Mini Story 2 part 2

It's Not Over My Rose

A/N: This picks up moments after the last chapter ended.

 

They both put their phones away and proceeded to re-heat the lunch they found in the refrigerator. It took only a couple of minutes for them to finish heating lunch and they called Haru over to eat.

They were silent for a little bit, mostly because they were hungry, but partially because they didn’t know how to bring up the aquarium ‘date’. Lee Hi swallowed a huge bite and then addressed Haru.

“Haru-yah.”

“Mm?”

“Do you like turtles?” She nodded her head.

“Do you like turtles Lee Hi-unni?”

“Yes, they’re cute.”

“TOP-samcheon, do you like turtles?”

“I’ve never seen one.” Both Lee Hi and Haru stared at him in shock.

“TOP-samcheon has never seen a turtle?”

“Nope.”

“Not even during class trips,” Lee Hi asked.

TOP shook his head. “I’ve never been to the aquarium before so I never saw them.” He vaguely remembered missing school that day for getting in trouble.

“Haru-yah, I think we need to go to the aquarium to show TOP-sshi some turtles.”

Haru’s eyes widened. “Really?”

Lee Hi nodded. “Let’s go now. You can help me with the dishes, TOP-sshi will you clean up the living room?”

TOP’s lips almost twitched into a smile at her request (more like order) but he didn’t mind. He nodded and put his plate in the sink and began to pick up the crayons to put them away. He also called the company so they could provide a car (and a booster seat). Ten minutes later he got a text saying the car was there just as he put the last toy away.

“Hay-Lee Hi-sshi,” he caught himself. Phew that was a close one. “The car is here, are you almost finished?”

“Yes,” she said coming from the kitchen. They all quickly put on their coats and shoes and were in the car five minutes later. There were cameras installed in the car so Superman is Back could keep filming. Haru entered the left rear and Lee Hi helped her into the booster seat and then settled into the right rear seat.

“Lee Hi-sshi, aren’t you going to sit up here? I’ll look like a taxi driver.”

The girls in the back laughed and Lee Hi leaned forward in her seat saying, “Yes, ajusshi, please take us to the aquarium-”

“Ajusshi,” he laughed.

“TOP-samcheon, please take us to the aquarium,” Haru said from the back.

“Yes, I understand customer-nim.” He bowed his head slightly and the girls laughed again. He began driving and then spoke again. “Would you customers like to listen to the radio?”

Haru pulled on Lee Hi’s coat and whispered into her ear. Lee Hi smiled and nodded which caused TOP’s eyebrows to crinkle. What are they up to this time?

At the next stop light, Lee Hi passed forward her phone and said, “Haru-customer-nim was hoping you would play my phone for us.”

“Yes, of course,” TOP responded taking the phone and plugging it in. Immediately he smiled as he heard the beginning of Doom Dada playing.

“We are going to sing for you, Mr. Taxi driver,” Lee Hi said.

“Thank you very much, customer-nim,” TOP said with a head nod.

Lee Hi began first with the ‘long time no sees,’ then she passed the ‘mike’ to Haru who began rapping the first verse. They joined in together for the (very loud and not quite on pitch) chorus which had TOP chuckling in the front seat. Haru began the second verse and stopped before the fast part where to TOP’s surprise, Lee Hi picked it up. Haru giggled a little as Lee Hi rapped out the second part of the verse perfectly. Haru joined in again for the chorus.

“Lee Hi-sshi, I didn’t know you rapped this good.”

“I’ve been practicing a bit.”

“Can Unni rap the next part,” Haru asked. Lee Hi nodded, and to TOP’s utter amazement her rendition of the ‘mass media’ rap was as good as any other cover he’d ever heard. He applauded them when the song was over.

“Wah, you guys are really good. You should do a unit group.”

“Okay, let’s do it,” Haru said, making the two adults laugh. They sang the rest of the way to the aquarium (with participation from TOP this time). The production crew was only two cameramen luckily. TOP debated on whether or not to wear shades, but thought better of it when Lee Hi asked Haru if it was dark in the aquarium.

“A little bit, especially where the sharks are.” Lee Hi nodded and TOP dropped his sunglasses and hat back into the car.

They walked into the aquarium, TOP paid for the tickets, (after putting the ticket lady in a temporary coma) and walked inside. Immediately Haru made a beeline for a kiosk with various aquarium-themed headbands and pointed them out to her babysitters.

“Look at this,” she said. Much to Lee Hi and TOP’s surprise, she was pointing at the polar bear-eared headbands. “Lee Hi-unni and TOP-oppa should wear matching headbands so they won’t get lost.” TOP glanced at Lee Hi who was glancing back at him. Tablo totally told her to do this.

“That’s not a bad idea,” TOP voiced aloud. He was about to ask Lee Hi if she wanted one when he saw her pay the kiosk ahjusshi and place a pair of white ears on his head.

She and Haru giggled at the sight. “Very cute TOP-oppa,” Lee Hi said with a thumbs up. Haru copied her and repeated “Very cute.”

TOP caught himself before he could pout. “That’s not fair, I was going to pay.”

“I paid for yours, so you can pay for mine and we’ll be even.” TOP smiled, paid the ahjusshi (who seemed unfazed by the YG artists), and placed a pair of white ears on Lee Hi.

TOP gave her a thumbs up and said, “We look like mamma and papa bear from Goldilocks.”

Lee Hi laughed and played along. “Does our baby bear want a pair of ears too?”

Haru laughed but shook her head. “No. I want that one.” She pointed to a giant fish hat. Lee Hi and TOP laughed at her choice, but TOP ended up buying it for her anyways. “At least we won’t lose her. We’d be two polar bears searching for one fish.”

*          *          *

Their trip to the aquarium was surprisingly fun. They did encounter a couple of fans, but most of them were with their families so they left them alone for the most part. They watched the dolphin show, they went and saw the seals, lots of fish, the hatched sea turtles (which resulted in copious amounts of pictures) and the penguins, which for some reason reminded them of G-Dragon. They took a silly picture at the penguin tank and posted it on Instagram with the tag G-Dragon’stwins.

TOP had Haru on his lap while Lee Hi read the map. “We’ve seen almost all the animals here…except the dolphins. Haru-yah, do you want to see the dolphins?”

Haru immediately frowned and shook her head.”No.”

“Why not? I thought you liked dolphins.”

“The sharks are scary.”

“The sharks…? Oh…”  Lee Hi checked the map and saw the shark exhibit (which was right around the corner) was right before the dolphin exhibit. They would have to go through a tunnel within the tank of sharks to get to where the dolphins were. “Haru, are you still scared of sharks?”

Haru nodded. “Their teeth are scary.”

“Ah…but we have to go through the shark exhibit to see the dolphins…would you be able to go through if you held my hand?”

“…No…”

“What if you held TOP-oppa and my hand?” She shook her head. “What if I carried you like your appa did and you can cover your face with my shoulder?” Haru thought a second and then nodded. “That works? Okay, let’s do it!”

Haru was in the middle and Lee Hi held one hand while TOP held onto the other. They just saw the sign for the shark tunnel (complete with a scary-looking hammerhead) when Lee Hi felt a tug on her hand. She looked down expecting to see the resistance from Haru, but instead saw that it was TOP who had stopped unexpectedly.

Lee Hi walked back to him. “TOP-oppa, are you okay?” He was staring at the sign with the sharks.

“Lee Hi-sshi…I don’t think I like sharks,” he said, turning his head so he wouldn’t have to look at it.

Haru heard this. “TOP-oppa, are you scared of sharks too?” TOP nodded his head vigorously. Despite the situation, Lee Hi couldn’t help but find this gesture cute and endearing. “You can hide in Lee Hi-unni’s shoulder.”

Lee Hi immediately nodded. “It’s okay, just walk behind me so you won’t see anything.” TOP nodded and Lee Hi bent down to pick up Haru. The cameramen scurried to get in front while she adjusted Haru on her hip. “Is this good Haru? Can you see anything?”

Haru shook her head. TOP put his hand on Haru’s head for comfort and bent over Lee Hi’s shoulder like they planned. He was about to squeeze his eyes shut when he felt Lee Hi carefully slide her hand into his and give it a squeeze. Are you ready? He took a deep breath and squeezed back. Yes. They entered the tunnel and shuffled along at snails’ pace due to the sheer volume of the crowd. Lee Hi was the only one of the three looking around while the other two never moved their heads from her shoulders.

After two intense minutes Lee Hi announced. “We made it!” Immediately both of them looked up and Lee Hi put Haru down. TOP whispered a quick “thanks” and was rewarded with a smile.

The dolphin exhibit was extremely crowded and the tank was lined with little kids pressing their bodies to the glass to get a better look. Haru was frowning. “How am I supposed to see,” she wondered aloud.

TOP had heard her and offered her a piggy-back ride. She agreed and he picked her up. “Can you see now Haru-yah?”

“Where’s Lee Hi-unni?” TOP’s heart immediately dropped. He began looking around. Where is she?! “I don’t see her…do you see her Haru-yah?”

“No…oh! There!” TOP looked to where she was pointing, and sure enough, Lee Hi was getting pushed with the crowd toward the exit. She had managed to squish herself against the wall and waved to the other two. “Here,” she shouted with a wave.

Immediately TOP parted the crowd with his size and strode over to her in less than ten steps. He grabbed her outstretched hand with his left hand and tucked it into his right elbow below Haru’s leg. “So you don’t get lost…” he said. He could already feel his ears getting warm from this move and he prayed for someone to say something to diffuse the situation.

“Wah…Haru-yah did you see that? TOP-oppa that was really cool, you should use that in your next drama.”

Thank goodness for Lee Hi. “Alright. What kind of drama will this be?”

“Hmm…what do you think Haru-yah?”

“TOP-samcheon…should be a police officer and Lee Hi-unni can work with fish.”

“You mean an aquarium worker?”

“Yeah.”

Lee Hi raised an eyebrow at TOP. “You know, she could be onto something there.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah, someone could be stealing all of the fish in the aquarium and…ooh what if the cop went undercover as a worker at the aquarium to solve the case of serial fish-napping?” TOP burst out laughing and Haru joined in.

“So who’s the criminal mastermind behind the ‘fish-napping’,” TOP asked.

“Lee Haru!”

“What?!”

“I know right? That would be a huge twist if it was a child or teenager who was stealing all the fish.”

“I like the plot. Who should do the OST?”

“Fish-samcheon,” Haru piped up from TOP’s back.

TOP nodded. “That’s appropriate.”

“Who’s Fish-samcheon?”

“Daesung.” Lee Hi snorted rather ungracefully. TOP began leading her back to the dolphin exhibit. “He should also make a cameo as a janitor-ahjusshi.”

“Will all the BIGBANG members make a cameo?”

“Sure. Jiyong can be your boss with weird hair and Taeyang can be my police partner and Seungri…”

“Seungri should be the police chief.” Now TOP snorted ungracefully.

“Can appa and eomma be in the drama too?”

“Sure. Tablo-hyung and Jiyong can do the second OST-”

“Oh I look forward to that,” Lee Hi said, staring at the dolphins thoughtfully.

“-Yeah, and hyung can be the partner to the criminal.”

“What if he was also the homeroom teacher blackmailed into helping?”

“That would be good. And then he could have a crush on the child’s single mother played by Kang Hye-jung.”

Lee Hi nodded. “This would be a really good drama.”

There was a comfortable silence after this discussion and they quietly observed the miniature whales swimming around and making strange noises at each other. After Haru was satisfied they left the exhibit and ended up in the gift shop. TOP and Lee Hi fully expected Haru to ask for a plush toy or other sort of fish paraphernalia but instead she walked (rather quickly) out of the gift shop and to an aquarium statue of several swimming dolphins.

“TOP-samcheon, Lee Hi-unni can we take a picture with the dolphins?”

The two were surprised but agreed, asking an aquarium worker to take a picture of the three of them. A crowd began to gather as the three of them situated themselves in front of the statue. The aquarium worker grinned at how ‘uncomfortable’ the YG artists were together and decided to play a small trick. “Lee Hi-sshi, TOP-sshi, will you please scoot together more? I can’t get you both in the frame.” They nodded and stood shoulder-to-shoulder together. Bystanders were already taking pictures of them and were squealing at TOP.

“Aquarium-ahjusshi, please take lots of photos,” Haru said, causing the crowd to laugh.

TOP and Lee Hi smiled at this and the ‘aquarium-ahjusshi’ took a picture. Then TOP got an idea. “Lee Hi-sshi, Haru-yah, let’s pose like this was the poster for that drama we were talking about earlier.”

Haru nodded. “Okay, let’s do that.” Sheik as ever the two thought. Their next pictures were a lot more interesting to say the least. The crowd was loving the silly poses the three were doing and the three themselves were having just as much fun mock-acting a drama poster. They did an elegant style, a silly one, an aegyo one, one where the criminal (Haru) won and rode victoriously on the dolphin statue, one where the mamma and papa polar bears carried the fish and tried to eat her, and one sort of like a family shot where Lee Hi held onto TOP’s arm (everyone catcalled at this one) and TOP carried Haru.

Suddenly from almost nowhere a halmoni came forward and clasped TOP’s hand. “Aigoo, such a beautiful family you have. Your wife is so pretty, how old is your daughter? Aigoo, she’s so pretty.” Luckily the halmoni’s guardian came conveniently at that time, apologized, and led her away. Just before she exited the ring of onlookers, TOP called out to her. “Halmonim!”

She and her guardian turned and the halmoni smiled pleasantly. “Yes?”

He picked up Haru and put her on his hip. “Our baby fish is cute isn’t she?” Everyone in the audience plus Haru and Lee Hi laughed. The halmoni nodded and laughed before shuffling away. Haru was giggling as TOP put her down. “Baby fish,” she repeated. “That’s not my name.”

“It can be a nickname. You already have a fish-samcheon and a TOP-samcheon.”

Haru nodded. “Okay, but TOP-samcheon…”

“Hmm?”

“Lee Hi-unni needs a nickname too.” She already has one TOP thought wryly. He was about to inquire for suggested nicknames when Haru charged off to the aquarium-ajusshi.

“Aquarium-ajusshi, can I take a picture of TOP-samcheon and Lee Hi-unni?” The crowd reaction (and ajusshi’s) was excited to say the least.

TOP and Lee Hi looked at each other and shrugged. There’s no way we can say no to Haru in this situation. The aquarium-ajusshi was kneeling, holding the camera for Haru so all she had to do was push the button. Lee Hi and TOP immediately bowed. “Thank you aquarium-ajusshi,” they said in unison.

Lee Hi immediately laughed. “TOP-oppa, are you copying me?”

“No,” he said joining her laugh. He poked her shoulder teasingly and then said “We looked like a unit group when we bowed like that.”

Apparently the fans heard this (with their supersonic hearing) and began chanting “HITOP! HITOP! HITOP!” Even Haru raised her fist and began chanting with them.

Lee Hi and TOP were almost collapsing from their laughs, but Lee Hi got up first and whispered something into TOP’s ear. He nodded and motioned for the crowd to be quiet. Then Lee Hi counted off “One, two, three!” They bowed simultaneously. “Anyeonghaseyo, we are HITOP!” TOP did a traditional thumbs-up while Lee Hi put up a peace sign. They glanced at each other, realized it wasn’t in sync, and  then Lee Hi surprised the crowd (and TOP) by putting up half of a heart over her head. TOP took the meaning, squatted a little and completed the other half of the heart with a smile.

“Wait, wait,” Haru shouted. She counted off and they heard the shutter of the phone. The picture was taken and a new ‘unit group’ was formed. Haru laughed at the picture and shouted “One more!”

“What should we do Haru,” Lee Hi asked her.

Haru thought a second, then whispered to the aquarium-ajusshi. He barked a laugh, nodded, and began pushing buttons on the phone. “Greetings,” Haru said.

TOP grinned. “You want us to do our unit greeting again?”

“Yup!”

Lee Hi counted them off again. “One, two, three, anyeonghaseyo, we are HITOP,” they did their cheesy heart again. Then Lee Hi stepped forward and bowed to Haru’s camera. “Anyeonghaseyo, I’m Lee Hi, leader and rapper of HITOP. The crowd again cracked up at this and TOP laughed, remembering their conversation in the car. He allowed a bit of Bingu TOP to take over as he slid in front of Lee Hi for his greeting. “Annyeonghaseyo I am TOP, dancer and makne of HITOP, please take care of me,” he said adding a bit of cheesy aegyo. The crowd was loving it and Haru was bouncing up and down while laughing (the aquarium ajusshi kept the phone steady).

With their video greeting, Haru was satisfied and the crowd slowly dispersed as they trio left for the parking lot. (Not before profusely thanking the ajusshi and asking the crowd to ‘anticipate their debut’. Haru was surprisingly looking forward to it and announced to the crowd that she would write a song for them.)

TOP had just buckled when he asked, “Is anyone hungry?” Both girls raised their hands. “Ah geez,” he said good naturedly. “What do my customers want to eat?”

“Hweh,” Haru shouted.

“Ooh, hweh sounds good!”

“Do either of you know a hweh restaurant nearby?”

“Yes,” Lee Hi said.

“Really?”

“Yeah, it’s actually really near here. Make the next left and you can park on the street.”

“Oh, I’ve been there,” TOP said. Now he was excited. That place had damn good fish. About ten minutes later they found the restaurant and began ordering. An hour later they were leaving, happily stuffed with delicious hweh. They drove back to the apartment complex and returned inside a little before 8.

“Your appa will be here in half an hour Haru, is there anything else you want to do before we leave?”

“Can we watch Frozen?” Lee Hi glanced at TOP who shrugged and she nodded in agreement. The three settled down on the couch (Haru had surprisingly run out of energy) and began watching the movie. TOP sat on the left with Haru in the middle and Lee Hi on the right. They all laughed at the jokes, sang along to Let it Go (half in Korean, half in English), and sleepily enjoyed the movie.

*          *          *

At 9:00 Tablo snuck inside, feeling bad that his business in the YG building ran longer than expected. He was about to call out to see where everyone was but stopped upon entering the living room. Frozen was playing on the screen, but no one was watching. Somehow Haru ended up splayed between her two babysitters with her head on Lee Hi’s lap and her feet on TOP’s legs. While that was endearing in itself, he found Lee Hi’s head on TOP’s shoulder and TOP’s head resting on hers even more cute. Silently he pulled out his phone to snap a picture of the trio which he immediately sent to his wife.

*          *          *

Three weeks later Lee Hi and TOP were called into YG’s office. He sat in his chair, arms folded and glaring at the two of them. “Do you two know what today is?”

“…Sunday,” Lee Hi asked nervously.

“Yesterday the ‘Superman is Back’ episode featuring you two aired.” The two nodded. “I have not slept. At. All. Because of phone calls. Do you know why?” We are so busted was all they could think. “The internet, KBS, and YG PR have been calling me in regards to HITOP’s debut.” The two blinked in confusion. “I’m actually considering it since there aren’t many boy/girl duets in the industry.” Their jaws dropped. “There are no definite plans, but I thought you should know just in case. Teddy offered to write you a song and Tablo-sshi says Haru is interested in doing the cover art.” Is this real TOP thought. YG continued. “I’ll let you know by the end of the week. Dismissed.”

The two bowed and walked out of the office in a daze. YG waited until the door closed and then pressed an extension on his phone. There were two rings and then the phone was answered. “Yes,” Teddy asked.

“They bought it. You’re buying lunch.”

“DAMNIT!”

 

A/N: I spelled skeik wrong. But at least spell check didn't highlight it.