Closure

unrequited love

The man sat staring at the ground impatiently. His weathered hands showed signs of aging, as did the recceeding hairline. Dark eyes glinted at the shoe of the officer standing beside him, wanting very much to take that show and use it to kill the officer who'd been with him for the last ten years and seemed to take pleasure in every moment he was stuck in the cell. While he had never acknowledged his crimes, he had also never considered himself a good person to those who had been good to him. He knew he had failed his family, his parents though had three successful older sons to be proud of and so one black sheep in the family wasn't worth makinga big fuss over. One locked up and three out in the world making somehting of themselves was apparently accomplishment enough to those parents...

"What's taking so long?" he demanded, rearing his head up at the officer who kept a blank expression with only the slightest shine of satisfaction showing his pleasure. "Why am i even here? you tell me i have a visitor but you don't tell me who it is?! it's only ever my mother anyway and she's late so she can come back next time..." he stormed off towards the cells with the officer close at hsi heels. "STOP!" he ordered, grabbing his shoulder and spinning him. "She's here now..." he pointed over to the girl  by the viewers-window, sitting calmly with a blank expression. He eyed her wearily, smirking. "A present for me yu-jong? you shouldn't have hehe..." the officer snorted in disgust and set him down in front of his daughter. "Why she even came to see you again is beyond me... pig" the officer retreated a small distance to stand by the corridor leading down to the cells, affording them a little privacy.

"And just who might you be miss?" he asked, leaning on one elbow and eyeing what he could of the girl, which wasn't much with the thick sweater but she had a pretty face and he could see she was starting to get uncomfortable under his gaze. She kept as cool as she could, though inside she felt like screaming at him. "I'm your daughter, Son Naeun..." she stated, causing a sharp intake of breath to come from his lips. His eyes widened in shock as he stared at her, standing slowly. "Well well well, how did you finally convince the hag to let you come here?" he asked, eyebrows raised as he set himself back down. She felt like kicking the window in and punching him in the face. Instead she kept the blank look and raised her own eyebrows. "I'm an adult now, i can decide these things for myself..." "And you wanted to see me because?" instead of being interested in his daughter he was getting bored now. There was no chance of this leading anywhere worthwhile, he thought he'd buried his past with the family he'd fathered and that was that. Now she felt like coming around to dig up old dirt? "I'm here for closure".

Those words came unexpected to because she didn't really know in the first place why she'd come up until that point. "I wan't you to tell me why you did what you did, whether or not you've repented for your crimes and what made you become this person..." she stared at him intently and slowly the grin faded from his face. The frown likes were appearing as were wrinkles that had cropped up over the last few years. His dark eyes stared at the eyes that looked like his own, judging him.

It was too silent. He was staring into space as if going back in time, fading from what was happening right now. She stared long and hard at him but he didn't notice, she could practically hear the metallic sound of cogs turning in his head as he struggled with something internally. When he returned to the present being, he blinked and looked at her again. Her face was grim, eyes shining and fingers raking the small table in front of her that she leant on, breathing heavily. He didn't want to answer, because in that moment he realised, he was a bad person. She had come here for closure, but for a crime that he had committed and something that would never be erased. She would never find closure for somehting like this, even if he were dead, the dreams would haunt her. Even if he were punished, she would still be spoiled. There was nothing that could be done of it but a small ticking in his head beheld a tiny idea that his conscious was unaware of, an idea that he was going to put into action, intentionally, without even realising that he was trying to help. He remembered the slight girl who hung around him lkke smoke. When he tried to reach her she stayed out of his grasp, whose presence was there but not in his sight. It was only when she slept her guard was lowered, only then could she  be caught and contained. He was evil for doing those things.

"I touched you because i'm a bad person, i haven't repented and i am the way i am because i can be" he smiled again, but the wrinkles didn't fade, he smiled wide and long like a demented creature whose head would at any moment twist 180 degrees to face the same direction as his back. And he started to laugh, huge bellows of laughter that came from some dark place inside him and begged to be released after all these years. He'd never really laughed in jail, in his first years the inmates had found out that he was in for being a e and tried to kill him. They'd been very close too when he was cornered in his cell one day while the patrole officers were absent for two minutes, they'd slit his throat and he  the scar on his neck that proved it in that moment.  After that he was monitored 24 hours and the inmates left him alone, but he was also almost completely isolated from people. Naeun stared at the creature before her, he wasn't human. She didn't know what he was. "Why are you like this?!" she yelled finally having enough and flipping the table on her side. "You ed me up! i hate you!" she screamed on the spot like a wild animal, punching the glass window and cracking it but not able to get through. She didn't cry, but the look she gave him was past fury, cold and blood-chilling. He didn't move, frozen as he watched his daughter's every movement. "That temper you have deep down, it reminds me of myself..." he admitted, standing up and backing away from the window. "Don't let it control you, or you'll do something you'll regret..." he stared at her , not with pity for the scared introverted woman she'd become (if anything he knew his daughter had become successful and he should be thanked for the way she was and just for being born!) but as if staring at himself for the first time. He didn't know how to react to the reflection though, so he ran away from it. "GET BACK HERE!" she screamed, scratching at the window  and pushing the officer who now came to her side and tried to pull her away. "You wont find closure here, go somewhere else!" he yelled with a wave of his hand as he stalked to the cells. She still felt feral, like she wanted to attack something, anything. But the officer wouldn't budge and held her arms behind her back and she struggled against the wall. Eventually her heavy breathing calmed down and her calm expression and demeanour returned. "I'm sorry" she said now, craning her neck towards the officer who with a nod released her. She brushed herself off and looked back at the window where her father had been. "Send me the bill for the window in the mail, i'd like to go home now..." she walked slowly towards the exit, reflecting on what he'd said, her reactions and anger that she'd only seen the one time with Myungsoo but otherwise she'd never known existed. But mostly she dwelled on a fact that made her happy, the one thing about this visit that she was made more aware of and the best part of all of this was that she had no past and commited no crime of her own to have to live with. Nothing had been her fault and she firmly believed this. And while she could leave this place and him behind, he never could.