Latte

A Kiss To Remember

Chapter 5: Latte

 

“Do you love me?”

The girl nodded, “Of course I do, why are you asking me that all of sudden?”

“Because I feel insecure.”

“Please don’t.”

“How do I know you love me as much as I do?” asked the boy. The girl pecked the boy’s nose, “I love you as much as you love singing. You know I love your voice the best.”

“Why?”

“Because your voice is the last sound I want to hear before I go to bed every night, and the first sound I want to hear every time I wake up in the morning.”

“I love you,” whispered the boy.

“Moron.”

“This moron loves you.”

“I know.”

 

//

 

 

{ Jen's POV }

 

“Listen to my explanation first, Jen!” Junhee ran to me as I walked over her this morning. I skipped breakfast—the sausage omelet and a bottle of milk Junhee prepared for us.

I walked as fast as I can to catch the second bus this morning. I knew Junhee was in behind me so I said, “No explanation.”

“I owe you one!”

I turned my body and looked at her, “What’s this time? Are you going to say that guy with red hair didn’t mean to do it and he lost control for some reason and I have to understand the circumstance? God damn it, are you even my best friend?”

“Shut up your mouth, Jen!”

I gasped. This is the first time Junhee saying those words to me. She might be selfish but she never used harsh words before. I saw her hurtful eyes, and those became teary. My heart felt so full.

“Junhee,”

“Just so you know, Jen. I did everything to make you remember the most important thing you forgot. Sorry for the trouble last night,” Junhee walked, passing me by.

I remain quiet, didn’t know what to say. I swear Junhee was crying, that’s why she left me without any longer explanation she should give me.

 

//

 

{ Ken's POV }

 

I zipped my jacket and went through the crossing line. I came to a café I used to visit every time I got bored in dorm or after exercise. Suddenly my eyes captured a girl entered the café. Her face wasn’t at the best state, I supposed—because I didn’t see those sparkling eyes.

“Can I sit here?”

She looked up, a little bit shocked, but didn’t give me a straight answer. I added, “It’s okay if you don’t want. I can—”

“Sure.”

I pulled out the chair and put my hot chocolate on the table. She got a latte with vanilla cream and a piece of tiramisu shortcake. Latte was Leo’s favorite drink.

“I’m sorry for last night,” I opened a conversation. She nodded, took a bite of her tiramisu.

“He has been acted so strange these days,” I added.

“No schedule for you today, uh?” she asked without looking at me. She tried to change the topic of our conversation. I nodded, but as soon as I realized she couldn’t see it, I answered, “Yeah.”

“You’re Ken, right?” asked her again, lowered her voice.

“Yes.”

She took a sip of her latte, “So, Ken. Is it true that Junhee won a contest and the grand prize was our last night dinner?”

I shook my head, “No. Leo hyung asked us out; he said Junhee already booked a restaurant for us.”

“Junhee?”

“Junhee is Leo’s high school friend,” I said, I didn’t want to bring up the girlfriend-boyfriend relationship that should be between her and Leo. The six of us agreed that it’d be our secret, but I wasn’t sure it was my reason why I didn’t say it.

She gasped, puzzled. She looked so pale and it turned me worrying her; I waved my hand right in front of her face, “Are you okay?”

She nodded. But I didn’t think so.

 

//

 

{ Jen's POV }

 

Right after I arrived at apartment, my phone rang. I took a look who’s the caller but it was unknown number. I swiped the screen and put the phone between my ear and mouth, “Hello?”

“Jen?”

It was the red haired guy’s voice.

“Sorry, I mean, Jaein.”

“What’s your problem?”

“I’m sorry for the incident last night.”

“I forgave you. So please don’t call me again.”

“Jen—Jaein,”

“…”

“I’ve been waiting for you for a year. I’ve been missed you.”

“I’m sorry, I have to go.”

Click.

I cut off the conversation; of course Junhee was the one who gave my number to him. I opened the door and the apartment. I couldn’t find Junhee anywhere. I gasped, checking her wardrobe in hurry. Dammit. Junhee left apartment, as I found a paper she put on her wardrobe.

 

Jen, I think I need to visit my parents. I’ve been missed them too much, and I’ll back as soon as possible. Don’t worry. It has nothing to do with what happened last night nor this morning.

I swear it is worth to remember, Jen.

Love you,

Junhee.

 

Even Junhee mentioned that there wasn’t any relation about her leaving with what happened between us, I still felt guilty. It wasn’t like it was the first time Junhee and I got into a fight, but it was the first time I didn’t want to hear Junhee’s explanation.

The apartment felt so empty without Junhee. She turned off her phone, I couldn’t even call her. Why did I become so childish and irritable? Was it true that I got mad because that red haired guy was being impolite to me or I got angry to myself because I couldn’t remember anything that I should remember?

 

//

 

{ Leo's POV }

 

Ken got back home at 4 p.m, and Hakyeon scolded him because he missed one hour for exercising. I smelled chocolate from his breathe, so I asked him after the vocal class ended and other members took a bath.

“Went to café, uh?”

Ken leaned his back to the wall and shoved his hands to the pocket of his jacket. He let a deep sigh, “So she is the one who always comes to your dreams, the owner of the name you murmured while sleeping, girl that drove you crazy.”

I narrowed my eyebrows; Ken cut my question that hasn’t out from my tongue, “Too bad she can’t remember you.”

I clenched my fist.

Ken took some steps and moved closer to me, “I knew it since the first time I saw her, at our fan sign event. You couldn’t take your eyes off her, and I felt you’re longing to her.

Ken added more, “But she brought my placard.”

“What the hell are you trying to tell me?” I grinned. I was sure he knew that the gaze I gave to him wasn’t a friendly one. Ken smiled once again; it was to see him did it.

“I met her at café. She ordered latte, your favorite. I guess you two used to share latte each other back then,” said Ken, he left the room and me who was standing quietly.

I lost the strength of my knees, so I let my body fell down to the floor. Latte was the reason why I met her. She was too friendly to someone she meet for the first time, shared her latte just because she knew the cafeteria run out of latte but I really wanted to drink it.

 

“Want to share?” she asked.

I was too shocked to say yes but she handed me an empty plastic glass and a straw. She smiled, “Ahn Jaein.”  

“Jung Taekwoon,” I replied and she poured her latte to the empty glass, she divided it into two glasses so both of us could enjoy the latte, “Yours.”

“Thanks.”

“Why do you like latte?” she asked. I didn’t have any proper answer so I just shook my head and gave her a slight smile. She continued her words, “My older brother loves latte. I miss him so much, but I can only drink his favorite latte.”

“Why don’t you visit him?” I asked with curiosity.

She smiled, “Do you think the angels would allow me to visit my brother in heaven?”

“—Sorry.”

“That stupid must be so lonely right there. I wonder if God allowed me to accompany him. He was too clumsy to do all his things without my helps,” she lowered her voice. I stopped her, “Don’t say that.”

“Eh?”

“If you were there, who would share her latte with me?” I said. But seconds after it, I regretted my words. They were the most stupid words I’ve ever said.

She smiled—and I was so mesmerize—then said, “Thank you. That’s sweet.”

“Sorry I don’t mean like—”

“Are you free this Friday? I have double free tickets for a movie.” She offered, and I said yes. It was the first time I saw a stunning girl and she smiled like an angel. She was all the beautiful I’ve ever seen.

 

I fell asleep at vocal room, and I’m sure that I saw her in my dream, just like our first meeting. As soon as I woke up, I realized that she changed so much. I miss the old her.

Too much, I couldn’t handle anymore.