Eleventh Landing

Parachute

As we stepped out of the building, I stopped walking and turned to face Jaehyo. He cocked his head to the side and gave me a smile. I cleared my throat, “I can walk home by myself,”
“I don’t mind walking you,”
“You have friends who are waiting for you,”
“They won’t mind,” he answered too cheerfully.
“Look,” I began, “I think you need to open your eyes and see Hana’s feelings for you. Saying that you like me doesn’t even matter because…” I stopped, unable to continue my sentence. What exactly was I going to say? Clenching my fist, I shook my head, “you annoy me.”
Jaehyo laughed—he laughed so casually that I couldn’t quite understand why.
“Okay, fine.” I turned away and began to walk, but he clasped a hand around my arm and twisted my body around. “Let go,” I pulled my arm.

Jaehyo said my name, “You think I need to open my eyes and see Hana’s feelings; I think you need to open your eyes and realize the feelings you have for me.”
“What are you even talking about?” I took a step back, “I… don’t feel anything for you—”
“Lies,” he perked a side smile, “the answers you gave Hana didn’t sound like it.”
I rolled my eyes and started to walk, ignoring the fact that Jaehyo’s hand was still around my arm. I could care less if he were to follow me back home, of course there was no way I was going to allow him inside. I took longer strides and pulled my arm away every other second, hoping Jaehyo would lose his grip on me. We get to the end of street and the sign before us flashed red. I stopped walking and felt Jaehyo’s hand slip from my arm.

“You’re really stubborn when it comes to opening up to people, aren’t you?” I don’t answer him. Jaehyo sighed, “I really wish that you would open your eyes because having a one-sided love isn’t fun.” Still, I don’t say anything to him.

“Please don’t follow me home,” I said as the red light flashed green for pedestrians to walk.


I was glad the next day was a weekend because that meant I wouldn’t have to see Jaehyo. I probably won’t meet him later on. I scrunched myself in fetus position and sighed. The poundings that echo throughout my body when he looks at me only meant one thing. Yet, I really did not want that one thing to be the only reason. I buried my face with my hands and exhaled. I needed to face myself and realize what the hell I am feeling. Well, I guess I’ll take these two days to think over it. If Jaehyo was going to visit me, then I’ll ignore his knocks. He calls, I won’t answer. I nodded at the plan.

 

-



Late Sunday; I sat on the ground, staring blankly at my phone. Not a single call or visit from Jaehyo. Was he doing this to mock me? I told myself to not answer him, yet here I was waiting for something from him. This was crazy. I’ve never felt so impatient, waiting for a call or a visit from someone. I tapped a finger on the surface of my phone and breathed. Maybe he was busy with something. But if he was, he should at least leave a message about not being able to make it to our tutor sessions, right? Ah, I don’t know. I lied on my back and placed the palms of my hands on the sides of my face.

He’s definitely mocking me. That smile he gave me was definitely mocking. He knew well that I… liked him, though I’m just starting to realize this now. I… like him—or maybe I’ve already started the process of falling for him. I closed my eyes and opened them, I’ve fallen for Jaehyo, haven’t I? Maybe this was what he meant by opening my eyes. I quickly sat up and grabbed my phone. Turning it on, I tapped the screen a couple of times before placing the device next to my ear. This was my only option now, seeing that he wasn’t going to do anything about it. A couple of rings sounded before the sound of his voice is heard on the other line.

“Impatient, aren’t we?”
“You’re a jerk,”
Jaehyo laughed, “That’s the first thing you say to me?”
“This is how you’re making me realize… my feelings,”
“Is it working?”
“I hate you,” I mumbled as a small smile found its way onto my lips.
“Do you want to meet up?” He asked, then quickly said, “Or well, let’s meet up. I’ll see you at the park in 20 minutes.”
“I’ll see you then,” I answered back and hung up. My whole body jolted with happiness as I stood up and walked towards the door. I slipped on my shoes and walked out of my apartment with a smile on my face. When I meet Jaehyo, I will tell him how I feel about him. Inhaling, I felt anew; something had changed about me and it was definitely for the better. It took me no less than five minutes to reach the park. I sat down on a bench and waited for Jaehyo to arrive; I glanced at the time on my phone and noted to myself that he should be here in about 10 minutes or so.

Footsteps sounded, which immediately caught my attention. Without thinking, I looked to the side, thinking it was Jaehyo, but I quickly regret my action. Standing before me was him—Kyung. With every small step he took, my heart shrank and stuttered to beat. Shocked as I was, I forced myself to not show it. The moon’s light shone on his face, revealing how structured his face had gotten and the sly smile on his thin lips. The sound of his voice flood my mind with memories of us—of our relationship. My heart pound with a loud thud, blocking out all sounds except the echoing of his voice. It was hard to believe that almost a year ago, I was with him and loved him with all of my heart. Nothing about him had changed, only his height. His hair changed from a rust-color red to a dark black and the apparel he wore was nothing but dark jeans and a buttoned up shirt. His eyes smirked at me, almost as if he were thinking about how I hadn't changed much either.
He said my name as he stood before me. I ignored him and turned my head the other, unable to face him. Heck, I was shocked to even see him randomly like this. He laughed and cleared his throat, “Well, long time no see to you too.”
Fist clenched, I stood and lifted my chin up to show that I no longer longed for him.
“My,” he parted his lips; his voice dripped of silk, which ran smoothly even with just one word, “it seems that you've gotten more confidence in yourself—raising your chin up at me and all.”
“I'm not the person you've once known,” I spoke, controlling the tremble that wanted to be heard in my voice.
“I can see that,” he took a step forward, “but you're still weak in the knee every time you see me, aren't you?” He teased, contorting the smile on his face into a smirk. At the comment, I could feel my guard jumble down just a bit; my legs even dare to weaken because of his comment, but I kept my stance. “I'm assuming you've been doing well ever since I've left.” He stated rather than questioned. I could only nod. There was a string that kept pulling me back from saying anything else to him. It was as if this string was trying to help me, but my mind opposed the idea of keeping quiet.
 
 “You seem to be doing quite well yourself, Kyung,” I steadied my voice at the sound of his name escaping my lips. Kyung also seemed surprised himself when I had said his name aloud. He laughed in amusement.
“Hearing your voice say my name brings back such a sense of nostalgia,” He commented. "Say, do you have a boyfriend?" He asked without hesitation, eyes staring at with me curiosity as to what my answer will be. I wasn't exactly expecting him to ask this question, seeing that this was our first meeting in such a while. My lips tremble to speak. What was I going to tell him? Nerves strike at my head, sending me small shocks to answer his question before my heart starts to clog up my hearing.
"Y-Yes," I forced out, "I'm supposed to meet him here,"
"I see," Kyung took a small step back, "I guess I should probably go before your boyfriend gets here and gets suspicious of me, huh?" He chuckled, "I'll see you... whenever." He waved and turned, walking away from me.
I bite down on my bottom lip, holding back the urge to call out his name. Quickly, I turn around and force myself to stay facing this way because if I were to turn around, I would definitely run to Kyung. Fist clenched, I close my eyes and inhale the cool night air. Just when I thought things were going to change for the better, I just had to meet him.

 


author's note: DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol thanks for reading!!!!