Don't Go

Tongue Tied

A/N: The long awaited update. Thank you everyone so much for your support and patience. This semester has been crazy busy and I've been overwhelmed with work and new story ideas. But as you all know, I will never abandon this story and I thank everyone for sticking with me. This chapter has been a long time coming and it's almost 4.5k in words. Please comment and whatnot and lastly, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 200+ SUBS! Enjoy this chapter~

 

When Sunny returned to her seat, she could feel the effects of her little speech before her performance. People were staring at her, some whispering rather loudly as she walked back to her seat. It didn’t make her uneasy however, she didn’t care about what they thought.

 

She noticed Yoona and Sooyoung hugging after she left backstage. She made eye contact with Yoona and took the sign to not approach them yet. Sunny didn’t really have any intention to talk to Sooyoung yet, she just wanted to know how she was.

 

There was still their dance performance that closed the show, and then Sunny’s final solo that would serve as a bonus. Sunny wondered if maybe the audience would be sick of her by then, but once again she didn’t really care. It was for Sooyoung after all.

 

The whispers and weird looks seemed to disappear the second she reunited with her friends. They all gathered in between the aisles and ran to hug Sunny once she was in their sight.

 

They engulfed her in a tight, almost air choking grip. No one said a word and no one had to, Sunny knew what it was for. She closed her eyes as she embraced the warmth and comfort of her friends and before she knew it, tears were spilling from her eyes again. She wasn’t alone though, for the majority of her friends were crying with her.

 

“Sorry to break the touching moment guys, but we should probably sit down again,” Min announced with a frown. She really wished that they could’ve continued their little love fest, but at the same time she didn’t want the surrounding audience to get mad at them for blocking the view.

 

The show was still on, after all.

 

When Sunny got back in her seat, Jessica and Seohyun were on both of her sides, grabbing her arm and hugging her tightly. She smiled softly at them, Seohyun’s eyes solemn with support while Jessica was still sniffling rather heavily. Sunny’s sleeve was even getting a little moist, but she didn’t mind.

 

Yoona came back after the next act, taking her place next to Sunny instead of Seohyun.

 

“How do you feel?” she whispered, giving Sunny a small smile. She had been comforting Sooyoung with hugs and pep talks and when she was done, she ran all the way back to check on her other unnie.

 

“Alright,” Sunny responded with a small shrug, “A bit better now that all the cards are on the table, although a little in front of all these people.”

 

Yoona chuckled before placing her hand in Sunny’s, “They can only be so lucky to share even the smallest part in your story with Sooyoung.”

 

“Do we really have a story together though?” Sunny mumbled, but it was loud enough for Yoona to hear.

 

“Yes, I’m sure of it.”

 

Sunny wanted to ask how Sooyoung was, but she wasn’t sure if maybe she should hold back. Maybe Yoona wasn’t even planning on revealing anything considering that she and Sooyoung were practically as tight as she was with Taeyeon.

 

So she continued to watch the following acts in peace, occasionally checking on Yuri wiping Jessica’s eyes or the maknae couple on her other side.

 

She noticed that Sooyoung took a while to come back out to MC. Had Sunny made her cry that much? The redness in her eyes weren’t too obvious, nor was the puffiness. Sunny just had Sooyoung’s beautiful clear eyes memorized like the back of her hand that she could tell when it was even just a little off.

 

She felt bad, but it had to be done. She told herself many times that she’d never make Sooyoung cry and yet here they were. This was probably the millionth time that she’d been the source of the younger girl’s tears, but what was she to do? Unfortunately love had to bring a bit of heartbreak and pain as well. She knew that fact 100%.

 

After a few more acts, Sunny finally had the will to ask Yoona.

 

“How is she?”

 

Yoona hummed for a bit before turning to Sunny with a crooked smile, “She could be better. She was crying a lot, but you know her, she’s always like that. I just think that it means she’s really taking everything to heart. Which also means, I think you really have a chance.”

 

Sunny nodded with every statement, a smile gracing her features at the thought of Yoona being right. She could only hope for that much.

 

“What’s your final song anyway? I’m quite hurt that you only shared all of this with Taeyeon unnie and not with us,” Yoona pouted, huffing and showing off a bit of her childish aegyo.

 

The shorter girl rolled her eyes, “Do you really have to be like this? Anyway, I never really had the chance to bring it up, I guess? I’m sorry, but to make it up to you I guess I could tell you my final song.”

 

“Really?!” Yoona almost shouted, Seohyun had to appease the people around them before turning and glaring at her girlfriend. “Whoops, sorry.”

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon was doing the best she could to read Sooyoung while they were backstage. She made quick but rather obvious glances at the taller girl and bit her lip, wondering if she should maybe offer a hug. She would wander closer to the taller girl, then realize that maybe she needed some space for a while. Her head hurt thinking too much about it.

 

Unfortunately, the older girl’s actions were ridiculously and painfully obvious to Sooyoung. She kept twitching and taking double takes at the taller girl amidst all the back stage shuffling. And when Sooyoung almost caught Taeyeon staring she couldn’t help but chuckle a little.

 

“Good to hear you laughing,” Taeyeon said, red obvious in her cheeks from getting caught. But she kept her composure, trying to save some face.

 

“Laughing at you, dork,” Sooyoung replied before briefly sticking out her tongue. She briefly chuckled again and she felt lighter from it. Laughing always made her feel better. She had been too worried and thinking way too much to laugh lately. The nervousness and anxiety that had built up in her system was slowly making its way out through Yoona’s support and Taeyeon’s display of concern.

 

She was extremely thankful for her friends.

 

“So if you don’t mind my asking, how are you feeling?” Taeyeon let out honestly, inching closer to Sooyoung before bravely grabbing her hand. It was cold and sweaty, nothing like her hands usually were. Taeyeon noticed the girl was a bit paler too. It killed her to see both Sooyoung and Sunny is such emotional stress.

 

“Okay, I think,” Sooyoung responded with a small nod, “I’m still breathing. Besides, I have to be okay in order to perform captain Hyoyeon’s killer routine in a bit.”

 

“Oh yeah, the last performance is in four more acts, isn’t it?” Taeyeon was a little surprised herself, saying it out loud. The night seemed so long yet so short.

 

“Yeah,” Sooyoung exhaled, fiddling with Taeyeon’s fingers in search of comfort.

 

“Are you going to talk to Sunny then?” Taeyeon asked a little hopeful, but she doubted that she’d get a positive response.

 

“Maybe, maybe not,” Sooyoung admitted honestly with a shrug, “It’s a little difficult to face her right now. To be honest, I kind of want to run away from all this but I made a commitment to the talent show committee and I promised Sunny that I’d listen.”

 

“She’s got you trapped, huh?” Taeyeon let go of her hand before finally pulling the taller girl in for a hug.

 

“I always hated how clever that girl was,” Sooyoung chuckled again in relief, relief from the feeling of warmth and comfort she got from the shorter girl.

 

And she’d never say it out loud, but because of Taeyeon’s height, she was reminded of Sungmin or rather, Sunny in that embrace.

 

---

 

Once she saw her opportunity, Tiffany took a seat beside Sunny.

 

Being the last to find out anything was always a bad feeling, but after hearing how everyone else found out by accident, Tiffany only felt stupid instead of angry towards Sunny.

 

“You got me,” she whispered to Sunny, “I had absolutely no idea.”

 

Sunny was too occupied thinking about the chords to her final song that she didn’t notice Tiffany creeping up beside her. She almost jumped and squealed, but managed to keep it down.

 

When she turned to Tiffany, it only hit her then that the younger girl had probably only found out recently as well. She immediately felt guilty, until she was surprised to see that Tiffany didn’t look mad at all. She was smiling, actually. That infamous eye smile of hers that Taeyeon fell in love with.

 

“I’m so sorry for not telling you sooner,” Sunny whispered back, her lips forming a pout to appease Tiffany. “I was just so caught up in everything, I didn’t realize that…”

 

Tiffany placed a finger over Sunny’s lips before letting out a small giggle, “Soonkyu, don’t worry about it. I totally understand. And to be honest, I’m just really, really happy to have you back.”

 

The two shared a heart warming embrace and Sunny felt a splash of relief wash over her. Even the smallest gestures of support from any friend can make anything feel better.

 

“Just make it up to me by treating Taeyeon and I to ice cream, okay?” Tiffany added as they broke the hug. Sunny let out a sigh before nodding, “Good.”

 

Two acts later, Hyoyeon called up her crew and they made their way quietly towards the backstage. Before leaving though, Hyoyeon, Yuri and Yoona received good luck kisses from their girlfriends while Sunny received a small good luck kick from Tiffany.

 

It was almost time for the close act.

 

The group quickly got dressed before practicing the routine once. Sooyoung soon joined them from behind the stage, already dressed as well.

 

“Did you do your stretches already?” Hyoyeon asked as she patted Sooyoung on the back. She had asked with her commander voice, but her eyes were soft as she looked at Sooyoung with empathy.

 

“Yeah,” Sooyoung answered quickly with a small smile, “Don’t worry about me, we got this.”

 

“Did you hear that everyone?” Hyoyeon yelled out, turning to the rest of her group, “We totally got this! We’re going to win this competition hands down!!”

 

Taeyeon got on stage after the second last act finished. The lights were dim and she looked out at the darkened audience for the last time in her high school career.

 

“Tonight has been a lot of fun, huh guys?” she said into her microphone, laughing a little at the very enthusiastic response. “Before we get to the final act, I’d like to thank all of our performers for giving us a great show! Come on!”

 

The audience erupted into the earth moving applause they’ve been giving all night and Taeyeon pretended she lost her balance from the force, causing some laughter throughout the crowd.

 

“As you guys know, this is my last year here and I couldn’t be happier to end my performances on this stage. I’d also like to thank the teachers and student volunteers who made all this possible to begin with!” she paused for another applause, this time clapping herself.

 

“As with every year, the winner of the talent show will be announced on Monday during the morning’s announcements. So please, anticipate it! Anyway, I know you’ve all been waiting for this performance, our school’s very own dance group…The Chodings!!”

 

The lights instantly went off as Taeyeon scurried off stage and the dance group quickly made their way on it. Even in the dark they managed to fix their positions, having done the dance so many times that they could find their spot easily even while blindfolded.

 

The audience was still cheering, extremely excited for the dance group of the night. There had been a few smaller dance groups here and there, but this was the performance everyone was waiting for. Hyoyeon never disappointed.

 

Finally, the audience died down as a few blue lights illuminated the stage, giving the audience their first look at the group’s formation. They were all in a line, with Hyoyeon in the middle.

 

“Destroy the stage, babe!” Min screamed, causing the audience to laugh at Min’s aggressive tone.

 

After a few moments the music started and the dance group blew the audience away immediately. The music was hard and alternated between a large variety of tempos, causing for intricate and interesting dances and formations.

 

In the middle of the medley was a dance break for every member to show off their skills. From the freshmen members down to queen Hyoyeon, everyone in the audience was absolutely astonished by the performance before them.

 

At one point, Hyoyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung and Yuri had ripped their shirts a little to show off their bodies in a small group solo. They popped, locked and rolled their bodies, causing the audience to swoon.

 

Min was screaming the loudest, almost standing up from her chair and it took every fiber in her being to resist dancing along. Seohyun on the other hand was just clapping silently to herself, her face a bright red at having seen her girlfriend working the stage so…nicely. Jessica however, was snarling at all the fans around them who were ogling her girlfriend’s body.

 

The five or so minutes of their performance was final over and the final lighting was a spotlight over a hilarious final pose that emphasized the title of their crew very well. Hyoyeon was almost laughing, so satisfied with her group’s performance. No one messed up!

 

Although the lighting was a little unflattering, showing off their sweaty bodies and all, the audience nor the dancers didn’t care at all. The sweat only showed off how hard they worked and their panting only emphasized that fact more.

 

Hyoyeon grabbed a mic from Sooyoung who just received it from Taeyeon and screamed into it, “THANK YOU EVERYONE!!”

 

The audience clapped loud, their applause shaking the building again and almost everyone had stood up for a standing ovation. The group bowed together and said their thank yous before walking off stage, leaving Sooyoung.

 

She was glistening with sweat and was still a little out of breath.

 

“Now before you guys all go, we got a special request from a performer to do one more song.”

 

It surprised her how easy it was for her to say that. Maybe she didn’t want to seem too vulnerable in front of the audience? Or maybe she was still caught up in her dancing moment, but she still had some charisma despite her body’s uncertain spirit.

 

She turned to the side, looking for Sunny but the girl wasn’t there having quickly left to change.

 

“Um,” she took a deep breath while her insides were yelling at her not to say the things she was about to say, but she didn’t listen. She didn’t want to listen to what her mind was telling her anymore, not after her heart had been screaming at her all night to listen to it and to the person she loved most.

 

“This performer was in a lot of acts actually and should probably be banned from having performed so much, but she practically begged us to do this so we let it happen. He…Um, she isn’t short of talent so I’m sure we will all enjoy her final performance. I’m not even really sure what it is, but I assume it will be great and that you’ll all enjoy it a lot!”

 

“You’re babbling,” a voice came out, startling Sooyoung in her spot.

 

The audience already started clapping, having recognized that brave voice that had been heard so many times that night.

 

“You always babble when you’re nervous and yet you were just dancing so confidently,” a small laughed escaped Sunny’s lips, which caused Sooyoung to shiver. She could feel the goosebumps form on her arm and the feeling only intensified when Sunny grabbed her free hand.

 

“Hey guys, it’s me again. Thanks for the introduction, Sooyoung,” Sunny nodded at the girl before squeezing her hand.

 

Sooyoung still felt tingles along her spine and didn’t want to let go of Sunny’s hand and the warmth and familiarity of it. The feeling was so foreign yet so familiar and she wanted nothing but to keep holding on. But she had to go off stage and she had to listen to Sunny’s song.

 

“This song wasn’t written by me,” Sunny started, strumming the guitar in her hands while looking out at the audience. “It’s actually a song by a popular boy band that the girl I love likes. It’s actually one of her favourite songs and I actually used to sing it for her a lot. I’m not sure if she still remembers those moments and I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s trying to forget them now. But I’m stubborn and I want her to never forget them, never forget these lyrics and to never forget me. This is called Don’t Go by Exo.”

 

Sunny began to strum out the melody as she took a deep breath to compose herself. This was it, this was her last stand and her last chance to get her feelings across accurately. And while her heart clenched in her chest and her eyes threatened to burst into tears, she kept herself calm and collected.

 

 

[Tongue Tied Playlist: Don't Go by Exo]

 

The small fluttering of your wings seemed like it was telling me to follow you
The sad eyes and tacit stories in your heart that night in which the whirlwind was raging

 

I was mesmerized by the mysterious you and stared at you and had my one soul stolen
Because I am completely drunk at your movements, I even forgot how to breathe

 

 

Sooyoung stood frozen in her spot, her hands tightly gripping onto her shirt as Sunny said the title of the song so effortlessly and began to sing it. This was the song that Sungmin used to sing her to sleep sometimes and the song that Sungmin would sing when she was feeling a little down. 

 

 

She remembered when she first told him about the song and he rolled his eyes at the mention of the boy group. But he still listened to the song and even learned the lyrics for her, because she liked it so much.

 

 

She knew the meaning behind Sunny singing it now and she could almost laugh at how effective the choice was. Her head was overflowing with memories and she was already crying again.

 


Like a waltz, I sit lightly and can’t take my eyes off of you
My eyes naturally follow you every time you walk

 

 

Sunny only pretended to not care about that boy group when in actuality, this was one of her favourite songs too. Cheesy ballads were one of a boy group’s specialties, but this song really rang true for her. She has always been and always will be captivated by Sooyoung, by everything she is, by everything she does, and by everything she reminds Sunny of.

 

 

Guide me yeah take me together with you to the place where you live
Oh even if the world ends, I’ll follow from behind you so please don’t go out of my sight
Even when the morning comes, don’t disappear oh
This walk that I’m dreaming
You’re my only beautiful butterfly

 

 

The love that surged in her heart almost ached. It was pouring out of her through the lyrics, through each strum of the guitar and yet it didn’t seem like it was making her body feel any lighter. There was just so much and Sunny could only hope that it was properly reaching Sooyoung, penetrating through her stubborn outlook and reminding her of who she was and how much she wanted her.

 

 

The same song that Sungmin sang for her, the same song that meant so much for the two of them, it would mean the same thing for Sunny and Sooyoung as well.

 

 

Wherever you came from, or wherever you’re going, up until now you always kindly greet me
A steep climb, the cliffs that cut off, don’t worry because there is no place to be afraid of

 

 

The first time they met, Sooyoung constantly about her height even though she was only an inch taller. And when Sooyoung grew even more every day, Sunny never seemed to catch up.

 

 

When they hung out, Sunny always lagged behind Sooyoung because the girl would be a little faster with her longer legs. And Sooyoung would laugh, telling Sunny that she’d never grow if she kept being caught in the shadow of her body, she needed sun after all. Sunny would just push her over and then Sooyoung would jump on her back, demanding a ride.

 

 

They bickered, a lot, but they always loved each other and honestly, they got along the best despite their differences.

 

 

Your elegant figure oh I fall for it many times
Like this love, without even me knowing, comes and finds me unexpectedly
Like a waltz, I sit lightly and can’t take my eyes off of you
My eyes naturally follow you every time you walk

 

 

Sunny never let it show, or at least she thinks she never let it show, but the second she saw Sooyoung again after all this time she almost fainted. The wind was knocked out of her chest and she hated Sooyoung for a second for becoming so beautiful without warning. It had been three years after all, but Sunny didn’t think it was possible for the girl to become even more beautiful. It was unfair.

 

 

But she was with Taeyeon then and she was in love with her at the moment, so she couldn’t let Sooyoung’s attractiveness overwhelm her too much.

 

 

And then they started dating and Sunny had all of Sooyoung to herself. Her pretty face, her big eyes, her cute nose and her irresistible lips. Her long limbs that trapped her, that wrapped around her body and made her feel like she was at home. The crook of her neck that always had room for her head and most importantly, her large hands that always had room for her own.

 

 

Guide me yeah take me together with you to the place where you live
Oh even if the world ends, I’ll follow from behind you so please don’t go out of my sight
Even when the morning comes, don’t disappear oh
This walk that I’m dreaming
You’re my only beautiful butterfly

 

 

The chorus came along again and Sunny could feel the tears streaming down her face. It was itchy and a little cold but she didn’t have the time to wipe her face and she was hoping it’d stop on its own.

 

 

She was completely vulnerable in front of the audience again and she could feel herself shaking, so overwhelmed by her emotions.

 

 

But the audience was oozing with support, especially her friends in front. No one was crying this time, everyone only looking at her with a smile, appreciating her putting her heart on her sleeve for everyone to see. She only hoped that Sooyoung appreciated it too.

 

 

Even if we wander in unfamiliar places, even if we get lost
I’ll follow my heart that’s more honest than anyone else’s
Because I can’t resist your quiet movements that strike me, and your sharp and soft gaze

 

 

Sunny’s voice got louder as she sang the bridge passionately. She was glad the song wasn’t too high because she knows that she might make her voice crack, getting so emotionally invested in her song.

 

 

 

She finally grabbed the courage to turn to the side and she immediately made eye contact with Sooyoung, her knees feeling weak in turn.

 

 

Sooyoung felt time stop, her eyes connecting with Sunny. The image before her, of Sunny crying, of Sunny singing her heart out, of Sunny looking so vulnerable, of Sunny looking so unbelievably beautiful breaking down before her.

 

 

And then Sunny’s face became Sungmin’s and Sooyoung closed her eyes, seeing him in her head again. She saw his sweet caresses, his loving holds, his embraces, his words of love and she almost fell to the floor, overwhelmed by everything.

 

 

And then it happened. She saw Sungmin transform into Sunny. His words became Sunny’s, his actions became Sunny’s and she realized it then, there really wasn’t a difference.

 

 

Sunny was Sungmin. There was no more denying it and she broke down crying, sobbing and hurting so much because while she had finally acknowledged her true feelings, she felt guilty of making Sunny go through all this pain when she should’ve just accepted it all along.

 

 

Take me yeah take me together with you to the place where you live
Oh even if the world ends, I’ll follow you
Oh no don’t go out of my sight
Even when the morning comes, don’t disappear oh
A small wave of your hand makes a whirlwind strike in my heart

 

 

Sunny finished the song calmly, her tears finally having stopped while her voice resonated through the auditorium. She closed her eyes as she received applause for the millionth time that night. She placed a hand on her heart and waited for it to calm down.

 

 

In the midst of calming herself down however, she missed the gasp of the audience as someone tackled her out of no where and she hit the ground just as the curtain closed.

 

 

“S-Sooyoung?” Sunny stuttered, sniffling and looking up at the younger girl wide eyed. She was about to say more, but she was frozen by the tear stained face of the girl on top of her.

 

 

“Stop crying, silly,” she mumbled, smiling a little as she wiped the girl’s tears. “You know it-“

 

 

Sunny was cut off by the incredibly warm sensation of Sooyoung’s lips on her own. And soon, tears were coming out again as Sooyoung wrapped her arms around her neck and pulled her in closer, the two girls losing themselves in their lip lock. Sunny’s body filled with a lot of mixed emotions and she was so sure that she was going to burst. There was uncertainty and confusion, warmth and comfort, but most importantly, there was love and happiness and the feeling of being complete.

 

 

 

"I won't go."