The Day Out

At First Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

      22 | The Day Out

 

 "You sure are something"

-Kwon MinWoo-

 

Breaking News: Lee SaeHyun is Warning for Someone to ‘Watch Out’

 

It seems as though a drama is brewing in the lives of the rich and famous of South Korea with the surprise return of President Lee SaeHyun, the multimillionaire leader of Y10 Electronics America, to Seoul. He was once famously known to have declared on national television upon his depart to America some years back that he would not return until he has proven his worth to the world. Now that he has found huge success on American soil—Y10 Electronics is currently just falling short behind Samsung Electronics America in terms of total revenue and has emerged victorious over its arch-rival KMW Electronics America—one can safely assume that he is a man of his words.

 

His return has been met with mixed reviews with most economic analyst raving that it might be due to his intention to expand the success of Y10 Electronics to the rest of Asia. One cannot say for sure the exact reason for his return. When met with reporters at the airport earlier, President Lee only has one thing to say about his return, “Someone better watch out.” When asked to comment further, he was whisked away to his limousine by his throngs of bodyguards and up to the moment that this article is being published, his rep still has refused to comment about his return.

 

A credible source has leaked to us that the real reason of his return is regarding his only child, Lee EunJae. Apparently, he is here to take her home. According to the source, Lee EunJae has ran away from her father and has been rebelling him for some time now. What makes it more interesting is the fact that Lee EunJae was just seen leaving the Kwon mansion a few days earlier and the whole nation has acknowledged regarding the bad history between the Lee and Kwon family.

 

Rumours has been flying around for quite some time about the past relationship between Kwon MinWoo and Lee EunJae. A collegemate of theirs was even quoted to say that the two were ‘inseparable’ back in the days. Could it be that they broke up due to their family’s tension, like Romeo and Juliet? With all the excitement surrounding the Cinderella couple, could it be that Lee EunJae is now back to claim her man? Or, could it be that Lee SaeHyun is here to stop his daughter from meddling in the affairs of the two?

 

No one knows for sure but we at SeoulDaily promise to bring more updates regarding this exciting real-life drama of the rich and famous. Watch this space for more update.

 

***********************

 

 

It was bad.

 

There was actually no word befitting to describe the uncomfortable environment that we were in.

 

Like I said, it was bad; up to a point that I was feeling kinda nauseated. I just wished that it would be over soon but it did not. They were still shocked and the mere footage of him had reminded them about all the hurt, the hate, their losses; all the things that they had been trying so hard to forget.

 

They were already showing some progress of moving on but he just had to come back to ruin it all in a matter of seconds. Yes, life is cruel sometimes.

 

At that point, I did not know whom to look at. It was not even feasible for me to think of what to do at the moment. All my thoughts were caught in a stagnant pool and I do not even know how I was even breathing then.

 

Haraboji and Aunt Mina were still looking at MinWoo, as though they were expecting for some kind of a breakdown from him. Slowly, I too averted my gaze to look at MinWoo. He had this undescribable expression on his face. There was a flinch of anger and hurt on that handsome face of his but no one could deny the heavy sense of sorrow clouding his eyes. He did not say a word; not a word at all had come out of his mouth, but yet I could feel his pain. His eyes were still glued on the television screen but it had seemed as though he was trying hard to avoid our gazes, like he knew that we were watching him, concerned about his feelings.

 

Ever so slowly, MinWoo reached for the remote control on the coffee table and had switched off the television.

 

At that point, no one seemed to know of what to say for fear that a single word could bring a thousand ruin. It was a really uncomfortable situation to be in. MinWoo suddenly shrugged off the blanket covering his body and had abruptly stood up.

 

“I’m going to my room,” he declared quietly, as though he was only telling himself.

 

“MinWoo...” Aunt Mina had tried to stop him but it sounded as though she was still having difficulty to speak.

 

“I’m fine, Aunt Mina,” he said, still avoiding her gaze, “I’m just tired.” Although he tried so hard to act as though he was fine, we could still hear the tremble in his voice, as though he was trying to keep himself together.

 

We could only watch on helplessly as he made his way out of the living room.

 

Aunt Mina blinked and Haraboji cleared his throat. They looked at each other but still, no words had come out of their mouths. The appearance of Lee SaeHyun had rendered them speechless and I could not think of anything clever to say to lighten up the mood.

 

“Oh, Appa,” suddenly Aunt Mina had spoken, sounding anxious, “Why is he back? What does he want now?”

 

Haraboji did not utter a word. Instead, he dialled a number on his cellphone. “Mr. Shim, come to the living room now,” he said before hanging up. “I don’t know,” he said to Aunt Mina, “but I have a bad feeling about this.”

 

Aunt Mina gulped and had a worried look on her face. “That vengeful man,” she said angrily, “Why can’t he just leave us alone?!” She buried her face in her hands and let out a groan.

 

Within seconds, Mr. Shim had appeared in the living room and bowed politely to all of us. “I’m here, Chairman,” he said.

 

I looked at Mr. Shim. As usual, he was smartly dressed in a dark suit and polished black shoes. Anytime Haraboji called, he would appear in a matter of seconds, like the loyal PA that he was. It was no surprise that he was still single. He had his whole life dedicated to the Kwon family. MinWoo had told me once of how Haraboji had paid for Mr. Shim’s tuition and took care of his sick sister and he had vowed to stay loyal to Haraboji ever since.

 

I wished I had one Mr. Shim in my life. That would make a lot of things easier.

 

“Lee SaeHyun is back, Mr. Shim,” Haraboji stated matter-of-factly, breaking my thoughts.

 

There was a look of disbelief on Mr. Shim’s face. “I beg your pardon, Chairman?” he asked to make sure, “President Lee is back?!”

 

Haraboji nodded. “Yes, it’s been reported in the news,” he said, “I want you to get our investigators to work out the reason of his return. We need to be careful from now on. My gut feeling is telling me that he still wants revenge.”

 

Mr. Shim nodded. “I’ll do as you ask, Chairman,” he said and excused himself to do his work. Just like lightning, he had disappeared.

 

Once he was out of sight, Aunt Mina let out a shriek. “Do you think that he’ll harm MinWoo, Appa?” there were trembles in her voice like she feared for the worse.

 

Haraboji nodded his head. “That’s a possibility,” he said. He looked up at me, “SooJin, can you please check on MinWoo. He might need you now.”

 

“Ehh? Me?” I pointed my index finger towards myself.

 

Haraboji nodded. “I’m afraid that he’ll do something stupid,” he said.

 

“Yes SooJin, I think you’re the best person to comfort him right now,” Aunt Mina interjected, “You’re his fiancée.”

 

Ah, right.

 

I had completely forgotten that one of the job scope of being a fiancée is to comfort her fiancé should anything happen. However, there was something still bothering my mind. If it was not resolved, things might get even worse now that Lee SaeHyun is back.

 

“Haraboji, when are you going to tell MinWoo the truth about EunJae?” I asked, “He really needs to know the truth, Haraboji. You’re not protecting him by hiding it from him. He deserves to know.”

 

“SooJin..” there was an obvious warning in his voice.


Aunt Mina looked back and forth between me and Haraboji, a concerned look on her face. I guess she knew that I was trying to defy Haraboji’s stubbornness and was afraid for the outcome.

 

“But Haraboji—” I started to say but was cut off by Haraboji’s intense glare.

 

“Just check on him, SooJin,” he said, his voice firm, “That’s all I want you to do right now.”

 

Aunt Mina blinked.

 

It was pointless for me to object to that. There was no way I could defeat his stubbornness at that moment. Wordlessly, I stood up and began to make my way out of the living room.

 

“SooJin,” Haraboji called out and I halted my steps. I turned around to look at his troubled face, “I know you mean well but it’s just not possible now. I’m sorry.” He looked genuinely apologetic so my heart went out to him.

 

I guess in a way, I understand where Haraboji was standing. He thought that he was protecting his only grandson by hiding the cruel truth, even though it had made MinWoo hate him. Maybe it sounded absurd but I know that Haraboji had wanted nothing more than to see MinWoo happy.

 

“It’s okay, Haraboji,” I smiled, “I understand.”

 

As I made my way towards MinWoo’s room, a new determination rushed over me. By hook or by crook, I would make sure that these two big heads would resolve their misunderstanding today. I might have to use all the dirty tricks that I knew just to make sure that things got done.

 

After all, according to some people, I am a miracle. It was about time that I used my magic.

 

***********************

 

When I the doorknob to open the door to his room, I was expecting for MinWoo to sit on the bed, crying his eyes out while looking at a picture of EunJae that he had kept hidden underneath his bed.

 

Okay, so maybe my imagination was running wild but I was really expecting for him to look at least devastated after he stormed off from the living room earlier. Instead, I was surprised to find him looking completely fine playing with the computer game.

 

He must have noticed the shock on my face because he asked, “Why do you look so surprised?”

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be crying?” I asked.

 

MinWoo looked taken aback by that. He tried to shrug it off by letting out a laugh. “The fish must have bitten your brain,” he joked, “Why should I be crying?” He gave me a mocking smile. “You really are not funny, SooJin.”

 

He might think that he could deceive me with that smile on his face but I was not fooled. The gloomy aura surrounding his body was unquestionable and I could feel the turmoil going on inside his heart. It was more powerful than the time when EunJae had reappeared in his life.

 

Kwon MinWoo was hurt and also angry because I think he knew Lee SaeHyun was the reason why Haraboji had despised EunJae.

 

“Oh, MinWoo,” I said and ran to hug his lonely back, “What are you going to do?”

 

MinWoo forcefully pushed my hands away to free himself from my embrace. “SooJin,” he said, a warning tone in his voice.

 

“Just cry, MinWoo,” I tried again, “It will make you feel better.”

 

“YAH KIM SOOJIN!” he stood up and I could feel the heat from his fiery eyes. I had made him angry. “You’re crossing the line,” he said through gritted teeth.

 

I had badly wanted to joke and say ‘What line?’ but I was clever enough to know that it would only irritate him more. So I decided to get a little help.

 

I called for Haraboji.

 

*******************

 

It was not like I was new to this. Mind you, I think I was already an expert in this field.


Back when we were growing up, SungMin and I had fought with each other every day and we used to give Appa some mini heart attacks with our verbal abuse to each other. When Appa decided that he could not take it anymore, he would leave me and SungMin deep inside the forest for us to talk things through and would only lead us home once we have started to become civil with each other again. This thing had happened almost every week and I think at one point, Appa had exhausted his knowledge of any secluded place in the forest for him to leave us at so he took the easier way; he locked us in my room and would not let us out until we forgive and forget. How SungMin and I did not end up killing each other was beyond me but Appa’s tricks did work and we would be friendly with each other again—until the next argument broke out that is.

 

So that was exactly what I did.

 

No, I did not leave them in the forest. Where can I find a forest in Seoul, for God’s sake?!

 

I did something even better than that. I locked them up with me in the room and I had put the key inside the safest place that I know they would never try to take; my bra.

 

“SooJin!! What the hell is wrong with you?!” MinWoo had yelled once he realized that he was being kept hostage in his own room, “Are you out of your mind?!”

 

“SooJin, I have no time for another joke of yours,” Haraboji said, “Please let us out.”

 

I sat on the chair at the working table and firmly shook my head. “No,” I said with a flick of a finger, “We won’t go anywhere until you two resolve things with each other.”

 

MinWoo groaned and Haraboji tapped his walking cane impatiently.

 

“You’re f.cking insane! INSANE!!” MinWoo cried out loud.

“MinWoo, do not talk that way,” Haraboji said sternly.

 

They were soon engaged in another battle of staring so I decided to catch their attention by clapping loudly. When they both turned to look at me, I nearly burned by the intensity of their gazes.

 

“You two sit down!” I instructed in my most stern voice, “Come on! Don’t waste my time or I won’t let you out until tomorrow.”

 

“I’m going to call Mr. Shim to open the door,” Haraboji looked pleased with himself, as though he had just thought of something clever.

 

Of course I had it all planned perfectly.

 

I gave him a dismissive wave. “He’s part of this too,” I told him, “He promised not to intervene, not even when you order him to.”

 

Haraboji’s eyes looked like they were about to pop out. “That no-good traitor!” Haraboji fumed. I gave him a steely gaze and he sighed in defeat.

 

“No fair!” MinWoo protested, “You’re playing dirty. Besides, I don’t need all this crap. I’m absolutely fine! Don’t be such a busybody.”

 

If there is anything that I hate the most, it would be people calling me a busybody. Couldn’t he see that I was only trying to help? Couldn’t he see that I did that because I cared about them?

 

“YAH KWON MINWOO!!” I yelled at the top of my lungs and it had made MinWoo jumped back in surprise. Even Haraboji looked startled by my sudden rage. “IF YOU DON’T FOLLOW WHAT I SAY, I SWEAR TO GOD YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET IT!!” I gave him a no-nonsense murderous look.

 

If looks could kill, MinWoo would be long gone.

 

“MinWoo, just sit down,” Haraboji said, “Follow what she says. It’s not good for the baby if she keeps on being angry.” He was already seated at the right edge of the bed.

 

MinWoo looked up to the ceiling and reluctantly sat down on the left edge of the bed, opposite Haraboji.

 

“No,” I said, still giving them a look, “Both of you on the floor. Facing each other.” They looked at me like I had lost my mind. “NOWWWW!!!” I yelled again like a madwoman and the two of them scrambled to sit on the floor.

 

Haraboji and MinWoo locked eyes for a moment but then they both looked away.

 

“Now, that’s better isn’t it?” I said. They replied me with unenthusiastic ‘Yes’. Frustrated, I decided to break the first barrier. I took a financial magazine from MinWoo’s working table and went to sit near them. “Okay, before we start with the whole heart-to-heart session, we need a solid eye contact,” I explained while holding the magazine in between them, “When I count to three, I’ll remove this magazine and you two need to look in each other’s eyes for 5 seconds. Get it?”

 

Haraboji just gave me a look as though he thought that I had gone bonkers. MinWoo on the other hand began to cough loudly.

 

“What the heck, SooJin?!” he protested defiantly, “You think this is some kind of a dating show? I won’t do it.” He crossed his arms in front of his chest and gave me a look of resolute.

 

No one defies Kim SooJin when she’s set her mind on something.

I repeat.

No one.

 

I gave both of them an icy glare. “JUST DO IT!!!!!” I yelled.

 

They were probably thinking that I might have completely lost it. I would think that I had completely lost it too if I were in their shoes. I was desperate to resolve their misunderstandings and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter