mistaken liking

unrequited love

Naeun was searching frantically for the drawing., Her hair and uniform was soaked from the rain that torrented while she ran around the field and even poured through the tree she had climbed earlier and searched under. Now under the shelter of the school, she sat with her head between her knees, staring at the miserable weather gloomily. "Ahem..." a voice croaked as someone announced themselves, stepping forward. Naeun didnt bother looking up. She knew she must look dreadful, her shoes were caked with drying mud and her normally straight hair was tangled and wet. "I found this drawing around here and i remembered you were drawing earlier, does it belong to you?" Myungsoo asked, sticking the grubby piece of paper out to her. She looked up slowly, blinking. It really was the boy from earlier, why had he followed her outside? "Yes it's mine thank you..." she said, shyly ducking her head again and taking the drawing without looking. "You're all wet..." he said, noticing her drowned-rat like appearance. "I was searching for my drawing under the tree where i was before" she pointed out to the spot where she'd been earlier. "You did that all for a drawing?!" he asked incredulously, crouching down beside her. She smiled shyly, "i know its stupid, but i've been working on this for a really long time. it's ruined though anyways..." "hmm... i think you should hold onto it, i can still see the drawing and its very beautiful, who..." he tried to finish the sentence but he couldnt. she knew he was going to ask who she'd drawn, and rather than get into having to answer an awkward question, she stood up. "I need to go to the bathroom and clean myself up, thank you for my drawing!" she turned to leave when a hand grabbed at her wrist. "Wait! I just need you to answer a question before you go..." she froze, biting her lip in nervousness. She didnt want to reveal her crush to him, she hadnt even told her friends that she liked him. Being a naturally secretive girl Naeun kept to herself, it was always safest that way. "Will you go out with me?" Myungsoo asked, turning her so that she was facing him directly, a shocked look on her face. Naeun could barely find her voice when she spoke, she could barely breathe. "What if he tells everyone about the drawing? Then he might figure out i was drawing taemin and everyone will know about my crush..." her worried thoughts were getting carried away. "Maybe if you pretend to like myungsoo, and date him, he'll think you were drawing him and you can continue to like taemin from afar. Is it worth keeping that secret?"

Myungsoo was getting worried after 30 seconds when she was still frozen in the spot, her eyes looking into a distant place as if she was thinking hard. "Naeun?" he called, waving his hand in front of her face. She blinked twice, her eyes coming into focus on his face as a small smile formed. "Y-your thoughts looked preoccupied..." he stuttered a little, wondering if that smile meant a yes to his question. Naeun grabbed both of his hands and he felt his cheeks go red. She felt strangely calm even though usually something like this would make her as red as a strawberry. "How am i able to do these things now? i cant even talk to the person i really like..." she wondered, clearing . "If you wondering, i was drawing you" she lied smoothly, causing his breath to hitch. "I really like art adn i love drawing and you're very handsome, who wouldn't want to draw you?" "so... you like me? you'll be my girlfriend?" he asked excitedly, clasping her hands a little tighter. "Have to let him down easy" she thought, slowly releasing his hands. "I'm sorry myungsoo, even though i like drawing you i can't date you..." she said carefully, taking a step back from him. "I only want to focus on school right now, it was a mistake for me to get so into my artwork that i even climbed up a tree to follow you and draw you. But i'm sure you have a lot of other fangirls who will want to be your girlfriend, please move on from me and find someone who deserves you more..." she walked away, leaving him with a sad expression. "I hope he's alright, but this is for the best" she thought, heading for the bathrooms instead of the cafeteria to wash up. At first she considered dating him to hide her feelings for taemin, but in the end her conscience took over, leading someone along like that would be cruel, and she wasn't the kind of person to do that. Washing the mud off her shoes and using papertowels to dry herself as much as possible, Naeun stared at herself in the mirror, wondering if she would ever have enough courage to tell her real crush that she liked him...