Dreams

At First Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry.”

-Kwon MinWoo

 

Chapter 25 | Dreams

 

 

BREAKING NEWS: SEOUL SUPERWOMAN IN THE ARMS OF ANOTHER MAN?

 

Reporter: Good evening viewers, now we have one sizzling piece of news to share regarding our hot Cinderella Couple. Apparently, numerous photos have leaked online showing Seoul Superwoman in the arms of a handsome stranger in her university compound. However, what makes it more interesting is that then her fiancée, Mr. Kwon MinWoo had appeared and we were told by numerous witnesses that Miss Kim SooJin had left NOT with the handsome stranger BUT with her fiancée instead. It was exciting to note that one of the witnesses who refused to be named claimed that there were hostile looks exchanged between the two guys.

 

[Camera showing the pictures of Kwon MinWoo looking at Kang JiWoon]

 

Reporter: Our trustworthy source had revealed that the handsome stranger was none other than Kim SooJin’s alleged past lover who had came back, probably to reclaim her heart. Most of you might remember that Mr. JiWoon was supposed to give a tell-all on live television two days ago but he quit at the last minute. Some claimed that this was probably due to Miss SooJin’s request.

 

[Camera showing numerous photos of Kang JiWoon]

 

Reporter: That’s not all dear viewers. The plot is about to thicken. You guys remember about Lee EunJae, Mr. Kwon MinWoo’s alleged first love? The one whose father had come back to this country for revenge to someone whom many had assumed to be Kwon MooWon, the Chairman of KMW Electronics and also Mr. Kwon MinWoo’s grandfather? The girl who had disappeared for the past few days? In a few of the pictures that have leaked online, one can definitely see that the girl in the background, watching from afar at the Cinderella Couple was none other than Miss Lee EunJae herself.

 

[Camera zooming in the background of the picture, showing Lee EunJae crying]

 

Reporter: So from this picture, we can definitely see that Miss Lee EunJae seems to be crying her heart out at the sight of our Cinderella Couple.

 

[Camera showing picture of Kwon MinWoo carrying Kim SooJin back to his car]

 

Reporter: So does this mean that BOTH of their past loves are trying to win back their hearts? Will our Cinderella Couple be able to withstand this kind of threats posed at their love? Will they persevere till the end and make the whole nation happy with their own happy ending?  Only time will tell.

 

 

******************

 

When it comes to dreams, my mother might be the worst—or the best—teacher in the world. It actually depends on how you view things.

 

I remember when I was nine years old, I was awakened from sleep and went crying to her, telling her about the terrible nightmare that I had before that.

 

Any other mother out there would have consoled their little girl, telling them that it would be alright to go back to sleep—that it was only a dream. However, as my mother was presumably an alien from outer space with horrible motherly skills, she slapped my head hard.

 

“Why are you so stupid to dream a nightmare, SooJin?” was what she had said angrily, “Nightmares are just bad dreams. We control our own dreams. So instead of making bad dreams, you should only be making good dreams. Train you brain to dream of being rich or living in a house full of chocolates! Just dream big, SooJin and then only you can go far. Don’t overthink about nightmares.”

 

“But Umma, I can’t control my dreams! Even my teacher says that dreams can’t be controlled,” I remember protesting defiantly.

 

Umma had scoffed at my attempt at defence. “Your teacher is also stupid. That’s why she’s stuck teaching at that small village school. Trust me, SooJin, I’m your mother, the best kind of teacher in the world. Just tell your teacher that your mother said that she’s stupid.”

 

So I did.

 

I told my teacher everything. I told her everything that my mother had told me especially the part where my mother had said that she was stupid. I ended being chased away from class and being ridiculed by other students because I had to stand with my hands up high for more than three hours as my punishment.

 

I ended up really resenting my mother, really believing that she was the worst teacher in the world; someone who was not fit enough to be a mother.

 

However, the only good thing that came out of the situation was that it was the last time that I ever had a nightmare. Since then, it was either a good dream or nothing at all. Since then, the weirdest dream I had was maybe a few days ago in the car with Haraboji and Aunt Mina where I had dreamed that Haraboji was actually my mother.

 

Apart from that, my dream had always been good; some were even great.

 

They were all so unlike this dream that I’m currently having. I did not even know whether it was good or bad—or just plain confusing.

 

In this dream, MinWoo was angry—more like pissed—at me. He was barking angrily at me for not taking care of myself, while at the same time he was dabbing a damp towel on my forehead repeatedly.

 

Like I said, it was all so confusing.

 

I mean, his actions were showing that he cared but the words that came out of his mouth were like bullets with fire—killing and destroying at the same time.

 

“ARE YOU STUPID?!! WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME THAT YOU’RE SICK?! IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE SO WEAK LIKE THIS, WHY DIDN’T YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF?! ARE YOU THAT STUPID, KIM SOOJIN?!! IS YOUR BRAIN THAT SMALL TO NOT EVEN THINK OF YOURSELF?!” he yelled, “WHEN YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE SICK, WHY DIDN’T YOU GO TO THE HOSPITAL FIRST BEFORE MEETING HIM?! CAN’T YOU WAIT TO MEET HIM LATER WHEN YOU’RE WELL? WILL IT KILL YOU IF YOU DELAY MEETING HIM FOR A FEW HOURS? ARE YOU STUPID?! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR F.UCKING MIND?! DON’T YOU CARE ABOUT YOURSELF AT ALL BECAUSE OF HIM?!”

 

Whoa, if this was reality, I would have peed in my pants for sure! However, since this is just a dream, I should prepare for my comeback.

 

“I was none of your concern,” I said, “You said it yesterday. That’s why I didn’t tell you.”

 

MinWoo jumped back a little. He appeared startled by my voice. “Your—you—” I heard him gulp, “You’re awake? You—you have been listening?”

 

Okay, this dream is beginning to feel real. I fluttered my eyes open, only to meet with MinWoo’s rapidly blinking eyes. A towel was seen in his hand.

 

“This is not a dream?” I asked weakly, “Dreams should have chocolate and flowers. I should have all the beautiful things.”

 

MinWoo rushed forward to put a hand on my forehead. “You’re still burning,” he mumbled.

 

“I’m not dreaming?” I asked again, “Where’s my flowers?”

 

“God, this is bad. She’s hallucinating,” was MinWoo’s dramatic reply. He swiftly took out his cellphone and dialled a number. “Yes Dr. Lee, it’s me. Kim SooJin is not well. Something must be off with her brain. She’s currently hallucinating and not making any sense. She’s talking weird stuff like flowers and chocolates and dreams—Yes—Okay—I have already given her the medication but I think you need to come see her—Okay—Do I need to send her to the hospital?—What do you mean by ‘relax’?!!! She’s freaking hallucinating!—Okay, I understand—Yes, I’ll calm down—No, don’t call Aunt Mina—WHAT?! YOU ALREADY CALLED HER?!! I might have to fire you, Dr. Lee—What do you mean that I can’t fire you?—So what if my grandfather’s the one who hired you?—Yes, fine, I won’t fire you—FINE!—Okay, bye.”

 

Certainly, this was not a dream. I won’t ever dream of him yelling at Dr. Lee like that.

 

“MinWoo, where—where are we?” I asked, “What happened to me?” My head was still throbbing and my body was aching all over.

 

MinWoo gave me a look before taking a deep breath, like trying to calm himself. “You fainted while meeting with JiWoon,” he said, something in his voice, “I happened to be there to pick you up. Your friend, EunYoung called to tell me that you’re not well. She took my number from your cellphone.”

 

“But what about your meeting?” I asked weakly, “Weren’t you supposed to have a meeting this afternoon?”

 

MinWoo looked away. “It was cancelled. Haraboji cancelled it.”

 

I bit my lips. I remember how hard he had worked for the meeting. I could not forget how nervous he was for chairing such a big meeting, how it was a big deal to him.

 

I might have just ruined his chance to shine at the company. I realized that I was a hindrance to his bright future as the future leader. I was already a hurdle to his love life and now I’m also a hurdle to his career.

 

I did not bring any good fortune to his life.

 

“I’m sorry,” I said, resisting tears, “I know how hard you have worked for the meeting. You should have just gone ahead with it. You should have just sent Mr. Shin to pick me up.”

 

MinWoo heaved a deep sigh, an indescribable expression lingering in his eyes when he looked at me. “It didn’t matter. Haraboji was the one who had asked for me to pick you up when I told him that you’re sick. That’s why he had cancelled the meeting.”

 

He put the towel in his hand inside the basin with water and squeezed out the water. Then, ever so gently, he began to dab the damp towel on my forehead again. “How are you feeling? Better?” he asked softly. He placed the towel on my forehead and reached out for the medication that was at the side table. “You need to eat this. It’s Dr. Lee’s order.”

 

I took the pills and swallowed them whole with the water given by him.

 

“You have to call JiWoon once you’re all better,” he said as he placed the glass of water at the side table, “He looked really worried.” He was averting my gaze as he said this.

 

“But JiWoon and me—” I hurried to say but was cut off by him.

 

“You don’t need to explain anything about you and JiWoon, SooJin,” he said.

 

“I don’t?”

“Like I said, it’s none of my business.”

“But—”

 

Ding Dong

 

We were startled by the sound of the doorbell. “That must be Aunt Mina,” he grimaced, “She must be worried sick about you. She might fall ill herself.” He shook his head to exit the room. It was then that I noticed that I was actually on his bed at the apartment, the place where all this madness had started—where we had started.

 

“Omo, SooJin! You look so terrible! How are you, dear?” Aunt Mina’s extremely concerned voice reached my eardrums.

 

“I’m fine, Aunt Mina,” I said, forcing a smile.

 

“Oh my God, you look horrible!” she shrieked, “What was that?”

 

“That was her weak attempt at a smile, Aunt Mina,” MinWoo pointed out, “She’s trying to assure you that she’s fine.”

 

“But that’s not even a smile!” Aunt Mina continued to shriek and went to feel my forehead. “Omo, she’s burning! She needs to be admitted to the ICU! I’m calling Dr. Lee.”

 

MinWoo rolled his eyes. “Aunt Mina, Dr. Lee had seen her and I had called him just a few minutes ago. He just told me that all SooJin needs right now is adequate rest and fluid and she needs to take the medication that he has prescribed. I don’t think he will agree to your request to send her to ICU.”

 

“Omo, how can he not admit her when she’s smiling like that. She’s not stable,” Aunt Mina tried to whisper but her voice was audible enough.

 

“I can hear you, Aunt Mina,” I said.

 

Aunt Mina looked sheepishly at me. Seriously, I think it was my mother’s influence. She was becoming more and more alike my mother which is weird. I’m telling you, my mother is one bad influence to anyone.

 

“I’m firing him,” Aunt Mina said. Before we can even protest, she was already dialling Dr. Lee’s number. “Dr. Lee, it’s me—Yes, it’s about SooJin. She just smiled weirdly at us. You know, the dishonest creepy smile? Yes, exactly like that. I think she’s becoming worse. Please admit her to the ICU. She’s not stable—What do you mean it’s not necessary?!—NO! I won’t calm down!!—I’m firing you, Dr. Lee!—What do you mean I can’t fire you?—Yes, my father was the one who hired you—That’s correct but I also have the right to fire you—Appa said that?!—Fine, I’m not firing you but if something bad happens to her, you’re going to take the full responsibility—FINE!—Okay, bye!”

 

I rolled my eyes. Like aunt, like nephew. It must have run in the family, this hobby of firing people whenever something did not go their way.

 

“I told you, Aunt Mina,” MinWoo said, shaking his head.

 

Aunt Mina gave him a look. “You don’t even have the right to say anything!” she barked, “Why didn’t you take care of her?! You’re a man, you’re supposed to protect her. You’re her fiancée, it’s your responsibility! How can you let her become like this? What will Appa say if he finds her like this? How can we explain this to her parents?!”

 

I watched on as Aunt Mina slapped his body repeatedly. MinWoo was trying to evade her abuse but failed miserably. He would be heavily bruised once the whole ordeal was over.

 

“Aunt Mina, it’s not his fault,” I said, “It’s my own fault. No need to abuse him. He’s innocent. In fact, he’s the one who’s trying hard to make me feel much better.”

 

Aunt Mina stopped to look at me. “Omo, what a sweet fiancée you have here, MinWoo! She’s already defending you when it’s clearly your fault.”

 

“How come that it’s my fault?!” MinWoo muttered angrily, rubbing his aching body all over, “Besides, how come you didn’t scold her like you scolded me when I fell sick before this?”

 

“Because you’re a man. You’re strong enough,” she replied. Then her gaze fell on the flat screen television hanging on the wall. “Err.. Appa specifically ordered for you two to stay here for a day or two. And don’t watch the television,” she added quickly, “If you need to go out, you need to go out together.”

 

“Why?” I asked.

 

“Just don’t watch it. Some weird rumors are going around. MinWoo, you’re exempted from work until SooJin is well,” she said.

 

“Fine,” MinWoo muttered, “If Haraboji says so.”

 

“But he doesn’t need to take care of me! I’ll be fine by tomorrow,” I protested.

 

Aunt Mina flashed me her dazzling smile. “I need you to be in your prime condition by the next two days, SooJin-ah,” she said fondly, “It’s because the charity event is happening in two days. Remember, you need to give your speech.”

 

“Oh my God, I have totally forgotten, Aunt Mina!” I said, “I haven’t even started to make a speech.”

 

Aunt Mina waved her hand dismissively. “No need to worry, my dear. MinWoo can help you with that. He’s excellent with speeches, aren’t you MinWoo?”

 

I noted how MinWoo was grumbling his ‘yes’ with much force. I heaved a deep sigh. Just how can one make a speech in a day to wow the whole nation?

 

 

*************************

 

 

I think that I had fallen asleep all throughout the day. I was only occasionally awakened by MinWoo when it was time for my medication. He had also woken me up once to forcefully shove some porridge down my throat. At least he called it porridge; to me it was the nastiest thing that I had tasted in my whole life aside from Haneul’s bizarre dishes that she had served me in the past.

 

“What the heck is this?” I had inquired after he had forcefully shoved a spoonful inside my mouth.

 

“Porridge, of course,” MinWoo had replied nonchalantly before shoving another spoonful into my mouth.

 

“This is not porridge,” I protested after I had gulped down the horrible tasting watery bland rice water. Honestly, I thought I was drinking half boiled rice water.

 

“What do you mean it’s not?” MinWoo asked, “I made it according to the recipe from the Internet. This is my first time cooking so I don’t really know if the outcome is not porridge.”

 

Honestly, it was the sweetest thing that he had said to me ever since we met. I mean, to think that he had personally learned how to cook just for me had brought some sweet feeling inside my chest. It made me feel all bubbly inside and I almost forgot that I was sick.

 

“It’s just that it’s the best porridge that I have ever tasted,” I smiled. Within a few minutes, I had finished the horrible porridge that he had cooked for me.

 

“Now go to sleep,” he said softly as he tucked me in. “I’ll call JiWoon to let him know that you’re recovering well.”

 

“But JiWoon—”

 

“Just sleep, SooJin,” MinWoo interrupted me, “Just rest well today. You need to recover fast.”

 

Before I even had time to stop him, he had already exited the room, closing the door behind him.

 

I think he had misunderstood what had happened between me and JiWoon but I was too tired to try and explain it to him. However, I was determined to make sure that he listened to me the first thing in the morning.

 

But why do you need to explain yourself?

He said himself that you were none of his concern.

After all, he’s still in love with EunJae. They love each other.

You are just the fake fiancée. What they have is real.

Stop dreaming, Kim SooJin.

 

The voice in my head had reminded me what I wanted to fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter