Ninth Landing

Parachute

After my 2pm class, I lazily walked to where my bike was parked and unlocked the chain. Before getting on my bike, I stood there for a couple of seconds, almost just dazed. The swirls in my head was starting to accumulate and body was weakening. I needed to get home and rest before work. That’s all I needed to do. With a nod, I got on my bike and carefully rode out of the campus and towards my apartment. I had to admit that I was a bit disappointed that Jaehyo wasn’t there after my class. I tried to shake it off as I entered into my apartment, but it kept bugging me. I had let my emotions take over and told him off. Maybe I was just being delusional about thinking that Hana was still in love with Jaehyo. What would I know about friends who looked out for each other anyways? Sighing, I walked to a certain spot in the room and lied down. Before taking a nap, I set an alarm on my phone to wake up for work.

-



I had survived work and felt super exhausted after. Walking out of the store, I greeted the mild chill of the wind. It felt nice against my burning skin. Every step that I took was slow and took up a lot of energy. I wasn’t even sure if I was going to make it home tonight. I thought of calling someone to help me home, but the only number I had was Jaehyo’s and the idea of calling him didn’t seem like a good idea. I was sure he was mad at me—I just knew that he was. Yawning, I felt my eyelids start to feel heavy, making it hard for me to watch where I was going. I squinted and tried my best to keep myself awake, but with each step, my eyelids started to close on me. I stopped walking, wobbling back a bit but I kept my balance. My breathing started to become loud and heavy. A throb in my head created aches to form. I placed a hand on the left side of my face and shook my head.
Suddenly, my name was called by a very familiar voice—his voice. The voice I yearned to hear for months now. I looked up immediately, but before I could catch the sight of his face, my eyes closed.


With a twitch from my foot, I woke up and found myself in my room.
“You’re awake,”
I shifted my gaze to the side to see Jaehyo sitting beside me with a look of relief on his face. Slightly moving, I parted my lips, “What happened?”
“You don’t recall?”
I shook my head.
“You pretty much fainted while walking home,” he explained, “I should have left my dorm early to wait for you, knowing that you were sick.”
I furrowed my brows, suddenly remembering that someone else had shown up before me. “Was… there someone else there when you saw me?”
“Someone else?” Jaehyo repeated; his face scrunched at the question as if he were thinking of how to respond. “No.”
“Are you sure?”
“Of course,” he nodded, “I was only a couple feet away from you when I saw you stopping in your tracks.”
“I could have sworn I saw… him,” I mumbled the last word quietly. Exhaling, I moved arm to rest on top of my stomach. “Thanks for saving me.” I gave him a faint smile before continuing, “And I’m sorry for this morning. I didn’t mean to tell you those things.”
“There’s no need to apologize,” he smiled at me, “I could understand why you said those things.”

“You do?”
He nodded, “I mean, I know that it seems that Hana is “in love” with me, but like I said before, her ‘love’ for me is just a remedy to fill up the hole in her heart. She’s really just looking out for me because she doesn’t want me falling in love with someone…” he trailed off.
“You’re in love with someone?” I asked dumbly.
Jaehyo sighed and twisted his lips, “Sometimes I wonder if you’re smart about love as you are with math.” He said, “Don’t you find it kind of obvious that… I like you?”
My breath stopped in between my throat; I breathed out slowly, “Like me… as a friend?”
Jaehyo laughed, “You said that I’m dumb to notice Hana’s ‘love’ but you seem more ignorant to my feelings for you.”
“You…” I wasn’t sure how to respond—heck, I wasn’t even sure if my feelings for Jaehyo was the same as his.
“You don’t have to answer back,” He maneuvered his hand towards the side of my face, “I can understand if you don’t feel the same about me, but just know that I’m starting to develop feelings for you.” A slight touch from his fingers sent an electric force to scatter throughout my body. Within an eye-blink, Jaehyo was only inches away from the side of my face. “Take a good rest tonight; I’ll see you tomorrow.” His lips touched my cheek for a long second before he pulled away. “Your face looks red.”
I quickly turned my face away from him, “Please leave,”
As soon as he exited my place, I noticed that my heart hadn’t stopped racing after his kiss to my cheek.

That night, as I tried to sleep, I could faintly feel Jaehyo’s warm lips on my cheek. It was like as if he had tattooed his warmth there to remind me of his feelings. Though, I would have to admit that he did make it obvious that he liked me—but, I thought he was just like that with every other girl. Turning to the other side—for what seemed like the millionth time—I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep. What exactly was keeping me from sleeping?

Don’t you find it kind of obvious that I like you? His voice echoed in my head. Just know that I’m starting to develop feelings for you…

I opened my eyes and stared blankly at the ceiling. Knowing that he was having feelings for me made my stomach twist in knots. I never expected to have this kind of relationship with him—then again, what was our relationship to begin with? I shook my head and came to a conclusion that I would need to face my feelings soon.

 

-



“Coffee for you,” Jaehyo presented as I walked towards our usual bench in the park. A full week had passed since Jaehyo had confessed to me. I avoided any eye contact with and made small talk when we were in our tutor session. I wasn’t sure how to act around him, knowing that he had these kinds of feelings for me. But I didn’t want things to be awkward.
I smiled, taking the coffee from Jaehyo’s hand, “Thanks,”
“So how was your sleep last night?” He asked me as soon as I sat down next to him.
“Good,” I answered, “so what do you need help with this morning—”
“How about we just enjoy the morning breeze?” Jaehyo interrupted.
I crossed my arms, “Enjoy the morning breeze?”
He nodded, “You know going out in the morning warms your body up and creates a sufficient amount of vitamin D in your body.” He informed and looked over at me. I furrowed my brows at him to which he chuckled, “What?”
“We only have thirty minutes before I have to leave for my 8am class,”
“I know,” Jaehyo slightly leaned back. Before I could say anything else, he changed the subject, “Tonight; do you want to come hang out with me and my friends?”
“Um—”
“I know you don’t work tonight,” he pointed out, “and I know you have nothing else to do.”
“I don’t know if I would feel comfortable in that kind of environment,”
“Well, why not?” He asked, “When was the last time you’ve ever gone out for some fun, huh?”
“I have better things to do,”
Jaehyo snorted, “You’re coming because I’m going to be at your place tonight.”
Though I wanted to argue back, I found it no use. I was just going to have to brace myself for tonight.

 


author's note: thank you for reading!!