Baby Steps

floWER

 

Rabi batted her eye lids open. Kris and Rayne were beginning to raise their voices, or, mostly Kris was, but either way it was waking her up. "I just want to keep you happy, do you not want that?" Kris said to Rayne as she attempted to move away from him. He grabbed her by the arm. "What has he offered you? For you to be his girl? Do you know how selfish that is?" Kris stared into Rayne's eyes. She stared back at him. She didn't know what to say. The last thing she wanted to do was argue with Kris, but he had to understand that she still needed time to think. Rabi sat up and stared at the two of them.

"I'm hungry." The girl said rubbing her eye, oblivious to the drama that had unfolded in the room. Rayne looked at her and rolled her eyes. Sometimes Rabi could be so dense it was scary. "When are we eating?" She continued standing up. Before Rayne could answer her question Hana burst into the room and hid behind Rabi. "Whoa! Hana, what's wrong?" She asked turning to the girl. Hana didn't look up or respond, she kept her head down hiding her brightly colored cheeks. Rabi patted the girl's shoulders holding her close. What ever happened it left the maknae too flustered to talk. Rabi looked at her leader. "We should go get food." Kris looked in between the three girls, giving Rayne one final look before allowing them to leave.

After food the girls made their way to the dance studio. The boys were already waiting for them. Well two of the guys were there anyway. Manager Kang stood there with another guy. The girls looked around and realized that Taemin was missing. "Girls, I have news for you." Manager said, approaching them with this new guy. "Taemin has dropped from the dance." Rayne and Hana both looked at Rabi. She looked at the guy standing in front of them.

"Is he replacing Taemin-ssi?" Rayne's eyebrows shot up. Rabi just used a polite form for Taemin's name. That never happened.

"Deh." Manager said, answering Rabi's question.

"Anneoyonghaseo, chonun Hoya imnida." The three girls smiled at him. Manager nodded and left the six idols to practice. Hoya walked over to Hana. "So, I'm going to be dancing with you." He said with small bow. Hana nodded. Rayne looked over to the him.

"Wait, if you're taking Taemin's part, then aren't you dancing with Rabi?" Kai walked up to Rayne.

"Ani, I'm taking Taemin's part." He said. "Since it's the more difficult part. I'll teach him my part to him." He said. Rabi looked at Kai as she sat on the floor stretching out her legs. Kai looked at her and smiled. She gave him a warm smile. She nodded in agreement to the change in partners. She wasn't sure if she could dance with Taemin for their debut. Not with all that has been happening lately. She felt more comfortable with Kai, at the moment anyway. The dancing machine hopped up, shaking out her legs.

"Okay girlies!, and fellas, let's get this thing on the road!" The other idols all took their positions and as the music played they danced. Hoya caught on to the dance moves fairly well. He and Hana did a good job together. Rayne and Dongwoo with their combined sass and swag they made one hell of a pair. Kai and Rabi were perfectly in sync.

***

Today was the day! The debut of floWER!

The three girls stood backstage with their dance partners and some of the trainees. Hana strayed away from the group to go take a look at the crowd. She poked her head out from behind the support beam ever so slightly. Her eyes grazed over the crowd. She looked around the VIP section where most of the SM family sat. Her eyes found EXO's table where the men sat around talking with one another waiting for the show to began. Her heart pounded as her eyes fell on Luhan. "Hana," Rabi came from behind her. "You should be with the group. We go on soon. Hana turned around and bowed slightly to her unni, quickly returning back to the group. Rabi looked around at the crowd. She was pleased with the turn out. She looked out at the VIP section and smiled as she saw the EXO members. A bigger smile crossed her face when she saw the SNSD members. So many SM idols were there, just waiting on the debut of floWER. Her smile fell, however, when she saw Taemin. Honestly she wished she was still dancing on stage with him, but she just couldn't handle the drama that came with him. She slowly made her way back to her group.

"Are you ready?" Kai asked approaching her, tucking a lose strand of hair behind her hair. She smiled up at him and nodded. "Nervous." Rabi didn't really think about it much, but since he asked she realized she really was nervous. She nodded again. He smiled at her, wrapping his arm around her waist. "Well, if it becomes too overbearing on stage just look at me ok?" Rabi smiled warmly at him. He was so supportive with her. She nodded as they joined the rest of the group. Kai kept his arm around Rabi's waist. He was going to use this performance to physically show Rabi how he felt. Over the weeks as he talked to her, slowly he would fall for her. And that day in the dance room with Taemin made him realize just how much he had fallen for her. As they took their places on stage Kai leaned down to whisper in Rabi's ear. "You look beautiful by the way." Rabi allowed herself to smile before the music began.

As soon as the lights went up Hana's eyes immediately fell on Luhan as she sung her lyrics. She attempted to look away. Her gaze fell on Yixing at times, but always went back to Luhan. He sat there smiling with his boyish charm. He tilted his head as he watched her. Hana's heart pounded against her chest as his eyes wouldn't leave hers, but she was somehow still able to keep up with the dance. Hoya was just as fluid as she was when it came down to dancing. As Rayne began to sing her eyes darted between Kris and Jonghyun. As she sung her lyrics she found herself staring straight into Jonghyun's eyes. He smiled, receiving a glance from s. He nodded to her, smiling as well. To Rayne the lyrics began to make so much more sense. "As I see you~" she sang, staring deeply into Jonghyun's eyes. "Who I can't touch, I hide because my small shadow might be seen." Kris watched and followed Rayne's gaze over to Jonghyun. He became uncomfortable. Why was she singing to him? Was this Rayne's way in saying she chose Jonghyun?

During Rabi's one line her and Taemin's eyes met. "Oh~ With trembling hands I carefully approach you." Taemin looked away, unable to maintain eye contact with her. The thought of them no longer being together dug a hole in his chest. Onew patted his maknae's back. Onew knew what he was feeling, and as the leader it was his job to be that shoulder s needed to lean on. Hana sang the next part of the song, meeting Yixing's eyes. Suddenly she felt her heart beating for her best friend. "The closer I get you, somehow the more afraid I am that you'll get further away." She sung this directly to Yixing. He smiled, hearing the lyrics, meeting her gaze.

"I'll always be with you." he mouthed to her. Hana quickly looked away, her face flushing bright red. What was she doing? She was so confused, but somehow the song her members sang helped her to make sense of her own cluttered mind. As Rabi sang her next part tears slowly began to form in her eyes. 

"The more I cover up my two eyes, I see you clearer." She loved Taemin, more than she could imagine, though singing this song she realized it was about time to let him go. Both her and Kai stood there face to face as Rayne sang her part. Kai began to worry. Even though it went against the dance, he reached up wiping away a stray tear ran down Rabi's cheek. She smiled at him, letting him know that she was ok. Taemin knew he couldn't leave his seat during the performance. All he could do was look away and blink away tears. His chest began to feel heavier. If only he hadn't lashed out like that during the last performance that would be him on stage dancing with his Bunbun. Instead another man took his place.

As Rayne sang her next line Kris popped into her mind. "The more I block my ears, I hear you all day." Those nights when he would talk her to sleep, or even call her to see if she was fine. Even before today's performance he called, just to calm her jitters. Thinking about it now, Jonghyun hasn't done anything like that with her. Maybe it was busy schedule that kept the communication between the two of them to a minimum. Even still Kris always found time out of his busy schedule to just check in on her. When Hana's next line came up she found herself searching for Yixing's gaze once more. 

"It's so hard to read your eyes. All day I'm cautious around you." She found herself singing to him more and more as the song continued. Since she was focusing on her dancing Rabi was able to think over everything. Kai has been by her side constantly pushing away the stress without actually having to be near her. There was a slight pause and she found Onew's eyes. He gave her that leader like stare and his words rung in her head. 'Stick to one member, or none at all.' And suddenly Rabi knew what to do. When her line came, she broke suit of the dance, turning to Kai when she was supposed to face the audience. It wasn't like she planned it. It just felt like the right thing to do. 

"Oh~ please come closer so you can feel my love." She sang softly brushing her hand against his face. Kai blushed, he knew this was not a part of the dance, but he kept his stage front on, smirking ever so slightly. It seems all the girls broke just slightly from the dance. Rayne stepped forward, outstretching her arm to Kris as she sang.

"...five, six, my entire body walks only seeing you." Kris' heart skipped a beat. He raised his head ever so slightly meeting her full gaze. He glanced over at Jonghyun for a second who leaned forward in his chair. What happened? She was just singing to him in the beginning of the song. Why turn to Kris? Was this her final decision? For the second part of the chorus Hana kept her eyes on Yixing. it wasn't that she didn't like Luhan, she cared about him, a lot. It was just that Yixing has been there for her for a while. He didn't make her nervous, he didn't stress her out, and he never did anything to make her uncomfortable.

"...five, six, even tomorrow, walk towards me." This was it for Hana. She didn't know much about love, but she did know that she felt strongly for Yixing. She couldn't help a smile as she looked at him. He nodded, really paying attention to the lyrics. As he decided before, he would take things slowly with her. 'Baby Steps' he thought to himself with a small chuckle.

"Even today I walk toward you with tearful steps," Rabi sang now to Kai, more tears filling her eyes as they danced around each other. "I wait for the day I will touch your heart." If only Rabi knew, she already touched Kai's heart, in more ways than she even knew. As the song ended and the girls made their way backstage, they were met by their idol friends. However the girls couldn't stay to talk. They had to get ready for their next song, 'Twinkle.'

Even though this song had a completely different feel than the last the girls all had a new confidence as the sang. Rayne's sass was more prominent now than any other time. She strutted around stage hitting her notes on point. She knew Jonghyun was watching her. She was going to show him the jewel he never paid attention to. A part of heart still went out to Jonghyun, but he seemed more into himself and the thought of having a girl on his arm than he did into Rayne. Hana normally didn't show much confidence for this dance but just the thought that Yixing sat in the audience rooting for her. She showed all of Korea just how sassy little innocent Hana could be. As Rabi danced she thought to herself 'This is it.' This was the official start of her new career. As she strutted around stage she wanted to let her SHINee members that she was fine. It was time to let their little bunny hop free.

***

After a long busy day the girls walked into their dorm to find three EXO members greeting them with a large cake and balloons. Kris approached Rayne, sharing a kiss with her in front of his and her members. Yixing smiled, giving Hana a warm hugged and mumbled a congratulations into her ear. Kai slowly approached Rabi, she looked away from him. He lifted her chin so their eyes could meet. She couldn't help a laugh as she stared back. He laughed back hugging her.

"Congratulations, Rabbit." He said, stealing the nickname he heard Rayne use before.

"Gomawo Taeminnie-" Everyone's eyes in the room shot to her. She stood there, staring at the guy in front of her, who was not Taaemin. Rabi ran into her room, closing the door behind her. Kai stood there still unable to process what just happened.