lunchtime

unrequited love

Naeun hid around the corner of her seniors classroom watching as one by one the students filed out heading towards the cafeteria. When she spotted the long-haired boy she smiled, hoping he'd turn his head only a little so she could spy his face. He was with his friends and had a soccer ball in his hand, it seemed they were heading straight for the field instead. Thinking this could be a good chance to finish her drawing she followed them as discreetly as she could until they stopped on one side of the field. Instead of continuing any firther she climbed the nearby ginko tree, breathing in the strong scent and settling happily on one of the highest branches to watch the boys play.

"Kick it here!" Taemin yelled to his friend ji hoon, who with a low grumble kicked with all his might accross the field. one of the other guys, daehyun, spotted something in the trees as they continued their two on two game of soccer. "is she looking over at us?" he asked aloud, seeing the bright pair of eyes directed towards them from the small distance. "Another fangirl stalker of yours hyung?" gongchan asked the one-year older hyung, myungsoo. The older boy looked up into the branches and spied her clearly, pulling a tiny smile accross his lips. It was the girl he had taken a secret liking to, he always noticed her sitting quietly in the corner, while her friends chatted. At lunchtimes on fine days, when everyone sat outside, their two groups of friends would sit near eachother, and she'd be drawing or studying quietly, absorbed between the pages of some sort of book. "I've never seen her before, but she's cute" he lied, waving up at her. "What are you guys stopping for?" Taemin asked annoyed at the frozen boys all looking up the tree. He ran over to them and spied Naeun as well, busily scribbling away on her sketchbook, so absorbed in the drawing and the clear picture she had of taemin in her minds eye that she didnt even notice the real one below. "Hey girl! you're interrupting our game!" Taemin yelled above, waving his arms to catch her attention. The other guys elbowed him.

Naeun jolted out of her preoccupied state at the sound of his voice and looked down, to where a boy was still staring up at her while two others were pushing taemin away from the tree. "hello!" the boy who she knew was named myungsoo called out, bowing. "what are you doing up there?" Naeun stared down at him nervously, tucking the drawing into her ntoebook. "i was drawing... the things in this tree, birds" she quickly made up. "sorry to bother you..." "you don't have to be sorry, the only person bothered by you is over there" he said, pointing to taemin who was still getting pushed away by gongchan and jihoon. Her eyes widened in shock that he might be angry at her now. She stood up and managed to clear the height of 30 feet up in under eight seconds, by jumping lightly and stealthily onto 3 descending branches. Bowing to myungsoo and to the far away boys who had stopped to stare in awe at her feat, she turned to quickly run back to the cafeteria, "sorry again for disturbing you!" she called behind her, blushing and wanting to get as far away from them as possible.

"wow... who was that?" jihoon asked, mouth agape as they walked back over to myungsoo. "i think her names son naeun, a 7th grader from the looks of the uniform..." myungsoo was still mesmerised by her running figure before it disappeared around the corner. Taemin was the only one not affected by her, tapping his foot impatiently waiting for them to snap out of it. he eventually kicked the ball so it hit his hyungs back. "YAH LEE TAEMIN!" myungsoo yelled, turning with a glare at his dongsaeng ready to go after him. Taemin grinned in glee and ran with the ball to the goalpost to continue their game.