Cornerstones

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins
cor·ner·stone
ˈkôrnərˌstōn/

Noun

 

  1. A stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls.
  1.  

April 11, 2014

Jaejoong picked Abigaíl and Isabel up at their train stop. He had received still pictures as well as the CCTV video footage of Jihoo and Ilana at Incheon. He promised to show Abigaíl but he had carefully selected only two pictures. He had sat in front of his laptop for at least an hour reviewing the video footage and the photos. He zoomed in on the couple while they walked through the airport; he could see that Jihoo was practically supporting Ilana. They made their way slowly through the entrance and to the boarding area for Korean Air. Zooming into her face, he could see she didn't look well at all. Her crisis had happened two days prior and the test results from the day after had all but returned to normal.  So, the question was, why did she look like she was about to collapse at the airport? Yes, Yoon Jihoo owed him an explanation; not only as a Doctor but as a friend. He had given Ilana leave to slowly resume all her previous activities. Walking and jogging he had no problem with as long as she built up her strength slowly. He'd rather she stay away from the gym or wipe down any equipment before she used it; that or wear gloves. He had limited her visits to the Children's hospital once every other week for now and she had complained bitterly over that stipulation.

 - "I only let you pick us up this morning, so you could show me the pictures," Abigaíl said, as she adjusted the portable booster chair for Isabel.

 - "Annyeong hasseyo, Dr. Prince," Isabel shouted happily from the back seat of the car. Her school was only two blocks from the station.

 - "I have what my beautiful anae wants."

Abigaíl gave him a look that said, 'I'm going to cut your tongue out', while Isabel giggled in the back seat.

 - "Dr. Prince, if you and Mama get married, will you still tell her she's beautiful even when she's fifty?"  Isabel thought that was pretty old, it was her Mama Nane's age.

 - "Isabel!" Abigaíl scolded, while Jaejoong laughed heartily.

 - "Greoum, Isabel-ah, greoum! Isabel Umma will be beautiful to me even when she's a hundred."

 - "Dr. Jaejoong! How many times do I have to tell you not to encourage her?!"

 - "I know what is beautiful and what is not.”

 - "Dr. Prince would never fib, Umma."

Jaejoong felt a little bit of pressure. He absolutely adored Isabel but now she was placing him too high on a pedestal. How could he ever live up to that? He would never want to do anything to make Isabel disappointed in him. It was hard enough convincing Abigaíl he's not the guy he used to be. He didn’t even know when he had changed or did he? He never dated while his parents were in town "but you've gone out with Abigaíl many times and Isabel," he mumbled in Korean.

- "Dr. Jaejoong! You're not paying attention! You're going to pass the school!" Abigail’s scolding snapped him out of his self-evaluation. He managed to pull the car over in time to pull into the school parking.

 - "Sorry, I didn't mean to space out, I was just thinking of something."

 - "Can you not think while we're in the car?Abigaíl was upset at his recklessness.

 - "Mama, that's funny, doesn't he have to think to drive?" Abigaíl glared at her amusing child.

Jaejoong stepped out of the car along with Abigaíl. Isabel had already removed her seatbelt, ready for her Mom to open the door. "Arraso jagi, have an awesome day at school. Study hard for Umma and Dr. Prince."

 - "Deh, Dr. Prince." Jaejoong squatted down to Isabel's level and she gave him a hug and kiss before running off, dragging her Mother by the hand.

 - "Saranghaeyo, Dr. Prince. I'll pray you heal lots of sick people today."

 - "Gomawo, Isabel-ah, nado saranghae. Annyeong!" Jaejoong waved as Isabel pulled her Mom with her into the schoolyard. He leaned against the car, waiting for Abigaíl with a huge grin on his face. "I want this kind of life," Jaejoong said out loud, not exactly sure to whom.

Abigail came back a few minutes later, Jaejoong still wore a funny grin on his face as he fantasized dropping Isabel off each morning and he and Abigaíl going to work together.

 - "Dr. Jaejoong, have you been drinking this morning?" Abigail returned to observe his drunk like state of glassy eyes and dorky grin.

 - "Deh, I'm drunk on your beauty."

Abigaíl rolled her eyes as she stepped into the car. "I'm not one of your girlfriends; you don't have to use your cheesy lines on me."

Jaejoong also got back in the car and started the engine. "I don't use lines and I can tell you how beautiful you are every minute of the day." Jaejoong sneaked a peek at Abigaíl and was delighted to see her blushing. "Isabel's Umma, if you smile for me, I'll buy you a coffee."

 - "You do that anyway but I was actually going to ask you to stop, I promised Ilana a tea latte."

 - "No worries, I'll get a tea latte for both her and Jihoo."

Jihoo noticed Ilana's smile as they walked. Jaejoong had given her leave to begin exercising again; they had been walking to work the last three days. He had to admit that he had missed it as much as she had. "Someone's in a good mood this morning."

 - "Mmm, I missed this so much," Ilana playfully grabbed onto Jihoo's arm. "I could've walked by myself if you wanted to drive."

 - "Anieyo, I too missed the walk. Don't get used to it; we've got rain and more cold weather coming next week. Is Ilana-yah warm enough?" He felt her hand on his arm, it was gloved.

 - "Deh, and I don't get as cold as I used to."

 - "That's because your red blood cell count is almost normal, whereas before you were dangerously low. Had we not started treating you in time...?” He stopped, not wanting to lecture her when she was doing so well.

 - "Ara, Jihoo-yah, I didn't mean for it to get out of hand," she let go of his arm and now he was cold. He had been comfortable enough in the long-sleeved shirt he wore.

 - "Mianhae," he smiled at her. "I didn't mean to sound like I was scolding you."

 - "Gwenchana," she dismissed his concern at having offended her. "After the scolding Jihoo gave me in your office, that was nothing."

 - "Choah, na hope Ilana never forgets that scolding."

 - "Dehhh, Ajussi." They both walked into the hospital laughing and continued smiling as they got off the elevator on the sixth floor.

Jihoo walked Ilana to her desk and handed her lunch bag to her. "Ilana-yah is eating lunch with Abigaíl today?"

 - "Deh, Jihoo-yah wants to join us?"

 - "Anieyo."

 - "Juseyo," Ilana protruded her lower lip slightly and tried to give him the puppy dog eyes. She could never hold her aegyo for very long before bursting into laughter.

 - "Ilana should know your aegyo doesn't work on me."

 - "Na don't blame you, how can Korean girls do that with a straight face."

SeungRyung was walking to her office when she caught sight of Jihoo and Ilana. Why had she never noticed Ilana's face when she laughed? There was a soft glow to it and Dr. Jihoo knew it too. "He must not realize he's staring at her with a small smile of his own." She decided to have a little fun. "Ilana, dear, it takes years of practice to perfect your aegyo."

 - "Unnie!" Ilana was embarrassed.

 - "Here, voice alone won't do it. It's all in the attitude, if you think cute, you'll be cute." The rest of her team began to arrive, just in time for the demonstration. "Oh dear, I see I will have an audience. Very well, come into my office." SeungRyung's four staff members and Jihoo & Jaejoong gathered into her office. "Jihoo, be a dear and close the blinds." Jihoo did as he was asked. "Now, Ilana, pay close attention, you too Abigaíl." The two Non-Korean's grinned at each other. "Jihoo-yah," SeungRyung gently cupped her face with her hands, slowly opening and closing her eyes and cutely pressed her lips into a smile. Begopang,” she said in a nasally singsongy voice. Juseyooo,” again with the nasally voice and she balled her fists up to her chin.   "Cupcake?"  With her hands together, she tilted her face and moved them from one side to the other and pointed at the cupcake with her eyes.  Jihoo was notably pink at being the center of this display and quickly handed her the cupcake from her desk if only it would end her demonstration. "Omo-Omo-Omo-Omo!!!”  She lowered her fists to her chest and wiggled her entire body“Gomawooo,” winking at Jihoo, she took the cupcake and replaced it on her deskClearing and standing up straight, she said:  “And that’s how to do aegyo."  Claps, cheers, and whistles from Shi-Yoon and Jaejoong followed.  SeungRyung bowed, dramatically.

 - "Wau! Noona," Jaejoong said. "That's how you got Hyeong to marry you."

 - "I most certainly did not, Dr. Jaejoong."

 - "I can learn from Unnie," Uee laughed. "Ilwoo wouldn't know what to do if I suddenly started using Aegyo."

 - "Ladies, don't go around beguiling the men. Use sparingly, a little aegyo makes a big impact, used too often and it becomes boring and ineffective."

 - “Deh, Unnie,” the girls answered, signifying they had understood the lesson.

 - "Now, shoo, I have work to do."  Everyone began to exit. "Dr. Jihoo," SeungRyung hoped to restore a bit of his dignity by using his title. "A word with you before you leave?"

Ilana looked back, curious, hoping he didn't get in trouble for logging her in over the weekend. She continued back to her desk. "Chica, here's your tea latte, I promised." Abigaíl said.

 - "Thanks! My treat next time, okay?"

 - "Ilana may thank me, for stopping to get them," Jaejoong said.

 - "Kansamnida," she bowed to him, solemnly.

 - "Keep that up and you'll be ready move to Seoul permanently." Ilana remained quiet, thinking of her friends and other things. "Yah! She's not denying it."

 - "Chica!" Abigaíl practically shouted. Shi-Yoon and Uee were only pretending to work but their ears were attentive to the conversation.

 - "Exagerados (exaggerated) - both of you! Dr. Jaejoong, I loved every minute I spent in Seoul but most of that was due to the company I was with. I'd have to say, the place is almost magical. I'm sure it would be different if I actually lived there. But...I picked up roots once, it would take something life-changing for me to do it again."

 - "Sarang?" Jaejoong asked.

 - "Anyoung hee gyeseyo (goodbye when you are staying), Ka, get to work!"

 - "Arraso! Aish! Tell Jihoo I have his tea latte in the office," Jaejoong walked away laughing to himself.

Jaejoong had shown Abigaíl the two pictures of Jihoo and Ilana; even she could see Ilana wasn't herself. She wondered if Ilana had broken up with YoungSaeng. "Chica, everything went as planned while you were over there? Nothing I should worry about?"

Ilana shook her head at Abigaíl. "Why should you worry about my problems?"

 - "Why should you spoil my daughter?"

 - "Why does everyone answer my questions with a question?"

Abigaíl just laughed. "Let's get to work before Unnie scolds us for talking."

 - "Abigaíl, talking? I don't believe it."

 - "Very funny, get to work."

In SeungRyun's office, a similar conversation was happening.

 - "Is there something I can do for Noona?"

 - "No, dear, I hope you weren't too embarrassed by my demonstration."

 - "I'm fine, Noona."

 - "Good. I only wanted to thank you for taking Ilana under your wing, so to speak. She's so much more outgoing than she was and looks so much healthier too. Jaejoong and you are doing a great job. She's so blessed to have a friend like you.

 - "Noona, I'm not doing anything I wouldn't do for anyone else." Jihoo kept his poker face on.

 - "Jihoo-yah...”  Every now and then the Korean in her came out.  “I may be busy in this office but I hear the comments. I hear you smile quite a bit these days and you are often in Ilana's company. "

 - "The others make it sound like it's a crime to smile or enjoy a person's company." He was trying not to get irritated with her; she meant well but was also a self-proclaimed matchmaker.

 - "Not at all! I just wanted to tell you, thank you for befriending her and enjoying her company." SeungRyung could read her dongsaeng well and saw the amusement in his eyes.

 - "I don't believe thank you is necessary."

 - "Jihoo, tell me, did she break up with her boyfriend? She looked a little off when ShiYoon mentioned the young man."

 - "Noona...," Jihoo warned her that he wouldn't disclose any unnecessary information.

 - "Well, if she did, I'm happy she has a friend like you to rely on. I can see you've made a difference in her life. Listen to your heart, Jihoo, you have a sweet spirit and are a blessing to those you come in contact with. Imagine how much more you could do, if you placed all your trust in the Lord and not just your doctoring?"

Jihoo smiled at this woman whose gift of discernment was strong. "Speaking of doctoring, I have patient files to review, if you'll excuse me."

 - "Of course dear, I just wanted to thank you."

Jihoo bowed and walked out the door, still grinning to himself.

Ilana was unconsciously listening for SeungRyung's office door to open. Finally hearing the door open, she waited for Jihoo to pass by her in order to observe if he was upset. Their eyes made contact; he looked amused, despite the appearance of a serious face. "Gwenchana?" Ilana asked silently, brows furrowed in question.

He smiled briefly, "Gwenchana," he answered silently with his eyes and a quick nod of the head. The entire interaction lasted less than thirty seconds and one would have to be looking right at them to realize what was going on.

Abigaíl realized Dr. Jihoo had passed by and Ilana forgot to remind him about the coffee. "Dr. Jihoo!" She called. "Dr. Jaejoong says he has a teal latte for you in the office."

 - "Abi-yah, thank you, I have to go there anyway."

 - "I forgot all about the latte," Ilana said.

 - "I almost did too, lucky I saw him pass by. I guess you were too into your work to see him."

 - "Mmm," Ilana said in a non-committal 'yes'.

Jihoo had just walked into the office.  "Why is the door closed?"

 - "Jihoo-yah, what took you so long? I was reviewing a confidential file." Jaejoong became serious all of a sudden as Jihoo sat down and began to open his laptop. "Dude, we need to talk."

Jihoo wondered why everyone decided they wanted to talk to him today. Soon, he'd be expecting a call from the director. "Wae?"

 - "About this..." Jaejoong placed the picture of him and Ilana in front of his monitor.

Jihoo sighed, "what about it? I told Jaejoong, I didn't want to hear a word from you."

 - "Deh and I kept quiet hajiman that's before I received the pictures. This is two days after Ilana's attack and a day after all her lab tests came back favorable. Jihoo-yah, what's going on?"

 - "If there were cause for concern, I would have told Jaejoong already."

 - "Jihoo-yah, my concern is I gave her the green light to visit the kids at the hospital. You know they are the cancer patients that go for treatment. Jihoo-yah, she has a history of depression or have you forgotten?"

 - "Anieyo, Na told Jaejoong to take care of her anemia and Na would take care of the rest."

 - "Maryah, what if something should happen to one of those kids? Do you think it's a good idea?"

 - "More than anything, she's missed the kids. I can't take that from her. It's a risk we'll have to take."

Jaejoong nodded in understanding. "There's something going on between you, isn't there?"

 - "Despite what you might think, anieya."

Jaejoong scrutinized Jihoo. "But Jihoo wouldn't mind if there were." Jaejoong laughed and clapped his hands in excitement, annoying Jihoo further. "Look, we're chingu and colleagues, Ilana is my patient and stubborn as she is, she's part of the NYP family. Will you at least tell me what caused the attack in the first place?"

Jihoo thought about it. Jaejoong could be responsible if need be, he was one of the top doctors for a reason. "Not a word to Abigaíl-ssi."

 - "Greomyo," Jaejoong said, all seriousness.

 - "She asked about my parents and I told her."

 - "Wau..." Amongst their set in Korea, everyone knew everything about the F4 and their families. Jaejoong also knew Jihoo never spoke about his parents. The fact that he told Ilana was something immense. "Greon, what happened?"

 - "I left the room and when I came back she was unconscious. Thankfully, I had Harabeoji's ECG machine. I was able to monitor her at the house." Jaejoong didn't make any comments about Ilana being at Jihoo's house. He knew when to push and when not to.

 - "Dude, you still think it's a good idea to let her go to the Children's hospital?"

Jihoo sighed.  "Deh...she connects with the children. I'm pretty sure she lost a family member at a young age." He didn't want to think it could be one or both of her parents. "She's starting to really open up to me. It means I've earned her trust; that means a lot to me. I know she was hurt by someone she trusted, she didn't deny it. I'm really close to getting her to tell me everything."

 - "Well, if anyone can do it, you can." Jaejoong clapped him on the shoulder as he stood. "I've got rounds to do, thanks for confiding in me." There was no need to say 'keep this confidential', the fact that Jihoo told him meant he knew it would not go beyond the door.

Abigaíl was telling Ilana a funny about Isabel, while they enjoyed their lunch.  "I'm serious, she thinks she's a puppy half the time or a kitten the other half."

 - "How adorable!"

- "Ara, Ilana-ssi but I'm taken." Jaejoong had just walked in with Jihoo in search of their admin’s.

- "Mollah (as in whatever), tch!" Ilana answered back.

- "Jagiya, aren't you happy, I came to join you for lunch?" Abigaíl wore an extremely annoyed look on her face.

- "She's ecstatic, can't you tell?"

- "Ilana Contreras!"

Ilana was unfazed by her friends scolding tone, directed her attention to Jihoo.  "J-Dr. Jihoo," she quickly covered, "has he always been this shamefully arrogant?"

 - "At least the five years I've known him well."

 - "Nae jagiya knows I like to mess with her. Yah, does jagiya and little jagiya want to go see 'Beauty and the Beast' on stage? It's playing in Rochester next month. Abeoji and Umma have box seats but aren't going. Something came up that they have to take care of. Jihoo-yah, Ilana-yah, you guys should come too. We can make a day of it with little jagiya."

Jihoo looked at Ilana's face, she was considering it. He knew this was something she would most likely enjoy. "Arraso, we're in," he said.

 - "Chincha? J-Dr. Jihoo..," she did it again, Jaejoong had caught it this time and gave a secret smile to Jihoo. Jihoo ignored him as usual. "...really wants to go?"

 - "Deh, ara Ilana-ssi would enjoy it." Trying to be formal with her sounded foreign to his ears and felt odd on his tongue.

 - "Ándale Abigaíl di que si (Come on, Abigaíl say yes), Isabel would love it."

 - "Well...I guess, Isabel, would like it."

 - "Greoum, that settles it, I'll let Umma know we are going." Jaejoong took out his phone and sent a quick message to his Mother. He briefly wondered if his parents weren't going to the show so that he could go with Abigaíl and Isabel. "Deh," he answered himself with a smile. "So, what should we do this weekend guys?" Jihoo and Ilana looked at each other and laughed. "Wae! Jihoo and I aren't on call and the weather is going to be great. Picnic in Central Park with Na little jagiya?"

Ilana thought of the Crabapple trees in the conservatory garden but also thought of all the chores she had to do. Jihoo and Goyangi, (who still remained nameless) took most of her evenings. Not that she complained.

 - "I have reports to do Saturday," Jihoo said.

 - "I should get my chores done."

Jihoo noticed Ilana's face, struggling between wanting to go and getting her housework done.

 - "I have chores to do on Saturday and Sunday I usually spend with the family." Abigaíl wondered if her parents would mind if she didn't go to lunch with them. As long as Dr. Jihoo and Ilana were with them, she didn't feel so awkward. She had to admit, Jaejoong's attention was getting to her. He was different than he used to be. He was still a dork but a sweet dork. Isabel adored him and that worried her the most. Jaejoong's walk with God was nonexistent, which meant there was no way she could enter into a relationship with him. Even if it was getting harder to say ‘no’. "How much longer do I have to pray, Lord?" Abigaíl asked silently.

 - "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and Self-control," came the soft reply.

Abigaíl mentally sighed, "yes Lord."

 - "Abigaíl, I can change my schedule, if Saturday is better for you," Jihoo offered.

 - "I can put off doing things until Sunday," Ilana followed suit.

 - "No, I'm sure it will be fine. I'll just let my parents know I won't be around Sunday afternoon."

 - "Daeback! Should we do American picnic, Korean, or both?"

 - "Korean!"

 - "American!

 - "Both it is, ladies." Jaejoong snapped his fingers. Ilana and Abigaíl had spoken at the same time. Ilana voted for Korean and Abigaíl for American.

 - "I'll pick up most of the food; just bring whatever you most want to eat. I'll get the rest."

 - "Dr. Jaejoong, remember there are only five of us. Don't go crazy and prepare food for twenty people," Ilana reminded him.

 - "Don't worry, he will." Jihoo put in.

 - "As long as there are cookies and hot dogs on the menu, Isabel will be happy."

 - "I need rice cake and seasoned spinach; I'll pick it up when I get it while I'm out shopping on Saturday. Jihoo-yah has to work so; I'll go all by myself." This time Ilana forgot to cover.

Jaejoong couldn't let it slide this time. If he didn't tease Ilana, he was going to explode. "Tch, Ilana-ssi, using Banmal to your senior?"

Ilana's eyes widened and her face turned an interesting color of red when she realized she hadn't used Jihoo's title. "Mianhamnida, Jihoo Uissa." Ilana hoped he didn't get upset for her treating him so casually at work; it had been so hard to remember title at work, no title outside of work.

Jihoo actually wanted to laugh at her startled face but they had to maintain some separation between their work time and friend time or they would be the subject of every possible rumor. "Gwenchanayo, this time. Na won't forgive so easily next time."

 - "Kansamnida Uissa," Ilana bowed and played along. She knew that spark of humor in his eyes. "I assure Uissa it will not happen again."

 - "Na better go back to work, before I get into trouble again."

 - "Is it time to go already?" Abigaíl looked at her watch.

 - "No, but I'm going to log on to twitter for a bit and see what the gang is doing." Ilana walked off hurriedly.

 - "SeungJo Uissa needed me in the ER after lunch, I'll be leaving also."

Abigaíl and Jaejoong were left grinning. "They are that close now?" Abigaíl commented. "Ilana has stopped using his title."

 - "Two fourteen-hour flights, motorcycle rides and horseback riding would even bring two strangers together."

 - "l guess so."

 - "That's what we should do!" Abigaíl looked at Jaejoong oddly. "Let's go riding!"

 - "That sounds like fun; Ilana and I were just talking about that the other day. I about inviting her 'friend' and Dr. Jihoo." Jaejoong laughed at this clever woman he was falling more head over heels for each day. "On one condition, I'm paying for Isabel and me."

 - "Anieyo."

 - "Yes, you're not winning this one."

 - "Watch me. We'll Rock-Paper-Scissors for it."

 - "Really? And how old are you again?"

 - "Yah! It's the only way to settle disputes but if Na jagiya doesn't want to play, I win by default."

 - "No way, I'll play and win!" Abigaíl had a little competitive streak of her own.


April 13, 2014

Ilana had everything ready and was sitting on the couch with the kitten, listening to classical music, when the doorbell rang. The kitten clung stubbornly to Ilana's lap, refusing to be cast aside. "Goyangi, Ajussi is at the door and if I don't answer, he might leave me behind. I want to have fun with my friends today, arraso?" The kitten meowed her 'no', making Ilana laugh. "Yah, don't talk back to me, agassi. Very well, we'll answer the door together." Ilana scooped the kitten into her arms and went to answer the door.

Jihoo smiled at Ilana with the kitten in her arms. They had greeted him together more than once already. "Say annyeong hasseyo Ajussi,” Ilana bowed with the kitten, which didn't appreciate it and bounced off Ilana. "I'm ready, let me put on my boots, where are yours?"

 - "In the car, Ilana is taking other shoes for afterward, right?"

 - "Greomyo!" Ilana gave him an 'I know what I'm doing' look, before bending to slide on the Granit square-toed boots, embroidered all around with a white floral and swirls pattern. "Arraso, I'll take the food I bought, Jihoo can take my saddle. It's only about thirty pounds but I was barely able to bring it from the room to the living room. Goyangi doesn't like it."

 - "Ilana is taking her own saddle?" He had to smile at her. She was serious when she said she didn't ride English style.

 - "Deh, is there a problem, ajussi?"

 - "Anieyo," Jihoo shook his head still grinning. "Na hope there is a horse that fits." Jihoo picked up the saddle with ease.

 - "Annyeong Goyangi, be good."

Jihoo put their things in the back of the SUV. He switched cars again, in order for them to be more comfortable. Ilana had already climbed in and now Jihoo got in and began to drive to the stables. "Goyangi is spoiled already and it's been less than a week," he commented.

 - "Aww, she's so sweet, I can't help it."

 - "Wae hasn't Ilana given her a name?"

 - "Ara, I've never named anything before. Na can't continue calling her Goyangi, that's what I call Jihoo when you sneak up on me." Jihoo chuckled, that was what made him think of getting her the cat. "She likes music and she's always purring, I thought of a musical term but they're all masculine. I can't call her Allegra, that's allergy medicine."

This really made Jihoo laugh. He remained pensive for a few seconds. "Name her Joy. I hope she always brings Ilana joy."

 - "Joy, na choah. Hajiman...it's a given she'll always bring me joy." Jihoo turned to smile at her. "The person who gave her to me brings me joy." Ilana turned to face the window and avoid Jihoo staring at her. She knew her face was turning several shades of red. She didn't mean to sound so cheesy, what will he be thinking?

Jihoo was slightly pink himself. He squeezed her hand, once he thought he could talk without betraying emotion. "Kansamnida, it...makes me happy when Ilana is happy." Ilana still looked out the window but with a smile on her face. Again she wondered, how could someone like her, have such wonderful friends?

Jaejoong insisted on picking up Abigaíl and Isabel, that way he could make sure they stayed for as long as he wanted them too. Again, he rented the 2014 Dodge Journey for the day and had a broker scouring the country for the 2015 model. He was anticipating more family outings with his two favorite ladies. Arriving at the stables, Isabel was already running to pick out a horse. Abigaíl ran after her. Jaejoong stayed where he was to admire the woman from behind, she fit her Wrangler jeans just right. They clung to her in all the right spots and he was immensely enjoying the view. "Dr. Prince! Look at this one!" Isabel beckoned him over to the stables to see a light brown mare.

 - "Oh that's a nice one; is that for us or Umma?"  Jaejoong had promised she could ride with him.

Isabel wore Wrangler jeggings and brown lace-up boots, like her Mother.  "I want to ride this one." 

 - "Arraso, what about that nice chocolate-colored one for Umma?"

 - "Guerae!" Isabel jumped up and down excitedly. "Where are Tía Ilana and Ajussi?" She was impatient to get going.

 - "They'll be here any minute; Ajussi said they were on their way." He grinned at her impatience. "Isabel-ah, look over there,” he pointed to a group of kids receiving lessons. "Do you want riding lessons?"

 - "Deh! Deh! Deh, Deh Deh!"

 - "Dr. Jaejoong! I would appreciate it if you clear it with me before offering my child riding lessons."

 - "Wae! I want to do things for you guys, why do you always have to fight me."

 - "We can't be bought, stop trying to seduce us with your money." Abigaíl didn't know why she said that. It was an open mouth, insert foot, type of moment.

 - "Is that what you think? I'm trying to buy you? If I wanted to do that, I would have done so already and frankly, you're not the -what did you say once? Dinner and bed? You're not that type, so I wouldn't even be wasting my time with you." He was hurt, he was angry at her, angry at himself that he'd built up such a reputation that now when he wanted something real it was just out of his grasp. He walked away back to the car.

Abigaíl ran after him, leaving Isabel sitting down on a haystack watching the horses. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I don't know why I said those things."

 - "Subconsciously, you must think that or you wouldn't have said it."

 - "I don't know what to think anymore. You confuse me, but I really don't think you're trying to buy us. It's just...you make me nervous."

 - "Wae? Have I ever acted inappropriately with you? I like to joke around and tease but did I ever really give you the impression that I wanted just dinner and bed with you?"

 - "No, that's why you make me nervous. I had you figured out, you had your place and I had mine and the two weren't supposed to cross. When did they start crossing? How did they start crossing?"

Jaejoong took Abigail’s hand and caressed the back of it with his thumb. "Mullah, but I'm glad they crossed, aren't you?" He just stared at her; he wanted her to see the sincerity behind his words.

Abigaíl was caught in his eyes, she saw the sincerity and care, he was right. Why would he be wasting time with her and Isabel when he could have any woman he wanted? She didn't realize they were both inching forward until they heard Isabel yelling. Their lips were only a second away from touching.

 - "Mama! Mama!" Abigaíl ran off to her daughter and Jaejoong followed. "Mama, I didn't see you." Isabel was crying.

 - "I'm sorry, baby. Mama got distracted."

 - "Jagiya, it's my fault, I distracted Umma. Mianhae, Mianhae." Isabel now safe in her Mother's arms began to still her crying.

 - "Thank you, Lord for keeping me from temptation," Abigaíl prayed silently.

Jihoo and Ilana drove up just at that moment.

 - "Tía Ilana!  Ajussi!" All crying now stopped, Isabel wanted down to run and say hello.

 - "My faith and my daughter are my focus, I can't be distracted from them," Abigaíl said.

 - "I understand and I don't want you to change. That's what I love about you but maybe I can be in your focus occasionally? I'm willing to patient."

 - "Lord, what do I do?"

 - "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart."

 - "I'm willing to be patient too," Abigaíl smiled at him before going after Isabel.

Jihoo and Ilana had already stepped out of the car. "Preciosa muñeca!" Ilana bent to try and pick up Isabel but she didn't get very far. "Isabel, tú tía esta fuera de forma (your Aunt is out of shape)." Ilana laughed as she hugged the child.

 - "Ajussi can pick you up."

Isabel squealed in delight as she was quickly lifted into Jihoo’s arms.

 - "Yah! Since you guys are here, let's go," Jaejoong said.

Abigaíl and Ilana hugged each other. "Aww, Isabel and you have matching lace-ups," Ilana commented.

 - "Papá Mío gave them to her."

 - "I'll have a handler come get your saddle while I change,” Jihoo said.

 - "I just need to put on my boots," Jaejoong headed back to the car.

The handler had come to take Ilana's saddle. "Wow, that's yours?" Abigaíl said as she and Ilana followed the handler back to the stables.

- "Yeah, my Grandfather had it made for me when I was little." Ilana had that faraway look in her face again but Jihoo wasn't there to notice it, this time.

 - "This wasn't made here, I can tell."

 - "What was?" Jaejoong caught up to them and Jihoo also was done getting dressed.

 - "My saddle, it was made in Jerez, it’s south from Girona, where my mom grew up in Spain.”

 - "It's fine work, handcrafted,” said the handler, already placed it on a horse.

Ilana wasn't paying attention. The time her Grandfather brought her the saddle would be the last time she saw him alive; he had passed after hearing the news of her parents.  Ilana took a deep breath to bring her back to the present. The first thing she noticed was Jihoo's eyes on her. Those eyes that made her smile, also made her fear that they knew all her secrets. She forced a smile. "Well, look at you two, if you weren't Korean, I'd swear you were British. Can you even move? Those pants look awfully tight along with those knee boots.”

 - "Ilana-yah and nae anae's jeans don't look all that loose to me. Not that I'm complaining."

 - "Hey! /Yah!" Abigaíl and Ilana yelled at once.

 - "Kaja, it's getting late,” Jihoo grinned.

Everyone began to mount. Jihoo came up to Ilana. "Is Ilana sure, she can ride on her own?"

 - "Deh, I've got my saddle now and you have yours, I assure you I won't need your help this time."

Abigaíl noticed Ilana and Jihoo hadn't moved; when she looked back they were engrossed in conversation with teasing smiles on their faces. She poked Jaejoong, who was at arms distance and gestured towards the other pair.

 - "If you're sure you don't need me to ride with you?"

 - "Jihoo-yah is a big boy and can ride by himself. Jihoo-yah doesn't need me to hold his hand."

 - "Is Ilana-yah sure she doesn't need me to hold her hand."

 - "Ka! Get on and let's go already."

Jihoo finally mounted, chuckling to himself. They rode along mostly two by two and occasionally the trail narrowed making them ride single file. Jaejoong was always at the lead and Jihoo brought up the rear, Isabel rode happily with her Dr. Prince.

 - "This is nice, thank you," Abigaíl said. They hadn't really talked since their somewhat argument.

 - "I'm glad."

 - "Mama! Hold my hand!" Isabel reached for her Mother's hand.

Jaejoong had her corralled between his arms so she wouldn't fall. Abigaíl had to come very close to Jaejoong in order to hold her daughter's hand. This meant that occasionally she had to brush up against him. Thankfully a short narrow stretch was just up ahead and she was forced to let go. Once they were able to ride side by side again, she kept her distance. "You're a good rider," Abigaíl commented. Jaejoong sat straight in his saddle and was very graceful. She tried not to stare as she admired his form.

- "I was in the equestrian club at school," he smiled. "What about you? You're not bad, even if you haven't had any real training. I can get both Isabel and Isabel's Umma riding lessons."

 - "No, thank you."

 - "What about little jagiya?"

 - "I don't know...let me think about it. I need more information, I don't know if I want to drive back to the city every weekend."

 - "I can have a driver pick up Isabel after school to bring her."

 - "No, I'm not letting a stranger pick her up."

 - "He's not a stranger; we can hire a Nanny for days she has riding lessons."

 - "You're doing it again."

 - "Doing what?"

 - "Going over the top."

 - "Jagiya makes me go over the top."

 - "Whatever."

Jaejoong was grinning widely. He felt like he was getting closer to his goal. Actually, he was just about there, whether she wanted to admit it or not.

Jihoo and Ilana road just enough behind the other two they couldn't hear their conversation. They were having their own teasing session. Jihoo would ride close to Ilana's mount so his mount would pin her leg. Since she could ride one handed, she would push Jihoo with the other and kick her horse forward. He would then catch up to her and start all over again.

After riding for a couple of hours, they had all worked up an appetite. Arriving back at the stable yard, Jihoo and Jaejoong went off to change and a handler unsaddled Ilana's horse for her. "That was fun. I'm glad Nana brought my saddle, she'll be happy when I call and tell her."

 - "It was fun, I'm glad I came."

 - "Umma, I want a horsey."

 - "Don't let her Dr. Prince hear that," Ilana playfully warned.

 - "God, no. Isabel," Abigaíl said sternly, "don't you dare say that to Dr. Jaejoong."

Jihoo came out of the dressing room first; Ilana spotted him and walked right over.  "Yoon Jihoo, you are a brat." She poked him in the chest, with bold familiarity.

 - "Eottoke?" He's was surprised at first but a grin soon appeared on his face.

 - "If I get a single bruise from your teasing…mollah. Deh…, ara…, I'll call Harabeoji and then you'll be in trouble."

Jihoo laughed at her; if Harabeoji knew he’d be congratulating him instead of scolding.  Just to further, he reached out and tugged her low ponytail.

 - "Yah!" Jihoo walked/ran away from her. His long legs made it easy to keep just out of her reach. "Come back here, you!  Wait till I pull your hair, see how you like it." Jihoo let her chase him around the yard for a good while.

Jaejoong, who finally came out of the dressing room observed the chasing and wondered what was going on?

 - "What's with those two?"

 - "I don't know, but they're pretty fun to watch. I've never seen Dr. Jihoo smile or laugh as much as he is."

 - "Neither have I," giving a smile of his own. "Let's go find a spot to eat, I'm thinking Belvedere Castle. Jagiya?" Jaejoong turned to Isabel, "Do you want to picnic by the castle?"

 - "Deh!"

 - "Kaja, Ilana won't be able to chase him for very long." Jaejoong and 'family' headed for the car.

Jihoo also lead Ilana towards the car, standing by the passenger door to let her in (indicating the chase was over). He stood. Out of breath, she caught up to him. "Yoon...Ji...hoo, annchoah!" She lifted a booted foot to kick his shin.

Anticipating her move, Jihoo quickly blocked her with his own leg. - "I'm a Master in Taekwondo," he caught her by the arms when she was knocked off balance.  Ilana narrowed her eyes at her cocky grinning friend. "Na told Ilana, she looks cute when she's angry, get in. The others are leaving without us."

Still sulking, she climbed into the SUV.

Jaejoong had already reserved two parking spots near the castle as well as anchoring down several blankets on the grassy area. Starving from their ride, they couldn’t unload Jaejoong's car fast enough.  Their feast consisted of Korean Fried Chicken, Gimbap, Korean Potato Salad and Peanut Butter sandwiches for Isabel. Ilana brought plenty of rice cake and seasoned spinach, while Jihoo brought a large thermos of barley tea and some organic juice pouches for Isabel.

After massacring most of their meal, they sat around too full to move. Abigaíl and Ilana both wore smiles of contentment. Why not? The day was beautiful and the company, although a bit nutty, was very sweet. Their two male friends looked upon them warmly. Isabel bounced from Jaejoong to Jihoo and back again, looking for attention. Jaejoong decided to entertain her by playing 'I spy' for a few minutes. "I spy with my little eye, something square."

Isabel looked around, on the blanket, before announcing:  "the napkin!"

- "Good Job! I spy with my little eye, something white."

- "Ajusshi's shirt!" Jihoo was the only one wearing a white shirt, which happened to be the one Ilana gave him.

- "Daeback, last one. This is going to be really hard, ready?" Isabel nodded eagerly. "I spy with my little eye..."  Jaejoong paused for dramatic effect, "someone beautiful."

- "Mama!" Isabel threw herself at her Mother, who just rolled her eyes at Jaejoong.

Ilana smiled at Jihoo. They knew Jaejoong was trying hard to conquer Abigaíl and they were pretty sure, it wouldn't take much longer.

- "Isabel-ah, ready to visit the castle?"

- "Deh!"

- "Anyone else coming?" Jaejoong asked.

- "I'm in," Ilana said. Jihoo stood and helped her up.

Leaving the blanket and leftover food behind, they all walked the trail leading to the castle. Inside the castle, Isabel ran about excitedly looking at the Paper Mache birds and avoiding the bird skeletons. Jihoo had never been in the castle enjoyed looking into the microscopes, while Ilana and Abigaíl enjoyed the views from the telescopes.

Ilana soon found her way to one of the balconies and took in the view of the Shakespeare Garden.

Jihoo had been engrossed in one of the microscopes and didn't realize Ilana had disappeared. He looked in several different places until he found her in one of the balconies enjoying the view. He watched her for a few minutes, not giving away his presence. She wore a soft smile as she admired the view from her standpoint. Not just once had he thought of her as a Princess, albeit a reluctant one. Her friends called her Princess and Cinderella; he never did ask them why. He was sure they knew who she was but still, she hadn't confided in him. He wondered why? In what part of her puzzle did her chaebol status fit in? The person who hurt her? Or the person she lost? He was sure she had lost someone close to her. Someone as close as a parent, he silently prayed that it wasn't a parent. "Annyeong," Jihoo walked up to her, placing his hand softly on her back.

- "Goyangi!" Ilana said startled, "jeongmal, wae don't you make noise when you walk?"

Jihoo chuckled, following the direction of her gaze.  Na believe that's the Shakespeare Garden."

- "Yippeun but I didn't care for Shakespeare's plays."

- "Na don't suppose you would."

- "Na Umma's room overlooks her rose garden."

- "Ilana-yah is home-sick?"

- "A-anieyo!" Truthfully she was parents sick. Whenever she and Jihoo were quiet like this, her parents always came to mind. One of these days she was accidentally going to tell him the truth. The last thing she wanted to do was remind him of his own loss. She had decided he would never know the truth about her parents.  "Little things here and there remind me of the things I l-love…the most about my parents."

- "Mmm." They remained quiet looking out at the garden, trying to keep painful memories at bay.

Jaejoong, Abigaíl, and Isabel ended up at the top of the castle looking out over Turtle Pond. "Jagiya, do you want to go for a walk by the pond?"

- "Deh!" Isabel responded. Anything her Dr. Prince suggested was bound to be fun.

- "We need to let your Imo and Imobu know, let's find them."

The party was reunited and decided it was best to pick up their picnic area before wandering any further away. Jihoo and Ilana hadn't decided what direction to take, so everyone said their goodbyes before separating.  Keeping a blanket for themselves, Ilana sat under the sun for a little while. Lying on her back, she was enjoying the warmth on her face. "Ilana-yah is going to burn."  Having left the sunscreen in the car, Jihoo thought to remind her.

- "Gwenchana, it feels nice. It's been almost eighty degrees all month back home but it's just barely warming up here, in New York. It was warmer in Seoul than here."

- "Arraso, Ilana can soak in some vitamin D for a little longer." Jihoo decided to join her and lay next to her.

She turned to smile at him. "No que no (I thought you said no)?"

Jihoo smiled, closing his eyes.  They lay there for a few minutes before Ilana broke the silence.

 - "Jihoo-yah..."

- "Deh?"

- "Ilana-yah, want to go to the conservatory garden? Or would you rather walk the Turtle pond."

- "Ilana-yah wants to see the crabapple trees in bloom, doesn't she?"

- "Mmm," she grinned sheepishly. He was getting to know her very well. Although she didn't realize he'd known her very well for some time now.

- "Arraso," he stood up and extended his hand to help Ilana up.

She took the offered hand but then was hit with a mischievous spark. Knowing she would be in trouble but unable to resist.  "Oh Jihoo-yah, there's something in your hair, a leaf or something. Here, I'll get it for you." He trustingly bent his head while she stood on her toes. She tugged on his hair and ran off laughing to the car.

He stood there, watching as she went, enjoying the sound of her laughter.  He became more and more attached to her each day.

Over by the Turtle pond, Isabel had both her Mother and Dr. Prince by the hand, unknowingly attracting attention as a sweet little family.

Isabel hung from the two adult’s arms, "swing me!"

- "Isabel," Abigaíl scolded.

- "Aww, come on, Umma, just a couple of swings.  It's a special day; Dr. Prince doesn't get to see his little jagiya that often."

- "You've been seeing your little jagiya," Abigaíl mocked, "a lot more often."

- "I can't help it; I can't get enough of my little jagiya and her Umma." Isabel giggled and Abigaíl gave her the 'keep quiet' look. "Come on, on the count of three: Hana...Dol...Set!" They swung Isabel between them.

- "Again, again!"

- "Hana...Dol...Set!"

They repeated the same process several times before stopping along the embankment. Jaejoong hoisted a squealing Isabel onto his shoulders.  "Abi-ssi, kansamnida, for coming today," he said all seriousness.

Abigaíl turned to look at him but he was staring at the water. There was no smirk or teasing evident on his face. "I...should thank you. I had a really nice day. Forgive me, if I forget to be grateful for your kindness. I've told you before, I'm not perfect."

Abigaíl heard that soft voice in her ear again: "Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

- "Anieyo," Jaejoong denied her imperfectness. "You're perfect just the way you are."

- "No, I'm not. I have the hope of the promise that I'll be made perfect one day but until then I'm flesh and blood and make mistakes just like you do. Forgive me, if I've come across as if I'm better than you because I'm not. And I've sinned by not showing you God's love."

- "Anieyo, I know my mistakes make me less in your eyes. I want to prove myself worthy to you."

- "Saranghamnida, Dr. Prince. Yesunim (Jesus) Dr. Prince saranghamnida (Jesus loves Dr. Prince)."

Jaejoong looked up to Isabel.  "Isabel-ah Kansamnida."  He was deeply affected by the child's affection for him but at the same time confused. She was a smart little girl but where had she learned to say 'Jesus' in Korean? "Why don't we head back to the car, it's getting a little breezy."

- "What new word did you teach Isabel?" Abigaíl didn't understand most of the words her child used with Dr. Jaejoong but had become familiar with the sound of them, if not the actual meaning.

- "Well, you know saranghamnida means ‘I love you’ but...yah, jagiya, who taught you ‘Yesunim’?"

- "Yesu," Isabel replied in a 'who else?' tone of voice.


Coming up next: Jaejoong's parents will have to leave a few weeks ahead of schedule...