Internal Struggle

Tongue Tied

Sunny jerked awake from the sudden impact of pillows and the feeling of two new bodies on the bed. She panicked since she wasn’t wearing a binder to bed and her well-endowed body could easily give her away. She sank deeper under the covers and shook her best friend who seemed to be unaffected.

 

That was until Hyoyeon landed a direct hit onto Taeyeon’s face while Yuri hit her on the side of her head. She groaned and opened her eyes to meet the excited ones of Yuri and Hyoyeon. She wasn’t surprised at all. Yoona was focusing on Sunny and failed to notice the warning glare she was giving her.

 

 

Taeyeon was tapped again on the shoulder by her best friend and turned to see Sunny’s eyes filled with panic. It hit her suddenly and she jumped out of bed and with all her might pulled on the sheets so that their attackers would flip over.

 

She succeeded and Yoona, Yuri, and Hyoyeon all hit the ground with a loud thud. Apparently it didn’t hurt for they were still in giggle fits. Taeyeon placed the blanket carefully on Sunny and ran to her door to open it for the jokers.

 

 

“Guys!” she yelled, trying to think of a reason to kick out the girls. “Sungmin uh, Sungmin doesn’t want you guys to uh…” She looked to the bed for help but Sunny just shrugged.

 

Yoona’s eyes lit up however, “Oh! That!” she made a disgusted expression and pointed inconspicuously at her crotch area.

 

 

Yuri and Hyoyeon’s eyes widened and Taeyeon turned red upon realizing what Yoona was saying. It was an idea, after all.

 

“Oh! Sorry, we’ll leave you two love birds alone,” Hyoyeon piped up before pushing her two friends out of the door.

 

 

When Taeyeon closed the door she burst into laughter until she was stopped by a pillow to the face. Sunny was beet red.

 

“I’m going to kill that Im Yoona!” she cried from her bed before burying herself in the covers once more.

 

 

---

 

Seohyun had woken up an hour earlier to start preparing her beloved unnies breakfast. Her parents left early for work so she was left with the responsibility to cook. She didn’t mind at all since her friends really enjoyed her cooking and she enjoyed making them happy. The eggs and bacon were waiting happily on the table while Seohyun finished up cooking pancakes and cutting fruit. Aside from the noisy bunch upstairs, the rest of the girls were snoring peacefully in the living room.

 

 

She heard footsteps storm down the stairs and turned to see Yoona running towards her for a hug.

 

“It smells good, Hyunnie!” she complimented while nuzzling her cheek against Seohyun.

 

 

“Thank you,” Seohyun replied with a shy nod.

 

 

“Want us to wake up the rest of them?” Yuri asked while shoving a piece of cantaloupe in . Hyoyeon was smirking while stuffing her face with a piece of bacon next to her, but Seohyun didn’t suspect anything or see the pillows that were held in the other girls’ hands.

 

 

“Ah yes, thank you!” Seohyun beamed, her smile almost melting her elders in their spot.

 

Yoona almost felt guilty for not telling Seohyun the method they were going to use to wake up their friends.

 

 

Tiptoeing, Hyoyeon, Yuri and Yoona all picked a remaining sleeping girl.

 

“I wonder if they’re dreaming,” Yuri whispered as she stared at her victim, Jessica who she was sure was going to freak out. “Actually, Hyoyeon switch with me.”

 

 

“No! It’s not my fault you picked Sica! You even came into the room first. You know she’s difficult to wake up,” Hyoyeon shook her head at Yuri’s foolishness but was glad that she wasn’t the one who had to deal with her.

 

Yuri looked over to Yoona who just shrugged at her with a smile. She cursed to herself. Why did she float over to Jessica first? There was an 80% chance that Jessica would wake up, take the pillow and have Yuri begging for mercy despite their difference in size.

 

 

“Okay guys, 3, 2, 1…” Yoona started them off, a wide smile on her face as she raised her the arm with the pillow.

 

“GOOD MORNING!!” the three screamed at once before simultaneously striking the sleeping girls with oversized pillows.

 

 

Tiffany was the first to react with a loud scream. Her body shot right up and her eyes met with the closed ones of Hyoyeon who was holding her stomach while falling over with laughter. She glared at the girl before easily pushing her over. She didn’t stop laughing.

 

“You’re so mean!” she whined with a pout.

 

 

Sooyoung howled as well and even rolled off the recliner. She growled after her body made impact with the floor and quickly got up to get her revenge. Yoona was too busy laughing to notice her.

 

“You should have seen your faces!” Yoona exclaimed, holding her stomach like the fallen Hyoyeon to her right.

 

 

Sooyoung took her chance to reach her arms out and start tickling the shorter girl. Yoona’s laugh just got louder as tears started streaming down her face.

 

“You think this is funny, huh?!” Sooyoung taunted as her hands tickled every spot on Yoona’s body.

 

 

Yoona couldn’t even find the breath to ask Sooyoung to stop and just kept laughing.

 

Jessica hissed after Yuri finally managed to wake her up. Yuri was about to back away but she decided to stay strong. She stuck her tongue out at Jessica and she glared in return.

 

 

“Kwon Yuri!!” She yelled before kicking Yuri away from her.

 

Not expecting the kick, Yuri lost her balance and fell to the floor. It was only a few seconds before Jessica grabbed the pillow and started beating the crap out of Yuri with the soft object.

 

 

Taeyeon and Sunny came down the stairs after Sunny put on her binder to find the chaos in the living room.

 

“It’s like they’re 10 years old,” Sunny joked as she giggled at the sight before her.

 

 

“More like five,” Taeyeon responded while shaking her head.

 

The two avoided the ruin that was Taeyeon’s living room and followed the smell of breakfast coming from the kitchen.

 

 

Seohyun was busy decorating nine plates of pancakes with fruits while happily singing a popular song at the time.

 

“Maldo mothaet neun geol, neomu bukkeureoweo haneun nan,” she cooed, placing the fruits she cut up on the pancakes in a pretty matter.

 

 

“Gee, gee, gee, gee, gee!” Sunny cried from her spot to get Seohyun’s attention.

 

She nearly dropped the strawberry in her hands when she turned to see her older sister and Sunny smiling at her.

 

 

“Good morning!” she said as her surprised expression melted into a smile. “Did you two have a good rest?”

 

Taeyeon smiled but her eyebrows dropped, “Yes, but we actually have news for everyone.”

 

 

Seohyun was moving the plates from the counter onto the table as she responded, “Oh, what is it? I hope it isn’t bad.”

 

“Actually,” Sunny started, placing her arm in Taeyeon’s to show their unified decision, “We’re breaking up.”

 

 

When Seohyun dropped the plate, the crash grabbed the attention of everyone in the living room. Taeyeon and Sunny rushed to help Seohyun pick up the fallen food.

 

“I’m sorry, we didn’t mean to surprise you like that!” Taeyeon apologized frantically as Seohyun kind of stared blankly while picking up the pieces of the plate.

 

 

“Did you guys fight?” Seohyun asked meekly, looking upset.

 

Sunny shook her head, “No, no, we just realized something last night.”

 

 

Yoona popped her head into the scene, “Ah! Hyunnie are you okay?” She rushed to the three girls on the floor and helped pick up the remains, “What a waste!”

 

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon followed after, “What’s happening?”

 

 

Yuri, Tiffany and Jessica were next. “What did you guys realize?” Jessica suddenly asked. Her hearing was impeccable.

 

Seohyun, Taeyeon, Sunny and Yoona finished picking up everything and all the girls were facing Sunny and Taeyeon.

 

 

“This feels like we’re having a divorce,” Sunny mumbled secretly to Taeyeon as she felt the burn of all the girls’ eyes.

 

“What’s wrong?” Tiffany asked, concern coated in her eyes.

 

 

Taeyeon heaved a sigh, “Don’t overreact okay? This was a mutual decision and nothing is going to change.”

 

The girls watched the couple in front of them carefully and Seohyun, who knew what was coming still looked as concerned as the other girls.

 

 

“We broke up,” Sungmin and Taeyeon rang at once. All the girls’ eyes opened really wide and their faces were a mix of confusion, anger and secret delight.

 

“Wait, what?” Yoona asked, gaping open in disbelief, “It’s been a week and you’re…?”

 

 

“Did Sungmin cheat on you Taengoo??!” Yuri growled in half anger and half confusion. She didn’t know what to think.

 

“No!” Taeyeon retorted, waving her hands and shaking her head, “No, he would never!! It’s just, last night after what you girls mentioned…”

 

 

“We tried to go further in our relationship and,” Sunny continued, not wanting to meet the eyes of her confused friends, “We realized that our relationship is completely platonic.”

 

Yuri nudged Hyoyeon, “This is your fault!” All the girls turned to Hyoyeon and she shook her head frantically.

 

 

“Hey! It’s not my fault their feelings aren’t romantic! I just gave them a push!” Hyoyeon defended, not looking too impressed with her friends’ accusation.

 

“Guys don’t look at Hyo like that,” Taeyeon interjected. She squeezed Sunny’s arm, “Sungmin is like my best friend and it just felt weird to be incredibly intimate with him, that’s it. We decided there was no future here for us so we broke up, okay? It’s no one’s fault.”

 

 

Sunny nodded, “We’ll still hang out and stuff, and we’re still good friends so let’s just move on, yah?”

 

The girls all nodded in unison and Yoona watched the ex-couple with disappointment. She was really rooting for them.

 

 

“Let’s eat now?” Taeyeon suggested, trying to move the mood away from them. They knew it was going to be a little tough.

 

“Yeah,” Seohyun replied with a small smile. The girls all took their plates and sat down at the kitchen table together.

 

 

The ate in silence and Sunny and Taeyeon exchanged worried silence.

 

“So does this mean Sungmin is available?” Hyoyeon asked, breaking the awkwardness. Taeyeon and Sungmin laughed.

 

 

“Are you interested, Hyoyeon-shi?” Sunny asked embarrassed.

 

“Naw, no offence Sungmin oppa but you’re just not my type,” Hyoyeon answered honestly, “I like my man to be taller than me.”

 

 

Sunny pouted and Taeyeon rubbed her back affectionately, “It’s okay oppa,” she joked while pushing a strawberry into .

“Did you guys really break up?” Tiffany then asked from across the table, “You two still act very affectionately.”

 

 

Taeyeon and Sunny sighed at once, “That’s the thing. We’re so close that we might as well have been in a relationship, but any further than this then there’s nothing but awkwardness.” Sungmin explained with some bacon in his mouth.

 

Jessica frowned, “That’s not sending a good message though, if you guys keep acting like this, how are we going to know you’re available?”

 

 

All the girls stared at Jessica and she immediately blushed. Yuri looked away, unsure about what she was feeling on the inside.

 

“Wait, are Taengsic going to get back together?” Hyoyeon asked excited.

 

 

It was Taeyeon’s turn to blush this time, “Wait a second, Taengsic?”

 

“It’s what Yoona called you guys,” Sooyoung explained, she was suspiciously quiet the whole time but no one paid much attention to it. She was eating after all.

 

 

“I called Sungmin oppa and you Sunyeon,” Yoona further explained after finishing her last pancake.

 

Taeyeon let out a light chuckle, “Those are cute names.”

 

 

The Taengsic question was left unanswered as Seohyun went into the topic of couple names in dramas and anime. Jessica and Taeyeon looked at each other, both asking the same question. But it was too soon to think about that.

 

Breakfast was done and the girls made plans for the rest of the day. Hyoyeon insisted on practicing for the show with Sooyoung and Sungmin and Yuri agreed. Jessica and Tiffany decided to stay at Taeyeon’s with Yoona as well.

 

 

“Have you guys been practicing on your own?” Hyoyeon asked as the jacket clad girls walked over to her house.

 

“Yes sir!” Sunny answered. Having finished her homework early often and with Taeyeon so busy she used a lot of her spare time dancing. Her and Sooyoung would practice together after tutoring sessions too.

 

 

Sunny and Hyoyeon were the only ones talking as Yuri was clearly distracted as well as Sooyoung. Yuri was watching her feet as they walked and thought meticulously of the feelings she had when Jessica and Taeyeon exchanged glances at breakfast.

 

Ever since she started modelling for Jessica she felt that maybe she had feelings for her. But it wasn’t something major or anything that she paid attention to. Senior year was going by so quickly and she was so busy that she never gave it much thought. Not to mention that Jessica had been alone this whole time as well.

 

 

She knew Jessica still had feelings for Taeyeon though. Everyone knew of that but they didn’t work out and they knew it would be risky to try again. Yuri always hoped that they’d both move on so the topic wouldn’t be there anymore, but the reality was, they really loved each other.

 

As her feelings grew stronger she contemplated asking Jessica out after one of their modelling sessions. She knew Jessica had some sort of attraction to her, at least aesthetically considering her admiration for her body and love of drawing it for practice. But she knew she could never compare to Taeyeon. They were two different people.

 

 

But she knew she was jealous. That’s it, she was feeling jealous because the threat of Taeyeon and Jessica getting back together.

But Taeyeon was one of her best friends and she knew that if they wanted to try again, she couldn’t get in the way. But she knew that they wouldn’t want her to hide her feelings for their sake either.

 

It was complicated and it was driving her crazy.

 

 

Sooyoung on the other hand was feeling extra self-conscious now that Sungmin was available. How soon was too soon to make a move? Should she be the one to ask him out, or should she show her interest and wait for him to ask her out? Would Taeyeon even be okay with it? Would their group be okay with it? Little to her knowledge, her crush on him was obvious to everyone except for the poor guy.

 

It had been a week and she spent so much time with him. They had become comfortable with each other and good friends even. Would he even look at her as someone romantically? He and Taeyeon got along so well too, what if their break up was a mistake and they got back together eventually?

 

 

Her head was hurting thinking about it.

 

Hyoyeon whispered to Sooyoung, “We’ll talk about it later, yeah?” She insisted with a supporting nod. Sooyoung smiled at her and thanked her silently.

 

Sunny was next to Yuri, “I’m sorry, are you okay Yuri-shi?” She gave her friend a supporting smile but she wasn’t sure what she was thinking about. She wasn’t sure what either of them were thinking about. She hoped it had nothing to do with her break up with

Taeyeon.

 

“I’m fine! I’m really good!” Yuri answered, her face lighting up immediately. She was always good at changing expressions.

 

Sooyoung’s expression also brightened as she grabbed Hyoyeon and Sungmin’s arm.

 

“Let’s get to work now shall we?” Sooyoung announced with a loud voice. The girls laughed as they charged faster towards Hyoyeon’s house.

 

---

 

Jessica, Tiffany and Yoona were playing Mario Kart while Taeyeon and Seohyun prepared lunch. The five girls watched a Disney movie beforehand due to Seohyun’s request and happily sang along to every song.

 

“Yoona! Stop winning!” Tiffany whined as Yoona nabbed herself another trophy. Jessica pouted and crossed her arms.

 

 

“Let your unnies win for once,” she complained as they went onto the next trophy.

 

Yoona shook her head, “Nope! You guys have to try harder! You’ll never get any better this way and you know Taenyeon unnie is better than me.”

 

 

“Taeng lets us win,” Tiffany and Jessica mumbled in unison. Yoona just laughed.

 

Taeyeon and Seohyun were happily preparing some chicken and fried rice in the kitchen. They were singing trot duets while preparing the food. It was one of their favourite past times.

 

 

When they finally finished preparing the ingredients, Seohyun placed the chicken in the oven and Taeyeon started frying the rice.

“So unnie,” Seohyun started, looking at her sister with curiousity, “What does this mean?”

 

 

“Huh?” Taeyeon asked, clueless, “What?”

 

“What does this mean!” Seohyun repeated with a wide smile, “What’s next? Are you going to get back with Sica unnie? Or are you going to go after Tiffany unnie?” She looked too excited.

 

 

Taeyeon was caught off guard however, “What? How do you know about Tiffany? No one else knows right? Right?”

 

Seohyun laughed at her sister who kept switching between looking at her and looking at the rice in front of her.

 

 

“No, no, Yoona and I talked about it before but no one else seems to notice,” she giggled, “Unnie you could try staring less, it’s a little rude.”

 

Taeyeon blushed and pouted at her little sister’s words. Damn Yoona, it made the girl more confident and teasing throughout the years.

 

 

“Well?” Seohyun repeated. She wasn’t usually this invasive but Yoona put her up to the task and in all honesty she was very excited to find out as well.

 

“Aigoo,” Taeyeon sighed as she continued to season the rice, “You make it sound like some sort of dating sim or drama.” Which was almost true. If you included some terminal illness or accidental pregnancy, then her love life would make a popular drama.

 

 

“Sorry unnie,” Seohyun replied with a pout.

 

Taeyeon turned to her sister with a smile, “No, it’s okay Seohyun. I’m just a little overwhelmed right now. I mean,” she looked behind her to see if any of the other girls were there, “Sunny and I just broke up. I’m not just going to jump onto the next person.”

 

 

“How long do you think it’ll take for Sooyoung to make a move?” came another voice. Taeyeon almost threw the frying pan the Yoona who made a sudden appearance.

 

“Are you guys just observing us now?!” Taeyeon blurted, shaking her head at her observant juniors.

 

 

Yoona just moved over to Seohyun, “Hyunnie come play with us!” Seohyun agreed and left with Yoona to the living room, not before bowing and apologizing to her older sister.

 

Taeyeon turned off the stove, “Those kids,” she mumbled to herself. With a confused expression she finished the rice and put it in a bowl. She thought that breaking up with Sunny would make things simpler, but it looks like they just made Sunny’s little game more complicated.

 

 

If other girls try hitting on her, would her secret be revealed? How would they react? Would they keep it a secret or hate Sunny for leading them on? Taeyeon knew that Sooyoung had feelings for Sungmin but would they remain if she knew who he really was? She never really thought about it before but now it was starting to bother her.

 

But she didn’t have too much time to think about that. Tiffany and Jessica was another matter, a more personal matter that she had to deal with first. That was, assuming Jessica still had feelings and Tiffany even had any interest in girls.

 

 

With another sigh, Taeyeon secretly wished that she and Sunny just stayed together. That would have been much easier.

 

 

But the fires were lit and there was no turning back. She had to face her feelings and as the group approached graduation, they all had to finish what was started. Taeyeon wondered if it would make the remaining weeks move faster or slower.