Epilogue (Part 2)

You, Whom I Left Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changmin turned his attention towards Jungmoon’s profile. And stopped at his place; stunned right away once he read what has written there. At the background, Changmin could notice that Kylie said they have arrived at the backyard; and she was now pointing out whereas Changyeop and Jungmoon were. He could hear Jaejoong’s oh; seemed to finally realize the same thing as he did. Changmin did know that he would still have to look up, so he resolved his mind and looked up; right at the two kids. There, Changmin could see a boy who was cheering a little girl up; helping her to stand- and even to walk, since apparently the girls’ leg wasn’t as perfect. She was using a crutch, and Changmin knew it wasn’t because of a new wound. She did have a disability. As Changmin could see the Jungmoon kid was clinging and depended on the boy- Changyeop, everything suddenly seemed too familiar for him. And it was stung.

Changmin could feel Jaejoong squeezed his hand; a concerned look was on the other face. “I want to take the girl,” murmured Jaejoong; more to himself instead telling the world.

“Jungmoon?” Kylie responded nevertheless since she did hear the words. “She’s cute and everything, yes. But I’m not going to recommend her, Jaejoong- because I like you. We’re still working on her, in fact; taking her to psychiatrist once a week. She’s mentally unstable; periodically thinking herself as something worthless and besides, one of her legs isn’t in a best condition either.”

Jaejoong didn’t seem to care; neither Changmin was, though the taller almost said he didn’t want to.

Kylie sighed again. “Besides, she wouldn’t go without Changyeop,” added her.

 “Oh, I mean I want to take her too,” Jaejoong corrected automatically. “We’re taking both.”

On those words, Changmin immediately widened his eyes in shock and turned to look at Jaejoong- in disagreement. “Two?” he said aloud. “We have never had one before, Joongie. We’re not taking two, of course. Actually, why don’t we get back inside and pick the one Kylie has recommended us? There are some great kids already.”

Jaejoong just smiled softly instead; seemed to understand the panic in Changmin’s voice yet decided to still go on with his own plan. “I want them,” he said as he started back at Changmin. “They remind me of the good men around me; don’t you think? Especially Jungmoon, she’s so special.”

“She doesn’t look like me!” snapped Changmin back unknowingly.

“Never said she does, Minnie,” replied Jaejoong with an amused look on his face. Knowing Changmin too well, Jaejoong then moved his free hand and Changmin’s cheek with that. He knew why Changmin was so uneasy, and he knew that Changmin actually wanted to save her as well. Jaejoong was then tiptoeing and kissing Changmin’s temple softly; so that the other could relax a bit. “You do need no worries, Minnie. It is okay. We can do it; we can pick what’s left from her and make it whole once again. Don’t you trust my capability to fix her?”

“But-”

Jaejoong placed his thumb on Changmin’s lips before kissing it tenderly once again. “Trust me; trust us, Minnie,” he then said, giving one reassuring smile. “Besides, you’ve promised it’s my pick.”

Changmin took one deep breath and closed his eyes, resting his head on Jaejoong’s shoulder. He felt a on his back; and of course it wasn’t hard to know that was Jaejoong’s hand. Changmin kept telling himself that he needed to calm down, and that he was just being paranoid with no reason. He stayed on such position, ignoring Kylie or whoever might see them. All he needed was Jaejoong; and just by being there, the older has already helped him a lot. Once Changmin pulled himself back from Jaejoong, finally he could find his smile again. Changmin then leaned and pecked on Jaejoong’s lips again, whispering a ‘thank you’ right after.

Jaejoong smiled and patted Changmin’s cheeks. “Can I talk to them-?” asked him; more to Changmin as he felt the need of getting the other’s permission this time- in case the taller needed him around.

“Go ahead, Love,” replied Changmin with an approving smile.

With a bright smile back onto his face, Jaejoong was then practically skipping towards the kids; too happy to just walk normally. And of course, the kids noticed that there was a stranger went towards them as well- and the closer Jaejoong was, the more alerted they were. Jungmoon even instantly hid herself behind Changyeop’s small body. But Jaejoong ignored the cold shoulders still; squatted down right in front of them instead. “Say,” he greeted happily. “Do you want to have your own parent?”

Changyeop blinked; didn’t expect for such question in their first look at each other. “I- No. Thank you for your offer,” he then said carefully; still showing a hesitance on Jaejoong. “But you should get the other kid instead, Sir. I’m not leaving without Jungmoon.”

Jaejoong chuckled in amusement. “It seems people keep misunderstood with my words,” he said so casually. “I’m asking both of you. None of you will be left behind, I promise. You both are invited.”

“But- why?” asked Changyeop, couldn’t believe that Jaejoong wanted to adopt both of them. Before, there was no such case where people wanted to take Jungmoon; too troublesome, they said. “You’re kidding, right? There’s no good reason to take us.”

“You two remind me of someone important,” Jaejoong gave the reason right away, glancing towards his side- towards Changmin; so that the two of them could understand what he meant by someone. “You remind me of him, Sweetheart.” Jaejoong reached out and Jungmoon’s cheek, who then whimpered right away with the sudden intrusion of her personal space. “Oh, sorry,” added Jaejoong as soon as he noticed how uncomfortable the girl was.

Jungmoon forced herself to look at Changmin from Changyeop’s back, shaking her head immediately. “We don’t look alike at all,” whispered her.

Jaejoong smiled in understanding. “You look alike; more than you could imagine,” he explained. “He might seem strong now, but still there was a part of him as fragile. In the past, he didn’t even have a confidence to try taking what he wanted- what he needed. He always thought he didn’t deserve the world; and truthfully, he was in worse condition than you.”

Jungmoon still stared at Changmin in disbelief; didn’t think Jaejoong’s words made a sense.

“But he didn’t seem to like us,” Changyeop interrupted fearfully. “We can see what happened before from here too, you know.”

“Changminnie was just a bit too shy- oh wait, where’s my manner; I’m Jaejoong,” Jaejoong said as he grinned sheepishly at the other two. “You don’t need to be worried about him. He just doesn’t want to admit that you two do look alike.” He stopped for a second to look at the reaction in front of him. Once he was sure they understood it not in a bad way, Jaejoong then continued. “But I know him too well. I know he wants to take you home; he’s concerned about you even if he doesn’t show it off.”

“A- are you sure?” asked Changyeop.

“Of course,” Jaejoong replied with a wink. “We want to get you both home, but the question is… do you want to? We want to be your parents, but you’re free to decline the offer; no hard feeling, really. It is okay if, for example, you mind with male and male parents. I won’t be mad, it’s understandable.”

Changyeop widened his eyes and shook his head. “I’m fine with that,” said him; a bit too quick, even.

Jaejoong smiled warmly at Changyeop. “I take it as a yes from you, then,” he said before turning his attention towards Jungmoon. “Then how about you, Jungmoon?”

Jungmoon gripped on Changyeop hand tightly. “I- I will be a burden,” she said with her small voice. “I can’t even walk properly.”

“Changminnie was blind until three and half years ago,” replied Jaejoong, ignoring Changyeop as his focus was still on Jungmoon. After all, Jaejoong still needed to convince this little kid in front of him.

Jungmoon took a glance towards Changmin and Jaejoong alternately; seemed to be contemplated in some seconds, before finally nodding her head slowly. “Okay,” she answered hesitantly. “If Oppa go, then I will go too.”

“Great!” exclaimed Jaejoong aloud; instinctively wrapped his arms around the other two kids- even though the kids seemed to be more shocked as he was doing that. After all Jaejoong was more than just happy to be able getting an agreement with the two kids he wanted to have. Jaejoong was then turning around and forming his hands into a circle; telling Changmin indirectly that he got an okay.

Changmin smiled as he saw the sign from the distance, glad to see how happy Jaejoong was and also relieved to know that he could save the girl. No matter how he hated the old-self he could see from the girl, Changmin would still feel guilty if he had to leave the girl- Jungmoon behind. Changmin was then walking towards Jaejoong in a quick pace; before forced to stop right in front of Jaejoong as the older has already jumped onto Changmin- literally and hugged him oh-so-tight.

“Oh Minnie, I’m the happiest person in the earth!” claimed Jaejoong, immediately giving Changmin a quick peck on the lips. When his stare met with Kylie, he was then releasing himself from Changmin. “Kylie, let’s settle the things now and let the new dad have some talks with the kids.” He turned and gave Changmin the last wink, before leaving the younger alone with the kids.

There was an awkward silence as Changmin wasn’t sure how he needed to start a conversation with the kids. He then decided to sit on a bench near them, before turning his attention back to the other two. “Hey,” he called; silently slapped himself as he thought it might be too rude for kids. “Please sit down; it must be tiring for both of you to keep standing, isn’t it?”

At first, both of them were still hesitant to stay around Changmin. But then Changyeop took the lead and made both of them sitting right beside Changmin. In Changyeop’s mind, they have agreed to get adopted- so it would be weird if they weren’t able to talk normally with their supposedly parents.

“So,” Changmin started the conversation as he rested his head on the hand, looking straightly at the two kids beside him. “Has he said something like- that you look like me?”

Jungmoon knew the question was intended for her, so she nodded hesitantly- still wasn’t used with Changmin’s existence around her as the adult was a little bit too intimidating for his own good.

“And do you agree with him?” asked Changmin again.

“I… I told him that we don’t look alike at all,” answered Jungmoon.

“I have to agree with you,” Changmin replied quickly, making both Jungmoon and Changyeop feeling confused as it seemed to be different with what Jaejoong has told them. “You see, I’m not that weak. And I’m not clinging on someone like you do too. Can you actually see me in your position?”

“No…” answered Jungmoon, feeling small all of sudden.

Changmin sighed as his eyes were never leaving Jungmoon. “But I too have someone as important as Changyeop for you,” he then said softer than before. “Someone that I know I could always depend on no matter what; someone that would always forgive me whatever I’ve done, even if I’ve hurt him so bad; someone that never gave up to pull me up and make me raising my head. I have such kind of person that’s so dear for me as well.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter