Eigth Catch

Parachute

After Kyung drove off in his car, my phone rung—catching me off guard and breaking me away from the small reality I was in. I grabbed my phone and slid a finger across the screen without looking at it. Placing the device next to my ear, I breathed out a 'hello.'
Jaehyo said my name, "I just wanted to call,"
I sniffed back tears that had dared to spill and pulled a smile onto my face, "I'm missing you a lot,"
"Me too," he replied, "I'll come by tomorrow for lunch."
"Okay," I nodded, "I'll see you then."



I stared at my clock on my phone, noting to myself that I had about 5 minutes before it was noon. Jaehyo had told me he was going to have lunch with me, yet he wasn't even here yet. It was strange for him to be late because, normally, he would have arrived 10 minutes early—or even earlier. I sighed and leaned back against the wall. A knock was made on the door, interrupting me from thinking about my dream any further. I got up from the ground and walked towards the door. As soon as I opened it, I smiled, happy to see Jaehyo standing before me. He smiled back at me and immediately embraced me. I wrapped my arms around him and took in the scent that I had missed.
He pulled back and chuckled, "You look really pretty,"
"Thanks,"
"You hungry?"
I nodded and walked out, holding tightly onto Jaehyo's hand. We decided to walk since town wasn't too far from where I lived. He swung our hands as we walked and made small comments on the things around us like the weather. Though as he was saying these things, I found something odd about him - his smile. It wasn't him. I cleared my throat, "So how was your break?"

He slightly cocked his head to the side, "Well, it was okay, I guess. I went there for business and my dad was satisfied with then, so it was okay; I didn't do much though." He explained, "So... how was your break?" He asked with a slight hesitation.
I had planned on him asking me this question and had planned an answer. "It was fine. I finished assignments and was happy with it."
He nodded, "Anything interesting happen?"
I shook my head, "No,"
"Okay," he nonchantly said. We walked in silence until we arrived at a restaurant. As soon as we were seated, Jaehyo opened his menu and began to scan what he wanted to order.
Before opening my menu, I leaned forward and asked, "Is there something wrong?"
"No," he answered from behind his menu, "why do you ask?"
"You're acting strange," I answered.
"How so?"
"You haven't looked at me once we sat down," I replied, "you're not even looking at me as we talk." I pointed out and soon as I do, he looked away from the menu but his eyes averted a direct contact with mine. "What's wrong?"
"Sorry," Jaehyo set the menu down and sighed. "I think the stress of satisfying my dad kind of got to me so I'm acting like bum to you." He reached forward to touch my hand, assuring me that nothing other than that was the matter with him.
I shook my head and slowly slid my hand away from him, "It's okay."

The rest of our dinner we ate and mostly sat in silence. We had a ten minute talk about our math assignment but that was it. I had never felt so distant from Jaehyo. As we exit the restaurant, I grabbed onto Jaehyo's hand, expecting him to squeeze my hand in repsonse, but he just ignored it. I sighed and slid my hand from Jaehyo's.
He looked at me in surprise, "Something wrong?"
"No," I answered and fastened my walking, "just that I think I'm going to head back first."
He said my name weakly, "Don't walk home by yourself," his feet slapped against the cemented ground as he ran towards me. "I'm sorry, ok?"
I shook my head, "An apology isn't what I'm looking for,"
"Well, then, what exactly are you looking for?"
"An explanation," I answered, "about why you're acting like this,"
He paused before answering, "I'm just... stressed,"
"That's a lie," I spitted through my teethes, "if you were that stressed, you would have confined to me about why and asked for comfort."
He sighed and said my name, "Wait for me, will you?"
I kept walking, not daring to slow down my pace at all. I was only a couple feet away from reaching the steps of my apartment when a hand clasped around my wrist, stopping me taking another step. I didn't dare to turn and and look at him. "You can go home. Thanks for dinner." I jerked my hand from his grasp, but he only tightened it. "Let go!"
"No," Jaehyo protested and dragged me up the stairs to the door my apartment room. My back slammed against the door and he stood before me. He leaned inwards and breathed, "I... want to clarify something with you,"
"I don't have the time to play games with you, Jaehyo," I replied.

He ignored what I said and kissed me. His soft lips moved against mine, but I didn't dare to respond back. He pulled back, "You're really that pissed with me?"
"I already told you - "
He sighed; tracing a finger along my jawline, Jaehyo whispered, "You're different,"
I furrowed my brows in confusion, "What are you talking about?"
He smirked, dropping his finger, and took a step back, "I'll see you tomorrow." Turning his back on me, Jaehyo descended down the stairs. I stood there dumbfounded at his words and actions.



Walking into the room that Jaehyo and I tutor, I quickly took notice that Jaehyo was not there. I slowly walked towards the table that we usually sat at and wondered to myself where he could be. Maybe he was already here and left to go somewhere. If he were to come in late, he would have sent me a text before I arrived here. I let it slide and took a seat at the table, taking my things out of my bag and setting them on the table. Without another minute wasted, I decided to re-work a problem that I wasn't too sure of. After a couple of minutes Jaehyo had finally showed up. I waited for him to walk to the table and take his seat before asking him why he was late.
"Traffic was a bit busy this morning," he explained. After that, we worked on our assignments in another round of silence with a few small conversations here and there. Before I knew it, it was already time for me to head to my first class. As I gathered my things, I noticed that Jaehyo was tapping his foot rapidly. Something was definitely bothering him.
I slung the strap of my bag over my shoulder and turned to face Jaehyo, "Something on your mind?"
He looked up at me and shook his head, "No, why do you ask?"
I narrowed my eyes, "Last night you told me that you needed to clarify something with me before... kissing me. What was it?"
"I'll tell you later on," he assured me with a smile, "for now, you need to get to class before you're late." With that said, I nodded and walked out of the room. Though I had to admit that something did not feel right, like as if he was keeping something from me.

After my last class, I had expected to see Jaehyo waiting for me outside of the classroom, but I instead he wasn't there. My phone began to buzz. I took it out from my bag and noticed a text message from him. With a tap to my phone's screen, I opened and read aloud to myself the message: "Busy at this time, but I'll see you after work." I accepted his excuse and thought of no further reasons why he wasn't here.
I trust him and vice versa. I had been thinking about confessing to Jaehyo that I met Kyung over the break. I just didn't know how to bring it up. It would be random and uncalled for. Also the fact that I didn't know how he would react to it. I sighed and walked towards my bike. I guess I would just have to wait and see what happens tonight.

 


author's note: just realized I only have this week and next week before I go back to school. Gaaaaah! Anyways, thank you for reading as always!
@Yerlie303: Aw :C /handsyouaboxoftissues. lol yeah~ who to choose?! Thanks for reading ^^
@kissme4life_99: huzaah! Emotions! Exactly what I was going for lol so glad you're torn i mean, oh no~ haha thanks for reading!