Saengie's Birthday Celebration

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

November 3, 2017

Ilana woke in her bed, not actually remembering getting into bed last night.  She must have been extremely tired.  The spot next to her was empty and the shower was running; Suzy must have woken up already.  Needing to be on their way by eleven, there would be no time for breakfast; it was past nine.   Sitting up, Ilana realized she was still in yesterday’s clothes; she had never changed into her sleep clothes.  "Huh?  I never sleep in my clothes,” Ilana wondered out loud.  A knock on the door interrupted her wondering.

 - "Ilana-ssi," KyuJong called through the door.  "Are you awake?"

Ilana got out of bed to crack the door open.  "Morning, Oppa."

 - "It's getting late and Saengie Hyeong beat us to the shower.  Is there a shower in the gym?"

 - "Deh Oppa, the code is 1883; it's down the hall past the stairs.  Did you grab a towel?"  She had piled clean towels in their room the night of their arrival.

 - "Deh, komapta, Maknae and I will be downstairs if you need us."

 - " Ilana smiled, remembering yesterday's experience.Arraseo Oppa; is Min awake or do Suzy and I need to wake him,"

 - "We left some carrots near his face and took his eye mask and earplugs off, if he's not awake by the time we're back, Maknae and I will deal with him."

Jihoo woke somewhat early to head to the hospital, wanting to check on a few patients and do some work in his office.  Having had the urge to play his violin, it was late by the time he went to bed.  The outdoors was his preferred venue, when he stepped out onto his patio he had seen a fire going on what, he was certain, was Ilana's patio.  He also heard the sounds of celebrating; he definitely heard demands for kisses and smiled.  He'd have to congratulate his shy admin, truly happy for her.  One last look at his appearance, he walked out his door.

KyuJong and HyungJun stepped out of Ilana's door at the same time Jihoo stepped out of his.  "Anneyeong hasseyo," they greeted and continued to stare at him.  When they finally snapped out of it, they quickly inclined their head to him.

Jihoo also inclined his head but remained quiet for a moment.  He had never actually been a curious person, but at the moment, he really wanted to know who those men were.  When they were all in the elevator he finally spoke.

 - "Shillehagessumnida, are you Ilana-ssi's roommates?"

 - "Anieyo," KyuJong answered, "chingu visiting from out of town."

 - "You know nae Princess?"  HyungJun asked.

 - "Princess?  You mean Ilana-ssi?  Yeh, I work with her."

 - "Do you run into each other often?"  KyuJong asked, curious.

 - "Enough, we work on the same floor,” Jihoo wondered where this line of questioning was going.  "Waeyo?"

 - "Jwosongmnida,” KyuJong laughed at himself.  "I'm not a jealous namja chingu.  Na was just wondering if perhaps you might have a friendship with her."

 - "Anieyo, just a work relationship."  Jihoo thought the men looked disappointed at this news.  He didn't want to bring up the driver business, in case he really was a jealous boyfriend.   He didn't want Ilana to have problems because of him.

  - "Oh, I was just wondering because she's a long way from home and alone in this big city.  I thought maybe you could keep an eye on her and make sure she's okay.  Then we wouldn't have to worry as much when we are apart."

 - "Mmm.  We're all family at the hospital and we look out for each other as it is.  I knew she was away from home.   Don't worry; I'm here for her as a neighbor and coworker."

 - "Kansamnida," KyuJong bowed.  They had already reached the bottom.  "It's not that she can't take care of herself, it's just she's a little stubborn and doesn't ask for help."  Jihoo chuckled at this piece of information.

 - "Something tells me Ajussi knew this already," HyungJun whispered to KyuJong.  "Well, we're off to the gym to shower; it's a little crowded at Ilana's place right now.  Kansamnida Hyeongnim."

 - "Maknae!  I'm sure he didn't need to know that," KyuJong scolded his dongsaeng when they walked away.  "By the way that has to be the doctor she told us about, that looks like Sunbae."

 - "Deh, I couldn't stop staring."  They both laughed as they walked into the gym.

Jihoo was left wondering again, as he walked, about Ilana's roommates.  Why was her boyfriend asking him to watch over her and not them?  "You said you would, why they asked is not your problem," he told himself.

Ilana and friends actually made it out of the apartment in time to catch the bus to the train station and made their train on time.  Despite the shortage of bathrooms everyone, including JungMin, managed to get clean and ready.  No one had time for breakfast that morning and were all starving.

 - "What's in the bag?"  YoungSaeng asked, seeing the Sephora bag in her hands. 

 - "Just something I picked up for Abigaíl, wae?"

 - "Anieyo?  Just curious."

 - "Curiosity killed the cat."

 - "And satisfaction brought it back," HyungJun came beside Ilana and snatched the bag out of her hand.

 - "Yah!"  Ilana chased him until they got to the restaurant door.  While everyone else was still walking, Ilana stopped to catch her breath from the short sprint.

 - "Mianhae, Princess, gwenchana?"  Ilana nodded her head, still unable to catch her breath.   He returned the bag to her and whispered in her ear.  "Is this for Hyeong?"

 - "Deh," Ilana responded.

 - "Maknae!"  KyuJong scolded.  "Why did you make her chase after you like that?"

 - "Gwenchana?YoungSaeng asked.

 - "Deh, Oppa, come on," Ilana grabbed him by the arm and pulled him into the restaurant.

 - "Hi, chica!"  They were greeted by Abigaíl who immediately hugged Ilana.  "I picked up the cake," she whispered.   Ilana smiled, glad that Abigaíl hadn’t minded picking up the cake for her.

 - "Anneyeong hasseyo," everyone greeted Abigaíl.

 - "Abigaíl, you met the birthday boy, YoungSaeng and this is KyuJong and HyungJun and my dear friend Suzy and her fiancé JungMin."

 - "Nice to meet everyone, your table is just over here in the corner.  We’re just about to sit down for our own brunch."

 - "Tía Ilana!"  Isabel had escaped the confines of one of her aunts and came to say hello.  Ilana immediately knelt down and hugged the sweet child.

 - "Hola, preciosa (precious), cuando vas a pasar un día conmigo (when are you going to spend a day with me)?"  Isabel looked up at her Mom and giggled.

 - "You just want to spoil her rotten."

Ilana laughed at the very true accusation.

 - "Who wouldn't," HyungJun bent down, giving Isabel his boyish grin.  "I'm Jun, will you be my friend?"  Isabel shyly shook her head yes.

 - "Isabel, this is my friend Saengie, it's his birthday.  Will you give him a hug?Isabel hung back giggling shyly.

hys+fansign+hd7+edit.jpg

YoungSaeng bent down to her and pouted.  Isabel, my friends don't love me, no one gave me a birthday hug."  Isabel couldn't resist the pouty otter and gave him his hug, making everyone 'awe' at the cuteness.  All except for Abigaíl who rolled her eyes at her attention-hogging daughter.

 - "Anda y vete a sentar (Go on and go sit down)," Abigaíl told her daughter.

 - "Abigaíl-ssi, she can sit with us," HyungJun asked. Isabel immediately got excited but was denied by Mom.

 - "She won't eat her lunch and she'll talk your ear off, please sit down and someone will take your drink orders."

 - "Isabel would be no different than our Maknae, here," JungMin teased.  HyungJun stuck his tongue out.

 - "You two cut it out and sit down or I won't be able to come back here again," Ilana took HyungJun by the shoulders and sat him in the seat next to her and Suzy did the same with JungMin, sitting with him at the opposite end of the table.  Abigaíl walked away laughing.   Ilana had ordered a few small dishes ahead of time and let her friends choose a variety of entrees.

Soon, they had more food than a normal group of six could possibly eat.  Ilana's friends were an exception and she knew they would have no problem devouring all the food.  They had been fortunate to visit the restaurant on that day; the first Sunday of every month they had a five-piece Mariachi group roving the restaurant.  While everyone enjoyed the music and the food, Ilana decided to be mischievous and request the song 'Bésame Mucho' for JungMin and Suzy.  After, this led the entire restaurant to chant ‘beso (kiss), beso, beso,’ much to JungMin’s delight and Suzy’s embarrassment.  Thankfully HyungJun was capturing every embarrassing moment with his camera.  Next, it was YoungSaeng's turn; the entire restaurant sang the traditional Mexican birthday song, ‘Las Mañanitas .  The waiter brought out the lemon mousse cake, and they sang Happy Birthday in English, Korean, and Japanese, with a special encore in Mandarin by JungMin and Suzy.  The restaurant patrons were entertained by the multilingual group of friends.

 - "What about Ilana?"  Abigaíl asked.  "She speaks a bunch of languages."

 - "I don't sing, chica," Ilana immediately shot down the idea.  Her friends began to chant her name, but she didn't budge.

 - "Gwenchana, Cinderella, when you feel like you can sing, I'll be waiting."

 - "Gomawo, Oppa, make a wish."  They took a group picture with the cake.  Ilana cut a piece for her favorite Oppa and while handing it to him asked HyungJun to take a picture.

Meanwhile, Abigaíl and her sisters began to chant 'Mor-di-da, mor-di-da'.  (Literally, means bite, but they're asking for the birthday person’s face in the cake).  YoungSaeng had no clue what was about to happen.

 - "Arraso Princess.  Hana...Dol...Set! Ilana picked up the slice of cake and JungMin pushed YoungSaeng's face in the slice.

 - "Ah!!!"  The birthday boy shouted and jumped his chair back in surprise.  The gang couldn't help but laugh.

 - "Mianhae, Oppa," Ilana giggled before giving him a peck on the cheek as a consolation.  YoungSaeng glared at his still giggling dongsaeng.  The other offending party went to hide next to his fiancé after sharing a high five with Ilana.  YoungSaeng wiped his face with a napkin and then took the napkin and smeared its contents on Ilana's face.

 - "Oppa!!!  Oh, you're dead."  Ilana used a fresh napkin to clean her face.  "You're not getting your birthday present now.  I'm giving it to HyungJun Oppa," she held up the Sephora bag for HyungJun to take.

 - "Truce!  Truce!"  YoungSaeng took the bag from Ilana.  He dove into his gift like a kid, paper flying everywhere.  "L’eau Par Kenzo!"  It was his favorite cologne in the form of a body wash.

 - "The atomizer is filled with the cologne and you can keep it on your keychain or in your pocket."

 - "Gomawo," he grinned like a kid and kissed her cheek.

Food gone, cake gone, the gang just hung out finishing their beers and discussing the next part of the agenda.  Ilana requested one last song for her friends, 'La Parranda' and excused herself to use the bathroom, but was really going to pay the check before they fought her on it.

 - "Thank you, Abigaíl, for everything.  I don't think my friends liked the food, sorry."  Abigaíl laughed at Ilana's teasing.  In fact, her friends had cleaned their plates.  The two girls walked back to Abigail's table.  Ilana said goodbye and thank you to Abigail's family.  "I'll see you Wednesday," she waved to her co-worker.

 - "Does the Sunset harbor cruise sound good?"  JungMin asked Ilana upon her return

 - "Guerae, whatever Oppa wants, it's his birthday."

 - "Whatever I want?"  YoungSaeng rubbed his hands together in delight.

 - "Let me rephrase that.  Anything that doesn't include helicopters, airplanes or anything else that will require me to lose all contact with the ground," this announcement was greeted with laughter.  "Are we ready gueron? Everyone agreed.  "Where are we going and I'll look up a route?"

 - "Got it already,” JungMin said.  "Let's get the check and go."

Ilana moved slightly away from the table afraid of what might happen next.  "It's already taken care of, kajayo."

 - "Mworago?  Yah, that's not fair!"  Everyone began to complain at once.

 - "Abigaíl-ssi," JungMin called.  "Please divide the check into equal parts, and re-credit our friend." Ilana was shaking her head at Abigail.

 - "I'm sorry, it's too late."

 - "Quit complaining, kaja and lead the way, Min," Ilana put an end to the protesting.

 - "Gomawo, Cinderella," YoungSaeng slung his arm across her shoulders as they walked.

 - "Anieyo kwenchanayo, Oppa."

Jihoo was still in his office when his cell phone rang.

 - "Yeobosayo?" He answered.

 - "Jihoo-ah, let's grab lunch," Jaejoong's voice said.  It was in fact about two and he was starting to get hungry.  Knowing he wouldn't have his admin for a few days, he decided to review the new patient files ahead of time, so neither he nor Ilana would be affected by her two-day absence.  He had gotten so accustomed to her efficiency; he forgot how much she actually did for him.

 - "I'm at the office and need to go back for the car, where should I meet you?Jihoo decided the rest could wait.

 - "I'm nearby; I’ll pick you up in front.”

 - "Arraso," Jihoo terminated the call and proceeded downstairs to the main entrance.

A few minutes later a yellow BMW Z4 drove up to the hospital entrance

 - "So, where are you dragging me this time.  What cute hostess or waitress do you need to impress?"  Jihoo asked, knowing his friend.

 - "Yah, Jihoo-ah, can't I just hang out with my friend without needing anything from you?"  Jihoo just looked at him with his eyebrow raised.  "Ara, I've done that a few times," Jihoo chose not to comment.  "Actually, Umma called and they will be here for the American Thanksgiving; so I'm ecstatic and want to do something different.  Humor me, juseyo?"

It seemed that's all Jihoo did at times, was humor his friends, shareholders, and even the director.   Although, he knew his friend missed his parents when they were gone, counting the months until their return.  He ran his hand through his hair, accepting the fact that he was about to concede to the whims of one of his friends, yet again.  "Arraso, where are we going?"

 - "I'm in the mood for Mexican food."

 - "Arraso."  Jihoo just sat quietly in the passenger seat, wondering why he was letting himself be driven to New Jersey.  He resigned himself to his fate and welcomed the distraction.

Twenty minutes later they arrived at Abigail's family restaurant.

 - "Isn't this Abi-ssi’s neighborhood?" Jihoo asked.

 - "Deh, this is the only Mexican restaurant I know," Jaejoong quickly got out of the car and walked into the restaurant before Jihoo changed his mind.

On a normal Sunday, Abigaíl and her family would have been home by now but when the Mariachi played, they liked to stay until the last hour.  Not to mention, the restaurant was twice as busy.  Abigail’s parents liked to make sure everything was running smoothly before leaving.  Since the usual hostess was needed to help serve, Abigaíl and Isabel were playing hostess when the two doctors walked in.

 - "Dr. Prince!!  Uncle Jihoo!"  Isabel spotted them first and took off running.  She was immediately swooped up into Dr. Prince's arms who just so happened to have an American Girl bag with him.

 - "Jagiya!  You get more beautiful each day, just like your Umma."  Abigaíl tried avoiding his teasing eyes.  "I found this; do you know anyone who might want it?"

 - "Pajamas for Isabelle!  Yay!  Gracias, Dr. Prince."

 - "Hello Isabel, how are you today?"  Dr. Jihoo bowed to her and she mimicked him back.  Isabel ran to give Isabelle her pajamas and ran back.

 - "Tía Ilana came to visit today too.  She let me talk to her friends."  She said excitedly and looking at her Mom to further the story.  Jihoo was unexpectedly intrigued by this information.

 - "You two just missed them by fifteen minutes," Abigaíl said, finally recovering from the shock of having the two doctors in her restaurant.

 - "Did she show you a ring?  Introduce her boyfriend?"

 - "Deberás que son entrometidos, no (they really are nosey aren't they)?"  Luciana whispered to her sister.  Abigaíl shook her head at her sister to be quiet.

 - "Come, have a seat," Abigaíl escorted them to a seat and ignored Jaejoong's question.  "What would you like to drink?"

 - "Abi-ya, you're not answering my question."

 - "Luciana-ssi, I hope you're taking note that it's Jaejoong asking the questions and not me," Jihoo let Abigail's sister know that he understood her, to which the girl just laughed unconcerned.

 - "She introduced me to her friends, that's all," Abigaíl said.  "They're Korean too."

 - "Jun said I could be his friend too and it was Saengie's birthday," Isabel had settled herself on the seat next to Dr. Jaejoong.

 - "Niña!" Abigaíl scolded, but Isabel ignored her.

 - "Sit with us for a little while," Jaejoong said Abigail conceded defeat, her daughter wasn't about to budge.

 - "At least let me get your drinks and orders in first,"  Abigaíl took care of business and returned to sit with her IPad in hand.

 - "Her friends are really nice and you can tell they're all really close.  They were celebrating a birthday and a recent engagement."  This caught Jihoo's attention.

 - "Suzy is pretty; she said maybe I can be her flower girl and Saengie likes Tía Ilana."

- "Isabel, what are you talking about?"  Abigaíl asked her daughter.

- "Mama," Isabel said in an 'I can't believe you don't know this' tone.  "She kissed him on the cheek and he did too.  I asked him if Tía was his girlfriend.  He said no but that he would like that.  Saengie said she's his Cinderella and he's a 'shy prince'.  Oops!"  She put her hand over .  "It's a secret."  Isabel looked upset at having betrayed her friend.

 - "I'm sure he meant for you not to tell your Tía.  Don't worry we won't tell," Jihoo reassured the child.

 - "I told you she was getting confessed to!"  Jaejoong looked at Jihoo in triumph. Jihoo just rolled his eyes.  This meant last night's celebration was for the other couple, he didn't know why but he felt relieved.

 -"I took some pictures," she opened her IPad and began to show the pictures, while Isabel took up the running commentary.

 - "That's Saengie, Jun, Min, Suzy, and Jong."  Abigaíl wondered when her child had escaped long enough to obtain this information.

 - "You know she was completely different than she usually is."

 - "How was she different?"  Jihoo was curious again.

 - "She was talkative and laughing.   Her friends liked to tease and she teased them back."  She pulled up the picture she took after they smashed the cake in YoungSaeng's face.  "This was after Ilana and one of the guys smashed the cake in the birthday boy's face.  She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek."

 - "Mama, now show the one when he kissed her."  Abigaíl found the picture Isabel wanted.

 - "Awe, she's blushing," Jaejoong pointed out.  "They make a cute couple, don't you think, Jihoo?"

 - "Mmm," Jihoo said.

 - "I don't think Jihoo wants to lose his admin so soon," Jaejoong teased.  "Yah, Abi-ya, don't you get married and leave me."  Abigaíl rolled her eyes at him.

 - "Dr. Prince," Isabel tapped Jaejoong’s arm until she had his attention.  She sat on her knees and whispered in his ear.  "If you marry Mama, she can still work for you."  Isabel giggled at her practical solution.

 - "Umma doesn't like me like that," he pouted.  "If I wait until you grow up, then I can marry you.  What do you think?"

 - "Dr. Jaejoong will you stop humoring her?"  Abigaíl scolded.

 - "We're having a serious discussion aren't we Isabel?"  Isabel nodded.

 - "Have you and Ilana-ssi developed a friendship, Abi-ya?"

 - "I like Tía Ilana, she plays with me."

 - "Niña, is your name Abi-ya?"  Isabel giggled.  "She's nice, but she's shy and really reserved.  It was nice to see her out of her shell today.  I like her and I think she gets homesick, so bonding with my family has been a blessing for her."

 - "So, what did she and her friends have planned in the next few days?"  Jaejoong asked.

 - "I think they were taking the sunset harbor cruise."

 - "Yup, she's getting confessed to."

The harbor cruise didn't sail until seven and they couldn't board until six, but they enjoyed looking in the various shops and taking pictures.  The gang had a minor argument when Ilana learned they had bought a city attractions pass, including hers, before the trip.

 - "Unnie knows we get great discounts."

 - "You didn't let us pay for lunch, I think we're even," JungMin said.

 - "Hajiman Na don't want you to spend your money," Ilana pouted.

 - "And we don't want Cinderella to spend hers."

 - "End of discussion or I'll pick Ilana-ssi up and carry you on board," KyuJong threatened.

 - "Andwaeyo!  Arraseo, Oppa," Ilana waved her hands in surrender.

The cruise itself was delightful; Ilana had never experienced something like that.   The fall sunset was amazing, the way the orange globe lit up the statue of liberty before finally disappearing was magical.  Ilana couldn't be out in the cold, so Suzy stayed with her in the cabin.  It was still as breathtaking as if they'd been outside but they were nice and warm inside and drinking hot chocolate.

 - "So, you have it?"  JungMin asked.

 - "Deh, in my pocket," YoungSaeng grinned.

 - "No turning back."

 - "Anieyo."

After the cruise, they took a cab to the empire state building.  It had been JungMin's idea.  He was leading their small expedition.  If the harbor cruise had been stunning, the view from the eighty-sixth floor was spectacular.  They walked the floor until they lost JungMin and Suzy in some corner.

 - "Oppa, we lost the others," Suzy said.

 - "Don't worry, they won't leave without us.  Besides, Saengie Hyeong has something for Ilana and with all of us in tow, he won't give it to her.  They don't call him 'Shy Prince' for nothing.”

 - "What is it?"

 - "I picked up a necklace he ordered when I picked up your ring."

Suzy giggled.  "I can't believe you made me walk around blindfolded in the middle of New York City's jewelry district."

 - "You're the one that didn't want to go with the others, that's what you get for being nosey.  You would have ruined your own surprise."  Suzy looked at her ring.

 - "Gomawo, Oppa," she give him a quick kiss on the lips, blushing.

The other four friends continued their walk around the observation deck.

 - "Maknae let’s look through the binoculars," KyuJong stopped suddenly.

 - "Guerae!  Jjang!"  HyungJun looked through the high powered binoculars at the lights of the city.

Taking advantage of his dongsaeng’s being entertained elsewhere; YoungSaeng gave his attention to his Cinderella.

 - "Cold?"  He could see her trying to bury her hands as far as they'd go in her jacket pockets.  He was comfortable in just his hoodie, but it got a lot colder back home than it did in New York.  They all had a high tolerance for the cold.

 - "Deh, jogeumyo," she smiled at his concern for her.

 - "Let's go to the hundred and second-floor observatory," that one was completely enclosed and climate controlled.

 - "Arrasseo," Ilana readily agreed.

Surprisingly the enclosed observatory was not very crowded, but it was just past nine on a Sunday night.

 - "Wau Oppa, the view is even more amazing up here."

 - "Not as amazing as you."  He stood behind her and slipped the heart-shaped aquamarine necklace around her neck. 

 - "Oppa, wae?"  She was surprised, to say the least.  "Pabo, it's your birthday."

 - "Mmm and Na can do whatever Na want, remember?"

 - "Hajiman..."

 - "Shh,” he brought his finger to her lips, slightly startling her.  He laughed at seeing her shocked face.  "This is my heart," referring to the stone.  "Keep it next to yours. Remember what Na told you on the ship?  We'll meet back here on my birthday after Na finish my military duty."  Ilana nodded her head.  “Ilana, Naega choah (I like you), Na want to love you and care for you always.  Na want to see that you're happy, Na don't want you ever to feel lonely or frightened or unworthy.  Na want to be by your side."

 - "Oppa," she shook her head.  Her selfish heart was begging her to accept and try to move on but her mind was saying "you know you can't."  She looked down, her hands shook slightly.  He took her face in his hands, which made the carefully held back tears fall.  He tenderly wiped them with his hand.

 - "Does nae Cinderella know how special she is?  Na don't want you to cry anymore.  God has buckets and buckets of your tears in heaven, did you know that?  Na want you to be happy and Na want to make you happy.   Ilana is this small diamond heart on top of the big heart.  My heart for you is so big, Ilana can't carry it, but it's always with you. To me you're like this aquamarine stone, sometimes translucent, sometimes a little cloudy, but still precious and beautiful and worthy just like the diamond.  You're more beautiful for all the trials in your life, just like that stone was tossed and turned inside the rock, but it remains strong and beautiful"  She broke his hold on her, continuing to shake her head.

 - "I can't Oppa, I can't!She wept in her gloved hands.  He held her as she wept, rubbing her back soothingly.  "You deserve better, you deserve someone to complete you, to be your companion, a mother to your children," she said quietly.

 - "Stop saying 'I can't' and start saying 'I can', 'I deserve to be happy, I can complete him, I deserve a companion...children.  “Na saw the way you hugged Isabel as if you never wanted to let go."  He laid his cheek on the top of her head"Mianhae, saranghae, mianhae.  More than anything, Oppa wants you to be happy.  Na can't put off military duty much longer.  I'm thinking, although it's not for sure yet, Na might enlist in July with KyuJong."  Ilana nodded her head in acknowledgment.  "I had to make this last effort for you.  Na just know someone will come along and steal you from me."

 - "Anieyo, Oppa," she shook her head knowing that was never going to happen.

 - "Na just had to try once more.  If I'm lucky and no one takes your heart, I'll be waiting."

 - "Oppa, I don't need a namja chingu or a husband.  I can be happy, I think, without."  She sniffled a little, eyes cast downwards, drew a shaky breath.  "Forgive my selfish heart, but I need nae Oppa, nae chingu.  Can we enjoy this time together and not worry about the future?"

 - "I'll always be Oppa, I'll always be chingu and I'll be waiting."  They sat in silence, leaning against each other emotionally exhausted, still teary but at peace.  She knew he'd always be Oppa and be at her side somehow or other.  He thought just maybe in three years he could get her to accept all of him, not just his heart.

After a while of just sitting together, leaning against each other, Ilana wanted to do something more for her special Oppa.  Something more than lunch or cologne, something that truly came from her heart and would mean so much to him.  She sat up with a smile.  "Oppa, Italian, Portuguese or French?  Quick!"

 - "Mwo?"

 - "Pali, Pali, before I change my mind!"

 - "Ahh!  I can't pick....French."

She began to sing, slowly and timidly: 

Nous te souhaitons un joyeux anniversaire

Nos vœux de bonheur profonds et sincères

Beaucoup d'amour et une santé de fer

Un joyeux anniversaire

Nous te souhaitons un joyeux anniversaire

Pour que t'aies tout bon pour l'année entière

La réussite et la joie que tu espères

Un joyeux anniversaire.

Albeit rusty, her sweet soprano voice came out clear by the end.  When she was done, there were tears in both their eyes, she smiled at her favorite Oppa and he was grinning from ear to ear.

 - "Na told Cinderella she'd sing for me one day, kansamnida."

 - "I never doubted I would, Oppa."


I couldn't find a video that had English lyrics for 'La Parranda' but it’s about going to a big party.  I thought it was a cute song to dedicate to friends.  The visit’s not over yet, what will happen next.  :)