Fourth Landing

Parachute

 

 

My last class had gotten out later than I expected. The sun had already begun to set; the moon was visibly seen just halfway to the top of the sky. As I walked to my bike, my phone buzzed from within my pocket. I fished it out within seconds and creased my brows at same number from the other day. Who could it be? Exhaling, I slid a finger across the screen the answer. “Hello?” I greeted with my name.
“Ah,” the caller spoke, “I’m calling to inform you that we’d like for you to work with for us.” My heart skipped a beat and I nodded happily, though she probably couldn’t see.
“Y-Yes, I would love to,”
“Great; how does tomorrow at 5 sound like to you?”
“Very good,” I answered.
“Great, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”
 
The phone line goes quiet as I pulled the cellular device away from my ear. A string of excitement bellows from within my body, which my legs respond by lifting up from the ground. My hands fly up in the air and I let out a small squeal of happiness.  I quickly got on my bike and rode home with a big, wide smile on my face.
 
-
 
 
Late that night, after my ramen was done cooking, I poured it into a bowl and set it on top of my small table. I smiled and grabbed my chopsticks setting beside the hot bowl. Before eating, I took out my phone from my back pocket and placed it besides me. Getting the call earlier definitely made my day. I felt the need to go out and celebrate, but I didn’t have anyone to call.
 
“I added my number to your contacts, so if you need me, just call.”
 
Jaehyo’s voice echoed throughout my head. Curious, I raised my phone to eye-level and tapped on the screen with my thumb navigating to my contacts. Within seconds I had found his number there—though I probably shouldn’t be surprised it took me less than a second since… I didn’t have any else’s number other than my mom’s. I stared at my phone for a long second before asking myself why I was contemplating to call Jaehyo. He didn’t need to know this. With a sigh, I tapped onto the screen. I had thought that I exited the contacts, but suddenly his number flashed onto the screen.
 
I panicked and sat there for a good two seconds before I realized that I needed to end the call before he picked up. I jumbled with the phone in my hand; but before I could press the end button, a small voice was heard. What do I do? I bit onto my lower lip and placed the phone next to my right ear.
 
“Hello?” His soothing voice asked and said my name.
I gulped, “U-Um, wrong number—”
“So you did call me,” Jaehyo interrupted with a chuckle, “who knew my number would be so handy.”
I scoffed, “Y-You should know that I did not call you. My finger slipped and I accidentally hit talk when I meant to hit delete!” I explained; the pounding of my heart began to escalate within my ribcage. “S-So—”
“There’s no need to make up an excuse,” Jaehyo interrupted again with a more tease to his voice, “if you just wanted to hear my voice then you could have said so.” He exhaled, “What are you up to, huh?” He asked as if we were really going to converse.
 
Unfortunately, rather than hanging up on him, I had gone along with his conversation. Something about him was luring me. I leaned back a little before answering his question, “I’m… eating ramen.”
“Ramen?” Jaehyo repeated, “Must taste good, huh?”
“Well, I haven’t exactly ate it yet. I just recently poured it into a bowl and waited for it to cool a little.” I answered him—more casually than I expected myself to.
“Well, maybe, if you want, we can go eat somewhere for dinner tomorrow.” He suggested.
 
“Sorry,” I shook my head and found myself telling him my news, “I just got a call about starting my new job tomorrow afternoon, so I won’t be able to have dinner with you.”
“Huh,” Jaehyo answered, “then what about our tutor session? You said you would help me right?”
 
I exhaled and nodded to myself, “We can… meet in the morning and probably the weekends, if you aren’t busy.” Though I couldn’t see it, I had a feeling that Jaehyo had smiled at my comment.
“That sounds like a deal to me,” he answered, “where should we meet up during the weekends?”
“Um—”
“How about your apartment?” He quickly said, “no one will be there to bother us—”
“No,” I shook my head, “we’ll meet… in the—”
“The park,” Jaehyo interrupted once again. “It’s supposed to be really nice this weekend and there are tables and benches provided so we can just sit there and have our sessions.” He explained, “What do you say?”
I was hesitant, but nodded. “Okay, sure; but what if it’s not nice on other weekends?”
“Well, I guess we have no other choice but to head to the local library.” He answered, “An hour or two isn’t that bad, is it?”
I shook my head, “No,”
“Great,” he answered, “I’ll see you then. Good night.”
I paused for a second, surprised to see that our conversation was already coming to an end. “G-Good night,” I replied back and pulled the phone away from my ear before Jaehyo could say anything else. I ended the conversation and placed my phone back on the table. Did I really just converse with someone on the phone? I shook my head and began to eat my ramen before it got too cold to eat.
-
 
 
“So this number gets cancelled?”
I nodded and pointed to a number on the assignment paper, “It’s because the number across it can go into it.” I explained. “It reduces that number which makes the problem simpler to work.”
“Ah,” Jaehyo nodded and quickly scribbled an ‘x’ onto the paper, “you’re really good at this, aren’t you?” I nodded in response and moved my attention over to my own paper. “So what are you majoring in, anyways?”
“Math,” I answered.
“Obvious,” Jaehyo mumbled to himself, “so, what job did you get?”
I paused; should I tell him where I work? I debated on this for a couple of seconds before coming to a conclusion, “Mm… The clothes store in downtown.” I answered. He wouldn’t try to come and bother me because the clothes store was female clothes store.
 
“Is it called… Vanity?” I stiffened, which he noticed and laughed. “I bet you’re wondering how I know, huh?” I don’t answer him, but I’m sure he had knew that I wanted to know. A smile played onto his thin lips, “Hana’s friend’s family own that shop.” He explained, “I’ve been dragged in there a couple of times to help Hana pick out clothing for certain events.”
 
I narrowed my eyes and decided to ask him a question that had been bothering me for a while now. “So, if you’re rich, why did you decide to attend this kind of college? Shouldn’t you be at a university?” I asked bluntly.
Jaehyo laughed, “What’s with this question?”
“I’m… curious,”
He leaned back and smiled, “Does it bother you?”
“Of course not,” I answered, “it’s your life. You live it the way you want.”
“I wish I could say that about every other part of my life,” he said softly.
 
I looked away from Jaehyo to the clock on the wall; time seemed to have consumed up quickly, seeing that I only had less than a minute or two before I had to attend my first class. Looking back at Jaehyo, I cleared my throat, “I have an 8 am class, so…”
“Go on,” Jaehyo smiled at me, “I’ll see you in math class later.” I gathered my things without another word and left the campus’ library. As I walked, I noted to myself that every conversation I had with Jaehyo was too… comfortable. I didn’t feel a wink of anxiety when I am around him. It’s strange.
 

author's note; thanks for reading! hope you guys liked it <3

@Yerlie303: haha! well, you'll see read soon enough ^^ thanks for reading!
@kissme4life_99: haha yeah.. who knows! thanks for reading! :)