Thirteenth Flight

Parachute

 

Slowly, I pried my eyes open to welcome the new day. A chuckle is heard —Kyung! I quickly sat up and noticed that I was in Kyung’s room—well, in his bed. I swallowed back a ball of spit and watched as Kyung walked towards me. My brows furrowed, “How did I get here?” I questioned, holding a hand out so he wouldn’t dare take another step towards me.
He smirked, “You don’t remember?”
 
I sat there for a couple of seconds, recuperating everything that had happened last night from meeting my step-dad to running away with Kyung and… kissing him. At the thought of that, I could feel my heart throw tampers. It wasn’t like me to do that, but I had done it willingly. After the kiss… I furrowed my brows, unable to remember what had happened after that. I chewed on my bottom lip and glanced up at Kyung, who shrugged his brow at me.
“Well?”
I cleared my throat, “Um… I kissed you,”
His lips curved upward at my answer, “And…?”
“And…” I shook my head, “I don’t know,”
He laughed and wrapped his fingers around my arm, then pulled himself towards me. His face was only inches away from mine; he exhaled, “You thought it was a great idea for us to start dating, then fell asleep as I was talking.”
 
“I did?”
Kyung snickered, “For someone who is smart at math, you have a dull memory.”
I scratched the back of my head, “Sorry,”
He shook his head, “Well, I think we should probably get ready for school… unless you just want to skip today.” He whispered the last part. I jerked my arm away from Kyung and slid out of the bed; but before I did anything else, I turned to look at him.
“How did I end up on your bed?”
“I carried you inside,”
“You didn’t do anything to me, did you?”
“Well, I might have gotten curious—” I punched his arm which he yelped at and laughed, “I was kidding.” 
I clucked my tongue, “Don’t kid around about stuff like that with me, Kyung.”
He nodded, “I’ll try to remember that,”
 
I sighed and looked around, “What time is it?”
“6 am,” he answered, “don’t worry though; school is nearby so it would only take us about 30 minutes or so to walk there.”
“I don’t have my uniform,”
“You can borrow another girl’s uniform,”
“I don’t know anyone who has an extra uniform,”
Kyung sighed, “Do you know who I am?”
-
 
 
“Where did you get this?” I asked as soon as Kyung presented a uniform before me. He just smiled and handed the uniform to me. “You didn’t steal this, did you?”
He laughed and shook his head, “I used to have a friend who attended our school, but she dropped out.” He explained, “I called her earlier if I could borrow her uniform for the day.”
I nodded, “I see,”
“I’ll wait out there,” he pointed out the door, “so hurry up, alright?”
 
I waited for him to walk out and completely close the door before I began to change out of my street clothes into the uniform. Fortunately, the clothes fit me, though I have to admit that it was a bit tight in places, I could still breathe. Inhaling, I decided to look around Kyung’s room. He wouldn’t mind if I do… I think. Taking a few steps forward, I extend a hand for a figurine sitting atop of his drawer. It was troll doll; it had blue hair that was combed upward and had a creepy smiling face. Placing the troll doll back onto the drawer, I noticed the corner of a picture sticking from under a pile of paper on the ground. I bend on my knees and just as I was about to reach for it, Kyung knocked on the door. I quickly stood up in surprise and walked towards the door.
 
“You done yet?”
“Y-Yeah,” I answered him and gave the door knob a twist to open it. Kyung smiled brightly at me from the other side of the door. “The uniform feels a bit tight though,” I informed him, feeling a bit uncomfortable, “but I guess it’ll do for the day.”
Kyung chuckled and scratched the back of his head, “Sorry, I thought it would fit you all right.” We stood facing each other for a couple of seconds before Kyung cleared his throat and grabbed my hand. “Might as well start walking now, huh?” He suggested.
 
I pulled back, stopping Kyung from dragging me along.“If we go out there, we’ll be seen.”
“And?”
I furrowed my brows, “What do you mean ‘and?’” I scowled, “People will think we… did something together last night, which we didn’t!” I explained, “Maybe I’ll come out from the back door and try to make it look like I got lost or something.”
Kyung chuckled at my scenario, “Why are you so worried about what people will think?”
“Because…” I paused, unable to come up with a reasonable answer, “well…”
He tugged on my hand, “You shouldn’t let the opinions of others affect you; they don’t know who you are and their opinion will be never be the case of who you are.” He explained, “And, even if someone were to say something about you, I’ll protect you from harm—from their words—no matter what.” He assured, giving my hand a soft squeeze, “Now come on; we can’t waste any more time standing here.”
 
Though I wanted to oppose, I didn’t; I guess I could say it was because hearing him say that he’ll protect me from harm really made me feel safe. It made me feel safer than ever. With a nod, I agreed and followed Kyung out of the house.
 
 
* *
 
 
Days became weeks, and weeks started to fill the empty spots of what was left of a month. I had been spending more time with Kyung and eventually found myself to be head-over-heels in love with him. Of course, it wasn’t a mystery to me how Kyung felt because he was just an open book. He told me whatever was on his mind and would often surprise me by telling me that he loved me. Hearing someone other than my parents tell me this was strange at first, but at the same time, it was words that I wanted to hear someone I truly cared about. One afternoon, I had gotten a text from my manager that I didn’t have to work tonight because she had someone else to work in my place. I sighed, which caught Kyung’s attention with a second.
 
Before letting him say anything, I turned to look at Kyung and lifted a finger, “No, I will not come over your place tonight,” I said, knowing that he would suggest something like this since he’s done so a bunch of times. I swear I’ve been over at his place more than I’ve been home. Half the time, I don’t know how I had unconsciously agree to going over when I had assignments to do.
He scowled at me, “I was just going to ask you why you had sighed,”
I paused for a second to think if I should tell him or not. Narrowing my eyes, I exhaled, “I don’t have work tonight.” As soon as those words left my lips, Kyung’s face had contorted into a big smile.
“Well, maybe we will be able to have our first date after all,”
“First date?” I repeated, furrowing my brows.
He nodded, “You know, dates that couples do to show how much they’re in love.”
I felt my stomach quench at his definition of a date, “I-I don’t know. We got a bunch of assignments to do and I think I should work on those instead of having to stay up all night to work on it.”
Kyung clucked his tongue, “Excuse. I’m sure you’ll get those done within an hour so,”
I scowled, “You have assignments to work on too, if you don’t know. We should probably work on them.” Kyung frowned, but within a second, it had washed away from his face as his brows perked up—probably having found a new idea.
 
“How about I come over your place then?” He suggested, “I’ve never been there; nor have you ever invited me.”
I stiffened at his suggestion, not sure if this was a great idea because my mom and step-dad could come home at any time. And, well, my step-dad isn’t very fond of Kyung after what had happened last time. I scratched the back of my head, “Uh, I don’t know. My mom could come home at any time,”
“I don’t think she will,” he commented.
“You don’t know though,”
He nodded and countered, “Yes, but you don’t know it either,”
By this point, I knew it was useless to argue with him. So without further ado, I sighed and nodded with the rolling of my eyes. Of course, seeing that we were going to be at my place, he wouldn’t be tempted to do something to me. Well, at least I hope.
 
 
“Second time I’ve stood before your house,” Kyung commented as we walked up the stairs. 
 
Just the mention of that night made me feel nostalgic. After coming home from school, my mom and step-dad were home and had been waiting for me. I knew what I had done was wrong, considering the fact that he was my step-dad and all, but I had done something to save my life. My mom asked me what happened, and I thoroughly explained that I decided to stay over at a friend’s house—which my step-dad quickly implicated that it was a boy. I was quick on my feet to defend myself and told my mom that I didn’t feel like coming home after because I didn’t feel safe to be home alone with him. 
My mom stayed quiet and only sighed, which was a sign that she was done with this conversation. My step-dad wanted to enforce some rules on me, but my mom said that I was a grown-up and I should know what kind of choices I am making. Though I should have been happy at her comment, I felt a bit sad at her words. It was like she was telling me that she didn’t care about me anymore.
 
As I twisted open the door, which creaked loudly, I called out with the usual greeting. No reply back. Entering in, I allowed Kyung to come in first. As I closed the door, Kyung began looking around the place. 
He sniffed as he turned to look at me, “Small place,”
“Well, what did you expect?” I answered, “I’m no Cinderella.”
He chuckled and nodded his head at me, “Come on; why are you just standing over there?”
I nodded and took off my shoes to slip of my pair of slippers. As I walked towards Kyung, I noticed that he never once took off the silly smile on his face. It was strange to see him all happy and excited just because he was inside of the place that I lived in. I cleared my throat and signaled my hand for him to follow me to my room. Once we were in, we sat on the ground and took out our assignments. We stayed quiet for a couple of minutes before Kyung began to ask his question on the assignment.
 
“What does it mean by finding y with that formula?” He pointed.
I quickly finish writing a number before looking over at his paper. I narrowed my eyes and within a second, had found the answer. I pointed a finger at the problem, “It means you need to take that number and subtract it from that number in order to find what y is.”
“Ah,” Kyung nodded and began to erase what he had written on the paper. But before he began to work on it, he leaned back and looked around my room. “I’m surprised to see that you sleep in such a spacious room,” he sarcastically said to me. He began to nosy around by leaning to the side and grabbing a box. I could care less what he found in the box because I didn’t really have anything to hide. Scribbling away on my assignment, I quickly noticed that Kyung had become incredibly quiet—which wasn’t like him.
 
Looking up, I noticed that he had a picture in his hands and he was staring at it with furrowed brows. I tilted my head to the side, “What’s wrong?”
He doesn’t look up from the picture, but he answered me, “This is… your dad, right?” He showed me the picture, which I nodded. Kyung paused for a couple of seconds before speaking again, “You resemble him.”
I laughed, “Well, I don’t know if I do,”
Kyung lifted the left corner of his lips, but said nothing more. This made me curious because the first time that I had mentioned my dad to Kyung, he stayed quiet and made the same face too.
 
 

author's note; SUSPENSE...? lol thanks for reading!!
@kretzuu: yep! lol ^^;
@kissme4life_99: ROFL <3 Happy [belated] Easter to you too! I didn't get to celebrate it though; was stuck in my dorm, working on an essay ;__; lol
@Yerlie303: haha yeah! Kyung is so lksjdflksdjf lol