First Landing

Parachute

 

Part Two: Landing
 
 
 
I was only a couple of days away from graduating.
 
Ever since breaking up with Kyung, I found my way back to isolation. I became the person I had always been. I hadn’t seen Kyung since the break-up either. Then again, he did mention that he wasn’t going to attend school anymore. I don’t know of his whereabouts; I don’t care of his whereabouts. I found that journeying into that kind of life with Kyung was only a dream. Everything that happened in those 2-3 months were numbed out of my life—especially learning about my dad’s death. I could never forgive a person who didn’t try to help someone who was as helpless. He had the chance to, but he didn’t take it. 
The way I see this situation, it was exactly like how I had explained that math applied to life. I was erasing all the problems that I had countered and starting anew. After graduation, I was going to move out and live in my own apartment. I had recently gotten my acceptance letter to a university far from home. I was going to be the mathematician I had set out for.
 
 
* * *
 
 
 
The sound of a gunshot sent my eyes to fly open from slumber; my whole face was covered in beads of sweat. I could hear the resounding pound of my heart deafen my ears. I raised a trembling hand up and placed it upon my chest. Breathing in, I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. The dream that I had wasn’t the first, so why was I so freaked out? I to my side and stared at the beaming red-lights of my alarm clock, which read 6am. With an initial thought, I decided that I should get up and get ready for my classes today. Going back to sleep would probably just tempt my mind into dreaming of that dream. I sat up and slid off of the bed. It had been almost 6 months since I’ve been living on my own, and I had to admit say that I really liked it. I didn’t have to deal with my step-father anymore, which made me more than happy.
 
As I entered into the bathroom, I switched on the lights and immediately my attention was on my reflection. Over the past months, the only physical change about me was my hair; it had grown to my waist. I’ve debated about cutting it, but with each day that passed by, I never found the time to have it cut. But, it wasn’t like it mattered anyways. I wasn’t trying to impress anyone. Without wasting another second of my morning, I the water faucet and began preparing myself for the day.
 
 
I exit my lone apartment; before heading off to the campus, I grabbed my bike which was leaning beside the wall of my apartment. I wiped the seat  with my hand before getting on it. With a push, I was on my way. It took me roughly ten minutes or so to get there. I put my bike in the racks and locked it. Just as I stood up from locking my bike, someone had pushed against me, forcing me to lean forward and have my hand slap the cemented ground. I looked up and watched as the person walked away from me without turning back around to say sorry. I frowned and just as I was about to help myself up, a hand appeared before me.
 
“Grab my hand; I’ll help you up,” a voice sounded, which sounded oddly familiar to me. I hesitated to grab the hand. The minute that our hands touch, the voice chuckled, “you shouldn’t be so hesitant when someone lends a hand.” I swallowed back a lump in my throat and slowly looked up to see the face of the hand. Soon I faced him at eye-level. He said my name with such care that I felt compelled by him. “Long time, no see, eh?” I could only stare at the face before me, surprised that I would even find him here. Everything about him seemed different. He chuckled another one when I don’t say anything, “Don’t tell me you forgot my name,”
I shook my head slowly, “Jaehyo,”
He smiled, “The last time I saw you was…” he trailed off; pausing to think.
“At the coffee shop,” I decided to fill in the blank, “just a couple months ago.” Though to be honest, I just saw him yesterday because we have the same math course together; but I didn't want to mention it because it would only make things awkward. I guess I’m not too surprised that he doesn’t notice me in class. Jaehyo was a social butterfly who talked to anyone and always had people surrounding him. I was surprised to see that he had decided to come to this school instead of a bigger university.
“Ah, right,” Jaehyo nodded, “sorry I stopped coming. I couldn’t find much time to come.” I shook my head in response. Looking down, I noticed that he was still holding onto my hand; to which he took notice also, and loosened his hand from mind, “Sorry,”
 
“Jaehyo,” a voice shouted and suddenly a crowd had formed around him, pushing me back. I took the moment to leave, seeing that I didn’t really have a reason to stand here.
 
-
 
 
After math class; before I could exit the classroom, I was stopped by a clasp to my wrist. I turned my head around and was surprised to see Jaehyo standing there. I furrowed my brows, confused as to what he was doing. Students passed us without a care, and soon the class was empty, leaving only me and Jaehyo. I took a small step back, “What is it?”
“You have this class?” I nodded in response, which Jaehyo chuckled and face palmed himself. “Sorry about earlier this morning,” he removed his hand from his face, “I bet I sounded like a jerk for asking when the last time I saw you when… we clearly had a class together and go to this college.”
I shook my head, “It’s okay,”
“You want to have lunch with me?” He asked. I stiffened at his question, which he noticed and chuckled, “Well, if you want to of course.” He let go of my hand. Guilt ate its way around my emotions at the tone he had used. Seeing that I really had no other choice, I nodded.
“Sure.” 
 
We walked out of the classroom and in silence until we reached the campus’ café.
 
“Jaehyo!” A voice called out; standing before us was a female waving happily at Jaehyo. The more I looked at her, the more I had recognized her. She had to be the girl Jaehyo was with that one day. Her hair seemed to have grown, but everything else looked the same. Her left brow arched as her attention shifted over to me. I stiffened, wondering if I should just make up an excuse. But I was too late as we soon stood before the female. “You’re late, mister.”
Jaehyo scratched the back of his head, “Sorry, I bumped into a…” he paused and turned to look at me, “acquaintance?” He asked, which I merely shrugged. I wasn’t even sure what my relationship with Jaehyo was. He was just someone I saw every now and then at the place I used to work.
The female raised her obviously painted brow and looked at me. I was star-struck seeing how beautiful she looked up close, despite the heavy make-up she wore. “Who are you?”  I cleared my throat and introduced myself to her, which she softly clucked her tongue in response. “Your name doesn’t sound familiar. Did you go to a different high school?”
I nodded.
 
“Enough questions,” Jaehyo flailed his arms in the air, “let’s go get something to eat. I am starving!” He walked forward, which the female stuck herself to Jaehyo’s side. I could have taken this chance to run away, but Jaehyo turned his head to look at me, “You coming?” I really had no other choice, so I nodded and followed the two from behind.
 
While with the two chatted, I had learned that the female’s name was Hana. She and Jaehyo had known each other since young, which would explain why she kept trying to exclude me from conversation. It wasn’t anything offensive to me though, since I’ve always been excluded from conversations. Tapping a finger onto the table, I listened vaguely to what Hana and Jaehyo were saying to each other. I wasn’t sure if I should try to keep up with their conversation or just sit there. Then again, the names popping from their mouths were of no recognition to me. Though I will have to say that Jaehyo didn’t sound too into the conversation. Every second or so, I could see him sneaking peeks at me—as if I was supposed to try engage myself in the conversation or something. I took a sip of my orange juice and turned my head the other way. I guess that I should’ve left when I had the chance to earlier.
 
The sound of a song goes off—Hana’s phone. She excused herself from the conversation and answered her phone. After a couple of seconds, she pulled the device from her face and sighed, “I have to leave for a club meeting.”
“Really,” Jaehyo flatly replied, “that’s too bad,”
Hana scowled at Jaehyo and extended a hand to touch his hand, “I’ll see you later though, right?”
“Maybe,” At his answer, Hana removed her hand and stood up; she completely ignored my existence and walked away from us. I cleared my throat and pushed the chair back, ready to tell Jaehyo that I was going to be on my way too. He noticed this and leaned forward, “Are you going too?”
I nodded, “Thanks for lunch.” 
 
-
 
 
Two hours after my 1 ‘o clock class ended, I walked to where my bike had been stationed. Unlocking the lock, I heard voices yelling and shouting from afar. I furrowed my brows, Strange… there shouldn’t be many students on the campus seeing that the latest classes have already ended. I got on my bike and rode out of the campus, loving the soft rush of wind that slipped between the strands of my hair. As I exit the campus, the shouting and yelling had returned and it sounded closer. Just as I turned to my head the left, I was surprised to see a group of boys huddled together. They seemed almost familiar to me. I slowed down to observe the group, not thinking that they would notice my presence.
 
“Rich jerks like you guys think you’re all that, huh?” One shouted, “Going to college and earning a degree.” Though I couldn’t see it, I was sure a punch was made. I cringed at the thought and turned my head back around; it wasn’t my problem to deal with anyways. Just as I was about to start pedaling, a voice yelled from within the group—and I was sure it was at me. Stupid as I was, I turned to look back at the group and my whole body jumped, seeing that their eyes were all on me. I quickly turned my head back and pedaled, knowing that it would be no use for them to even come after me. But before I was far enough away from the group, I could have sworn I heard my name being said from within the group.
 
Returning back to my apartment, I entered in and as soon as I took off my shoes, I plopped onto the ground and closed my eyes. Today felt more exhausting than other days. Maybe it was because I had bumped into Jaehyo. At the mention, I was reminded of the last time that I had seen him—and him not remembering, it seemed. The look on his face after watching the ambulance passed by was a look I had never seen him wear. It was almost horrid. Was someone he knew involved in an accident or something? I wondered this thought for a couple of seconds; it would probably be rude if I had just asked him about it. I shrugged off the thought and sat up. I might as well began working on my assignments.
 
 

author's note; this is part two (if you didn't notice the obvious from above roflmao). This time it'll be Jaehyo's relationship with Heroine ;D thanks for reading!!
@Yerlie303: lol it's okay i totally understand the situation ^^;;; here is your update! thank you so much for reading <3
@kissme4life_99: welcome back! (: haha who knows. thanks for reading!