Second Landing

Parachute

 

“X gets replaced by 5 because the solution has been found. If you aren’t sure, just plug 5 into x and if you end up the same number found in the problem, you’re doing it right.” The professor explained as he wrote down the last of his words on the board. I nodded to myself, and made a note of it onto my paper. “Feel free to leave after getting what you need,” the professor announced. The scratching sound of chairs being dragged across the floor echoed throughout the room; students leave the room one-by-one. I gathered my things at the last minute and just as I stood up, Jaehyo appeared right before my eyes. 
 
I furrowed my brows and shuffled my feet back a little, “Hi?”
 
“So,” he began with the narrowing of his eyes, “I remember a couple months ago you said that you do math tutoring, right?” I slowly nodded at his question, which he smiled in response. “Since we have math together, do you mind if I get tutored by you?”
I clenched my fist, not expecting him to ask me this. I stood there—for what seemed like hours—before I gave him an answer. “You want me to tutor you?” He nodded and shrugged his brows at me as if he were waiting for the answer that he wanted. I paused before talking again, “I… don’t give tutoring anymore.”
Jaehyo frowned and clasped his hands together, “I’m really terrible at math though; if you could just help me with it I’ll promise to never bug you or anything.” He pleaded. 
I cringed and shook my head in opposition, “Sorry,” I bowed my head and just as I walked past him, he grabbed my wrist. I turned around to look at Jaehyo and watched he turned to look at me with a content face.
“If you could just help me this one time,” he raised a finger, “it’ll be just like how I had helped you when my friend was being a jerk.” He reminded, which I stiffened at. He was going to use the guilty card on me? I clenched my jaw and tried to pry away, but Jaehyo opposed. “Just say yes and I’ll let you go.” At his words, I felt nostalgia hit my emotions. This was almost the same exact situation I had been in a couple months ago. I looked at Jaehyo, feeling uncomfortable with the contortion of his face. 
I scratched the back of my head and nodded, “Fine.”
Jaehyo relaxed his contorted face and put on a smile, “Thank you; I’ll repay you the best that I can. Whatever you want, I’ll do for you.”
“How about you let go of my hand,” I suggested, which he slipped his hand from mine. I turned and walked away from Jaehyo before he say anything else to me.
 
Walking out of the classroom, I shook my head. I definitely just had déjà vu.
 
-
 
 
The next morning; as I walked into my math class, my name was shouted across the room by none-other than Jaehyo. My cheeks flushed as the attention from everyone in the classroom were suddenly on me. I avoided any eye contact with them, especially the male waving ecstatically at me from across the room. Just as I reach my usual spot in the room, Jaehyo ran over to me and sat in the empty seat next to me. He laughed happily and it almost seemed like he was bouncing in the chair.
 
“So, what time are you free later on?” He asked.
I reviewed over my schedule for today in my head before giving him an answer, “How does 5pm sound like to you?” I asked, though I didn’t even want to meet up with him.
“Sounds great; we could probably meet up in the cafeteria and have dinner together.” He suggested, which I said nothing to. He said my name and suddenly whispered into my ear, “Unless you want to meet up somewhere where we can be alone.” I shook my head.
“N-No, the cafeteria is fine.”
“Great,” he smiled, “you don’t mind if I bring a couple of my friends along?”
“Sure.” I nodded.
 
 
 
After class, I hurried out of the classroom before Jaehyo could spot me. I did not like the attention brought on me this morning, so avoiding him was the only option for me. As I walked, my phone started to buzz within my pocket. I fished it out and noticed that I had gotten a missed call from an unknown number. I furrowed my brows and wondered who it could have been. Maybe some prankster. I rode my bike for a good 15 minutes before I reached my apartment; and as soon as I was inside of my apartment, I sprawled onto the ground. My head was spinning in circles from having to wake up for my 8am class, but now I was free as a bird… until later on.
I groaned and regretted accepting Jaehyo’s tutoring session. If only I had moved my feet a bit farther from him, he wouldn’t have been able to grab my hand and threatened to not let go. I sighed and to my side. Why would he even need my help in the first place? I’m sure he had friends who could help, seeing that he was surrounded by so many people this morning. 
 
-
 
 
5pm made its way on the clock and I found myself in panic. I really did not want to go, especially since Jaehyo had mentioned that he was going to bring his friends along. I didn’t want to have to meet people. My mind was racing with thoughts of what kind of excuse to give him. Maybe I could tell him that I’m sick? I shook my head and frowned. Lying to him would only enforce the idea to him that I don’t like him, which I kind of do—in a meeting-a-new-person way though. I sighed and decided that I was going. It wasn’t like I was going to be alone with him anyways.
 
It took me no less than 10 minutes to reach the campus cafeteria; and it didn’t take me any effort to have to search for him because the big crowd in the middle of the cafeteria proved that he would be there. I approached the group cautiously and searched for Jaehyo in the midst of the group. Though I couldn’t spot him, the minute I heard my name being said by him, my eyes averted to the voice. Jaehyo smiled at me and waved a hand for me to come over. I hesitated to do so, seeing that he had caused his friends to look at me as I walked towards him. Once I was beside him and sat down in the empty seat, I could feel multiple pairs of eyes staring at me. I couldn’t bring myself to look up or at Jaehyo. I fiddled with my fingers, unsure what to do in this kind of atmosphere.
 
“Relax,” his voice cooed softly into my right ear, “they aren’t going to bite you.”
I swallowed back and slightly looked up at Jaehyo, who smiled brightly and assuring at me. What was I even doing? How do I expect to tutor someone with this kind of environment? There’s distraction and conversation everywhere. My lips trembled to speak, but my voice opposed to be heard. What did I want to say—what could I even say? I shook my head, I shouldn’t be this nervous. This isn’t the first time I’ve faced a crowd of people… At that thought, a flash of memory raced in head—the time when I had stumbled across Kyung and his group. These people didn’t carry weapons, yet the aura brought upon them were just as frightening.
 
Run, his voice suddenly sounded in my head. My heart squeeze in response and I shook my head. What are you, an idiot? If you feel uncomfortable then take the chance to run! Why are you going stick around these kind of people if you can’t even speak a speck of word? I clenched my jaw; though I knew this was all in my head, I was annoyed by him. I’ll show that I can ignore these kinds of people without having to run away. Taking in a breath, I raised my head up and instantly, I could feel eyes divert their attention at me. As much as I wanted to run, I had promised that Jaehyo that I would help him with math. I couldn’t break the promise.
 
“J-Jaehyo,” I finally forced out, “do you mind if we go—”
 
“Ah, let’s go get something to eat; I’m starving, Jaehyo.”
“Already?” Jaehyo laughed, “You guys go on ahead; I’ll eat later.”
“You sure?”
“Yep! Go on ahead.” Within seconds the crowd dispersed and it was only me and Jaehyo sitting at the table. A quiet moment passed before he spoke, “Do you feel hungry?” I shook my head in response. Clearing my throat, I reached for my bag and pulled out a folder which contained the math assignment from earlier.
“Do you have your assignment with you?” I asked, opening the folder.
Jaehyo chuckled, “You’re really serious when it comes to assignments, aren’t you?”
I nodded, “Well, you did ask for me to tutor you.”
“Right,” Jaehyo exhaled, “I… don’t have mine with me at the moment,”
I furrowed my brows and looked to the side at him, “You don’t have it?”
He nodded, “I just thought—”
I closed my folder and interrupted him from saying anymore, “What am I doing even here?”
“I just thought I would invite you so you wouldn’t feel so alone in the class and meet others,”
I snickered and stood up, “Look, I don’t need friends to survive—I can live without having people who just want to a whiff of my personal life.”
“You don’t have put such a strong front, you know? It’s okay to feel weak in some situation and let someone know.” Jaehyo countered.
 
I cringed at his words. Why did they sound so familiar?
 
I let out a breath and turned to look at Jaehyo, “If you only asked me to tutor you because you think you can get to know me, then I don’t see how tutoring you will work out.” I stood up from the table, gathering my things, and walked away.
 

author's note; what is this twilight reference /shot lolol... sorry for a laaaaaaate update! I'm cramming for finals, speeches, and essays coming up ;__;
@Yerlie303: yes lol... thanks for reading ^^
@kissme4life_99: yup! haha who knows /shrugs... thanks for reading!