Ninth Catch

Parachute

After work, I walked out of the store and saw Jaehyo standing just a few feet before me. He extended a hand out and waited for me to take hold of it. Without hesitation, I reached out and grabbed onto his hand. We walked, hand-in-hand, keeping quiet and enjoying the warm breeze that came and went. It wasn't until we were close to my apartment that Jaehyo finally spoke.
"The clarification," he began and looked over at me, "I've always told you that I love you, but you've never said it back to me." Jaehyo sighed, "I... don't even know if you're with me because you love me or some other reason. Or maybe, now, you don't want to be with me at all." He stopped walking and paused before continuing, "I actually got home yesterday afternoon and wanted to keep it a secret, so I decided to come and surprise you last night. But when I arrived at your place, I saw you talking to Kyung." I stiffened and was quickly reminded of last night. "Hearing you yell out to him about your emotions and how you just cannot seem to live without him, I began to doubt our relationship."
"Jaehyo,"
He sighed, "I know you still love him—probably more than you love me." he added, "But, even if you do, just know I'll stay with you as long as you still want me. I don't want to lose you, but if it hurts your heart to see Kyung then—"
"I always want you to stay by side," I squeezed Jaehyo's hand, "Always."
He smiled, "Then, I'll be here."
"I'm sorry for not telling you about that," I looked down, "I'm sorry."
"It's okay," he pulled me in for a hug, "I just don't like seeing you hurt."

-

"Tonight there's a dinner date I have with friends and my step-brother," Jaehyo informed as we walked to our math class together. "You're coming with me whether you like it or not."
I frowned, "Do I need to dress up like last time?"
He laughed, shaking his head, "Of course not. It's a casual dinner date, so wear whatever floats your boat." He swung our hands as we entered the classroom. "Just don't get nervous,"
"Why would I be nervous when you're by my side?"
"Well," Jaehyo tapped onto his chin with his index finger, "just prepare yourself."

Time raced by and I was standing before the bathroom mirror looking different than I had intended to look. My eyes were smothered darkly and lips painted a light red. I decided to leave curls in my hair. The shirt I chose was a blue blouse which matched my cream-colored pants. I felt more nervous than ever; every minute or so I would feel a beating jolt coming from different parts of my body. A knock was made on the bathroom door, surprising me yet I had half-expected to hear it.
"I-I'm coming out," I said just loud enough for Jaehyo to hear. With one last look at myself, I nodded and turned away to open the door. With a click, I opened the door and found Jaehyo standing before me with an astonished look.
"Wow," he breathed.
"It's too much isn't it?" I backed into the bathroom, but Jaehyo waved his hands before him with opposition.
"You looked great and perfect for the dinner date."
"You're just saying that," I frowned, "I think it's too much—"
"No," Jaehyo shook his head and took a step forward to stop me from closing the door. "Come on, we don't really have much time, so let's just go." He pleaded, "You don't look like you did too much; you look perfect."
I sighed, taking his word for it, "Fine. Let's go."

Once we arrived at the venue, I was unconcious at the fact that I didn't move an inch until Jaehyo whispered my name into my ear. I blinked and slightly turned my head to look at him. He smiled and took hold of my hand which sat comfortably on my lap.
"What happened to not being nervous?" He brought my left hand up to his lips, gently brushing it against my hand.
I exhaled, "Okay, I-I'm fine now. I'm good."
"Come on," he released my hand and opened the door to get out. I take in another breath and placed my hand on the door handle to open it. Jaehyo was already at my side as I got out of the car. He offered his hand and I take it immediately. We walked towards the restaurant and entered in.
The hostess greeted us with a smile, "Are you guys the couple a group of people are waiting for?" Jaehyo nodded in response. The hostess gestured a hand for us to follow her. She led us to a private room and nodded her head at the room, "Have a wonderful time."
We entered into the room; Jaehyo's name was called a couple of times by followed by the usual "you're late." I didn't take my eyes off of the ground as we walked towards the table and took our seats. I still held onto Jaehyo's hand, afraid of letting go of his hand because he was reason why I wasn't freaking out. It wasn't until I heard him speak. Looking up, I was frozen in surprise to see Kyung sitting before me. He had his attention on Hana, casually talking to her. I could feel Jaehyo squeeze my hand, probably having notice that I had finally seen Kyung. He turned to look at me and mouthed, "it's okay." I nodded, reassuring my own self that I was going to be okay. The rest of the dinner date went smoothly—or at least I think it did. I kept myself busying by eating and had a small conversation with Jaehyo as the others talked.

"Jaehyo, right?"
I lifted my head up and watched as Kyung leaned forward, a smirk crawling onto his thin lips. His eyes stared curiously at Jaehyo as he waited for a response. My head twitched to look over at Jaehyo and watched as he nodded back.
"You're Kyung," he stated, "or so I've heard."
"It seems that your date is quiet," he commented, "why don't you get her to say something? Contribute to our conversation."
"I don't mind her being quiet." He replied simply.
"Really," Kyung shifted his weight in the chair, "how do you expect her to be social if she just keeps zipped around others?"
Jaehyo leaned forward with his brows furrowed, "Well, socializing with others isn't something she's comfortable with so I respect that."
Kyung snickered, "Doesn't seem reasonable,"
"Maybe to you,"
Before Kyung could say something else, I said, "I'm sorry for keeping quiet." As soon as those words escaped my lips, the spotlight was quickly on me. I lifted my head up some more and looked at Kyung with a pinch of confidence to show that I wasn't some weakling. "I just didn't know if I should say anything because I'm not too sure what you guys are talking about." Kyung slightly cocked his head to the side at my comment.
Clearing his throat, Jaehyo turned to look at Hana, "Hana, what's up with you these days?" He asked, ending that conversation. Though I kept my head low, I could just almost see that Kyung's face had contort into annoyance.


After the dinner date, I excused myself to use the restroom before leaving. Hana quickly said she was going to come with me. My shoulders stiffened as we entered the restroom together. I quickly walked to a stall while Hana stood before the large rectangular mirror to look at herself. It was quiet for a couple of minutes, only the soft shuffling of clothes echoed. As I opened the stall door, I could feel Hana's eyes direct itself immediately at me as I wash my hands a sink away from her.
"Did you have a great time with us?" She asked.
I nodded and weakly answered, "Yes,"
"The tension between Jaehyo and Kyung was definitely interesting," she pointed out, "arguing over the fact that you barely talked." She turned her body towards me, "I don't know much about Kyung, but if I were to guess, I'm guessing you two have a history with each other."
I stiffened; slowly, I shook my head, "We just know each other." I answered, hoping she doesn't question me any further.
She stared at me with narrowed eyes for a couple of seconds before nodding, "Okay." Ending the conversation. After wiping my hands, I walked out of the restroom and headed for the exit. As soon as I stepped outside, I heard voices talking from the side and turned to look. Jaehyo and Kyung stood before each other, their facial expressions were hard and they stood with a confidence stance.

"I won't let her go," Jaehyo shook his head, "never ever let her go."
Kyung slightly cocked his head to the side, "I won't either," his lips mouthed my name as he continued, "I'll make her be mine before I go."
My eyes widened at his comment; I frozen at the spot, unsure if I should walk up to them.
Jaehyo scoffed, "She won't ever go back to you—not after what you did to her. It was me who mended her broken heart; you're only here to break it back to pieces." He nearly growled.
Kyung gave an indifferent laugh, "We'll see about that," his eyes flickered to me. Jaehyo followed the direction of Kyung's eyes and looked right at me. Before walking towards me, Jaehyo whispered something to Kyung which he reacted stiffly to. Jaehyo extended a hand out for me to grab and I do, but as I get into the car, I looked back and saw pain shadow Kyung's face.