His Search

Destined Choices [COMPLETED]
Destined Choices
CHAPTER 3

-

Ki Bum finally endured until Saturday night. He called So Eun but no one picked up. He then decided to leave voice message. Little did he know that So Eun had already abandoned her handphone in where she once had stayed. So Eun had changed her handphone and her number too. She could not afford to give Ki Bum any clues to her whereabouts.

Then, Sunday arrived. Ki Bum was bored and wanted to look for So Eun but So Eun who was now in Italy cleverly sent Ki Bum an email claiming that she would be out of town until Friday. In the email, she explained that she had family matters to attend to and that she would be unable to meet him or contact him for a week. Ki Bum could only sigh. He missed So Eun.

Finally it was Saturday morning. Ki Bum woke up happily, thinking that he would be able to see So Eun today. However, a phone call changed his mood and his mind to find So Eun.

“Ki Bum, my son. How have you been?” Ki Bum recognized his mother’s voice immediately.

“Umma (mother), I have been fine. How are you then?” Ki Bum replied nonchalantly. It was not that he disliked his parents; he just could not find himself caring for them. Afterall, all they had in mind had always been their dearest company.

“I am alright. Remember you had rejected the choice to marry the daughter of the owners of Kim Company?” It was obvious to Ki Bum that his mother was trying to sound as sensitive as possible.

“Yes,” Ki Bum could remember the previous phone call that he had received from his mother. His mother had asked him if he would like to consider a marriage proposal and he rejected it immediately, without even knowing that the lady was the daughter of Kim Company. However, he would not bother to find it out too, he had So Eun and she was all that mattered to him. He had planned to marry So Eun in the near future.

“Your bother is marrying her. The wedding would be held tomorrow in Italy. We have already sent your air ticket to you. We just hope you will attend it.” His mother paused for a few moments, waiting for his reply.

“I will go. Does he know how the daughter of the owners of Kim Company looks like?” Ki Bum answered calmly, even though, he was still trying to digest the news. His elder brother, Kim Bum, the heartbreaker was going to get married. That was shocking.

“No, they are only meeting each other tomorrow morning when they are exchanging vows.” Ki Bum could clearly hear his mother sigh.

“Alright, I get it. Bye, Umma!” Ki Bum bid farewell first and ended the call.

“Kim Bum is marrying someone without knowing her looks? That is amazingly surprising. I thought he had said that he would marry a female with the face of Kim Tae Hee and the body of Lee Hyo Ri …” Ki Bum recalled about the past where he and Kim Bum would lie down in their big bed where they would start to discuss about their ideal lovers. Ki Bum wondered and forgot that he was to go to find So Eun. He felt guilty after his mother’s call. He had not visited his family ever since he had managed to leave it.

Being born as Kim Ki Bum was definitely not a blessing. Being Kim Bum’s younger brother and one of the heirs to Kims Enterprise were two of the things that he would never wish for.

The life of Kim Ki Bum was too stressful and full of competition. He had to excel in everything but he could not ask for the most basic parental love. He knew Kim Bum doted on him but Kim Bum had always been too perfect. Ki Bum was fearful of Kim Bum as Kim Bum was talented and excellent in all aspects. He could play the piano, sing, dance and act. He was always the outstanding boy, actively participating in all kinds of activities.

Ki Bum knew he would not lose to Kim Bum in any aspect as well, but he could never outshine his brother too. Ki Bum had a hard time catching up with Kim Bum. Even though, the two of them were outstanding and attracted a lot of attention, Ki Bum did not enjoy his life then as Kim Ki Bum.

It was only after he had left, then he could really enjoy his life. No doubt, he was still Kim Ki Bum but his identity as one of the heirs to Kims Enterprise was concealed. He did not have the need to be outstanding or perfect anymore. He could just be an ordinary male student and he truly could rest after all these years. He did not contact his brother because he was afraid. He was afraid that Kim Bum might just either decide to pull him back to his old life or join him in his new life. He needed and wanted time alone, for people to recognize him for who he was, and not Kim Bum’s brother.

Ki Bum sighed as he recollected about the past and his feelings. It had been long enough, he should go back and witness for himself his elder brother’s wedding. Afterall, Kim Bum really doted on him.

“Hyung (elder brother), I will definitely give you my blessings. I had been selfish and it is time I should face you.” Ki Bum thought.. He then drifted to sleep as tears had stung his eyes. He had not cried for a long time.

By the time he woke up, Ki Bum realised that it was noon. Someone had been pressing the doorbell for some time. He immediately jumped up from his bed, thinking that So Eun must be back.

Disappointment drowned him when he received the package sent by a man. In it lay an air ticket to Italy.

“So Eun …” Ki Bum mumbled her name as he tried calling her again. There was no answer again. He had even left a few voice messages but there was no reply too.

He took a quick shower and decided to look for So Eun. Just as he was about to step out of his house, his handphone rang.

“Ki Bum, this is Ga Eul. Meet me at the usual cafe,” The call ended.

“Ga Eul?” Ki Bum wondered. Ga Eul was So Eun’s closest friend and his good friend too. Ga Eul had always grumbled jokingly being their messenger when So Eun and he were in an argument. Ki Bum then headed to the cafe.

In Light Cafe, Ga Eul sat silently, stirring her cup of coffee. She had just received a letter from So Eun in the morning. Ga Eul knew So Eun must have planned all these. A letter would only be received by one after a few days.

It was going to be two in the afternoon. She wondered what was taking Ki Bum so long. She remembered calling Ki Bum at one o’clock.

“Sorry, what’s up?” Ki Bum slipped into the seat, facing Ga Eul. He knew she was getting impatient from her furrowed brows.

“Read this.” Ga Eul briefly answered.

Ki Bum took the letter from Ga Eul and opened it warily, eyeing Ga Eul’s serious look.

“Ki Bum

By the time you are reading this letter, I would be out of your life already. I know how sad this sounds. However, the truth is always hurtful, isn’t it?

I have sent two letters to Ga Eul. I have estimated that she would only receive these letters on Saturday. One letter is for her, and this letter is for you.

I am leaving, Ki Bum.

I did not know how to tell you this in person and hence I had mustered all my courage to write you this letter. The email regarding my out-of-town stay was true but it did not include the full picture.

I am getting married to another man, Ki Bum. I knew this about two weeks ago. I did not know how to break the news to you. I did not know how to tell you that we had to break up. I did not know how to leave you, but I still did. I had to. I am sorry.

I just want to tell you I love you, Ki Bum. Thank you for all the wonderful times we had spent together. I am sorry for leaving you and hurting you. Please believe me, I am suffering too.

Remember that what your favourite phrase is?

Reality does not indulge wishes.

Till now did I realise its truthfulness.

Ki Bum, please forgive me. I don’t think I will be seeing you again. But if we do get to see each other, I hope we will be able to greet each other happily. We can be good friends.

Goodbye, Ki Bum. I wish that you will find your happiness and true love soon. Take care of Ga Eul for me too.

Your beautiful past (I hope we did share a beautiful past together)
Kim So Eun. ”

“This cannot be the truth …” Ki Bum’s voice was shivering. This was the second time in a day that he cried.

“I am afraid that this is the truth. I went to find So Eun today. Her house was cleared and it was empty. Only her handphone was left there. Ki Bum …” Ga Eul did not know how to continue. She had been shocked at her best friend’s sudden appearance.

Ki Bum crushed the letter with clenched fists. He had to find So Eun, no matter where she would be hiding now. He would stop her from marrying another man. He knew that So Eun loved him. She was his woman.

So Eun’s laughter, So Eun’s scent, So Eun’s voice; everything about So Eun was unforgettable. Ki Bum stood up and ran out of the Light Cafe.

“Ki Bum!” Ga Eul shouted and tried to run after him but Ki Bum was sprinting away madly. Ga Eul could not catch up with him.

“Ki Bum … So Eun, how could you do this to us?” Ga Eul knelt on the streets and started crying.

Ki Bum did not know where he was running to. He just needed to run to vent his overwhelming emotions. Then, his mind became clear and he began running from one place to another, all the places that So Eun often visited were to be searched thoroughly.

“So Eun! So Eun!” Ki Bum searched frantically. Before he knew it, it was Sunday morning. He had delayed his flight to Italy till the afternoon. He decided that he would just attend the wedding dinner; the most important task on hand was to find So Eun.

-

OK. NEW UPDATE! HOPE MORE OF SOEUL FANS WILL READ THIS AND COMMENT. ENJOY. AND BIG THANKS TO KIMJOONIE FROM http://crepuscular-tears.blogspot.com/ . =] I LOVE THE POSTER. =] THANK YOU, KIMJOONIE! YOU HAVE PUT IN A LOT OF EFFORTS AND I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. SORRY TO TROUBLE YOU. =X
SOEUL!

th1rd3ye