Fifteenth Flight

Parachute

 

I was irrevocably in love with Kyung.
 
He was the only person to ever intrude my life—yet, because of his intrusion, he had made me feel safe. Any kind of problem I had, I could tell him without feeling like it was too personal. I couldn’t dream of a day without Kyung in my life—he was part of my daily life now. I was spending my days happily with Kyung; but of course, a happy beginning always ends badly.
 
My tutor session with Kyung had ended about a two weeks ago, but it became too routine for us that we would meet every morning. One afternoon—after class—rather than leaving early, Kyung waited for me. I stood up and watched as he did the same; I raised a brow, “You aren’t leaving early?”
He shook his head, “I thought that I should walk you to work today because I won’t be able to walk you home later tonight.” He explained, “There’s something going on with the group, so I have to meet up with them at a classified location.” He whispered the last couple of words, hoping that no one would have overheard. “Are you okay with that?”
I nodded and assured him with a smile, “Of course,”
“Great,” he extended a hand and I grabbed it. We walked out of the classroom with our hands intertwining and swinging freely in the air. Once we exit out of the school gates, Kyung exhaled and looked over at me, “I feel so happy with you right now,”
“I do too,” I agreed.
“If I had said that to you a month ago, you probably would have ignored it.”
“That’s only because… my state of mind was uncorrelated,” I explained, “what I thought and what I believed is different from what I think and believe now. I’m able to feel like myself because of you.”
Kyung chuckled, “If you say things like that, it’ll only make me feel the need to—” he leaned in close to my ear, “kiss you right now.” He whispered, releasing my hand and wrapping his arm around my waist.
 
“Y-You wouldn’t,”
“You don’t believe me?”
I furrowed my brows, “We’re in public,”
He scowled and pulled me closer to him. Soon we made it to the front of the coffee shop. Time seem to fly by too quickly when I'm with him. Kyung parted from me and saluted me with two fingers, “I’ll call you after work, alright?”
I nodded, “I’ll be waiting for it.”
 
-
 
 
With the ringing of the door’s bell, I looked over to the side, surprised to see Jaehyo walking in… with a girl. Though I shouldn’t have felt a small pinch in my heart, it was present. I shook away the feeling and walked towards the front. Standing there, I waited for the two to walk up. They stood—hand in hand—a couple feet away from me as they tried to figure out what they wanted. I swallowed back a lump stuck in between my throat as I waited. The last time I had seen Jaehyo was almost a month ago—it was the day that I had seen an ambulance fly past me. Now that I was thinking about that day, I do wonder where it was heading to, especially since Jaehyo had gone after it. The sound of a knock interrupted me from wondering anymore. I blinked and turned my attention to Jaehyo, who smiled softly at me. 
 
He raised a hand to greet me, “Long time no see, right?”
I nodded in response, “Hi,”
“You’re still the quiet, huh?” He chuckled, “I’m sure you know what I want, right?”
For an unexplainable reason, I shrugged rather than giving him the answer he wanted. “I… don’t know,”
Jaehyo frowned, “Really?” He sighed, “Well—”
“I’ll get the mocha frappe,” the female interrupted Jaehyo, “this guy takes too long to know what he wants—especially in life.” She teased, which he lightly bumped his elbow at her. She laughed and kicked him, which he does back. I felt awkward standing there while the two flirted. Scratching the back of my head, I decided make what the female had ordered and let Jaehyo have his moment of decision-making.
 
“I’d like the white mocha,” Jaehyo shouted as I finished making the drink. I didn’t answer him back, though it wasn’t like he needed a confirmation that I had heard him. Walking back to the front, I handed the female her drink and quickly got started on Jaehyo’s drink. While doing so, I couldn’t help but overhear what they were conversing about.
 
“What are we going to do after this, Jaehyo?”
“Whatever you feel like doing of course,” Jaehyo replied with a laugh, “today is a day dedicated to you, right?” The female laughed happily at his answer and—I’m guessing—hugged him because Jaehyo grunted in response. With a sigh, I walked back and placed his drink on the counter. Jaehyo handed me a dollar, “You can keep the change,” he said and walked away with the girl.
 
Soon it was time for closing.
 
Turning around to face the moon, I sighed. It was unusual for me to walk alone home—then again, I used to walk home alone all the time. I began making my way home, ignoring any passerby. The streets were empty rather than crowded like usual; today was Friday too. What better way to spend a Friday than go out with friends? Well, at least for people who have friends. I couldn’t possibly relate because I no longer had friends to hang out with. After my dad’s death, I isolated myself from everyone and created a barrier which would only involve myself. Socializing with others became difficult for me because I had believed that no one knew the pain I was going through—no one would understand.
Suddenly, I had collided with another body. Looking up, I was staring into unfamiliar eyes. I cleared my throat and tried to pull away, but arms had secured itself around me. I gulped; my heart began to race uncontrollably. I clenched down on my jaw and tried to pull away again, but it was of no use.
 
“Such a pretty girl you are,” his raspy voice called out, “it’s no wonder he’s dating such a girl as you.” I furrowed my brows at his comment, but say nothing to it. Is this person affiliated with Kyung? I thought to myself.
 
“Let go of her!” The sound of his voice surprised me. I struggled to free myself from the man once more, but he only tightens his arms around me. The sound of Kyung’s footsteps neared us; he growled, “I said let go of her! She has nothing to do with our business,”
The man smirked, “She has something to do with you; you have something to do with us, so I believe that she’s part of our business now.”
 
Kyung growled in frustration, “You want us to accept the deal that badly?”
“Hey now, I believe it’s only fair that you guys do. After all, I had helped you guys last time with your money trouble.” He explained, “If not, I’ll simply take this girl with me right now and sell her off; then your debt with me will be cleared.”
“You wouldn’t dare,” Kyung’s voice darkened, “I swear if you—”
“Accept it or not,” the man interrupted Kyung, “either will end in a different result.”
 
I waited for Kyung to give the man an answer, but instead he was quiet. Why wasn’t he saying anything? Did he not just hear what the man had just said to him? He wasn’t planning to let this man sell me off, was he? I swallowed back a lump in my throat; glancing back at the man, I noticed that all of his attention was on Kyung. Maybe if I… without hesitation, I kneed the man in the groin, which resulted in him losing his grip on me. Though I should have ran towards Kyung, I didn’t. I ran past him and didn’t dare to turn back around. Kyung called for my name, but ignored him. If I hadn’t kicked the man, would Kyung have just let him sell me or would he have accepted the man’s deal? Either way, he shouldn't have hesitated to answer such a question.
 
-
 
I woke up with endless calls from Kyung. As much as I wanted to call him back, I didn’t. Last night, when he couldn’t even give the man a proper answer, I felt like I had been betrayed by Kyung. Why didn’t he just agree to what the man said? Though I don’t know what their deal was, he should have come up with something intelligent to trick the man. Yet he just stood there like it was a difficult decision. I sighed and decided that I shouldn’t stay mad at him forever. I did manage to get away from the guy, and Kyung was there in the nick of time. Suddenly my phone rang; without looking at the screen, I slid a finger across the device and placed it against my ear.
 
“Hello?” I greeted.
Kyung sighed and whispered my name in relief, “I-I’m sorry about last night,”
“Sorry? I snickered, You’re sorry that you didn’t answer the guy or sorry that I had gotten away?”
Kyung clucked his tongue, “You know what I mean,”
“Fine,”
“Let’s meet later at the library,” he informed, “I need to… tell you something,”
Something about his tone of voice raised a red flag in my head, but I ignored it. “Sure, we can meet later.” I nodded.
“Okay, I’ll see you then,”
“Okay.”
The other end of the phone line goes dead. I pull the device away from my ear and placed it onto the ground. Something was definitely different about Kyung. I wasn’t sure what it was, but I knew it was something.
 
 

author's note; /shotforupdatinglaterthanusual. I have like 4 weeks of school left & exams plus assignments are piling up in my agenda ;__; forgive me. lol other than that, thanks for reading!! Hope you guys enjoy! I'll probably only update once a week... maybe. Writer's block is eating away my ideas bleh
@Yerlie303: lol you're welcome ;D thank you for reading!! <3 i always look forward to your comments haha
@Acacia_Nightwing: Hm is the unsual plot a good or bad thing? D: lol well thanks for subscribing! I hope you enjoy this fic and if not OTL I'm sorry for wasting your time ;__; lol and thanks about the poster comment!