Back to the Ropes

Tongue Tied

Hyoyeon was the first to head out. She hugged all of her friends goodbye, saying that her ride had come. She was excited to see a familiar face peeking out of a window and waving frantically at her. Hyoyeon hadn’t seen the other girl in a few weeks due to the fact that she went to a different school and was usually busy with family and school activities.

All except for one of the girls recognized the face and gave each other knowing looks.

“You sleeping over at Min’s house?” Yuri asked with a waggle of her eyebrows, “I thought sleeping with the enemy was illegal.”

Hyoyeon punched the joker in the shoulder before turning away with a blush on her face. Min was the leader of her own dance crew at her school and were often their rival during the summer youth dance competitions. In fact, it was at their first competition three years ago after their freshman year where Hyoyeon and Min first met.

Sunny stared at the two, unsure of who this Min character was. She didn’t recall them ever mentioning her in the past. Then again, Sunny couldn’t recall most of the names of the other friends the girls had outside their group. She made note to ask Taeyeon about her later.

“Have fun!” Yuri called out with a wink and a pat on Hyoyeon’s bum as the girl walked away.

“Happy New Year’s!” Hyoyeon yelled out before getting into the car with her other best friend, Min.

“They’re a lively bunch,” Min chuckled as she watched the large group wave as they drove away. “I wish we didn’t have the dumb family party so I could’ve hung out with you guys too.”

“Well we’re hanging out now,” Hyoyeon replied bluntly before putting an arm over Min’s shoulders, “So which scary movie are we watching first?” It had become tradition that every time Hyoyeon slept over, a scary movie was watched. Their mutual adoration for horror films was one of the many reasons they bonded.

“Movie watching is for later! You remember my cousin Jo Kwon right? He thinks he can beat me in a Twister challenge so we’re doing that first.”

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes, those two were always so competitive. A few months ago it was a karaoke challenge, months before that it was scrabble and the list goes on. It was interesting watching the two go at it however, they never failed to entertain Hyoyeon.

“Well, I think I can beat both of you,” Hyoyeon spoke confidentally, rubbing her palms together.

Min just flicked her hands away before proclaiming, “Bring it!”

---

The rest of the girls stood around the lobby as they decided the order of dropping people off. They were one of the few groups of people still left at the karaoke place and their loud voices were practically bouncing off the lobby walls.

Taeyeon was driving once again and couldn’t care less about the order. She was leaning against the wall, watching the girls talk things over. Eventually, they ended with the logical choice of dropping everyone off according to who was further and who was closer. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at this, it was always the answer and yet, they always argued over it.

The girls all poured into the car, Tiffany sitting shot gun with Taeyeon. She held her new girlfriend’s hand tightly, intertwining their fingers. It was an action that they always did since they could remember, but somehow tonight it felt different. Tiffany didn’t miss the blush on Taeyeon’s face and made note of how adorable she looked.

“Okay, so Yuri first, then Yoona, then Sica, then Fany then Sooyoung?” Taeyeon verified, looking at her passengers through the rearview mirror.  She had shook away the embarrassment so her friends couldn’t .

“Yes, sir!” Yoona and Yuri exclaimed. Surprised by their united outcry, they congratulated each other with a high five.

Taeyeon smiled as she drove out of their parking space and made their way to the first house.

Somehow, 4 hours of karaoke just wasn’t enough singing. Tiffany had her latest top 40 mixtape and the rest of the girls sang along enthusiastically. Taeyeon sang along with them, harmonizing perfectly with Tiffany and admiring the many tired out and scatchy voices of the rest of their mini choir.

Behind Taeyeon and Tiffany sat Yuri, Jessica, Seohyun and Yoona. They were swaying in unison and occasionally clapping their hands to the beat.

Normally Jessica would be tired at this time, but she somehow caught the singing and dancing fever of her best friends. That night had been a very good night for her. It reminded her of all those times with Taeyeon, the flirting, the mischievous teasing, the serenading, the occasional romantic duet and the kissing. Oh how she missed kissing.

Yuri felt different from Taeyeon. She was taller and a little more aggressive. She was also a little more needy for affection than Taeyeon, not that Jessica minded. She loved how much Yuri wanted her around, how much she wanted her touch and her little kisses. She also loved how beautiful Yuri thought she was. She could see the love and admiration in her eyes every time she looked at her.

Yuri was definitely a different experience, but Jessica decided that she loved it. She decided that she loved Yuri.

“Oh yeah!” Yuri yelled out in the middle of a song. All of the girls except for Taeyeon faced her, curious about what the girl had just remembered.

Yuri smiled widely as she reached into her purse. She mentally slapped herself for forgetting. How could she possibly forget something so important?

“Sica, I have a gift for you,” she declared excitedly as she pulled out an envelope.

And that’s when Yoona suddenly remembered. She snorted and held back her laugh before facing Yuri.

“You didn’t!” she managed to say as she placed a hand over . It was too bad that Hyoyeon wasn’t there for the reveal.

“What’s happening?” Taeyeon asked, extremely confused at the wheel. She looked in the window to see Sooyoung and Sungmin sleeping at the back while Jessica, Yoona and Seohyun were staring at Yuri unfolding a piece of paper.

“Hurry up and give it to me,” Jessica barked, slapping Yuri on the hand as she took ages to unfold the paper that was in the envelope. “I want to know what it is!”

Eventually, the paper was flat and Yuri looked at her masterpiece for a second before turning it over to show Jessica.

At the unveiling, Yoona bursted into laughter, causing Sooyoung and Sungmin to wake up. Tiffany turned around to see the drawing to her best ability while Seohyun stared at the piece of paper in wonder.

“Ta-da!” Yuri cooed, proudly showing off her drawing in front of her girlfriend.

“Who is that?” Jessica asked, head tilted and slightly confused. She suddenly felt a little jealous, “Yah! Kwon Yuri! Why would you draw a different girl for me?! Are you cheating?”

Yuri flinched before pouting, “Sica! It’s you! Come on, it totally looks like you, right?”

Jessica’s eyes widened, “Huh?” She took the piece of paper from Yuri and looked at it closely.

On first look, Jessica classified the drawing as hideous. As an artist, she couldn’t help but be a little judgemental of technicalities. However, she was stunned to see Yuri try anyway. It was sweet, the girl trying to draw for her since she was an artist. And so she held back her harsh comments and focused her attention on figuring out who the drawing was of.

Scanning the drawing carefully, Jessica finally saw some features that kind of resembled her. Her hair was right and her clothes looked familiar. It didn’t really look like her at all, but after Yuri said it was her, a slight image of her appeared.

Her anger had disappeared and she simply giggled, “This is me?”

“Yes!” Yuri answered happily, glad to see the change in Jessica’s expression. “I worked really hard on it. It really looks like you, huh?”

Jessica decided to avoid that question.

“How long did it take for you to make this?” Jessica asked, continuing to look at the drawing carefully. “It’s so cute.”

“Believe it or not,” Yuri started proudly, a smirk clear on her face, “It only took me an hour!”

Yoona’s laughter only got louder and Sooyoung joined her soon after, “That dumb drawing took you an hour?”

Sunny wanted to be polite, so she lightly chuckled to herself while covering with her hand. It was really sweet though, she had to admit, but it was an awful drawing.

“Shut up!” Jessica cried out, smacking Sooyoung on the head, “It’s really sweet that she tried.”

Yuri smiled and accepted Jessica’s offer for a hug. Until Jessica’s words repeated themselves in her head.

“Wait, what is that supposed to mean?”

Taeyeon soon arrived at Yuri’s house and the girl hopped out of the car, still extremely elated with Jessica’s reaction to her drawing.

Jessica got out of the car for a moment to give Yuri a kiss and a hug before she departed.

“Text me, okay?” Jessica demanded before going back into the car.

“Already sent you a text,” Yuri said with a wink, “I’ll see you soon, Sica.”

As much as Jessica missed having Yuri next to her, she was glad to have more space in their row.

“So why did we have to squish here while Sungmin and Sooyoung got the entire back to themselves?” Jessica complained, turning to the couple. Sungmin was sleeping on Sooyoung’s shoulder while the tall girl was playing with their fingers.

“Well, I was going to sit in the back with unnie and oppa, but Yoona wanted me to sit here with her,” Seohyun explained with an apologetic tone.

Jessica couldn’t get mad at the maknae, so she sighed and nodded, “Alright, I guess that makes sense.”

Yoona chuckled triumphantly, “Thanks, Hyunnie.” She kissed the younger girl’s cheek but earned a light smack from Jessica.

It wasn’t too long before they reached Yoona’s house. She dragged Seohyun out of the car with her and hugged the girl tightly. Then, to everyone’s surprise she pulled the girl along with her to her house.

“Goodnight everyone, Taeng unnie, I’m borrowing Seohyun for the night.”

Taeyeon was about to say something when Yoona closed the door and escaped with Seohyun to their house. She watched as her little sister waved at her with an apologetic look.

“Well, okay,” Taeyeon said with a shrug, “Sica’s next then.”

She laughed when she looked in the back to see Jessica lying on all of the seats.

“Sica! Get up and put on your seatbelt,” Taeyeon demanded.

Jessica growled before sitting back up, “I thought I could get away with it now that Seobaby is gone.”

“Tae was obviously influenced by her baby sister,” Tiffany replied, giving Jessica an eye smile.

“You sure are in a cheerful mood,” Jessica said with a slight smile. She was definitely happy for the new couple, although a little troubled. But she’d hold back for tonight, it was New Year’s after all.

“Of course I am!” Tiffany spat with a slight squeal, “It’s New Year’s and I’m already in a perfect relationship.”

She turned and gave Taeyeon a peck on the cheek, admiring the pink hue in her new girlfriend’s cheeks. Taeyeon just smiled back at her bashfully before returning to the wheel.

She loved Tiffany’s enthusiasm. She didn’t expect it, yet, it didn’t surprise her at all either. Tiffany was always like this to her, but it had gone up a few levels since their relationship went from platonic to romantic.

She just did her best to not think about how it was a secret from the outside world.

The girls all waved to Jessica and yelled goodnight as they headed towards Sooyoung’s house.

“How come you’re sleeping over at Taengoo’s house but not mine?” Sooyoung complained, shaking Sungmin’s arm.

He let out a soft yawn before smiling sadly at his girlfriend, “Sorry, but Taeng asked for me to come over. After all, I don’t think your parents would be very happy about your boyfriend sleeping over.”

Sooyoung was about to retort when she realized what Sungmin meant. She blushed and punched him in the shoulder, “ert.”

It wasn’t too long before they reached Sooyoung’s house. The tall girl sadly hugged her boyfriend goodbye before giving him a kiss. The innocent peck that Sunny intended soon turned into a passionate, full lip lock. Sooyoung seemed to be hungry despite the two having practically made out recently at midnight.

“Goodnight, oppa,” Sooyoung whispered before hugging her boyfriend again. Sungmin went on his tip toes to give his girlfriend a kiss on the forehead and watched her face turn red as she walked to her door step.

After watching Sooyoung’s back disappear behind her door, Sunny went to sit in the passenger seat with Taeyeon.

“Did you have fun tonight?” Sunny asked as Taeyeon began to drive them to Sunny’s home.

“Yeah, surprisingly,” Taeyeon replied with a wide smile and slight chuckle. “Things turned out…pretty well.”

Sunny nodded and placed a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder, “I’m really happy for you.”

---

After New Year’s, the girls decided to return their attention to more important things. There were only a few weeks left of vacation before they had to go back to school. It was the final two weeks of school and there was much to do.

Taeyeon had to train her apprentice to become a good leader for next year and go over all the duties for her while also getting ready for the choir’s performance for the talent show. There was also her solo performance, her duet with Sooyoung and her duet with Sunny. She hadn’t realized until recently that she actually had a lot to do. Being one of the managers for the talent show was still a difficult job. The second they got back from school there would be rehearsals every night. She only prayed that their crew for this year would cooperate. And then after one week was the actual performance.

Every girl in the group had a performance to get ready for in the talent show, so that’s where their focus went for the rest of the winter vacation. There were also final papers and exams to prepare for, something that Seohyun didn’t forget to remind her unnies.

She sent out a mass email to meet up for a study session the weekend before school started again. Seohyun insisted on going over notes and taking the time to finish the holiday homework as well. With a groan, the rest of the girl’s agreed.

Before then, Seohyun had to finish her finishing touches for her solo performance for the talent show and rehearse her part in the choir’s performance with Taeyeon and the rest of their team. They had the choir rehearsals in their house during the break, making it easier for her. She also had to tutor some students and help them with their work.

Jessica and Tiffany prepared for their final school paper and for their talent show duet. Jessica also occasionally went back to school to work on the mural with the rest of art club.

The two girls also occasionally went on double dates with Taeyeon and Yuri. It was good to take breaks every once in a while, and ever since they became a couple, Tiffany missed Taeyeon more than usual.

Hyoyeon and the rest of the dance crew practiced for their talent show every moment they had the chance. Hyoyeon had invited Min and wanted their group’s performance to be flawless. Not to mention that it was her last performance for the school, so they had to be perfect. The members of the dance crew met up and practiced as often as possible.

Sunny practiced hard for everything she had to do and had no trouble finishing up her holiday homework. Her and Taeyeon finally picked a song for the talent show and practiced in secret whenever she could. It was troubling how the talent show was only a week before graduation and the nerve wrecking reveal of her identity. She hoped that Sooyoung would remember her talent show performance and take it to heart when making her decision of what to do when she finds out her real identity.

Sooyoung studied hard with Sungmin while also making sure they went on as many dates at possible. She was glad to also be on the same dance crew so they spent a lot of time together during practice as well. With each passing day, Sooyoung felt that much closer to Sungmin. She called and texted him every moment possible and even insisted on having their tutor dates at her house. Her family often harassed Sungmin, but she found the sight to be amusing. It also warmed her heart how easily he got along with them. They often told her how much they loved him as well and it made her wonder if maybe he was the one.

Sooner than later, the long awaited study session arrived. It was the first time since the New Year’s Eve party that all 9 of the girls were in the same place at once. Of course between then and now, the girls saw each other in small intervals. Whether they were dates, double dates, dance practice, song practice or the occasional lunch or dinner, the girls would see each other. However, with everyone being so busy with their individual activities, it was difficult to get everyone together at once. At least one person was always busy.

Thankfully, Seohyun planned the study session early making it easy for everyone to meet up on the same day.

They had decided to study from 1PM to about dinner time at Taeyeon and Seohyun’s house. Seohyun would occasionally go and get them snacks while her parents prepared dinner.

Hyoyeon, Jessica, and Yuri were in one group while Seohyun, Yoona, Tiffany and Taeyeon were in another one. Sooyoung and Sungmin were in their own little world, something that the other girls didn’t fail to notice.

“Look at those lovebirds,” Hyoyeon said with a shake of her head, “They practically spent the entire vacation together and yet look at them.”

“It’s kind of funny seeing Sungmin oppa sitting in Sooyoung’s lap like that,” Yuri commented with a wide smile, “Usually it’s the other way around.”

“Well usually, the girl isn’t three times bigger than the guy,” Jessica added with a smirk.

“Hey I heard that!” Sungmin exclaimed in fake anger. He threw a balled up piece of scrap paper at Jessica, only to hit Hyoyeon instead.

Hyoyeon ripped out a page from her notebook and scrunched it up, “Take this!”

Soon enough, all of the girls were throwing scrapped notes and even just blank pieces of paper at each other.

Taeyeon escaped from the chaos to check on dinner while Seohyun came back to the scene of her unnies throwing paper at each other. Once again, she questioned their ages.

“Stop wasting paper!” she cried out in the loudest voice the girls have ever heard. In that instant they all stopped and slumped in their seat apologetically. “Anyway, it’s dinner time unnies, let’s go eat.” Her voice quickly reverted back to being chipper and she ran over to grab Yoona’s hand and drag her to the dining room.

“That’s my Hyunnie,” Yoona declared proudly with a lopsided smile.