Blast From The Past

At First Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Credits: xRiChan (thanks Ri!! <3)



13 | Blast from The Past

“I oppose”
-Appa

 

KWON MINWOO FANCLUB MEMBERSHIP FORM


 

I, [Name]_____________________________, am 21 years old and above, and I hereby declare that I:

1. Will think about Kwon MinWoo at least 3 times a day.
2. Will respect Kwon MinWoo as Kim SooJin’s future husband.
3. Will not make a move trying to date Kwon MinWoo unless Kim SooJin gives me permission.
4. Will not tolerate violence against Kwon MinWoo.
5. Will welcome Kwon MinWoo with all my heart once he arrived at the village.
6. Will not worship other idols more than him.
7. Will not try to seduce Kwon MinWoo.
8. Will say Kwon MinWoo is the iest man alive if asked.
9. Will not provide any information to the media regarding Kwon MinWoo.
10. Will not try to leave the club or I will die a slow, painful death.

I have paid the 10,000 won membership fee and is willing to pay more should the President instructed me to do so.


Sincerely,

[Signature]__________________
[Name]

 

******************



“What will you do if you only have one day to live?” has been a favourite question asked between Haneul and I. We would ask that question each time before we want to do something stupid; like asking that question could justify whatever ridiculous things that we were about to do.

Our answers had varied, from kidnapping Won Bin, to asking for forgiveness from everyone, to running around in JaeHoon’s lawn to show some appeal. The ‘running around ’ part was obviously Haneul’s, who has been in love with the pig boy since forever.

However, today, should Haneul posed that same question to me, my answer would have been – “I’ll kill you with my bare hands, you and my Umma, you psychopaths!”

The reason being – not only did they make a fanclub of y creature – they even dragged Mr. Kwon out of the car and led him to stand in front of all these ladies – ladies of all ages – so that they could all take a good look of his handsome features, like he was some kind of a rare species of goats from outer space.

The fangirls included my three younger sisters who were busy giggling and staring at Mr. Kwon. I gave them a murderous glare and when they saw me, they gulped. “Umma, we’re going home!” they yelled in fright and continued to run away; most probably heading home.

Mr. Kwon fidgeted on his legs as he blinked rapidly at the large crowd in front of him.

My Umma – remind me to kill her later – even had the nerve to say, “See? I wasn’t lying when I said my future son-in-law is a very y man.”

Mr. Kwon’s face turned to beet red as soon as my mother uttered those ridiculous words.

I cringed, praying to God that what I heard just now was just in my imagination, that my own mother wouldn’t be so embarrassing to say that. Unfortunately, it really happened.

“Is he a celebrity? Has he been on TV?” an old grandmother whom I recognised as the one selling prawns at the market – I kid you not. She was like a hundred years old! – asked as she clung on her granddaughter’s shoulder for support due to her trembling legs. 

“Of course,” Haneul smiled, “He’s all over the news.” She even waved today’s newspaper which had Mr. Kwon’s picture on its front page.

“Halmoni!” I yelled, “If you don’t even know him, why did you join the fanclub?!!” 

It didn’t make any sense how Umma and Haneul managed to persuade all these people to join their ridiculous fanclub when the majority didn’t even know who he was. It would be a completely different story if he was a celebrity. I don’t think they all watched news on TV that much, anyways.

The old lady looked at me, smiling sheepishly, “They showed me his picture. He was so handsome, so I agreed to join and come here today to see him in person. Now that I’ve seen him, I don’t regret my decision.”

There was a chorus of enthusiastic ‘Yes’ after she finished talking; the crowd was agreeing to what she had just said. I rolled my eyes. I can’t believe even an old grandma like this was acting like a stupid fangirl. 

People were always superficial, not excluding this ancient looking grandmother standing before me.

Mr. Kwon blinked hard; his eyelashes fluttering like the wings of a butterfly in distress while I sent death threats with my eyes towards Haneul and Umma who were ushering the so-called fanclub members to take the free cake that they had provided for those who came. These people even named themselves – V.S.L. which stands for Very.y.Ladies. Kinda like Big Bang’s VIP with only two minor changes. 

How very unoriginal of my mother and Haneul.

I took a quick glimpse at Mr. Kwon whose face was a mixture red and blue as he was watching the scene unfolding before him.

“They do all this because of a cake?” he scoffed in disbelief, blinking rapidly.

Then, my mind was taken back to the mini conversation that we had in the car, just a few moments before I dozed off.


“Miss Kim, what do you like so much about your village?” Mr. Kwon asked when he saw how I was happily humming to myself.

“I love everything about it, of course!” I boasted, “Especially the people. They are VERY friendly and nice,” I said, giving him a meaningful look.

Mr. Kwon rolled his eyes. “You mean to say that they’re nothing like me?” he asked wryly.

“I didn’t say that,” I said with a smug smile, “But trust me, you won’t even believe that this type of people still exist in this world. They’re just too nice.”


Suddenly, I heard someone yelled “We oppose!” loudly, breaking my trance. The voice sounded uncannily like my father’s. True enough, when I looked up, I saw my father with a few other angry-looking men behind him, waving the “Anti-y” banners. 

As soon as my father saw me, he waved excitedly, “Hi, SooJin honey!” he called. I waved back, still with a confused look on my face. When he saw Mr. Kwon standing beside me, he gave him an eerie cold stare.

Umma who saw this, went running to stand in front of me and Mr. Kwon. “Yah, what are you doing?!” she yelled.

Appa marched a bit further so that the distance between them was shortened to around a few meters from each other. Upon seeing this, his followers began to follow suit behind him. Haneul then alerted the VSL and they went to stand behind Umma to support her. It was like a battlefield out there, I swear to God.

“We oppose to this fanclub!” Appa yelled defiantly, “Stop this ridiculous thing!” It was followed by the uproar from his followers, agreeing to what he had said.

I knew I could always count on Appa to stop the madness that is my Umma.

Umma snickered. “You’re just jealous because you’re not y enough, not like our future son-in-law.” This was followed by the loud noise of cheers from the rest of VSL, including Haneul.

“You’ve lost, uncle!” Haneul chirped excitedly.

Oh my God!

I couldn’t believe my ears that she said that. It was like adding oil to fire. I could see Appa’s body burning up with fury as he gave Umma a look full of rage.

“YAH KIM YEJIN!” he yelled loudly, silencing the entire crowd, “GO BACK HOME NOW! And you,” he looked at Mr. Kwon, “we’re leaving with your car!”

Appa, even though still in his enraged state of mind, still didn’t forget to make use of the whole situation. I’m sure he was only using the opportunity to get a free ride in Mr. Kwon’s fancy car. He marched forward towards the car, dragging Umma by the wrist as he went along. 

I watched how Mr. Kwon practically ran to open the door of the backseat to let them in. The way he looked at the time, it was like he was really afraid of my father.

“Don’t forget me!” Haneul said, and quickly jumped into the car to squeeze herself beside Umma.

“What about us?” one of Appa’s followers yelled as they came nearer to the car, “Can we follow you?” he asked with an expectant smile on his face.

When Mr. Kwon had closed the door, Appa turned down the window. “I’m afraid, that’s not possible. You guys can go home. This is my future son-in-law’s car,” he said with pride and the follower’s smile left his face.

Mr. Kwon turned to look at me. “You’re right, Miss Kim,” he said, “I can’t believe this type of people still exist in this world.”

Oh, he thinks he’s so funny.


**************


[Awkward silence]

“Have a drink, MinWoo-shi.”
“Thanks.”

*Gulped*

[Awkward silence]

“How’s the journey?”
“Very good.”

[Awkward silence]

I played with my cuticles while Mr. Kwon fidgeted in his seat. Appa was still giving Mr. Kwon the death glare and I think he was trying his best to avoid the former’s piercing gaze.

I heaved a sigh. I wonder when it will all end.

Appa cleared his throat, causing us both to look up at him. The furious glare hadn’t left his face. “So, you’re Kwon MinWoo,” he said, emphasizing on the name like he had some problem with it. Mr. Kwon nodded. “You’re my daughter’s fiancé,” he continued to say. Mr. Kwon nodded again. “You want to die?”

Mr. Kwon nodded but stopped in the middle when he realized what he had just agreed himself to. “Err.. I beg your pardon?” his voice was coming out all squishy and timid.

“Appa!” I yelled in protest and watched as my father snickered.

“Shut up,” he said, “It’s not wrong for me to have a little fun, isn’t it?”

I rolled my eyes.

“Uncle, you’re so funny!” Haneul laughed but immediately stopped when she saw Appa’s murderous glare. 

“Kwon MinWoo,” he said, in such a way that people know how disgusted he was with the name just by hearing him say it, “Don’t expect me to go jumping up and down with joy that you’re engaged to my eldest daughter because you’re rich. I won’t.”

“Yes, Abonim,” Mr. Kwon replied curtly.

“Furthermore, I’m still not happy with this whole public engagement but since you’ve just arrived today, I’ll let you off the hook. Be prepared for tomorrow, I might want to interrogate you,” Appa said.

“In-int-interrogate me, Abonim?” Mr. Kwon stuttered. Sweats were already forming on the temples of his head.

“Yah, why are you doing this? Look at the poor boy. He’s already sweating!” Umma interrupted, probably feeling the pain that Mr. Kwon was going through. “SooJin, bring him out for a stroll. Don’t let your father’s words ruin this trip.”

“But this is not a trip!” I protested. How can this be called a trip when the exact reason why we came was because of my father’s request?

“So, you prefer to sit here and listen to your father?” Umma asked.

Mr. Kwon abruptly stood up and grabbed my wrist. “We’re going,” he declared hastily and dragged me towards the door. “See you later,” he said, not even looking at the three of them as he waved.

“Have fun!” Haneul called, “Hope you’ll bump into JiWoon!”

The nerve of that girl!
I am so going to kill Haneul after this!
Thankfully, JiWoon was not in the village when I left. He had left here before I left for Seoul.

I saw Mr. Kwon raised his eyebrow when he heard that but he didn’t say anything. He kept on walking, leading me by the wrist.

“Mr. Kwon, you can let go now,” I said, referring to my wrist still in his firm grasp.

“Right,” he said after he realized it.

We wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter