Chapter 10

It's Not Over My Rose

A/N: I'm thinking of calling their pairing HiTOP. Like the shoes but with more adorable awkwardness, can I do that?

 

Today was the day. Today was Lee Hi’s first live performance of her new single and for some reason, TOP was extremely nervous. He had arrived at the set for K-Pop Star 2 before anyone else and was sitting in his bear costume in the dressing room (aka the largest supply closet) with Seungri, Taeyang, and G-Dragon. Daesung was in Japan, but he sent his well wishes to the ‘HiTOP’ couple. Their excuse was again being there for ‘moral support’.

“So Hyung, why aren’t you ‘here’ again,” Seungri snickered.

TOP gave him a bored look. “I told Aghasshi that I had to shoot a commercial for a cell phone company today.”

“Really,” Seungri said, wiggling his eyebrows.

G-Dragon smacked him over the head. “Ya, he was. He did the shoot in 30 minutes then drove like a maniac to get here.”

Taeyang whistled. “Wow, Hyung really fell hard for her.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“C’mon Hyung, if you don’t like her, then I’m bald.” The remaining members looked at each other, then at Taeyang’s hair. Not a bad idea… Taeyang hadn’t noticed. “I’ll bet anything that you’ve liked her since…she came and told you she would have a new single.”

“I bet Taeyang’s hair that he’s liked her since New Years,” said Seungri.

“WHAT?”

“I also bet Taeyang’s hair, but he’s been in love with her since we went on Tour,” G-Dragon snickered.

TOP raised his eyebrows. “And what do you bet Youngbae?”

“I’m not betting my hair on anything!”

 “Then you lose. Can we shave him, Hyung?”

TOP was about to say something when their bickering was interrupted by his cell phone. He yelped and the rest of the group stared at him. He showed the caller ID. ‘Aghasshi’ was calling.

“ANSWER IT!”

“DON’T ANSWER IT!”

“TELL HER YOU’RE SICK!”

“TELL HER YOU’RE !” Everyone gaped at Seungri. “What? If you don’t want to talk to someone that’s the easiest way to get out of it…Psy-hyung avoided me for a week before he realized it was a joke.”

“I don’t think a young girl like Lee Hi would take that well…” TOP said. He stared at the phone again.

G-Dragon rolled his eyes. “Seriously Hyung…” He reached over and answered the call, turning it on speaker.

“Yobuseyo?” Lee Hi said awkwardly. TOP stared at the device as if he had never seen a phone before.

G-Dragon nudged his shoulder. “Um…Aghasshi?”

“Oppa!” Her voice sounded much happier now. The rest of the group snickered. “What was that?”

“Just the…people…with cameras…” The rest of the members were silently snickering at his speaking prowess.

“Oh yeah, I heard people with cameras go to photo shoots…” Lee Hi said cheekily. G-Dragon was now poking TOP’s side suggestively, Seungri was wiggling his eyebrows, and Taeyang was mouthing ‘marry her’. TOP turned around. “What can I do for you, Aghasshi?”

“Oh…um…” She paused. “I’m nervous…”

“Because it’s your comeback?”

“Well yes, but here…this was my first stage.” She drew a deep breath. “What if they don’t like it?”

TOP smiled at the phone. “Aghasshi, I think they will.”

“But-”

“The vocals are good, the style suits you, and I’m pretty sure your wardrobe noonas have made you look cute right?”

She giggled. “Yeah. Thank you Oppa. I just sort of wish you could watch the live show.”

“I will.” The members immediately waved their arms at him mouthing ‘DON’T TELL HER’. “I pre-recorded the show so I’ll watch it tonight.”  They gaped at him.

“Really? Will you give me critiques?”

“Of course, Aghasshi.” He smiled at the phone. “If you do well, I’ll treat you to a drink.”

“But I’m only 16.”

“One of the non-alcoholic variety. It’s orange.” She laughed. “It’s healthier than alcohol anyway.”

“Yes, Oppa.” G-Dragon tapped his shoulder and indicated to his watch. They would be up soon and it was time for Bear-sshi to make an appearance. “Aghasshi, I have to go.”

“Okay Oppa, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Are you,” he asked teasingly.

“I shouldn’t?” She sounded disappointed.

He chuckled. “Of course you should. Someone should listen to your post-performance happy moment.”

“Are you volunteering, Oppa?”

“I shouldn’t?”

“Of course you should. Bingu TOP can share my happy moment.” TOP’s jaw dropped and the other band members were fighting back fits of giggles.

“I-I’m sorry! I shouldn’t have assumed-”

TOP laughed outright. “It’s alright Aghasshi. Good luck today okay? I’ll keep my phone with me.”

“O-okay Oppa.” He hung up after they said good--bye and looked up. The band members were fighting giggles.

“What?”

“Hyung…” Taeyang began.

“You two are ADORABLE!!!!” Seungri squealed, running to tackle TOP. G-Dragon grabbed him by the collar.

“Ya, not the costume! C’mon Hyung, time to put your head on.”

They finished putting him in the costume and then snuck out of the closet. The three took their seats in the audience (as inconspicuously as possible) and TOP had just enough time to make it to the stage before the show started. The staff confirmed he was there and after a tense 10 minutes, Lee Hi showed up next to him. She gave him a smile and nod before stepping out onto the stage. TOP listened to her sing and smiled. She sounded wonderful onstage, even better than the track. Her choreography was flawless and he came on excited to dance with her. He went on more psyched for dancing then he ever had been, waving his arms and acting oh-so-adorable. Their parts synced well and it went off without a hitch, except for the part where he fell on his . He had a feeling he would be sore for the duration of the single promotion. The judges received the song well and TOP saw YG smile at Lee Hi and nod his head approvingly.

TOP was still in his bear costume when she called him for her ‘happy moment’. G-Dragon practically yanked his head (his real head and the bear one) off so he could answer it. Taeyang held up the phone to his ear and Seungri worked on getting the bear-sized t-shirt off of him.

“Yobuseyo,” he said breathlessly. Damn Jiyong yanks hard.

“Oppa?”

“How did it go?”

“It went so well! The judges really liked it and I saw JYP-” He let her tell him about it as the other band members wrestled him out of the costume. Without thinking he stepped out of the broom closet to get away from the other members who were making annoying kissy-faces…

…and froze. Lee Hi was not even ten feet away, still dressed in her pink dress and bear-eared hat, talking into her phone in a forgotten corner of backstage. She had a smile on her face and the blue bear in her arm as she talked. TOP felt an yank on his collar and the closet door slammed behind him. The other members had pulled him back into the closet, praying she hadn’t seen them.

“What was that,Oppa?”

“Uh…the door slammed next door…it’s the office of the…camera-holding guys, cameramen! The cameramen were having a meeting.” Way to be smooth…

“Oh, well okay. I’m all set with my happy moment Oppa, thanks for listening.”

“You’re welcome Aghasshi, I’ll text you tonight after I watch the recording, okay?”

“Thank you,” her voice was soft. He could practically hear her blush across the line. They hung up and the members of BIGBANG sighed in relief.

He felt exhausted by his performance and the events afterwards and contemplated some wine for that evening. He went home that night to watch the result of their hard training, opting out of the wine and settling for a glass of orange juice instead. He smiled at her obvious excitement on stage. She was having fun and he was happy for her. He texted her around 8 to tell her he’d seen it.

Oppa! What did you think? ~Lee Hi

It was really good Aghasshi, you sang well today. ~TOP

Are you sure Oppa? What can I improve on? ~Lee Hi

TOP was surprised. She really wants my critiques? He asked to be sure but she insisted she wanted his professional opinion on her performance. Reluctantly he gave her several small techniques on her intonation and style, unconsciously praying she wouldn’t be too upset.

Thank you, Oppa. Your critiques will help me a lot next week. I’m supposed to be on Inkigayo. :D ~Lee Hi

Well , is she really? He double-checked his schedule and sure enough, they had a slot for her performance that day.

Wonderful Aghasshi! Would you like me to watch it critically? ~TOP

No you don’t have to, I don’t want you to feel obligated. ~Lee Hi

I’ll pre-record it. ~TOP. TOP almost flung his phone across Seoul after he realized what he typed. WHY THE HELL DID I TYPE THAT?! What if I sound like a creepy sunbae? Or a crazed fan? she already knows I buy her albums, what if- His internal rambling was cut off when he got her text. His face relaxed.

I’d like that Oppa, thank you. ~Lee Hi.

And so began their tradition of TOP recording her shows, watching them, and sending her critiques through text.