anyway, she might as well see who it was from.

Dr. Jihoo: Do you want a ride this morning?

Ilana shook her head to wake up a little more. She looked at the time, it wasn't three A.M. yet.

Ilana: It's not even three yet?

Jihoo was surprised to get a response. "What is she doing awake?"

Dr. Jihoo: What are you doing awake at this hour?

Ilana: Dr. Jihoo shouldn't I be asking you that question? You text me, remember?

He smiled. She had a point.

Dr. Jihoo: I'm on a plane, I couldn't sleep anymore. I figured you wouldn't see the text for several more hours. What's your excuse?

Ilana: I was only in a light sleep; I heard the phone and figured I should see who it was.

Dr. Jihoo: Go back to sleep, I don't want you to be sleepwalking at work and hurt yourself again. Should I pick you up when I get there?

First, he woke her up (she conveniently forgot she wasn't asleep anyway), then he makes fun of her, and now he expected her to ride with him?

Ilana: No, thank you, I could use the fresh air to wake me up.

Dr. Jihoo: Arraso, see you later.

Jihoo was slightly disappointed, he had gotten used to her presence for a week.

Ilana lay in bed suddenly very tired. Why did she feel like Dr. Jihoo had a calming effect on her? She'd think about it later, at the moment she was going to try and sleep.


November 22, 2013

Jihoo sat in his office; he hadn't really had a chance to talk to his admin at all since his return. He couldn't continue to ask her if she needed a ride. She was always hard-pressed to accept anyway. He had seen her in the cafeteria the day before. She was napping and he would've woken her but saw she had set her alarm. He turned away, deciding to let her sleep.

 - "Yah, I promised our admin's we'd take them to lunch when you returned." Dr. Jaejoong came into Jihoo's office like whirlwind; disrupting everything as he went along.

 - "Mmm, since you made the promise you can take them."

 - "Come on, it'll be fun, just like a double date."

 - "Is that what this is?" Jihoo gave him a cold look.

 - "Andwae! I was just teasing them. You know Abi wouldn't date me even if I wanted her to."

 - "And do you want her to?" He'd been suspecting that his colleague wanted the challenge of conquering the unyielding Abigaíl.

 - "Mworago? Tch, I don't date nice girls like her. I respect her and there are many things I find admirable about her but that's it."

 - "You're right; she's out of your league."

 - "Yah! She'd be lucky to have me."

 - "Keep telling yourself that." By this time Jihoo was openly smiling. He couldn't help but think how like JunPyo and YiJeong this guy was. "Arraso, what time?”  Sometimes it wasn’t worth arguing and he just gave in.  It wasn’t an unpleasant task, at least.  Make sure you tell Noona so they don't get in trouble if they get back late.”

- "Arraso, one o'clock.  Annyeong!"

Later that morning, SungRyung had received Jaejoong's phone call. She was ecstatic for her favorite young people. She readily gave her consent for the Doctor's to take their admin's to lunch and called both Abigaíl and Ilana into her office.

 - "Hello, my dears, I just wanted to tell you Doctor's Jihoo and Jaejoong want to reward your hard work with lunch today around one." Abigaíl sighed and Ilana's face fell. Ilana had been distant for the past week and SungRyung hoped this lunch would serve as a distraction to whatever was bothering her.

 - "Thank you, Unnie, let them know we'll be ready," Abigaíl answered none too excited.

 - "Now, ladies, be gracious in accepting this reward."

 - "Yes, Unnie." Both girls tried smiling at their boss and went back to their desk, groaning.

Abigaíl could think of better ways to spend her lunch, but at least Dr. Jihoo and Ilana would be there.

Ilana hadn't had much of an appetite been eating very much this week and had hardly been eating.  She had only been going through the motions to convince herself that she really was taking in enough nutrients to sustain herself.  It should make her happy that her hard work was noticed but that's not what motivated her. Filling every waking with hard work so she didn’t have time to remember the past and let the present just pass her by was her motivation.  Brooding over what she needed to do was the main contributor to her loss of appetite.  Having come to a decision, she just couldn’t make her fingers dial the phone.  Actually, she didn't want them to move.  Making the call would mean she was no longer in control of her life.  Wasn’t that why she left home?

The morning passed and Abigaíl and Ilana were already meeting the Doctors downstairs. 

 - "Hello ladies," Dr. Jaejoong greeted them with his usual vivacity. "Since Jihoo and I both have two-seaters, we've called a cab.”

Ilana noticed Abigaíl exhale in relief.

 - "How is your knee?" Dr. Jihoo asked when they were in the cab.

Ilana was distracted, plucking at a button on her coat.

 - "Chica!" Abigaíl laughed. "Dr. Jihoo just asked how your knee is."

 - "Forgive me, Dr. Jihoo, I was distracted for a moment. It's much better, thank you, for asking."

 - "The Ajumma is back," he thought. Jihoo studied her, as she returned her gaze out the window. She was a million miles away.

 - "You have a cold again?" He could hear it in her voice and he had seen her sneezing as she and Abigaíl walked towards the entrance.

 - "Yes, just a mild one."

 - "Make sure to get some rest, this weekend.  You don't want to be sick for Thanksgiving."

 - "Yes, I know."

 - "What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" Jihoo asked, curious. If it was her first holiday away from home it might be difficult for her.

 - "We're adopting her for the day," Abigaíl answered. Ilana gave her a half smile.

 - "My Brother will be here by the end of the week;" Ilana tried to think of something positive.

 - "From Miami? You're still coming over, right?"

 - "Yes, of course. He's still wrapping up work in Sydney, so he doesn't know exactly what day he will arrive.”

The party of four walked into Il Tesoro Ristorante and was seated. Ilana looked over the menu and all the food sounded delicious but she desired none of it. She settled for simple basil and sun-dried tomato pasta, while Abigaíl and Jihoo ordered seafood dishes and Jaejoong the veal.

 - "Remember, I will be out next week," Jaejoong said to Abigaíl.

 - "I know, any follow-ups that are required should be done with Dr. Amy."

 - "Gomawo, Abi-ya, you're the best."

 - "Just make sure you don't forget come Christmas."  Abigaíl wanted to see what he would say.

 - "Arraso, American Girl store for Isabel and a spa certificate for Umma."

 - "Why are you taking me seriously? I was just kidding. I don't expect anything! And you've spoiled Abigaíl enough these last few months."

 - "I can't help it. I can't wait for Umma to meet her. My parents arrive next week; will your restaurant be open next weekend?"

 - "Of course, it's the first Sunday of the month, we have the Mariachi coming."

 - "That's right! They'll love that. You two should join us. If your Oppa comes, bring him too." Jaejoong was getting excited about having a large gathering. He had never liked being an only child.

 - "I'm sure he'll be tired from his trip but I'll ask him." She didn't think Kike wanted to reveal his identity. He can't hide under a hat and glasses inside a restaurant.

Jihoo had been observing his admin; it appeared she was only physically in their presence she spoke only when spoken to and even then her voice and eyes were distant.  He saw her pushing the food with her fork more than she brought it to , going through the motions of eating.  She was definitely different than she had been two weeks ago. Suddenly, Ilana's phone rang and a worried look crossed her face.

 - "I apologize but I need to take this;" it was KyuJong. She grabbed her gloves and stepped outside.

 - "Yeobosayo, Oppa."

 - "Ilana-ssi has a cold now?" KyuJong was worried. "Do you have something to tell me yet?"

 - "Yes and no."

 - "Yes you have a cold and no you don't have anything to tell me?"

 - "It's...a mild cold only, just a scratchy throat.  And I spoke to Dr. Jaejoong; he won't be taking new patients until the New Year. I sent an email to his office assistant just before I left for lunch. I asked her to schedule me in for his first available appointment." Her heart was going to beat right out of her chest. She just hadn't been able to make the call, the email was much easier.

 - "That's more than four weeks away; ara there has to be another doctor on staff."

 - "Oppa, I don't want this to be a big deal. Dr. Jihoo and Jaejoong share an office; this is the only way to keep it from at least Dr. Jihoo. When it comes to his work, Dr. Jaejoong has a great reputation. I can wait for a few weeks, trust me?" Tears began to fall, she could stay strong for a few weeks, and she just needed her Oppa's on her side. "Oppa, juseyo? Don't be angry at me?"

 - "Ilana-ya, if something happens to you in the next month, everyone will find out anyway. Why take that risk?"

 - "I have to try and get out of this with the least amount of people knowing. After the first, I'll submit fully to any tests Dr. Jaejoong wants, arraseo?  Can’t I have a few more weeks to prepare myself for whatever that might involve?"

KyuJong sighed, there was nothing that could be done on his end but encourage her.  "I'll be praying; keep me posted. If you have a fever, feel breathless or faint; you need to go the emergency room, arraso?"

- "Arraseo, Oppa.  Kansamnida." She terminated the call and closed her eyes; she hoped it didn't come to that. It was starting to get cold. It might be another hour before HyoJoo returned her email but she checked anyway, despite the cold.  There was nothing yet, she went back inside the restaurant to fix her face.

The others had begun to worry when Ilana didn't return directly. They had just about finished their meal and had Ilana's, boxed for her.

 - "Should we go then?" Jihoo asked. "We can catch Ilana-ssi on our way out."

 - "I'll take her things," Abigaíl said.

 - "I'll have them bill my card and meet you in front,” Jaejoong said.

Jihoo and Abigaíl met Ilana as she was exiting the bathroom and making her way back to their seat.

 - "Ilana?! What happened? Is everything okay?”  Abigaíl asked, concerned for her friend and co-worker.

 - "Yes, my friend called and we lost track of time. I apologize for my lack of manners,"

Abigail could tell something was off.  “That’s okay, chica,” she gave her co-worker a big smile.  I’m sure you miss them already.”

Jihoo could tell she had been crying.  "No apologies needed," he took her coat from Abigaíl and helped her into it. "Your friends are still in Sydney? It would've been harder to return the call later."

 - "Yes, thank you for understanding," Ilana said.

Come the end of the day, Ilana was exhausted.  HyoJoo had returned her email reassuring her of their strictest confidence and an appointment for the afternoon of January 3rd. She also gave her an appointment for Dr. Amy, in two weeks, should she change her mind. Which she strongly encouraged.

Jihoo did his afternoon rounds as quickly as possible. He wanted to make sure Ilana went home at a decent hour. The only way to do that was taking her home himself.

 - "Why don't you pack up your things. I'll take you home."

Ilana looked at him wide-eyed. It was only about five thirty and she had just started to log out of her programs.  Being distracted all day, made her sluggish in completing her work, which was why she was running late.

 - "I was just logging out; you're under no obligation to see me home."

 - "It's too cold for an agassi from Southern California to walk home."

Ilana half smiled; she really should protest but she hadn't any fight in her at the moment.

 - "Ilana-ssi really didn't eat lunch. Have your lunch for dinner and get some rest,” he instructed, as they left the hospital.


November 23, 2013

Ilana had slept poorly through the night. She hadn't had nightmares in months but she woke a few times in terror at being tied to a hospital bed again. She had to reassure herself she was free from her cousin’s so-called care. Things were different now, she was in control. At least, that’s what how she had felt, before KyuJong’s phone call.  She stayed awake reading until she fell back asleep from exhaustion.

Sleeping until noon, she lazily made her way to the kitchen for a cup of citron tea. She had no appetite but was making sure to keep her liquids up. She had eaten dinner, only because she thought for sure Dr. Jihoo would ask her Monday morning. She dozed on and off during the day, too tired to fight it. The cold symptoms were mild, except for fatigue, but she thought that might be more stress related.

Towards the late afternoon, Jihoo was satisfied with his work for the day. Now, on to his second job as his admin's self-proclaimed caretaker. He drove into Koreatown for Gomtang (oxtail soup) and more citron tea. He wondered what had happened in the last week. She was visibly thinner, she had been crying, and she was withdrawn. Problems with her boyfriend perhaps? Jaejoong had told him about the necklace but he didn't think that was it. There was something more bothering her.

Jihoo knocked on Ilana's door. She had been dozing off again. As soon as her brain confirmed that her ears were indeed hearing the doorbell, she got up from her little nest of blanket and pillow on the couch and went to the door. It was Dr. Jihoo. She had a sneaking suspicion it was him. Who else knew where she lived? She panicked. She was still in pajamas and her face would betray her lack of sleep.

 - "Just a minute!" She yelled and ran to wash her face, no time for makeup, and changed into leggings and a sweater.

She finally let him in with apologies for having kept him waiting.

 - "Gwenchana, were you napping?"

 - "I had been dozing off but that's fine." Truthfully she welcomed the distraction.

 - I'm sure you haven't eaten." Her gaze wasn't meeting his, what was she hiding? "I brought you Gomtang; it will give you the energy boost to fight this cold. Are you at least drinking enough liquids?" He was already walking towards the kitchen. She had no choice but to follow.

 - "I've been drinking water and tea all day."

He verified she told the truth when he spotted the citron tea jar sitting out on the counter.  "Chuah, are you running a fever?" Before she could react, he was feeling her forehead. His hand was cool but not unpleasant.

 - "Y-you didn't have to do that," she said, feeling her heart ready to jump out of her chest in nervousness. "I know I'm not, it’s just an annoying cold and I did check my temperature not that long ago."

Satisfied that she wasn’t feverish, he gestured to the table.  "Sit and eat."  He had brought her a spoon and bowl from her kitchen and was already pouring from the container into the bowl.

The soup was a clear and thick consistency. She was never afraid of trying new foods; she just tried to ignore the fact that it looked odd. Although void of color, the soup was rich and surprisingly flavorful. She continued to eat with a hunger she didn't realize she had. "It's very good, I suppose between you and my friends I'll be trying a variety Korean foods." The soup was doing its job and she felt slightly revived.

Jihoo was happy that she was eating. With only a few spoonful’s, she'd lost some of the exhausted look she had when he first came in.  "I'm glad Ilana-ssi has been resting today. The first few months working at a hospital are hard on most people; Ilana-ssi is not alone."  Ilana thought it sweet of him to try and reassure her that this was perfectly normal. Even if she knew it wasn't. He threatened to spoon feed her if she didn't have seconds. She managed to negotiate another half serving and ate slowly while he kept her company.  "Lay back on the couch and I'll bring over a cup of tea," he said when she was done. Having learned by now, it was no use arguing; she complied somewhat willingly. He cleaned her kitchen and brought the tea to her. He let his eyes wander the apartment, it was well furnished. A bookshelf housed pictures as well as books and assorted media.  In a few pictures, he recognized her two friends he had met and one picture caught his attention.  She looked particularly pretty, dressed in a beautiful smile and lacy knee-length black dress, next to a man in a tuxedo. "The picture of Ilana-ssi in the black dress is very nice, where was it taken?"

 - "That's my brother and me, just before I started working at the hospital."  She hoped he didn’t recognize Kike; she’d have to move the picture to her bedroom, later.

 - "And the one on the end, there, is in Macau.  I recognize the carnival masks. Did you go with your Oppa?”

 - "No, just my friends."

Jihoo asked her several more questions. And she began to ask her own.

 - "Why were you on an airplane when you text me?"

 - "I have some business I need to take care of every month. I was on my way back." The only ones who knew, what business, were Jaejoong and the director.

- "How long have you worked at the hospital?"

- "Five years." She continued to drill him about his career and school life. He answered her questions as honestly as possible, only omitting that which pertained to the F4 and his financial status.

Jihoo had answered her last question and was now boiling more water for her tea.  He figured it was his turn to ask a question. "How long did you work at your last job?" When he didn't get a response, he walked out of the kitchen to see if there was anything wrong.  "Ilana-ssi?" She had fallen asleep. "And JanDi thought I was bad,” smiling, he tucked the blanket around her.  He thought she was breathing harder than she should but attributed it to her cold. After assuring himself she wasn’t running a fever, he left.  He'd check back with her tomorrow

Ilana slept soundly without nightmares and didn't wake until the next morning.


November 28, 2013

Ilana had to summon up the courage to ask Dr. Jihoo for a ride to the station.  More and more people had been arriving each day to the city. They were here visiting family or just simply vacationing over the Thanksgiving holiday. Many streets were closed for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and its security.  The crowds had put Ilana on edge more than she already was. More than once had she readily accepted Dr. Jihoo's ride home that week.

- "I made this for you to take to Dr. Jaejoong's house." She had made two recipes of Puerto Rican flan. One as a thank you, to Dr. Jihoo and one for Abigail’s house. She set them prettily on two crystal platters she purchased as part of the gift.

 - "Gomawo, I'm sure his family will appreciate it." He was spending the day with Jaejoong and his parents. They were pleasant people, caring, generous, and unaffected by their wealth.

 

Jihoo picked her up much earlier than her departure time; he knew there would be a lot of traffic. "I'll park and walk you in." They had arrived at the station and there were two or three times the usual amount of people. He could tell it made her nervous.

- "I can't let you pay for parking when my train arrives in twenty minutes."

- "Gwenchana, It's too crowded and you don't look like you're native to New York." It was true, she really only ventured to and from work.

He valeted the car and walked her into the station. He waited with her until her train was approaching. "Give me a call when you're on your way," Jihoo said.

- "I will, thanks!" Ilana approached him as if she was going to hug him, stunning him momentarily. But instead, she stuffed money in his pocket and ran off laughing.

- "Chincha? This girl," he smiled anyway, he couldn't help it. When she truly smiled it was contagious. Her laughter, for it was rare, made him want to stop time so that whatever was bringing her happiness at that moment would not go away.

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictures/thumbs_4/ps.59/8/7/a/f/picture-uh=088de7484e982a9a55b65b8583623e-ps=87af90a537fb7c9e238461c31f56338.jpg

Abigail's family gathered around the food, which was more than plentiful. Everyone held hands and had to say what they had been most grateful for that year.

 - "Mi hija (My daughter),” Abigaíl replied.

 - "Mama Nane," Isabel chose her Grandmother.

 - "Amigos (Friends)," Ilana said with teary eyes when it was her turn.

 - "Mis hermanas (my sisters)," Luciana said.

When everyone had finished sharing, Abigail's Dad offered praises to God for all the blessings that had been named. Ilana listened quietly; she still had a bitter grudge against God for taking her parents and leaving her alone. The least he could've done was to take her too. She couldn't stop the tears from falling. Abigail's Dad finished his prayer and Ilana excused herself to the restroom, where she could try and fix her make up.

 - "Are you alright? Are you feeling homesick?" Abigail asked when she returned to the dining area. She noticed Ilana's suspiciously moist eyes. "I made you a plate."

 - "Thank you, I must be just a bit.  Yes, your Dad's words made me a little misty."

 - "You know you can think of us as your family away from home." This made Ilana want to cry again but managed to keep her emotions in check. "Did you talk to your family today?"

 - "N-no, I didn't think to." Of course, her cousin, Juan Carlos, would be there.  She didn't want to take the chance of him picking up the phone or trying to talk to her.

 - "You should, it will make you feel better"

 - "I suppose," Ilana ate about half her plate and that much was forced. Abigail had piled it about five inches tall with enough food for about ten meals.  She still didn't have that much of an appetite and the giant plate of turkey, ham, potatoes, yams, green beans, brussel sprouts, stuffing, rice, and salad was like climbing Mount Everest.  Never-ending.

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictures/thumbs_3/ps.60/3/5/5/6/picture-uh=aa6d7bafa4d32224bccf64ba98f952b-ps=35561b7559aa2b128e17a36d4bfe9b38-143-E-63rd-St-New-York-NY-10065.jpg

Jihoo enjoyed a pleasant meal with Jaejoong's parents. Jaejoong's Mother, Mrs. Oh, had outdone herself. Ilana's flan was also well received.

 - "Jihoo-ah this is delicious, you must get the recipe for me."

 - "Deh Eomonni, I'll ask her tomorrow," Jihoo answered.

 - "Jihoo-ah, how is nae adul behaving himself, lately?" Jaejoong's Mother did not approve of his philandering ways.

 - "Deh Eomonni, he has actually been behaving lately. His admin keeps him on a straight path. The yeoja does not mince her words if he does something she disapproves of." Abigaíl let him have it at least several times a week.

 - "Jaejoong-ah, is this the yeoja we are meeting, Sunday?"

 - "Deh Umma; wait until you meet her family and her little girl."

Mrs. Oh seemed a little disappointed at this news.  "Adul, what does her husband do?"

Jihoo knew where this was headed and tried to keep a straight face.

- "Anieyo, Umma, I think she's divorced," her son answered.

Mrs. Oh was quiet for a minute.  "Jihoo-yah, what do you know about her? You are much more observant than nae adul." Jihoo smiled.

 - "Umma," Jaejoong's Father, Mr. Kim, interrupted. "Leave the boys alone."

 - "Gwenchana, Abeoji. Harabeoji is just as bad. It's a relief not to be the one being interrogated for a change.

 - "I know Umma when she's done with me, it will be your turn." Jaejoong said.

 - "Deh but I'm not done with you, yet."

 - "Umma!" Jaejoong complained.

 - "She's a sweet family girl, Eomonni. She's also SungRyung Noona's right hand," Jihoo helped things along.

 - "That's the type of girl Na want adul to spend time with, not those other kinds of yeoja you frequent." Mrs. Oh's face puckered as if biting into a lemon when she spoke of Jaejoong's usual dates.

 - "Jaejoong-ah, we just worry about you. You're a successful and brilliant doctor, having made a name for yourself at such a young age. You're not a college frat boy, think about your image." Mr. Kim said, trying to get his point across

 - "Deh, Abeoji," Jaejoong took his scolding gracefully. He'd rather have his parents here, scolding him, than not at all.

 - "Jihoo-ah, is there a special yeoja in your life?" Mr. Kim asked.

 - "Oh, a-ani, I'm too busy with the hospital and the foundation to have a love life." Jihoo knew that question was coming and was prepared with his answer. Although, this time he felt flustered as if he wished his answer was the opposite.

 - "Jihoo-ah, don't work so hard," Mrs. Oh admonished him. "Harabeoji wants grandchildren." Mrs. Oh then turned to his son, "and we do too."

 - "Umma!" Jaejoong had turned a nice shade of pink. Jihoo just continued to fix his gaze straight ahead. After all, this was nothing new. His Grandfather told him that repeatedly over the phone, by email or in person.

 

- "Gracias (Thank you), Señora Paula," Abigail's Mom had noticed Ilana coughing and brought her a hot tea with honey.

- "Tienes que cuidarte, niña (You need to take care of yourself child), se te acabo la cara (your face has wasted away). Te nos vas a enfermar, de deberás (You're really going to get sick on us)."

- "Casi no come, Ma (She barely eats, Mom), como un pajarito (just like a little bird)." Ilana glared at her well-meaning co-worker. "You know I like to tease you," Abigaíl was playful by nature, outside of her work.

- "I know," she gave a half smile. It wasn't too late but Ilana was tired and ready to go home. Kike hadn't called her yet, which was also disappointing. "Al ratito me voy (I'll be leaving in a little), quiero descansar para mañana (I want to rest for tomorrow)."

- "Just spend the night."

- "That's sweet of you to ask but I'm expecting my Brother, remember?"

- "That's right, when’s the next train."

- "In about a half hour."

Jihoo was waiting for Ilana on the platform when she detrained at Penn Station.

 - "What's in the bag?" He took it from her, to carry it himself.

 - "It's leftovers for the two of us, I can carry it."

 - "Anieyo, gwenchanayo,” he said in his usual monotone.  “Is Ilana-ssi sure it's just for the two of us and not an entire family?" It was a large shopping bag filled to the top with food.

 - "You know Abigail's Mom doesn't do things on a small scale."

Jihoo nodded.  He had paid the valet, extra, to keep the car running and Ilana gratefully got into the blissfully warm car. She didn't know how it got warm so quickly but didn't care.

 - "You had a nice time today?"

 - "U-huh," she yawned.

 - "Go ahead and close your eyes, it'll be a few minutes before we reach home," he smiled at her.  She was wearing makeup but she couldn't change the fact that her eyes looked tired.

 - "No, that's o-kay," she stifled a cough in her elbow. "Just talk to me, to keep me awake."

 - "Oh, since that worked well on Saturday." Ilana was embarrassed as he pointed out that she'd fallen asleep during his visit. "How are you feeling? You picked up a cough?"

 - "My cold is almost gone but I think my throat is just a little irritated. How was Dr. Jaejoong's house?"

 - "Quiet but nice." They continued to talk about their day until they arrived at the apartment.

 - "Why is the garage always so cold!" Ilana practically ran to the elevator. Jihoo laughed as he quickly followed her. In the elevator, she bounced up and down to warm up.

 - "Would Ilana-ssi...like to come over for tea?" Jihoo threw the suggestion out, arriving on their floor. Ilana was tempted; these days, more than ever, she hated being alone. On the other hand, she was cold and tired and wanted to go to bed.

 - "That's kind of you to ask, but I’d like to rest for tomorrow. C-can I take a rain check?" She was embarrassed but wouldn't mind hanging out another day when she was less tired.

 - "Arraso, get a good night's sleep. I'll give you a ride in the morning."

 - "If you insist," she tried to sound disinterested.  The mornings were cold and Dr. Jihoo’s car was always nice and warm. "Don't forget your food," Ilana handed him his half of the shopping bag.

 - "Jaljayo," he bowed to her.

Ilana walked into her apartment only to sense something wrong.  That was before her eyes found the smiling face of her Brother.

 - "Kike!" She stepped into his hug with tears in her eyes. She allowed herself to indulge in a good cry. The self-imposed stress was catching up to her. She just wanted someone to hold her and tell her everything would be alright. That it was a mistake, she didn't have a potentially fatal anemia, and she didn't have to see a Doctor. Unfortunately, for Kike, at the moment he was the only one with whom she could that.

 - "Manita," Kike was shocked; this wasn't the confident young woman he had left. "Qué Te pasa (What's wrong)?" She continued to cry while he awkwardly tried to soothe her. He didn't know what was going on but he’d get to the bottom of it before he left.


Not the cliffhanger I was going for, but it will have to do.