Bring On The Holiday Cheer

Tongue Tied

Hyoyeon studied hard for her history test, so it wasn’t a surprise how easily she breezed through the whole thing. She was eager to finish the last essay question because it was Friday and after today, the winter break had begun.

 

She watched as Tiffany finished her test first and walked out of class. The girl was somehow a little out of it recently, but not in front of her friends. Hyoyeon noticed though, being the observant person she was. Everyone had been a bit weird all week but everyone was also busy that week so she hadn’t had the chance to interrogate anyone. She planned on talking to everyone as soon as they were all free to do so.

 

 

Just a few more sentences and she had finished the test. Running up to her teacher’s desk she slammed it on top and wished her teacher a good break before rushing out.

 

Hyoyeon was surprised to find no one in the hallways when she ran out. She swore that Tiffany had only finished five minutes before she had. With a defeated sigh she walked the hallway towards her locker.

 

 

While she packed her things she noticed Jessica in the corner of her eye. Ah yes, another person to talk to. Shoving her last needed textbook into her bag she made a run for her friend.

 

“Yah! Sica!” she half yelled, half whispered. Classes weren’t finished yet so she had to be careful not to get in trouble.

 

 

Jessica stopped immediately and turned around. She looked a little dazed but once she recognized Hyoyeon curled up into a wide smile.

 

“You guys got let out early too?” Hyoyeon asked once she caught up.

 

 

“Not exactly,” Jessica answered with a laugh, “We had a party and I decided that I didn’t really need to be in class anymore so I left.”

 

Hyoyeon nodded enthusiastically, “I finished my test as quickly as possible so I could get out of this place.” She placed her hands behind her head and quickened her pace, “Let’s hurry. I’ll treat you to some cake?”

 

 

Jessica’s expression brightened further at the mention of cake. She was always incredibly hungry after school. There were also no activities since it was break time.

 

“How could I say no to that?” Jessica replied ecstatically, also hurrying her pace.

 

 

Their speedwalking slowly turned into a race out the door. As their giggling got louder and louder, Hyoyeon swore that she heard a classroom door swing open. Luckily the two had ran out of the school in time.

 

---

 

 

Taeyeon was close to her teacher and insisted on helping clean up before the big break. Sungmin also offered his help and the two said their goodbyes before the teacher left them to clean.

 

“You excited about the break?” Sunny asked, her voice going back to normal as soon as the teacher stepped out.

 

 

Taeyeon nodded, “Of course. I can refocus and relax for a while.”

 

Sunny laughed, “You can sleep in too!”

 

 

Taeyeon sighed, “Unfortunately, that’s not exactly true.” She turned away from Sunny to furiously wipe the board.

 

“Seohyun?” Sunny guessed with a snort, picking up leftover trash.

 

 

“She’s a precious little sister, but I could do without the part of her that believes in a full breakfast everyday at 9 when I would rather sleep until lunch,” Taeyeon shook her head and reminisced over the days she could have spent sleeping in.

 

“I’ll sleepover more often then,” Sunny suggested, “That way you can be happier in the morning when you wake up next to me~!” She winked at Taeyeon and gave her some of her best aegyo.

 

 

“You wanna get hit?” Taeyeon responded with a light chuckle. Her face fell suddenly, “Sunny-ah, do you think we should stop with the playfulness? I can sometimes feel Sooyoung glaring holes into me.”

 

Sunny burst into laughter and almost hoppled over, “Are you serious? Sooyoungie’s so cute when she’s jealous.”

 

 

“How are you two anyway?” Taeyeon asked with a sly smile, “I heard you guys haven’t gone on another date since that first one.”

 

Ever since then Sooyoung had become a bit more shy and a bit more affectionate with Sungmin. Everyone noticed and probed them until they confessed their little date. It was just food for the most part but it was a date nonetheless. Sooyoung was expecting to be taken out again but with the busy week it hadn’t had a chance to happen yet.

 

 

“This week was hectic but I do really think she wants another date soon,” Sunny thought as she leaned against a desk, “I can see it in her eyes every time we hang out at practice.”

 

“She complains about it  a lot,” Taeyeon proclaimed with an amused expression, “We’ve gotten closer since we started running the talent show together so she’s become much more comfortable with me.” She smiled widely at the thought of their many talks while sorting out stuff for the show. “She’d get upset for me for being so close to you then the next second she’d ask for advice.”

 

 

“Advice?” Sunny asked out loud, “Like what?”

 

Taeyeon stuck her tongue out at her best friend, “Like how she should never wear heels with you.”

 

 

Sunny pouted, “Ahhh~ Don’t say stuff like that! Sungmin isn’t confident about this height.”

 

The two shared a laugh and talked about how comical it was to see a boyfriend that was much shorter than her girlfriend. Then Taeyeon paused.

 

 

“Wait a second, you guys aren’t serious or anything, right?” Taeyeon asked with her eyes wide, “She’s going to find out if you guys…”

 

Sunny was really close to throwing a chair at Taeyeon in embarrassment, “Hold on a second! We only went on one date! You Byuntaeng, what are you thinking?” She could feel her face heating up, “I don’t even know if I like her all that much.”

 

 

“Yah!” Taeyeon replied fiercely, “Sungmin better not just be playing around. Sooyoung is my donsaeng and precious friend. Don’t go hurting her!”

 

Sunny pouted and slouched her shoulders, “Taengoo-ah, you know I’d never do that. I was just…nevermind.”

 

 

Taeyeon glared at Sunny before sticking her tongue out showing her that she wasn’t actually mad. “Just take care of her?”

 

Sunny nodded, “Don’t worry too much, Taengoo-ah. Anyway, while we’re talking so deeply, why don’t you update me on you and Jessica? I thought after breaking up that you guys would become a thing?”

 

 

Taeyeon finished wiping the boards and let out a deep sigh before leaning on the teacher’s podium, “You girls need to leave us be.” She dragged out her last word and rested her head on top of the podium.

 

Sunny didn’t respond and only approached her friend. When Taeyeon was ready, she looked up at Sunny with a weak smile.

 

 

“We actually haven’t spoken all week except for the occasional exchange at lunch. Neither of us have texted each other either. I know she’s waiting for me, but I’m waiting for her too,” she put her head down again and rubbed her face into her arms. “There’s something else going on too, with Tiffany but I think I might just be imagining things.”

 

“Damn it Taengoo,” Sunny said while shaking her head, “You and that blasted Love Triangle thing. I knew you and Tiffany seemed a little bit closer lately too.”

 

 

“You and Yoona are too observant you know? Seohyun and her keep talking about it too.”

 

Sunny laughed, “She takes after me, you know? But that kid is much more…annoying about it. She keeps asking me about Sooyoung too. A very, very curious kid.”

 

 

“She’s just concerned about us. Besides, only some of you guys find that cute voice she uses to be annoying,” Taeyeon smiled and recalled the adorable aegyo filled voice.

 

“It really puzzles me how you don’t want to push her down a staircase when she uses that voice,” Sunny said disappointed. “Anyway, back to topic, so what the hell is going on with you and Sica again and with you and Fany?”

 

 

The two finished up cleaning the room before turning off the lights and closing the door behind them to lock. As they walked down the empty hallway holding hands, Taeyeon decided to finally answer.

 

“It’s just awkward, I guess? One of us is waiting for the other to make the move, I think. And with Fany,” she paused and sighed again, “I told her that I used to like her and I don’t know something changed after that.”

 

 

Sunny narrowed her eyes and took a moment to think, “Do you think she?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head furiously and opened the school doors for the two of them, “It’s impossible.”

 

 

“Ice cream?” Sunny suggested. They often went out for the frozen treat despite the cold weather since it was Taeyeon’s favourite. In fact, they were likely to meet up with some of the other girls at the same place.

 

Taeyeon nodded as if it were the most obvious answer.

 

 

“Anyway,” Sunny started as the two departed for their after school adventure. Taeyeon’s steps were already a little lighter at the prospect of icecream despite her heavy discussion with Sunny. She then let go of Sunny’s hand with the thought that Sooyoung could see them and get passive aggressive or more, violent.

 

“Don’t tell me it’s not impossible, Sunny. She never ever, and I mean ever talks about girls the way she talks about boys and she’s never had a crush on one either. We’ve known each other for a long time. We all know I like ‘anything with a ’”, she rolls her eyes and does the air quotes and Sunny can’t help but snicker, “Jessica hasn’t shown interest in anyone except me, and I even found that surprising, Yuri has had both boyfriends and girlfriends, Hyoyeon’s only had one boyfriend but she’s mentioned crushes on her seniors in the dance crew, Yoona is liked by everyone and she seems to like everyone too, Sooyoung is straight I think, I don't ever recall her having a crush on a girl, and Seohyun likes sweet potatoes.”

 

 

Sunny tried her best to keep a straight face with the last comment and continued. “What makes you so sure, Taengoo? uality is pretty fluid you know. You could be like, her exception if Tiffany is that boy crazy. You guys have been friends since forever, I wouldn’t be surprised if she had some kind of feelings for you.”

 

Taeyeon shivered and held her face in her hands, “I just don’t want to get my hopes up.”

 

 

“So what, Taengoo? You going to go ask Sica to be your girlfriend again or are you going to try to ask Fany out?” Sunny was going to get a head ache from all this drama, but she was going to stick it out for her friend.

 

“I think I’m going to finally talk to Sica,” Taeyeon said with a little uncertainty, “We were in love first and we might still be in love now and I think we need to talk things though.”

 

 

They could now see the icecream shop a block away and quickened their pace so they could be warm sooner than later.

 

“Besides, Fany is just a feeling. I need to give it more time,” Sunny could see the confusion in Taeyeon’s eyes and wished that it didn’t have to be so complicated. While she was having fun being a guy and kind of dating Sooyoung, her friend was torn between two.

 

 

“Maybe we shouldn’t have broken up,” Sunny said with a light chuckle, “Then things wouldn’t be so complicated?” She knew that it wasn’t really the best idea, but she remembered things being much more fun.

 

“No, it’s really nice seeing Sooyoung that happy and honestly, I needed to deal with these feelings first anyway. If we did happen to be romantically in love, we would have fought about all this,” Taeyeon then made a run for the door and held it open for her oppa. “Now let’s eat some icecream!”

 

 

But before the two dug into their purchased treat, a familiar voice rang.

 

“Mind if I eat with you two?”

 

 

---

 

Yoona and Sooyoung had gone with Seohyun home to discuss the upcoming Christmas celebration. They decided to do it a couple of days before the actual day so their rush hour Kris Kringle was busy and challenging, but not overly crowded.

 

They were sitting at the dinner table, Seohyun with a paper with ideas and Sooyoung and Yoona consuming all the snacks that were laid out for them.

 

“So after the rush hour Kris Kringle, we can come back here and wrap up our presents then exchange them. And after, we’ll watch a Christmas movie while Taeyeon unnie, Hyoyeon unnie, Yuri unnie and I prepare dinner with my parents. After dinner, we’ll turn on Hyoyeon unnie and Yuri unnie’s mix tapes and dance and then after-“

Yoona placed a hand on Seohyun’s as she furiously wrote down her points, “Hyunnie, it’s okay. It doesn’t have to be perfect or anything.”

 

“But Taeyeon unnie put me in charge of this,” it was Sooyoung’s turn to interrupt as she placed a hand on top of Yoona’s.

 

“It’s fine Seohyun, the order and stuff doesn’t matter as long as we’re all together, right? Let’s just pick a meal, and decide on decorations and pick movies and other details,” Sooyoung reassured, smiling widely.

 

An hour passed and the three finalized most of the details. Luckily, all the girls had similar enough tastes for the decisions to not take too much time.

 

“Can we please put up mistle toe?” Sooyoung begged, her hands folded together.

 

“You just want to kiss Sungmin oppa,” Yoona teased and burst into laughter as soon as Sooyoung turned a pretty shade of red.

 

“If you really want, then sure unnie,” Seohyun answered as she wrote the word down for the list of decorations they needed.

 

“What if you meet someone else under the mistle toe,” Yoona asked casually as she took a sip of her tea.

 

“I’ll just kiss them on the cheek,” Sooyoung answered smoothly with a shrug, “It’s not like we haven’t don’t that before.”

 

Seohyun nodded and Yoona leaned in to kiss her on the cheek, “Oh yeah, we do do that hehe.”

 

Seohyun was caught off guard and did her best not to act flustered. Sooyoung found the sight of a pink Seohyun and chuckling Yoona to be very charming.

 

“Um, so I thought that it would be fun to dress up,” Seohyun brought up after her blush had faded. “I was thinking of dressing up in pairs, like matching outfits or a couple theme or something, just for as bit of extra fun.”

 

Yoona smiled at Seohyun’s innocent suggestion that could make for an interesting night.

 

“But there’s nine of us,” Sooyoung said with a frown, “Don’t tell me you forgot Sungmin oppa because I want to dress up with him.”

 

Seohyun giggled at Sooyoung’s concern, “Of course I didn’t forget! I’m going to be dressing up on my own so the rest of you can pair up.”

 

Yoona did her best to not frown in disappointment of not getting to dress up with Seohyun again. She did her best to be strong and not give her a reason to be concerned.

 

“So what do you think?” she asked hopeful, her eyes sparkling.

 

“I’m down with it,” Sooyoung responded simply.

 

“It’s a great idea Hyunnie, let’s do it,” Yoona also agreed, pulling in her friend for a nice hug.

 

Another hour passed and the girls decided to call in a night. The day for celebrating was only three days away and they were very excited for it. Holidays were always the most fun when properly planned and spent together.

 

As Sooyoung and Yoona walked together, Sooyoung elbowed her fellow long limbed friend.

 

“So when are you going to take our innocent maknae’s flower?” she asked with a completely straight face.

 

Yoona almost collapsed at the embarrassment and ridiculousness of the question, “Unnie! I can’t believe you just asked that.” The cold winter air suddenly felt like a sauna. As she shook her head, she decided to turn the tables. “So when is Sungmin oppa going to take your flower?” She asked slyly.

 

Sooyoung blushed even harder than Yoona did and hit her shorter friend, “Fine! I won’t joke about Seohyun with you.”

 

Yoona smirked at her victory, “So when are you two going to go out again?” She wanted to ask Sooyoung how she knew about her feelings but she felt it’d be more appropriate to just take the attention away from herself.

 

Sooyoung’s blush didn’t fade but Yoona noticed that her steps were a bit lighter, “He texted me earlier actually asking me if I was free for lunch tomorrow~”

 

“Don’t get pregnant now, Unnie,” Yoona teased, but only received another slap to her shoulder.

 

---

 

“Yuri!” Taeyeon exclaimed in surprise, “I’m sorry we didn’t see you earlier. Of course, come sit with us.”

 

She scooted aside and let Yuri sit down next to her. The girl ordered the same thing as they did. It was the house special anyway.

 

“How was your last day?” Sungmin asked right away, “You excited for Christmas?”

 

Yuri nodded enthusiastically, “Of course! Christmas is great, but don’t forget we still have practice.”

 

Sunny groaned and Yuri just laughed, “We can’t get lazy not, Sungmin oppa.”

 

The three talked about their last day of school and finished their icecream rather quickly.

 

“I have a confession to make,” Yuri said as she pushed aside her empty bowl and turned to Taeyeon who was happily her spoon. “I knew you guys were going to be here.”

 

Sunny just giggled, “I think everyone in this neighbourhood knows that Taeyeon comes here often.” Taeyeon kicked her best friend from under the table and Yuri laughed at the comment.

 

“Anyway,” Yuri continued, her voice immediately going into serious mode. It caught Sunny and Taeyeon off guard and they almost flinched, “I wanted to ask Taeyeon for permission.”

 

“Permission?” Taeyeon asked, completely confused. What could she possibly be asking for? “If it’s the talent show, you can not exceed your time! Hyoyeon has asked me a thousand times and we’re not giving in.”

 

Yuri shook her head, “No, I mean, it’s not that.” She leaned into closer to Taeyeon and made sure that they kept each other’s gaze. “I wanted to ask permission to court Jessica.”

 

Sunny who took a drink at the time spat out all of her rootbeer, “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to that was just…”

 

“Excuse me?” Taeyeon asked a little dumbfounded, “I mean, I’m kind of glad you asked but it’s not like Jessica is my property or anything. You can court her all you want.”

 

Yuri shook her head, “No but you guys have a history and I know you still like her. I just needed to ask you first because I don’t want to ruin our friendship.”

 

Taeyeon’s confused expression quickly melted into a smile, “I’m glad you’re being so considerate, like usual but honestly do whatever you want, Yuri.”

 

“Since when did you start liking Jessica?” Sunny then butted in, “That is if you don’t mind my asking.”

 

Taeyeon sat back to think while Yuri turned her attention to her ex.

 

“A long time, more than a month,” Yuri shrugged, “I didn’t really count it, but for a long time I’ve had feelings for her but I always felt like I shouldn’t get caught up or break up Taengsic.”

 

Taeyeon snorted, “Why did Taengsic start to begin with? We sound like some sort of candy, or I don’t know.”

 

Yuri pouted, feeling like she didn’t get a satisfying enough answer, “Seriously though Taeng, is it okay?”

 

Sunny looked at Taeyeon who honestly looked a little frazzled at the question and the news.

 

“Honestly,” she began, looking Yuru sincerely in the eyes, “I want to talk to her first about us, if you don’t mind.”

 

Yuri nodded slowly in understanding, “Alright, Taeng.”

 

“I wanted to meet with her tomorrow, so after then you can pursue her,” Taeyeon said slowly. But after playing back what she just said in her head, she laughed a little. “This is really weird.”

 

Yuri laughed a little too, “I’m sorry if it seems sudden, but it’s true and I just wanted to make sure it was okay.”

 

Taeyeon pulled in the taller girl for a hug, “You go after her, okay? Do your best. I know you two would make a great couple.”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t help but feel a bit of bitterness in her words and hoped that Yuri didn’t notice. After a few more minutes, Yuri got up to leave for home and Sunny eyed Taeyeon.

 

“So you’re going to go after the Tiffany point in the triangle then, I assume?” she brought up innocently. Taeyeon just threw a ball of napkin at her blonde friend.

 

---

 

“Christmas is coming up,” Hyoyeon changed their topic of school after talking about it for an hour at the local café. The two girls were happily chatting and eating cake. Hyoyeon wanted to tlak about something specific and hoped that it would come out naturally.

 

“Yeah,” Jessica responded simply before taking another bite of her cake, “I’m excited about the party and that rush hour Kris Kringle thing. It sounds like it’s going to be a huge mess.”

 

“Probably,” Hyoyeon replied with a laugh, “And I bet you’re gonna hate the actual shopping since it won’t be for you.”

 

Jessica stuck her tongue out, “Yah! That’s not true. I think it’ll be fun and interesting, as long as I don’t have to run across the mall for

the present, I’m fine.”

 

Hyoyeon chuckled at Jessica’s expected response before playing with the food on her plate.

 

“So, who do you expect to find under the mistletoe? Taeyeon or Yuri?”

 

Jessica dropped her chopsticks in response to Hyoyeon’s question, surprised by the mention of Yuri.

 

“Girl, please, with a reaction like that you basically told me I’m right,” Hyoyeon smiled victoriously and winked at the still gaping girl, “The tension between you two has increased ten fold.”

 

Jessica whined as she shoved a strawberry into , “No one else noticed right? You guys aren’t talking about it behind our backs or anything? Taeyeon didn’t find out right? Right?”

 

Hyoyeon waved her hands around to get the girl to calm down, “No no, fortunately for you, not all of the girls are as brilliant as Hyoyeon here.”

 

Jessica kicked Hyoyeon from under the table which only made Hyoyeon laughed louder.

 

The two then received a mass text from Seohyun informing them about the dressing up part of the Christmas party. Hyoyeon received a text right after from Yoona.

 

Let’s be partners? Im and Kim Choding forever captain.

 

Let’s be dinosaurs.

 

Isn’t that Yuri unnie’s thing?

 

So? She'll live. Let’s just wear our matching dinosaur kigurumis we bought for each other last Christmas?

 

Haha, alright! Sounds good!

 

You’re not dressing up with maknae?

 

No, she has some sort of surprise outfit for Christmas.

 

Oh? I hope you’re ready for it Yoona.

 

Shut up.

 

“Sorry, Sica. I was just setting up with Yoona our matching outfits,” Hyoyeon said as she put her cellphone away. “Now are you partnering up with Taeyeon or Yuri?”

 

Jessica pouted and gave Hyoyeon her best anger stare, “Enough! I’m just going to ask Tiffany, in case you forgot that I’m also close with her.”

 

“Are you in an affair with her too?” Hyoyeon asked seriously before laughing again at Jessica’s assaults from under the table. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

 

“Hmph!”

 

“Don’t be like that~” Hyoyeon cooed while twirling her hair, “I know you can’t stay mad at me for long.”

 

Jessica sighed, “Just order me another slice of cake and I’ll forgive you.”

 

Hyoyeon chuckled and ordered another slice for the princess.

 

“Anyway, I don’t think Tiffany is going to be available,” Hyoyeon muttered with a shrug, “She and Taeng seem to be growing closer.”

 

“You noticed that too?” Jessica responded a little light heartedly, “Do you think something is going on with them?”

 

“Why don’t you just talk to them? They’re your best friends, right?” Hyoyeon feigned being offended, “You never call me your best friend.”

 

 

“Yah! Hyoyeon, you know you’re my best friend too,” Jessica smiled at the friend sitting across from her. “Besides, you’re already paired with Yoona.”

 

“What makes you think I would’ve asked you, Sica? You’re not as fun as Yoona,” Hyoyeon joked, enjoying the annoyed reaction she got from Jessica.

 

Jessica then got a text from Taeyeon.

 

Hey, you free for lunch tomorrow?

 

“Taeyeon?” Hyoyeon guessed based on Jessica’s surprised reaction.

 

“She hasn’t talked to me in a week and now she’s texting me,” Jessica mumbled as she replied.

 

Oh, you’re alive?

 

“Hey, did you text her first ever this week?” Jessica shook her head, “I thought so.”

 

Yah, don’t be like that T-T

 

I was just kidding, Taengoo. Yeah, I’m free. Are you treating me to lunch?

 

Sigh~ Fine, I’ll treat you, but yeah, lunch? I’ll go to your house at 12?

 

Sounds good! We better eat somewhere nice.

 

Of course, the finest for you.

 

Jessica could feel herself lighting up. Despite her confusion with Yuri, she knew that her feelings for Taeyeon remained strong. They

were just talking about having lunch and she felt her heart beating faster. She wondered if she still had that effect on Taeyeon.

 

“You guys have a date tomorrow, I’m guessing? Your smile is sickening me,” Hyoyeon teased, leaning forward while she watched Jessica put the phone away.

 

“Shut up, Kim Hyoyeon,” Jessica gave her a warning look before going back to eating her cake.