Their Mistakes

Destined Choices [COMPLETED]
Destined Choices
CHAPTER 4
Kim So Eun sat down impatiently for her wedding ceremony to begin.

It was Sunday morning and this was the day she had been dreading.

She was to get married to Kim Bum, a man whom she refused to meet until their wedding day. She was afraid that she would run away from the wedding after meeting him. She was afraid that she would miss Ki Bum so much until she would forsake her family and their company which was in crisis. She was afraid of the reality, especially the fact that she had to get married to a well-known Cassanova and that many were awaiting to watch how their marriage would develop and fail.

Afterall, the Kims Enterprise and the Kim Company were the two major rivals in the business field. Now that they were becoming allies through such a marriage, many business competitors were keeping their eyes tightly on the wedding and how the two major companies were going to either work hand-in-hand or kill each other. In addition, the secret identity of the only heiress to the Kim Company would be exposed and that it was rumoured that the younger heir to the Kims Enterprise would attend the wedding as well. Concealed identities would be revealed too.

This wedding caused a buzz in the media. It was the biggest event of the year to many.

Kim So Eun, however, begged to differ. To others, it was a joyous and glamorous event, but to her, it was just dread and grief. She braced herself and smiled to her own reflection in the mirror.

A white veil covered her face and her facial features were only somehow visible. She raised her fingers up to touch her own face. Pale red lipstick was put onto her lips; shades of pink were on her cheeks and when she blinked her eyes, she could see the glittery shades of light pink above her eyes. Her stylist had indeed done a good job.

“People always say women are the prettiest on their wedding days. I can’t help but agree with it,” a cheery voice rang out clearly in the waiting room which So Eun was in, alone. So Eun had gotten permission from her parents for some time alone before she stepped in and exchanged vows with that man.

“Hye Sun,” So Eun called out her stylist’s name. “This is all thanks to you! You look pretty too. I am so glad to have you as my bridesmaid.”

Hye Sun smiled gleefully at the bride. They had only known each other for a week but they were already the best of friends who could confess to each other about everything. Indeed, Hye Sun knew So Eun’s past with Ki Bum and her true feelings. However, Hye Sun also understood the reality and that So Eun had to get married to Kim Bum even if she did not love him. All Hye Sun felt that she could do was to help her best friend endure and complete the ceremony and the dinner later that night. Hye Sun placed her hand on So Eun’s shoulder and gave her an encouraging smile.

So Eun smiled with teary eyes at Hye Sun’s attempt to encourage her. Frankly, So Eun had managed to endure through the unbearable week of wedding preparations because of Hye Sun. So Eun remembered how she cried so badly in Hye Sun’s embrace without others’ knowing. The whole week was a torture.

“It is time to go out, Hye Sun and So Eun.” The bride and bridesmaid hugged each other tightly and prepared themselves to go out.

So Eun took in a deep breath. The day was here and all she wanted was to get it over and done with.

Kim Bum stood in the hall with his groomsmen.

Kim Bum stood out in his white suit among the other three men who were dressed in black suits. Afterall, Kim Bum was the groom.

Despite their composed appearances, all the four of them were feeling nervous. They had never been really in a serious relationship before, even if they had a girlfriend, they would continue frequenting pubs and had casual dates with other females. The rule for the four of them was “never keep to one or else you will be in the grave”. Now, Min Ho, Kim Joon and Hyun Joong felt like they were watching their brother, Kim Bum, stepping towards the ‘grave’, especially many had said that marriage was the grave of love. However, Kim Bum had not even seen his bride before, they were never in love and all these added up to worse expectations of heightened danger, risk and death to the four men.

Kim Bum could not help but wriggle his toes in anxiety. In his mind, he kept thinking about the previous night in the pub with his three brothers and the ladies.

It was his last Bachelor’s night.

He was getting married and he was feeling unsure. He could not stop worrying about a future shared with a stranger. His brothers were of no help at all too as they had only been teasing him since last night. Even though Kim Bum could sense that his brothers were trying very hard to be hopeful for him, Kim Bum still felt lost.

Suddenly, his train of thoughts was interrupted when he saw Hye Sun stepped in, holding a bouquet of flowers. Hye Sun was the bridesmaid.

“That woman didn’t tell me she is the bridesmaid. How dare she?” Kim Bum chuckled in his heart at Min Ho’s reaction. From the start, Kim Bum did not understand why Min Ho would find such an abusive girlfriend like Hye Sun. Hye Sun, no doubt, was attractive. She had the most comforting smile and her eyes were amazing. Her emotions were always revealed through her eyes, without fail. Hyun Joong had introduced her to them during one dinner. She was his best friend.

The second time Kim Bum met Hye Sun was when she was introduced to them again by Min Ho as his girlfriend. Kim Bum would never forget the instantaneous melancholic expression on Hyun Joong’s face then. Hye Sun and Min Ho were immersed in their happiness, with bright and wide smiles. However, Kim Bum did not approach Hyun Joong on this matter. He knew Hyun Joong was a sensitive man who would keep most of his secrets in his heart or the only person whom he would confide in was Hye Sun.

Min Ho and Hye Sun’s relationship was not as smooth though, which was expected. Min Ho continued his flirtatious ways, hurting Hye Sun again and again. Despite many arguments and beatings by Hye Sun on Min Ho, they stayed together, with much efforts put in by Hyun Joong. Hyun Joong was always the peacemaker and the messenger between the two.

Kim Bum thought back to the time when he finally could not contain his curiosity and inquired Hyun Joong, “Why do you keep helping them? I mean, if they really love each other, they should be able to solve all these problems on their own. Min Ho should willingly change himself to show Hye Sun.”

Hyun Joong’s calm reply was, “If you love someone you would be willing to give up everything for them, but if they loved you back, they would never ask you to.”

Once again, Kim Bum’s thoughts were broken when he saw his bride entered.

“An angel,” was Kim Bum’s first impression of Kim So Eun.

Dressed in a long white wedding gown which was laced at the bottom, So Eun took small and cautious steps. Her gown revealed her petite figure and also, since it was strapless, her bare shoulders were shown. Her fair smooth skin was exposed. So Eun tightened her fingers around the bouquet of flowers she was holding.

So Eun forced herself to stand straight and calmly beside Kim Bum.

“He is indeed handsome,” was So Eun’s first impression of Kim Bum.

Kim Bum tilted his gaze to his bride. She was definitely beautiful but not his ideal type as he preferred to go for y ladies. However, there was something different about her and it made her stood out from all the females he had ever met. Kim Bum could not place his finger on the feeling and the difference about So Eun. His final conclusion after about a minute or two or scrutinising her appearances was that Kim So Eun was definitely not a simple lady but surely an attractive one.

“Mr Kim Sang Bum,” the priest cleared his throat. Kim Bum noticed the snicker on his brothers’ faces. He detested being called his full name. Kim Bum felt a little disappointed when he could not see his younger brother around.

“Forget about it. He must be enjoying life outside, without all these crazy weddings and pressure.” Kim Bum tried to assure himself in the way he knew best - assuming.

“Will you take Miss Kim So Eun to be your wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till in death you part?”

“I do.” Kim Bum firmly replied the only two words. He had made his choice to accept the marriage and to carry on with it. “I will never regret this,” Kim Bum told himself and assured himself. The marriage was part of his plan to get back at his parents. He did not want to fail it.

“Miss Kim So Eun, will you take Mr Kim Sang Bum to be your wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till in death you part?

“I do.” Kim So Eun plucked up all her courage and declared the two words with such strong determination that Hye Sun began tearing for her friend’s fate.

“So Eun, it must be hard on you.” Hye Sun wiped off her tears.

“And with this ring I thee wed, and with my body I thee honor, and pledge my faithfulness,” Kim Bum and Kim So Eun continued to exchange their vows.

The two of them exchanged rings. Kim Bum pulled So Eun’s veil up and was finally able to get a closer look at her. He blinked and smiled politely at her. So Eun gazed timidly at Kim Bum and smiled back in graciousness. Kim Bum leaned and kissed So Eun on her right cheek. A tear escaped from So Eun’s eyes as realization hit her hard. She was married, to Kim Bum and not Kim Ki Bum. She had married a man she did not love and had abandoned the man she truly and deeply loved. She wondered if Ki Bum was alright.

The tear did not escape from Kim Bum’s eyes.

“Are you that happy that you married me?” Kim Bum had wanted to ask So Eun that but he decided to save the question for later since they had to spend their future together. At the thought or the assumption he made about his wife in love with him just by looking at him, Kim Bum grinned.

Kim Sang Bum and Kim So Eun were officially declared husband and wife in front of the media and many others. People started taking photographs.

The newly-weds were then sent back to a hotel room which was specially set up for them. Then, throughout the whole afternoon, Kim Bum and Kim So Eun attended and greeted their parents by serving tea and chatting casually. Also, friends and relatives zoomed in and out of their room, congratulating them and praising how compatible they were. The media was banned from entering their room though with the help of security guards and Kim Joon’s men.

Kim Bum and So Eun were tired from the whole afternoon of listening to the same praises and words of congratulation. Both of them were finally relieved when they could have some time on their own to relax and rest before the night arrived.

“I will take a bath first,” were So Eun’s words to Kim Bum. They had to share a room since they were wedded. So Eun stepped into the shower, allowing the water to wash away her exhaustion and also her tears of sorrow.

Kim Bum sat on the bed, waiting for So Eun to step out, so that he could have his turn for a shower too. Drowsiness overwhelmed him and his heavy eyelids eventually covered his eyes.

In the Incheon Airport, Kim Ki Bum was getting ready to fly to Italy to attend his elder brother’s wedding dinner. He knew he had to attend it for his brother’s sake, no matter how much he did not want to. So Eun had not been found but he was not going to give up his search. While he was away in Italy, Ga Eul would continue his search for So Eun. He had planned to leave right after the wedding dinner.

Kim Bum and Kim So Eun stepped into the five-star restaurant which was booked by their parents. All the people were seated and they watched the newly-weds with envious eyes. So Eun was holding hands with Kim Bum and they looked like a sweet and loving couple who were extraordinarily compatible. So Eun had her sweet smile plastered on her face while Kim Bum kept his playboy smile on. No one could actually sense the tense movements of the couple. They proceeded on to say their speech which was prepared by some writers and went on to cut their wedding cake.

Both of them heaved a sigh of relief when they finally got to their seats. Upon hearing the same sigh of relief, both of them revealed a genuine small smile to each other. With much chemistry, they managed to communicate through their eyes, encouraging each other that they just had to complete this wedding act.

“He is not so bad,” So Eun thought after the eye-to-eye communication with Kim Bum.

“She should be easy to get along with.” Kim Bum chuckled at how they could communicate through their eyes.

Min Ho, Hyun Joong, Kim Joon, Hye Sun and the parents of both Kim Bum and So Eun were at the same table. However, there was an empty seat left. So Eun was curious and hence, she tugged Kim Bum’s suit.

“Hey, friend, the empty seat is reserved for…” So Eun kept her bright eyes fixed at Kim Bum’s handsome face and asked in a whisper.

“It is for my younger brother. I guess he should not be coming. And Miss Kim So Eun, I am supposed to be your husband and not a friend only.” Kim Bum playfully kissed So Eun lightly on her cheek again.

“Mr Kim Sang Bum, I guess we better start to learn to get along with each other as friends first. Stop taking advantage of me too,” So Eun kept her voice low so that no one could hear their conversation. Her tone was firm and strict.

“On one condition; stop calling me Kim Sang Bum. My name is Kim Bum.” Kim Bum hissed softly. So Eun smiled brightly as she witnessed Kim Bum’s reaction upon being called his full name.

“It is so funny.” So Eun could not stop smiling at Kim Bum’s reaction.

“Deal!” So Eun finally stated and hooked her pinky with Kim Bum’s pinky. “It is a promise.”

“Deal. You are so childish.” Kim Bum commented upon So Eun’s act and chortled.

“Looks like the two of them would be able to get along quite well.” Kim Joon commented while observing the newly-weds. Hyun Joong merely nodded as he watched Min Ho and Hye Sun begin to indulge themselves in an argument again. Somehow, their arguments also led to a rise in their feelings towards each other and their love seemed to become stronger afterwards. Hyun Joong sipped his red wine.

Suddenly, a young dashing man dressed in a black suit stepped in, attracting all eyes.

“It cannot be …” So Eun mumbled as she saw the nearing figure.

“Umma, Appa, Hyung, I am sorry I am late. I wish the newly-weds eternal blissfulness.” The young man bowed immediately when he reached the table.

“Kim Ki Bum.” Kim Bum called as tears began to form in his eyes. He never realised how much he would miss his younger brother.

Ki Bum stood upright again, raised his eyes to meet his brother’s, and grinned. Tears were also forming in So Eun’s eyes. It was only one week but she had missed him so much.

Ki Bum’s smile froze when he noticed the lady beside his elder brother.

“Hyung, that is …” he pointed timidly and politely with his thumb towards So Eun.

“Kim So Eun, my wife.” Kim Bum replied in an as-a-matter-of-fact manner.

“Kim So Eun, my wife.” Kim Bum’s short reply stabbed Ki Bum’s heart. His beloved So Eun was married to none other than his elder brother.

“What is the world coming to?” Ki Bum wondered and fought the urge to pull So Eun away. However, he knew it was too late. Kim Bum and So Eun were officially husband and wife. He could not afford to create a mess out of the perfect situation then and So Eun’s reaction proved Ki Bum that it was really too late.

“Hi, Ki Bum.” So Eun greeted politely, no longer in the usual loving way. So Eun decided that she would not be able to pretend that she did not know Ki Bum at all, that was too arduous. She had to acknowledge him but no longer as her lover.

“So Eun,” he called out the name in pain.

“You two know each other?” Kim Bum’s mother asked.

“We are best friends in school.” So Eun lied, resisting the urge to cry. Ki Bum merely nodded as he could do nothing else.

“Best friends.” The two words kept replaying in Ki Bum’s mind and the two words hurt him deeply. “We are just best friends, aren’t we?” Ki Bum endured through the dinner and quickly left afterwards. He did not know how to face So Eun and his brother. He did not know how to face the reality.

Kim Bum chuckled at the thought of his brother and his wife being best friends. “Destiny is so amazing.”

So Eun ate quietly throughout the dinner and then retreated to the hotel room earlier than Kim Bum who was busy drinking with his brothers. Hye Sun had helped her into her room. She broke down n front of Hye Sun and cried herself to sleep. “Ki Bum…” she mumbled his name profusely in her sleep.

Kim Bum was totally drunk when he entered the room. He did not sense the tension between So Eun and Ki Bum and continued to drink heartily. Upon seeing So Eun on the bad, he pounced onto her.

“Her scent is so irresistible …” Kim Bum started kissing So Eun.

In a drunken state, Kim Bum misheard that So Eun was calling for him. He grinned with pleasure when he thought of how much his wife wanted him.

“So Eun …” his lips devoured her lips greedily.

On their wedding night, Kim Bum and So Eun lost themselves to each other.

Ki Bum was drinking non-stop in his room. He had delayed his return to Korea and had also informed Ga Eul that he had found So Eun, married to his elder brother.

Hye Sun was in another hotel room, worried for So Eun, but there was nothing she could do. In addition, Min Ho was in her room, pestering her with his kisses.

Hyun Joong and Kim Joon were the only relaxed people, sleeping peacefully without any disturbances.

-

ENJOY! =]

th1rd3ye