His Promise

Destined Choices [COMPLETED]
Destined Choices
CHAPTER 17

“So Eun, did you have a good time today?” Kim Bum approached his wife.

So Eun looked up from her book and her gaze met her husband’s sparkling eyes. She nodded her head silently.

“Good! I will have a quick shower first. After that, I have some matters to discuss with you.” Kim Bum stepped into the bathroom.

So Eun sighed. No doubt, she had a great time with Kim Joon and Hyun Joong. However, when she faced Kim Bum directly at home, all her happiness seemed to disappear immediately. She did not hate him but she did not know how to face him happily. When she saw him, she would be reminded of her break-up with Ki Bum. Speaking of it, So Eun wondered how Ki Bum was. She wondered how Ga Eul would be as well.

She missed the two of them and the past in which the three were living in harmony and glee.

She sighed.

Ki Bum was staring blankly into space in his own apartment. In his mind, the scenes of his break-up with So Eun never stopped replaying.

“So Eun… I miss you so much…” Ki Bum covered his face with both his palms.

Ki Bum still could not accept the fact that So Eun had broken up with him, be it really due to their faltering relationship or his brother’s threat. Plus, he had to reject Ga Eul’s kind intentions. It was hard, suffering through a heart break, and causing a heart break to another good friend. Life was hard.

“Ga Eul, I am sorry. I only have So Eun in my heart… I… I…” Ki Bum was at a loss of words when he approached Ga Eul in the cafe then.

“I understand, Ki Bum. I know this. However, I just could not pull myself out of this. I tried. At times, I did selfishly think that maybe after So Eun had gotten married, you would take a second look at me. Maybe then, all of us can have happy endings. Then I realised that it was not possible. It is alright, Ki Bum.” Ga Eul’s voice was quivering. Love did make people selfish. Ga Eul had hoped and tried her best during her time with Ki Bum to make him notice her. However, everything they talked about was about So Eun or otherwise schoolwork.

“Ga Eul…” Ki Bum called out in an apologetic tone.

“Just give me some time to cool down and let me be my usual self. I just need some time, Ki Bum.” Ga Eul blinked her eyes and tears fell. She kept her head low and stirred her dark coffee which was turning cold.

Ki Bum remained silent as well. He had been really inconsiderate, he realised. Ga Eul had really been there for him, always, without fail. He never really considered her feelings and just kept rambling on about So Eun and nothing else. He smirked, mocking himself bitterly. He was getting payback now.

Life was such a joke.

His lover was married to his elder brother.

His best friend was in love with him but he could not love her back.

He pondered hard about the purpose of his existence.

Despite successfully being able to create his own life, without interference of his parents, he had no considerable achievements in his life. Perhaps, it was time to do something else.

Ki Bum stared at Ga Eul. Her dream had always been to go to all the different locations in the world, taking photographs and writing reports, as well as doing voluntary work. However, due to the financial costs, she had not been able to achieve her dream yet.

“Ga Eul, I have this idea for us. It is for the both of us, to take a break, as well as complete our school project. We have the long weekend, don’t we? You can listen to me first. Afterwards, when you are ready, you can reply. Let’s go on a holiday…” Ki Bum began outlining a plan.

Ga Eul agreed. Both of them would be going overseas to some locations soon.

After recalling what had happened, Ki Bum decided to stop crying. He had initiated this plan and he was going to make it work.

“So Eun, I am not going to forget you, but maybe you are right. Sooner or later, our relationship will fall. However, I am still not giving you up so easily. I shall come back as a better man and strive to get you back.” Ki Bum determinedly stood up and began packing his bags.

“So Eun! So Eun!” Kim Bum called out for his dazed wife, who appeared to be in deep depressing thoughts, after he stepped out of the bathroom.

So Eun then snapped back to reality from her thoughts.

“This weekend, we will have to attend a function. It is the first time our company has been invited. Thus, you need to prepare and be up to the expected image of Mrs Kim. I hope today’s trip out is beneficial. I heard from Joon and Hyun Joong that you had gotten some really stunning dresses.” Kim Bum announced.

So Eun looked up, wondering if Kim Bum purposely planned for her to get dresses just for the function, and not to cheer her up. Her heart sank further.

“Don’t get me wrong. I really tried to cheer you up. I received the invitation this afternoon while you were choosing the dresses. I definitely didn't plan this.” Kim Bum defended himself; reading So Eun’ thoughts, through the look in her eyes. Their abilities to converse through their eyes never faded.

So Eun nodded her head. She was Mrs Kim.

That was the cold, definite and solid fact.

Kim Bum knelt towards her and wrapped his arms around her neck. He then patted her head gently.

“I know this is hard on you. Even though you did not make me promise you, but I just want to tell you that from now onwards, I will return home straight after work. I will try to pick you up from school everyday. I will do my best to be a more dutiful husband. I can’t promise you that I can stop flirting and having affairs with other women overnight. I need a lot of time to change that. Joon and Hyun Joong just messaged me that I should appreciate you more.” Kim Bum paused.

“I guess I really need to change a little…” Kim Bum lowered his voice. It had never been possible for him to bring himself down in front of another person. However, after seeing So Eun’s smiling face in the multimedia message and reading through the messages later sent by Joon and Hyun Joong, Kim Bum suddenly had the urge to just pull So Eun closer into an embrace.

He wanted to apologise to her for causing so much pain and sufferings.

He realised how much he desired to see her smile and not cry.

Hyun Joong and Joon had told him that he should really appreciate her before he would lose her.

Fear had then crept into him and he wanted to do something.

So Eun stared at the man kneeling in front of her.

“Where was the arrogant and always confident Kim Sang Bum?” So Eun thought, rather taken aback by his words. This was one side of him that she had never expected.

“You should really change for the better.” So Eun let out a little demure smile.

Kim Bum grinned upon seeing her smile.

“I know. I will try to but I am not guaranteeing! Let’s go out for late dinner or supper! Joon and Hyun Joong will be attending the function with us as well. The more the merrier, we are just short of Min Ho and Hye Sun. Those two lovebirds just neglect us after they had gotten married.” Kim Bum pulled So Eun.

“Is this love?” Kim Bum had never stopped questioning and doubting his feelings for So Eun. He was fearful but yet anticipating. Love had been a foreign word to him and now that there was this quick, warm spurt feeling through his heart, love as a feeling, was even harder for Kim Bum to comprehend.

“Whatever!” Kim Bum told himself. “All that matters now is her smile.”

Kim Bum turned, looking at So Eun with the little smile still on her face, and he smiled as well.

-

ENJOY! :D

CHEERS! =D

SMILES! :)

SOEUL! =]

th1rd3ye