first date

unrequited love

The two were now swaying in a speed boat going 30 miles an hour, and he was quiet though she was enjoying every moment of it. She turned towards him, noticing how pale he'd gotten as his white knuckles gripped the bar that kept them from flying out of the boat. "Do you... think we can stand?" she asked jokingly, trying to start conversation. He looked incredulously at her, this bright-eyed minx. "Sure, why not?" he replied hesitantly, wobbling on legs not used to the constant rocking as she stood easily and shook back her long hair. "So refreshing!" she sighed, letting go of the bar for a second and imitating the girl from titanic (not her favourite movie ever because it was too long, but she had to admit it was romantic). "Haha driver go faster!" she called out to the ajusshi in front, who was happy to oblige and picked up to a breath-taking speed. "I think we should sit down now!" she called out to Taemin, who was already making his way back to his seat before she even finished her sentence. "Don't get me wrong, i like thrills, but this is kind of just making me sick..." he whispered so the camera wouldnt catch how weak he was. She nodded understandingly, "ajusshi, im cold! do you think we can go back onshore now?" she yelled, feigning shivers so the camera would think she was the one who wanted to give up, not him. Taemin smiled in relief and thanks to her, and she felt herself go ticklish all over at him smiling like that.

And they were outside a resort along the beachfront where outdoor cooking areas with large tents had been set-up lavishly. And he seemed less pale, smiling ear to ear as he showed off his skills on the grill and cooked meat for them. Naeun was more than a little hungry, eyeing up the meat that she would have to refrain from stuffing her face with because she had to be lady-like for the camera... sadly. "Do you like meat?" he asked, noticing her stare every time he flipped the beef cuts. She nodded shyly, "i can eat meat without stopping..." "me too!" he replied happily, using the scissors to cut it into smaller pieces. "I think i could eat everything here! i'm sooo hungry right now..." she laughed, actually thinking the same thing.

After an incident with a live cray-fish (which also tasted delicious) they walked along the beach and she got her shoes wet foolishly running too close to the water. "Why did i have to laugh so much and not notice the water?" she thought, wanting to hit her head against something. It was nice of him to take off his shoes as well for her though, they walked along the beach a little more and then sat side by side with coffee, listening to corny music on his phone ("yah stop thinking insults like that!" she cursed herself, but she had to admit she wouldnt ever buy the song from itunes...). "What was your favourite part of today?" he asked her, and she looked down at her sandy feet in thought. "I think... the boat that we went on..." she said, looking up at him, knowing it was probably his least favourite thing about today. "What about you?" she countered, bringing her knees up to lean on them and look at him comfortably. She'd found a stick on the ground and was now scribbling lazily into the sand. "Before i met you..." he replied quickly, keeping a straight face. Her expression of shock made him bite his lip, and he burst into laughter. "It was a joke! sorry!" he tried to recover, seeing her still surprised expression, though she kept her eyes down. Inside she felt a little like crying, "stupid feelings..." she mumbled, hitting the palm he held out in apology with her frail stick. She would have preferred kicking him, the way her unnie chorong had taught her when they'd gone to the hapkido gym her father owned.

"This was nice. For my first date i mean..." she told him later, as the cameras were put away and they were standing together waiting for their managers to finish talking with the director. "It was nice for my first date too" he replied, hands in his pockets as he leaned back on a palm tree. "Do you think i can get your number? it'll help us get over the awkwardness and act better on the show if we contact eachother i mean... we're not going to meet again for another two weeks" she frowned at him, not really taking that lame excuse. "Listen lee taemin, we're idols with images to protect and im not into secret dating". "It wont be dating!" he insisted, standing straight and pulling out his phone. "I want to talk with you as friends, JUST friends. Okay?" he searched for his phone number and scribbled on a piece of paper. "Here, if you feel like texting me. I just want us to know eachother a little better so we can be less awkward". He walked off to his manager leaving her standing there shell-shocked with the piece of paper. Though she wanted to throw it away, she didn't. But when he turned back to glance at her for a second, she made a point of screming the paper up into a little ball and then shoving it into her bag. He smirked, and they shared a moment for half a second before each turned away and walked off with their managers in opposite directions.